I Bought a New Integrated Amp. - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
...The stat I don't get, and proves I just don't "get it" is the 79 db s/n, unless you are listening to LP's. Can you explain to me why that is OK?...
well, I wish that value was a bit higher but it is good for a integrated amp. On an amp of this quality you could suspect that the measurement is a bit pessimistic or closer to a real world unweighted value. You are right and I will specifically be listening for this.
Jady Jenkins and drh3b like this.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"

Last edited by Russ69; 06-02-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 05-31-2017, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
If it proves to be not to your liking, I will buy it from you for $1700.00... just saying
I'll keep you in mind but tube amps in my house are like the hotel California, you can check in but you can never leave....
Scotth3886 and Jady Jenkins like this.

post #33 of 53 Old 05-31-2017, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
I'll keep you in mind but tube amps in my house are like the hotel California, you can check in but you can never leave....
Simply awesome! be sure to share with us what your thoughts are, when you're ready that is...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 06-01-2017, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Maybe I shouldn't post this, I could be heading for a real lashing. I ordered the amp yesterday, it will be delivered by FEDEX tomorrow. I really didn't anguish over this purchase. It was a EL-34 based tube integrated with a remote. That satisfied my requirements for this particular system. I had a strong recommendation from my dealer and I read a couple of reviews on line. I have never seen or heard this product that I can remember. I guess I'll just let you guys comment about that and I'll go hide in shame...
You are an adult.... : )
post #35 of 53 Old 06-01-2017, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4102 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
You are an adult.... : )

I bought this entire system (speaking of my main system) this way. I heard the ESLs at Best Buy Magnolia where they didn't sound very good, but I knew that was positioning. I hadn't heard any of the rest of the stuff lately. I did try to balance out the tendency of the ESL to be a little lean with a cart that was a little fat and that worked out well.
post #36 of 53 Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
Simply awesome! be sure to share with us what your thoughts are, when you're ready that is...
I would like to but I am having problems expressing myself today.

post #37 of 53 Old 06-02-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been listening in ultralinear mode, triode mode sounded good on some tracks but lacked dynamics. So I'm back to 32 WPC.

Edit: Let's analyze this. I have the exact same amp that runs in two modes and each mode sounds different. How can that be?

Last edited by Russ69; 06-03-2017 at 10:08 AM.
post #38 of 53 Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I bought this entire system (speaking of my main system) this way. I heard the ESLs at Best Buy Magnolia where they didn't sound very good, but I knew that was positioning. I hadn't heard any of the rest of the stuff lately. I did try to balance out the tendency of the ESL to be a little lean with a cart that was a little fat and that worked out well.
When I lived in NYC and Boston, there were a number of physical locations one was able to take advantage of. Now that I live in an area supported by 1.5 dealers, purchasing sight unseen and hearing unheard is pretty much what's left in terms of options.

As you imply above, having a number of years of experience helps sort through it much more efficiently.
post #39 of 53 Old 06-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I would like to but I am having problems expressing myself today.
Ahhh, that explains the new sig. : )
post #40 of 53 Old 06-04-2017, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ahhh, that explains the new sig. : )
I've been playing my new amp and adjusting loudspeaker location and room treatments. I'm not sure if I'm getting everything but I'm sneaking up on it. I also felt my disc player was holding me back, it's definitely no where near as good as my top of the line Cambridge in my reference system. So I'll give the Oppo a try. I think that will end all the system changes with exception of maybe one attempt at tube rolling. I have a few favorite EL-34 tubes to try but Kevin Deal said the stock tubes were pretty good but there is nothing wrong with trying something even if you go in the wrong direction. More next week.

post #41 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
32 WPC
79 db S/N Ratio
.14 THD
$3400 Retail
How did I do?

PrimaLuna Dialog Premium.
You did good if YOU like it.

Yamaha, Tannoy, & Polk
post #42 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Hey Russ. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the Dialogue after some time with it. I have been reading on this integrated and a couple other tube integrateds. I have never had any tube gear and have been wanting to check it out. I saw a couple of the ones I have been looking at mentioned in a previous post.

I want to buy used and only want to spend between 2,000 - 2,750. I am very interested in the Dialogue, any ARC integrateds, Cary and Rogue. I want to try an integrated first. Then if I like tube stuff, then proceed from there.

Whenever you get time, please update this thread.

Off topic: does anybody know of a little reading material that describes the different sonics produced by the different tube types? It seems like most tube guys have a tube model preference. I have zero experience with them and wouldn't mind having a bit of an idea before actually getting one.

ARC Ref 3, Parasound A21, Parasound T3, Marantz SA-15S2, SAE E102 eq, Joseph Audio Pulsar, Rythmik F12
post #43 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottajam View Post
Off topic: does anybody know of a little reading material that describes the different sonics produced by the different tube types? It seems like most tube guys have a tube model preference. I have zero experience with them and wouldn't mind having a bit of an idea before actually getting one.
Perhaps starting your own thread on the specific question/topic would be better.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #44 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
Perhaps starting your own thread on the specific question/topic would be better.
I PMed member gottajam.

post #45 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Like other pieces of equipment most have a preference based upon what pleases them most while listening to them. We all hear things a little different and have different tastes. I'd suggest you head to a retailer with some familiar tracks and have a listen to them and go from there. Auditioning them at home would be ideal. There's a possibility you may not like any of them.

Yamaha, Tannoy, & Polk
post #46 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2445 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Quote:
I PMed member gottajam.
Great.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #47 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Hey Russ. I am very curious to hear your thoughts on the Dialogue after some time with it. I have been reading on this integrated and a couple other tube integrateds. I have never had any tube gear and have been wanting to check it out. I saw a couple of the ones I have been looking at mentioned in a previous post.

I want to buy used and only want to spend between 2,000 - 2,750. I am very interested in the Dialogue, any ARC integrateds, Cary and Rogue. I want to try an integrated first. Then if I like tube stuff, then proceed from there.

Whenever you get time, please update this thread.

As @Ratman suggests, starting a thread specific to your needs may be beneficial, though I'm pretty sure your situation is probably well covered in other threads if you search for them.

ARC and Cary will be higher priced, so used will probably be your only option.

You may also want to consider Melody and Audio Space. They should have both new, and definitely higher up their lines used.

Some smaller companies like Decware here in the US have very reasonably priced tubed integrateds.

There are many, many options.

As for getting a feel for different tubes, I believe that is best done within your system.

Hope that helps.
post #48 of 53 Old 06-05-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4102 Post(s)
Liked: 2569
Quote:
As @Ratman suggests, starting a thread specific to your needs may be beneficial, though I'm pretty sure your situation is probably well covered in other threads if you search for them.

ARC and Cary will be higher priced, so used will probably be your only option.

You may also want to consider Melody and Audio Space. They should have both new, and definitely higher up their lines used.

Some smaller companies like Decware here in the US have very reasonably priced tubed integrateds.

There are many, many options.

As for getting a feel for different tubes, I believe that is best done within your system.

Hope that helps.

And Audiogon of course.
post #49 of 53 Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
...I think that will end all the system changes with exception of maybe one attempt at tube rolling. I have a few favorite EL-34 tubes to try...
Reminder to buy some EL-34s to try. Plus no problem having some spares on hand.

post #50 of 53 Old 08-10-2017, 01:50 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Let's analyze this. I have the exact same amp that runs in two modes and each mode sounds different. How can that be?
Forget it Jake, it's Tubetown.

PS: Anything that looks this good really doesn't need further justification.
If it happens to sound amazing, that's just icing on the cake

There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey. --John Ruskin
post #51 of 53 Old 08-19-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Any updates on this? I've moved and now have a 2-channel space to fill.

Kevin called me last night (I missed it - was at a business function) to talk to me about my concerns with the PLDP integrated vs. my current, all balanced setup (not fully reflected in my sig).

I'm looking for every bit of insight on this setup as I can. I'll likely need the HP model, maybe with KT150's with my 85 dB/w/m speaker efficiency, but that's one of the questions for Kevin too!

Marantz 8801 Marantz 7055 Merrill Thor Monobolcks Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable ATC SCM 19 V2's (L&R) B&W LCR6 (center and heights) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #52 of 53 Old 08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Quote:
32 WPC
79 db S/N Ratio
.14 THD
$3400 Retail
How did I do?
Can't be good. Not enough distortion, too much power, not expensive enough. Please send your banking info to
[email protected]
and I'll gladly help you unravel this tragedy.
post #53 of 53 Old 08-24-2017, 09:12 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Any updates on this? I've moved and now have a 2-channel space to fill.

Kevin called me last night (I missed it - was at a business function) to talk to me about my concerns with the PLDP integrated vs. my current, all balanced setup (not fully reflected in my sig).

I'm looking for every bit of insight on this setup as I can. I'll likely need the HP model, maybe with KT150's with my 85 dB/w/m speaker efficiency, but that's one of the questions for Kevin too!
You might give tubes4hifi a look. I have the ST-120 - it's a very nice sounding amp IMO. The amp has a very low noise floor. I have the stock 6550 output tubes - works for me. If you need more than 60wpc the M-125 mono-block amps have 125wpc. I'm mulling over one of their preamp kits with an add on phono section and the remote control. You can build them on your own or have them assemble it.

(WWG1WGA)
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page