post #211 of 216 Old 10-07-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post
So in MCACC(because I have a Pioneer), the auto calib gave me certain speaker levels. I changed them to fit my personal preference. Does that mean Auto Surround will use MY speaker levels and Pure Direct will use what MCACC calibrated them to?
Keep in mind in many examples Pure Direct will stop any subwoofer output if the incoming signal is 2ch. In PD mode a subwoofer output is only provided if it arrived from the incoming signal. So Dolby Digital 5.1 gets a sub but 2.0 stereo does not. Again this varies by brand.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 216 Old 10-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I prefer using Yamaha YPAO adjusted FLAT mode quite a bit over Pure Direct. It has noticeably better clarity and detail which then helps with soundstage and imaging. Pure Direct sounds good but YPAO FLAT better IMO.

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
post #213 of 216 Old 10-12-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
If you're truly serious about music reproduction, 2-channel is the only path, and big money in speakers is requisite.
Disagree completely. A pair of good speakers crossed to a good pair of subs, properly placed, integrated, and eq'd, along with eq on the speakers below Schroeder frequency, should be superior to two speakers without subs in most cases for sound quality. If you have 3 way speakers, this essentially simply becomes a 4 way speaker system with the driver producing the lowest frequencies more optimally placed for sound quality. Having the low frequency drivers placed in the same position as the others is not optimal. By the same token, we wouldn't put the mid range and tweeters where the subs should optimally be positioned for the best sound quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 216 Old 10-12-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
If you're truly serious about music reproduction, 2-channel is the only path, and big money in speakers is requisite.
Nah, if one is serious about music reproduction multichannel music is the way to go. But unfortunately it is harder and more expensive to place 5 (or more) speakers so most people have to compromise for stereo.

Another factor might be listening habits and that some music is unavailable in multichannel
bear123 likes this.

Last edited by aats; 10-12-2019 at 10:27 AM.
post #215 of 216 Old 10-12-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 142
I think I've learned that if you're really serious about music it's entirely necessary to become super elitist about one aspect of audio and cling to that view for decades, regardless of changes to audio technology or the world at large.
madams5000 and Lp85253 like this.
post #216 of 216 Old 10-12-2019, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Q&A with Marantz.

Auto-Response By (Administrator) (08/27/2019 08:09 PM)
Customer By Web (XXXXXX) (08/27/2019 08:09 PM)
NR1605 vs PM8004 2 channel
I'm looking to thin the herd. The 1605 is no match for the 8004 when it comes to stereo listening. I'd like to sell both and buy a new AVR that hopefully has the same 2 channel performance as the 8004. Question is which AVR would excel in that category?

Response By Email (NJ Customer Support) (08/28/2019 01:42 PM)
Hi XXXX,
Regarding amp performance, you're looking at either the SR7013 or SR8012 for an all in one solution. More so the 8012 in terms of design and reduced noise.
You should also consider looking into a newer version of the NR1605 (NR1710) and then use the PM's Power Amp Direct In for 2 speakers. (Fronts)

Thanks,
Marantz NA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page