How Many of Us are 2 Channel Only? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 90Likes

post #61 of 230 Old 04-04-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Another +vote for 2-channel.
Jady Jenkins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 230 Old 04-04-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 35
NuDLP likes this.
post #63 of 230 Old 04-04-2017, 09:51 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 734 Post(s)
Liked: 527
I have two multichannel systems, 6.1 in the basement and 5.1 in the family room. However, when listening to music, I switch to pure direct mode which disables all digital processessing and runs only two channels. It really is the best of both of worlds.
ril850 likes this.

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 230 Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Two channel audio (HiFi) will always be better for music than a home theater system. And most good 2 channel stereo receivers or integrated amps will be better than a good AVR. I myself have a 2 channel set-up dedicated to HiFi music. Mind you it's an older one, quite old as a matter of fact. I plan on upgrading it in the near future and completely replace everything from the components to the speakers. However I also have a home theater set-up which I also use allot for music and am currently in the process of replacing some of the speakers for that to get better music performance. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds.

As for my current 2 channel set-up, it's in a spare bedroom and it consist of:

Technics stereo receiver
Teac CD player
Panasonic 8 track player
Dual turntable
B&W tower speakers (DM220)

Like I said it is all very old but still all works well. This was basically hand me down stuff from other people. Once I complete my home theater upgrade I am going to completely replace my 2 channel system. I tend to favor Cambridge Audio for the components and still up in the air over which speakers to get. But we will see when the time comes.
post #65 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 01:30 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout190 View Post
Two channel audio (HiFi) will always be better for music than a home theater system. And most good 2 channel stereo receivers or integrated amps will be better than a good AVR. I myself have a 2 channel set-up dedicated to HiFi music. Mind you it's an older one, quite old as a matter of fact. I plan on upgrading it in the near future and completely replace everything from the components to the speakers. However I also have a home theater set-up which I also use allot for music and am currently in the process of replacing some of the speakers for that to get better music performance. I'm trying to get the best of both worlds.

As for my current 2 channel set-up, it's in a spare bedroom and it consist of:

Technics stereo receiver
Teac CD player
Panasonic 8 track player
Dual turntable
B&W tower speakers (DM220)

Like I said it is all very old but still all works well. This was basically hand me down stuff from other people. Once I complete my home theater upgrade I am going to completely replace my 2 channel system. I tend to favor Cambridge Audio for the components and still up in the air over which speakers to get. But we will see when the time comes.
Can you elaborate why 2 channel will always be better for music than a home theater system? Good speakers are good speakers and are adept in both HT and 2 channel use.

Last edited by 3db; 04-07-2017 at 01:34 PM.
post #66 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3db View Post
Can you elaborate why 2 channel will always be better for music than a home theater system?
You can buy 2 really good speakers cheaper than buying 5 or 7 not so great speakers....

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #67 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 01:46 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
You can buy 2 really good speakers cheaper than buying 5 or 7 not so great speakers....
Sure that's a possibility but it isn't always that way. What if one has really good speakers for one's mains?
post #68 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sure that's a possibility but it isn't always that way. What if one has really good speakers for one's mains?
Well, everybody has a budget, some more than others. I don't necessary agree with a broad statement that 2 channel is always better than multi channel. My main point would be that two great loudspeakers sound better than multiple lessor speakers. I'm sure there are some great multi channel systems out there.
Jady Jenkins likes this.

post #69 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 02:04 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, everybody has a budget, some more than others. I don't necessary agree with a broad statement that 2 channel is always better than multi channel. My main point would be that two great loudspeakers sound better than multiple lessor speakers. I'm sure there are some great multi channel systems out there.
Yep, I agree.
post #70 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked: 2783
In a 2-Channel Audio forum, most would say "stereo only" (soup to nuts) is the best.
Some use an AVR (5.1+) and use "good" speakers for L/R for stereo only. Of course, that's assuming one selects "2 channel stereo" mode on the AVR.
Some may have 5 or more "good" speakers, but still only use 2 for music.
Some may have 2 great speakers for stereo and 3+ more "cheaper" speakers for other desires.
Some may prefer other alternatives. It doesn't make them bad people.

Why debate/argue?
Jady Jenkins likes this.

Last edited by Ratman; 04-07-2017 at 02:28 PM.
post #71 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
...Why debate/argue?
Why not?

post #72 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Can you elaborate why 2 channel will always be better for music than a home theater system? Good speakers are good speakers and are adept in both HT and 2 channel use.

Yes the speakers can be the same for both, but I was more so referring to the AV Receiver vs a 2 channel integrated amp or Stereo amp. Take the same set of speakers and connect it to an AVR and listen, then take those speakers and connect them to an integrated amp and you'll hear the difference.

A two channel amp does what it is made to do, play two channel stereo. There is no video processing or multichannel digital processing. This is also the reason a good CD player will sound better playing cd's than a blue-ray player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paraneer and Jady Jenkins like this.
post #73 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Why debate/argue?
Quote:
Why not?
Because it's not constructive or helpful.
post #74 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:

I'm not arguing, I'm answering his question

post #75 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:10 PM

That was in response to Russ69... (as quoted).
post #76 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
That was in response to Russ69... (as quoted).

Oh ok, my bad, lol. Still getting use to this tapatalk app, lol

post #77 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Darn it, there you go being right again....

post #78 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Darn it, there you go being right again....
Glad you agree. At least someone else can be "right" for a change.
post #79 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a 5.2 in the living room, 2.1 at the PC desk, 2 channel in the master bedroom, 4.1 in my den (2 pairs of book shelfs stacked on top of each other, switch between both, or all 4 at same time), and 2.0 in the garage.
post #80 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I eventually decided that once the speaker systems reach a certain level, the room acoustics start to play an increasingly important role. So I am less inclined to obsess over the amount spent on speaker quality versus speaker quantity.

Particularly in an irregularly shaped room with deep bass nulls from boundary interference and resonant modes, it is critical to have properly positioned and tuned subwoofers.

Then too, the natural ambiance of stereo bouncing off walls only really applies when the acoustics favor the ambiance. Lacking that, room treatments that deaden the ambiance, combined with surround synthesis, can actually be an improvement over just stereo.

Finally, if the ears are fading as well, critical audible clues to ambiance may be attenuated or completely absent from the perceived sound of room reflections, and surround synthesis may be the only way to hear anything approaching a naturally ambient sound field, particularly in a room with poor acoustics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post
My system is a bit different to most peoples as I don't use an AVR, and is set up so that for 2ch, the subs are actually the 4th way of the mains and for HT they use the LFE signal; it just requires a couple of relays for switching. The 2ch signal path is short and clean.
Where do you get your LFE signal from, if not from an AVR?

What crosses your subs for two channel?

Quote:
Two channel audio (HiFi) will always be better for music than a home theater system.
Surround music will always sound better on a surround system than it will on a two channel system. Many two channel compositions are more interesting to listen to when played back with modern ambiance decode such as my Neo:x 11.1, or Atmos surround synthesis etc. though sometimes not so much also. Depends on how well it renders.

Quote:
And most good 2 channel stereo receivers or integrated amps will be better than a good AVR.
An AVR is a stereo receiver with some added decoding and some extra channels, possibly with a beefier supply and improved cooling also if it is a really good one. There is no 'stereo magic' that extra channels remaining idle destroys during stereo playback, and even if there were, they could readily be powered down if desired.

Pure audio mode shuts down all digital processing and displays that might generate noise, though most people would never hear the difference anyway.

What specifically were you referring to when making this claim? I am unable to think of a single reason why it would be so.
BiGx5MurF likes this.
post #81 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
I eventually decided that once the speaker systems reach a certain level, the room acoustics start to play an increasingly important role. So I am less inclined to obsess over the amount spent on speaker quality versus speaker quantity.

Particularly in an irregularly shaped room with deep bass nulls from boundary interference and resonant modes, it is critical to have properly positioned and tuned subwoofers.

Then too, the natural ambiance of stereo bouncing off walls only really applies when the acoustics favor the ambiance. Lacking that, room treatments that deaden the ambiance, combined with surround synthesis, can actually be an improvement over just stereo.

Finally, if the ears are fading as well, critical audible clues to ambiance may be attenuated or completely absent from the perceived sound of room reflections, and surround synthesis may be the only way to hear anything approaching a naturally ambient sound field, particularly in a room with poor acoustics.

Where do you get your LFE signal from, if not from an AVR?

What crosses your subs for two channel?

Surround music will always sound better on a surround system than it will on a two channel system. Many two channel compositions are more interesting to listen to when played back with modern ambiance decode such as my Neo:x 11.1, or Atmos surround synthesis etc. though sometimes not so much also. Depends on how well it renders.

An AVR is a stereo receiver with some added decoding and some extra channels, possibly with a beefier supply and improved cooling also if it is a really good one. There is no 'stereo magic' that extra channels remaining idle destroys during stereo playback, and even if there were, they could readily be powered down if desired.

Pure audio mode shuts down all digital processing and displays that might generate noise, though most people would never hear the difference anyway.

What specifically were you referring to when making this claim? I am unable to think of a single reason why it would be so.

To each his own, ask most audiophiles or people in the music business if surround sound music is using AvRs is equally as good as two channel hifi systems. There is a reason why certain high end audio companies like naim only make 2 channel equipment.

If you like listening to music in digital surround than all the power to you. It's your preference. There are also people out there who will say that listening to music off there phone with $10 earbuds sound just as good as using a DAC with Grado headphones. All power to them. I know people who also believe that Ponderosa steak tastes just as good as Morton's steak. All power to them.

post #82 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Glad you agree. At least someone else can be "right" for a change.
Yes, it does get tiring being right all the time...but I'm managing pretty well.
Scotth3886 and Jady Jenkins like this.

post #83 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 04:56 PM

I do agree it is tiring and for some tough to manage when others disagree.

Now... back on topic?
post #84 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
To each his own, ask most audiophiles or people in the music business if surround sound music is using AvRs is equally as good as two channel hifi systems.
Audiophiles or people in the music business are neither circuit designers nor psychoacoustics researchers. Such people cannot provide a competent opinion on the specific claims you are making.

Quote:
There is a reason why certain high end audio companies like naim only make 2 channel equipment.
It is called a 'niche'.
post #85 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes the speakers can be the same for both, but I was more so referring to the AV Receiver vs a 2 channel integrated amp or Stereo amp. Take the same set of speakers and connect it to an AVR and listen, then take those speakers and connect them to an integrated amp and you'll hear the difference.

A two channel amp does what it is made to do, play two channel stereo. There is no video processing or multichannel digital processing. This is also the reason a good CD player will sound better playing cd's than a blue-ray player.

That's not been my experience moving from an integrated amp and dedicated CD player to an AVR and BluRay player. I have to say that both my Yamahas and BluRay players far exceed the performance of my previous system. It's not even close.
BiGx5MurF likes this.
post #86 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post
Audiophiles or people in the music business are neither circuit designers nor psychoacoustics researchers. Such people cannot provide a competent opinion on the specific claims you are making.
I agree. If people understood the importance of room acoustics and it's interactions with speakers, then the money spent on shoring up room acoustics would yield far more bang for your buck then tossing money out on pricey interconnects, speaker cables, and amplification.
post #87 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

I doubt the last statement.

post #88 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 08:49 PM

How Many of Us are 2 Channel Only?

Quote:
That's not been my experience moving from an integrated amp and dedicated CD player to an AVR and BluRay player. I have to say that both my Yamahas and BluRay players far exceed the performance of my previous system. It's not even close.

So then what was your previous system, what was your CD player and previous amp? Obviously I'm am talking about higher end components and not cheap corner store CD players and amps.

Jady Jenkins likes this.
post #89 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinLungwitz View Post
I doubt the last statement.
Noted.

post #90 of 230 Old 04-07-2017, 11:50 PM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So then what was your previous system, what was your CD player and previous amp? Obviously I'm am talking about higher end components and not cheap corner store CD players and amps.

You caught my point. One cannot make blanket statement comparisons like what was made in your earlier post. The amp was a 25 Watt per channel Realistic unit and the CD playetplayer was a Technics 5 disc player.

However high end AVR will easily sound as good as a high end integrated amp, better in some instances if the room is problematic acoustically. I did that comparison in many a audio store.
BiGx5MurF likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page