Is Rotel brand still good? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 94 Old 06-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Member
 
davidrds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Yes indeed

So, am I going back to Magnolia today?
My money is on YES!
davidrds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 94 Old 06-11-2017, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
My money is on YES!
You guessed it right David, I picked it up. I paid a total of $1,155 with taxes and some rewards certificates. Brand new, unopened, in black. Apparently it was ordered by mistake by one guy who meant to order the equivalent RC pre-amp.

Anyways, I hooked it up. It sparkles! Right of the bat, much more detail than the previous setup with RSX-1065 and using the analog out on Bluesound Node 2. Now using the optical Out on Node 2, thus utilizing the Rotel DAC .

I guess it is because of the DAC as the Node 2 is not a real DAC (lowly BurrBrown from Texas Instruments).

I still have to figure out how to better integrate my subwoofer (SVS SB12) on this. Currently using one preout on Rotel to low level input on SB12, as obviously the Rotel does not have bass management.
Theothergreg likes this.
thyname is offline  
post #63 of 94 Old 06-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Member
 
davidrds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Congratulations. Sounds like a great buy. Looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Theothergreg likes this.
davidrds is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 94 Old 06-11-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
Congratulations. Sounds like a great buy. Looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Thanks! I am listening non stop this afternoon and evening, and I am thrilled. Even without proper break in and without proper subwoofer integration. I am excited it will only get better.

Anyways, I heard back from SVS folks today. For the questions I asked here. On a Sunday. Go figure.

They suggested buying a second subwoofer rca cable, and connecting from the Rotel L/T preouts to SB12's R/L low pass inputs. I ordered the cable right away.

Eventually I will buy another SVS SB12 for my system for 2.2 (if that's a right term).
thyname is offline  
post #65 of 94 Old 06-11-2017, 08:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pacodutaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Sure, Rotel still makes a quality product. Everything they produce is made in China now. However, this doesn't really matter to me as long as the product is still made well.
Rotel still makes good stuff but speakers are where you should concentrate your money. After all that is where the sound comes from. Look at KEF or Monitor Audio higher end stuff as a start. There are lots of great speakers in the $2000 /pr. and up that would sound wonderful.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
Pacodutaco is offline  
post #66 of 94 Old 06-12-2017, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Rotel still makes good stuff but speakers are where you should concentrate your money. After all that is where the sound comes from. Look at KEF or Monitor Audio higher end stuff as a start. There are lots of great speakers in the $2000 /pr. and up that would sound wonderful.
My Axiom M60 speakers are not good enough?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60-floorstanding-speakers
thyname is offline  
post #67 of 94 Old 06-12-2017, 05:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Pacodutaco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: SW Virginia
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
My Axiom M60 speakers are not good enough?

http://www.axiomaudio.com/m60-floorstanding-speakers

They are as long as you're happy with them.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
Pacodutaco is offline  
post #68 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
For those nice gents still following this thread:

I found a great deal on a pair of B&W CM10s (just the first series). Locally, cash deal. An awesome price I could not pass up ($1,800). Immaculate condition.

They sound great with my RA-1570, and look gorgeous! See pics.

Now I am itching to get a RA-1592 to replace RA-1570 (still in return period as Best Buy Elite Plus member). I think these awesome speakers deserve better. Or a Parasound Halo Integrated. Should I?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0018.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	2204505  
thyname is offline  
post #69 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
For those nice gents still following this thread:

I found a great deal on a pair of B&W CM10s (just the first series). Locally, cash deal. An awesome price I could not pass up ($1,800). Immaculate condition.

They sound great with my RA-1570, and look gorgeous! See pics.

Now I am itching to get a RA-1592 to replace RA-1570 (still in return period as Best Buy Elite Plus member). I think these awesome speakers deserve better. Or a Parasound Halo Integrated. Should I?
Both nice units but it would be nice to have the bass management offered by the PHINT. It has a very nice DAC and good power also.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #70 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Both nice units but it would be nice to have the bass management offered by the PHINT. It has a very nice DAC and good power also.
You hit the nail: I was thinking exactly that - Halo's bass management on paper sounds like a great feature. And two slots! Exactly matching my dual SB-12s!

I have read some not so nice reviews on Halo though. Saying it sounds lean and cold. Unfortunately the one authorized dealer in the area said he does not have it available for demo on the floor, and does not keep stock of these unless ordered and prepaid.

But the main question though, should I upgrade from my RA-1570? I have plenty of time to return it. I feel bad though as I generally hate to return things , and I got such a good deal on it.

What do you think of the CM10s?
thyname is offline  
post #71 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
You hit the nail: I was thinking exactly that - Halo's bass management on paper sounds like a great feature. And two slots! Exactly matching my dual SB-12s!

I have read some not so nice reviews on Halo though. Saying it sounds lean and cold. Unfortunately the one authorized dealer in the area said he does not have it available for demo on the floor, and does not keep stock of these unless ordered and prepaid.

But the main question though, should I upgrade from my RA-1570? I have plenty of time to return it. I feel bad though as I generally hate to return things , and I got such a good deal on it.

What do you think of the CM10s?
Not sure the upgrade is necessary unless you want some of the newer features. Bass management could be done using a miniDSP for a reasonable cost. Love the CM10s. Had a pair of the CM10 S2s before moving to the 804 D2s.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #72 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
Not sure the upgrade is necessary unless you want some of the newer features. Bass management could be done using a miniDSP for a reasonable cost. Love the CM10s. Had a pair of the CM10 S2s before moving to the 804 D2s.
200 Watts per channel vs. 130 for one. And the upgraded AKM DAC vs. Wolffsen. Just to name a few.
thyname is offline  
post #73 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
200 Watts per channel vs. 130 for one. And the upgraded AKM DAC vs. Wolffsen. Just to name a few.
You have to double the power to get a 3 dB increase in volume. Not going to argue about the quality of DACs. Since the CM10s are not full-range speakers integrating your subwoofers properly would seem to be a more important priority, IMHO of course.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #74 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
You have to double the power to get a 3 dB increase in volume. Not going to argue about the quality of DACs. Since the CM10s are not full-range speakers integrating your subwoofers properly would seem to be a more important priority, IMHO of course.
Thanks.

I agree with you on subwoofers' integration. I spent quite a bit of time with subwoofers placement, and crossovers. I practically turned my entire basement around. Multiple times. My wife is not speaking to me recently

I posted a bunch on the B&W thread on this, and you chimed in there as well. Along with other reputable people, and the B&W rep as well. I think I arrived at the best placement for my (not so optimal) room, and my ears (see pic above). Crossover is now at ~ 60. I still feel I can do better with subs integration. It still does not roll off in full from the speakers, and I often can "hear" the subs, which I shouldn't.

Can you elaborate more on the DAC "upgrade " you briefly mentioned above?
thyname is offline  
post #75 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Thanks.

I agree with you on subwoofers' integration. I spent quite a bit of time with subwoofers placement, and crossovers. I practically turned my entire basement around. Multiple times. My wife is not speaking to me recently

I posted a bunch on the B&W thread on this, and you chimed in there as well. Along with other reputable people, and the B&W rep as well. I think I arrived at the best placement for my (not so optimal) room, and my ears (see pic above). Crossover is now at ~ 60. I still feel I can do better with subs integration. It still does not roll off in full from the speakers, and I often can "hear" the subs, which I shouldn't.

Can you elaborate more on the DAC "upgrade " you briefly mentioned above?
Sure. I was simply referring to the ESS Sabre32 DAC featured with the PHINT. The ESS DACs are very highly regarded.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #76 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,792
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
For those nice gents still following this thread:

I found a great deal on a pair of B&W CM10s (just the first series). Locally, cash deal. An awesome price I could not pass up ($1,800). Immaculate condition.

They sound great with my RA-1570, and look gorgeous! See pics.

Now I am itching to get a RA-1592 to replace RA-1570 (still in return period as Best Buy Elite Plus member). I think these awesome speakers deserve better. Or a Parasound Halo Integrated. Should I?
Nice grab. The CM10 S1s are supposedly nearly identical to the CM10 S2s, the the CM10 was introduced after the rest of the CM Series 1 speakers as sort of a stealth launch of the series 2 line.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
TuteTibiImperes is offline  
post #77 of 94 Old 06-25-2017, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
Nice grab. The CM10 S1s are supposedly nearly identical to the CM10 S2s, the the CM10 was introduced after the rest of the CM Series 1 speakers as sort of a stealth launch of the series 2 line.
Yep! I am aware of this fact. Pretty much everything on the CM line was an upgrade on S2, except for CM10, whose changes were mostly cosmetic (and a few other minor upgrades). I did my home work when I saw the CM10 S1 ad on Craigslist. Thanks!
thyname is offline  
post #78 of 94 Old 06-28-2017, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
OK - I decided to upgrade. My RA-1570 is still in its return window (I have 45 days with BB Elite Plus), so I am going to get the RA-1592. I got a good deal locally.

Before I do so, anybody has any opinions on the new PeachTree Nova300? A dealer I know told me it is much better than Rotel RA-1592.

Thanks!
thyname is offline  
post #79 of 94 Old 07-01-2017, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Hopefully I am not talking to myself here

Got a great deal locally on a RB-1582 MKII. I am going separates, and buying the RC-1590. Already hooked up the RB-1582 to the preouts on my RA-1570, and it sounds awesome. I guess extra 70 wpc helps. It will only get better once the RC-1590 arrives. I am excited!
postrokfan likes this.
thyname is offline  
post #80 of 94 Old 07-03-2017, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
Hopefully I am not talking to myself here

Got a great deal locally on a RB-1582 MKII. I am going separates, and buying the RC-1590. Already hooked up the RB-1582 to the preouts on my RA-1570, and it sounds awesome. I guess extra 70 wpc helps. It will only get better once the RC-1590 arrives. I am excited!
I have the same amp. Very happy with it.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #81 of 94 Old 07-03-2017, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by postrokfan View Post
I have the same amp. Very happy with it.
Yes. I am copying you!

I just cannot copy you with the B&W 800 Series.
postrokfan likes this.
thyname is offline  
post #82 of 94 Old 07-05-2017, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
For those nice gents still following this thread:

I found a great deal on a pair of B&W CM10s (just the first series). Locally, cash deal. An awesome price I could not pass up ($1,800). Immaculate condition.

They sound great with my RA-1570, and look gorgeous! See pics.

Now I am itching to get a RA-1592 to replace RA-1570 (still in return period as Best Buy Elite Plus member). I think these awesome speakers deserve better. Or a Parasound Halo Integrated. Should I?
nice pic!

I like your CD rack- did you build it?
Can I get more info about it?
JA Fant is offline  
post #83 of 94 Old 07-05-2017, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
nice pic!

I like your CD rack- did you build it?
Can I get more info about it?
IKEA. From about 12-15 years ago.
JA Fant likes this.
thyname is offline  
post #84 of 94 Old 07-05-2017, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JA Fant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Prattville AL
Posts: 2,786
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 1432
TY- thyname
JA Fant is offline  
post #85 of 94 Old 07-12-2017, 12:45 AM
Member
 
Archguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: RICHMOND VA
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
If your main/top system is not a 2 channel rig, you are a HT guy.
J.Foxworthy voice: "If you watch movies and TV all the time and haven't heard of Coltrane or Wagner, you might be an HT guy..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
There is no need to ever replace your rotel receiver unless/until:

- it stops funtioning properly, whether from old caps or otherwise

- it isn't powerful enough

- lacks connectivity, channels, processing or other features you want


Aside from those reasons, or pure aesthetic considerations, keep it and put all your effort on speakers and room acoustics.
Good sound advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
OK - I decided to upgrade. My RA-1570 is still in its return window (I have 45 days with BB Elite Plus), so I am going to get the RA-1592. I got a good deal locally.

Before I do so, anybody has any opinions on the new PeachTree Nova300? A dealer I know told me it is much better than Rotel RA-1592.
I have an opinion: money is burning a hole in your pocket!
Not that I should talk, mind you. I'm just cheaper.
PS: I like Rotel.

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. --John Ruskin
Archguy is offline  
post #86 of 94 Old 07-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Member
 
Jimbo II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I bought the Rotel RA 1592 near the end of last year, fantastic sounding amp, and the bluetooth function is great for laptop or smartphone source.

Looking at getting a Minidsp to solve my low end issue, however I am running RF7 II with 2 x Velodyne impact 10 subs so I think I may just need bigger subs and play around with placement etc.
postrokfan likes this.
Jimbo II is offline  
post #87 of 94 Old 07-15-2017, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,468
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 5819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo II View Post
I bought the Rotel RA 1592 near the end of last year, fantastic sounding amp, and the bluetooth function is great for laptop or smartphone source.

Looking at getting a Minidsp to solve my low end issue, however I am running RF7 II with 2 x Velodyne impact 10 subs so I think I may just need bigger subs and play around with placement etc.
The miniDSP should help out a lot and save time compared to trial and error with sub placement.

2-channel: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW608, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Music Fidelity V90 Amp, Lenovo Ultrabook
postrokfan is offline  
post #88 of 94 Old 07-17-2017, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
What do you guys think about replacing my Rotel RB-1582 MKII with a RB-1590? Would I benefit from $150 watts per channel of extra power?

Speakers are B&W CM10s, dual SVS SB-12 subs, and RC-1590 pre/pro.

Thanks!
thyname is offline  
post #89 of 94 Old 12-08-2018, 05:53 PM
Member
 
Tylerger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyname View Post
What do you guys think about replacing my Rotel RB-1582 MKII with a RB-1590? Would I benefit from $150 watts per channel of extra power?

Speakers are B&W CM10s, dual SVS SB-12 subs, and RC-1590 pre/pro.

Thanks!


I just finished reading this thread from the past. What a great story! Your transition from old to new equipment is a transition I'm going through right now. I used to have an RSX 1065 which I owned for about nine years until one of the channels gave up. I sold it for $150 to a young kid.

I then dabbled in the Marantz receiver upgrading circle for about three different models until my local hi-fi guy dropped a RA 1592 off at my house for demo. This is just after he let me try the Sim audio ACE. What I've learned in this short experience is that Marantz receivers don't actually provide you with true two channel hi-fi. The difference is so incredible. I don't even care about surround anymore. I never actually had it but I always used a centre channel and bass management.

I'm currently running 705 S2 speakers.

And for a source I use a Node 2i.

So… Amidst this in-home demo with the 1592 I am left wondering whether separates (1590/1585) will really sound much better. It would be nice to be able to quantify the differences in some way. Aside from it looking bad ass.

So, it's been since 2017… Are you still enjoying this particular system with your Bowers and Wilkins and Rotel separates?

Or have you switched systems then?

Did you end up with something completely different?

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Tylerger is offline  
post #90 of 94 Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
thyname's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Virginia
Posts: 623
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylerger View Post
I just finished reading this thread from the past. What a great story! Your transition from old to new equipment is a transition I'm going through right now. I used to have an RSX 1065 which I owned for about nine years until one of the channels gave up. I sold it for $150 to a young kid.

I then dabbled in the Marantz receiver upgrading circle for about three different models until my local hi-fi guy dropped a RA 1592 off at my house for demo. This is just after he let me try the Sim audio ACE. What I've learned in this short experience is that Marantz receivers don't actually provide you with true two channel hi-fi. The difference is so incredible. I don't even care about surround anymore. I never actually had it but I always used a centre channel and bass management.

I'm currently running 705 S2 speakers.

And for a source I use a Node 2i.

So… Amidst this in-home demo with the 1592 I am left wondering whether separates (1590/1585) will really sound much better. It would be nice to be able to quantify the differences in some way. Aside from it looking bad ass.

So, it's been since 2017… Are you still enjoying this particular system with your Bowers and Wilkins and Rotel separates?

Or have you switched systems then?

Did you end up with something completely different?
That’s a very old thread (in Audio gear terms 😂).

I have moved on, and no longer have any Rotel. I have Ayre separates now all around. Series 5 Twenty
thyname is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off