What's a small cheap clean tuneful sub? - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #151 of 159 Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
That's all I'm looking for a just a bit of warmth down there.
Insert inappropriate comment here

For $200 I think I will be very pleased with the support that the BasX S8 can add for that bottom octave.

In my limited experience with it, I haven't found it to be a one-note explosion maker. However, it may lack the depth and output expected by HT enthusiasts.

If I was looking for more "perfection", I'd send 2-3x more for the 12" Rythmik sealed box sub. I have an early DIY sealed box with Rythmik components that remains my benchmark for all other subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 249 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10038 Post(s)
Liked: 7047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post
It is probably premature for me to comment, but I received the Emotiva BasX S8 two days ago. I set it up to accompany new desktop speakers. I found it integrated best using a 60hz crossover on my old HK AVR. Other than setting the crossover and level, I have not had time for critical tweaking and listening. I have been “breaking-in” the speakers/sub with the first track of the Dirty Brass Band’s “Voodoo” album.

My FIRST impression is that the BasX S8 does a fine job at its task filling in the range from 30hz to 60hz. That additional support is enough to add the desired tight rumble in lower range of an electric bass. It also allowed for reasonably seamless transitions from the upper to lower ranges of the walking basslines of an upright bass. Tubas and orchestral bass drums also seem reasonably realistic. In my 14,000 cubic foot space, the BasX S8 has plenty of output to play at moderate levels (and get snide comments from the Mrs.). To be fair, my use is primarily desk top. Even so, I think in small to medium sized rooms, the little BasX sub will provide enough support to the low end for an enjoyable music experience.
Excellent feeback, thanks.

So no "boominess" which is the bane of "budget" subs?

A walking bass line is an excellent test.

Geoff A. J., California
post #153 of 159 Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon O View Post

In my limited experience with it, I haven't found it to be a one-note explosion maker. However, it may lack the depth and output expected by HT enthusiasts.

If I was looking for more "perfection", I'd send 2-3x more for the 12" Rythmik sealed box sub. I have an early DIY sealed box with Rythmik components that remains my benchmark for all other subs.
Yes, I'm a huge fan of sealed servo subs, (minority here on AVS), and if you have that experience that adds a great deal of credibility to your comments.

It's fantastic that Emotiva came out with that line of "not boombox" subs.

I use my two little subs in my secondary room and, sure, they don't hit anywhere near 15hz like my main sub but 28hz extension or so certainly does add satisfying depth to HT in my secondary room the few times I use them for HT vs music.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 159 Old 06-10-2017, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
Yes, I'm a huge fan of sealed servo subs, (minority here on AVS), and if you have that experience that adds a great deal of credibility to your comments.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I'm pretty sure that my DIY sub is not a servo sub. However, Brian Ding worked with my cabinet builder to tweak the Rythmik amp to work best in the sealed cube. Originally, the driver was going to be an Audire aluminum driver, but that was a bust. In the end, the Rythmik amp and driver were a great combination.

With a bit more listening, I'm still very pleased with the BasX S8. I am very comfortable recommending it as a budget subwoofer solution for modest music systems.
gajCA likes this.
post #155 of 159 Old 06-20-2017, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Did you ever order a sub? I was hoping you would get the Emotiva el cheapo and give it a review.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #156 of 159 Old 06-20-2017, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
Check the main page for a write-up about the 12" version.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #157 of 159 Old 06-20-2017, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Did you ever order a sub? I was hoping you would get the Emotiva el cheapo and give it a review.
Things have stopped for the summer. It's car show/hangout/cruise season. I want to be outside for the next few months.
post #158 of 159 Old 06-21-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
Check the main page for a write-up about the 12" version.
Yes, that AVS review pretty much confirmed that the Emotivas are good for music and HT and that the specs and frequency response charts they have on their site are not hot air.

Geoff A. J., California
post #159 of 159 Old 06-21-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 241
I enjoy my little Sumiko S5 with my 805 D3's. Dialed in, it has just the right punch in my 12x12 room
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page