Can I Finish My Audio Career without Streaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By Russ69
  • 2 Post By TuteTibiImperes
  • 3 Post By TuteTibiImperes
  • 1 Post By TuteTibiImperes
  • 1 Post By Russ69
  • 1 Post By 8mile13
  • 2 Post By Scotth3886

post #1 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Can I Finish My Audio Career without Streaming?

Can I finish with records and CDs and not get into streaming services? How many more years do I have?
JA Fant likes this.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked: 1490
Vinyl seems to be going through a bit of a popular resurgence at the moment, and I imagine CDs will still be pressed for many years to come, so if you want to swear off of streaming you'll be OK.

That being said, I'm planning on going with one of the Bluesound streaming products as the main source for my dedicated 2-channel setup. With Tidal offering CD quality streams as well as the new MQA streams that are better than CD quality, it just makes sense. I'd rather pay $20/month and have access to hundreds of thousands of albums in an instant than pay much more than that buying all of the things I want to listen to every month, and then having to deal with the clutter of storing that physical media.

I'm still in the physical media camp for video, the bandwidth just isn't there yet for streams to match what we can get with UHD Blu-Ray or even regular Blu-Ray in some cases, but for audio the future is here.
Russ69 and yanks1 like this.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #3 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Pardon the thread jack but I guess I can jack my own thread, lol. How do you like your Oppo 203? I just ordered one for my secondary system (audio/video).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
Can I finish with records and CDs and not get into streaming services? How many more years do I have?
I'm in between. I listen to files that I have ripped off my CDs and files I buy mostly from HDtracks. I also have a collection of 5.1 music ripped off of my SACD, DVD-A and Blu Ray. I don't really listen to records, except the 2 or 3 that I have transferred to files. At my age, I'm probably not buying a whole lot more music, and I don't plan to stream on a regular basis, although I'm certainly not above streaming Amazon Prime. I almost never do that, though. Everything is done through my HTPC, or occasionally my Oppo.
post #5 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Pardon the thread jack but I guess I can jack my own thread, lol. How do you like your Oppo 203? I just ordered one for my secondary system (audio/video).
I love it. The picture is phenomenal, it hasn't given me any hiccups on any discs or HDMI handshake issues, and it's built like a tank. The only issue I've had is that it once appeared to reboot when I hit the eject button to put a disc in, and sort of froze for a few moments not responding to button presses to retract the disc tray, but then it finished its reboot or whatever it was doing and has worked flawlessly before and since. There's a very long thread in the Blu-Ray player subforum about it, but I'm 100% satisfied with it.

One neat thing is the remote has a motion sensor on it so it lights up when you pick it up, that's very handy, and it's well laid out with the right dedicated buttons.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #6 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2417 Post(s)
Liked: 5314
Quote:
I know you weren't asking me, but I like it. I've only used for music so far, and it runs smoothly, quickly, quietly and sounds good to me.

My Stuff.
Spoiler!
post #7 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I'm in between. I listen to files that I have ripped off my CDs and files I buy mostly from HDtracks. I also have a collection of 5.1 music ripped off of my SACD, DVD-A and Blu Ray. I don't really listen to records, except the 2 or 3 that I have transferred to files. At my age, I'm probably not buying a whole lot more music, and I don't plan to stream on a regular basis, although I'm certainly not above streaming Amazon Prime. I almost never do that, though. Everything is done through my HTPC, or occasionally my Oppo.
Ah, Amazon Music is a great value-added service with Prime. I use it at the gym when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical, it may not be the highest quality audio stream, but for that use case that's not a big deal, and the 'channels' and pre-built workout playlists are great.

I'm not above streaming Netflix or Amazon Instant Video either, and 1080p TV shows on Netflix streams look much better than you get on cable or satellite anyway, and Amazon's 4K HDR content can look amazing. I still stick to discs when I'm watching movies, but for TV shows the video streaming services are good enough that cutting the cord is getting more tempting every day.
drh3b likes this.

post #8 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I love it. The picture is phenomenal, it hasn't given me any hiccups on any discs..
I was playing a David Gilmore BluRay on my Pioneer Elite and it choked on Comfortably Numb (of all the tunes). It just would not clear and play the song. Never liked it anyway, wont be missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but I like it. I've only used for music so far, and it runs smoothly, quickly, quietly and sounds good to me.
Thanks, good to hear it sounds good.
drh3b likes this.

post #9 of 30 Old 06-04-2017, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 6235
I was strictly a Vinyl CD guy up until 2 months ago. For a little money my dealer sold me a Bluesound Node 1. Gives me a vast library of music to choose from. Also there a thousands of free stations worldwide to choose from. It has given me the opportunity to check out music and artists before purchasing the album or cd. The quality is quite good and lets you explore all genres of music. Happy w/the addition.
post #10 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
My plan is to stick with physical media for the balance. (I'm 60 now). I've made a couple of concessions to modernize none of which involves streaming. One is ripping all my music to iTunes in lossless format that I have on a 256 GB SSD based flash drive plugged in to my Oppo-203. Second, I do by some high resolution music at HD tracks, and don't have physical media, although if I can get the same reasonably priced on SACD, I'll opt for that. HD tracks music goes on the same USB drive as well, although as an extra backup I use a program called Burn for OSx to make a DVD-A. The only streaming I've ever done is when iTunes radio was free, and then just from my phone through a bluetooth speaker when in the back yard cooking. Now that it's a paid service, I've ditched that as well. I gave up vinyl years ago and have no intention of going back, I prefer CDs.

Relative to you question about the 203, I really like mine as a music playback device. I only have a couple of UHD movies, and probably could have done without it having an Oppo 95 also. (definitely and impulse buy.) The analog output of the 203 is very good with the AKM 4458VN dac. I don't find the 95 to be much better, and definitely not 500 bucks MSRP better for analog. Plus the 95 doesn't read apple lossless so the USB drive is out and the 95 doesn't have a media app to allow for navigating the USB drive, you have to use the TV to do that. I keep saying I'm just going to sell the 95. On the video front, I definitely prefer the 203, Oppo finally produced a player with good DVD scaling. The 83 was great, the 93/95 and 103/105 were so-so. I didn't want to replace DVD movies, and now even with a 4K LG OLED TV using the 203, DVDs look good. If I never buy another 4K movie, I'll still be happy I bought the 203.
post #11 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2551 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
It is not about the CD, Vinyl or download, it is all about populairity of music. As long as music is populair one will be able to get it in all sorts of formats..
Ratman likes this.
post #12 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
You certainly don't have to stream. CDs will be around for quite a while still. The only streaming service I use is Tidal. It's quality compared to cd is spot on and I personally don't see myself going away from streaming as it's very convenient esp with my amp/streamer. I still own CDs but sold my TT and records, I got into vinyl a while back, son broke the table, fixed and sold it. Got back into it last year and just never used it enough to justify a $2k TT setup, and I wasn't buying records anymore anyways. The Oppo 103 is not a good CD player, it's a great blu-ray player tho; never any issues. I see what people say about the 203 and it makes me interested but my cdp player is fantastic so I don't need one for that reason, and idk if I need just another blu-ray player for the 4-5 times a year I watch a movie. I do stream Netflix and Hulu or watch tv. However I stream music about 70% of the time. And 100% of that is tidal.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #13 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Personally I think the writing is on the wall for obtaining hard copies of music. I live in a small market area of 80,000 and there are very few retailers left selling CDs or vinyl. Both Best Buy and Walmart no longer have CD racks. Even their movie selections are smaller than what they used to be. Other than a couple pawn shops selling used albums there's only one retailer left stocking new material. Record stores in larger centers can likely survive as boutique outlets catering to enthusiasts but only as long as there's a supply of new inventory coming in.

As for myself I haven't bought an album for a long time. My small collection of CDs haven't seen the light of day since I started streaming. There's far more content available to me from a streaming service than what I could have ever found locally. For ten bucks a month I can quickly be listening to music in whatever genre I'm in the mood for. Having a large supply of music available at any given time is much more important to me than a small (if any) quality difference. I just like listening to music.

Yamaha, Tannoy, & Polk
post #14 of 30 Old 06-05-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Depends what you listen to. A lot of the stuff I like only comes in streaming form. Lately, I've gotten the vast majority of stuff on Bandcamp and I'd say at least half was not available on CD or vinyl. Probably the less popular it is the more likely it will be streaming only. Good news is, Bandcamp provides downloads in FLAC for those who think they can hear the difference over 256 or 320.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
A lot of the stuff I like only comes in streaming form.
I'm finding quite the opposite. I came across some albums on Apple Music and Tidal that are partial. You can see all the songs from the album, but certain songs are grayed out and you can't play them. But like you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJS View Post
Depends what you listen to.
On the other hand, streaming has helped me discover many new artists and music I normally wouldn't come across. Majority of music on Apple Music is on Tidal as well, so I'm very tempted to ditch  Music in favor of Tidal once my trial ends, but then again I really like Apple's recommendations and weekly playlists. Tidal, unfortunately, doesn't yet have this as it doesn't look at your existing music library. Bummer since I'm really enjoying the lossless streaming.
post #16 of 30 Old 07-03-2017, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1826 Post(s)
Liked: 943
I think there will be either disc-based or lossless (either CD quality or hi-rez) audio/video available for many years yet.
I ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC (on a portable hard-drive) that I listen via USB on my Panasonic UHD player (it does some signal processing/up-converting that actually sounds good). The type of music you listen to may affect accessibility; for example, a lot of the jazz (I'm not talking ancient) I have I couldn't stream if I wanted to.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.05], Roku
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]
post #17 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Certainly you can.

I do not stream audio except for radio station broadcasts.

I tried Tidal, and while it sounded OK, you have no control over which version of an album you'll get as you can't choose between versions so nine times out of ten you'll get the latest remastered version (also the most heavily compressed one in most cases.) Want to hear that wonderful version of the album released on CD in 1986 before the label "remastered" it and reduced it to the point it now has about 30 dB of dynamic range? Yeah, sorry; MQA means nothing if the album has been remastered to sound as "loud" as new music.

Even when it comes to downloads like iTunes, I've only purchased songs completely unavailable on CD.
post #18 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1839 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
It is not about the CD, Vinyl or download, it is all about populairity of music. As long as music is populair one will be able to get it in all sorts of formats..
You can get it in all sorts of formats, however most of them sound bad to not great.
post #19 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
On days like this when I have chores to do, the 4th or not, I frequently go down to the LP rack and grab something at random and whatever it is I pull out I play up here on the cheap system. I've forgotten much of what I have so it's a musical treat. Just pulled out an old Grateful Dead and it's on the table now. I didn't know I had it. What just amazes me is how many are completely (or nearly so) pop and tick free. Still though, when I'm busy I don't much like having to change sides every 20 - 25 minutes. I'll get around to Tidal one of these days, but when you have 20,000 LPs there's so much to explore and re-explore. Plus, so many I bought over the years that I never got around to playing.
fatuglyguy and Jady Jenkins like this.
post #20 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
Quote:
I've got you penciled in for a major cardiac episode in 17 months. So you're fine. Except for the dying part.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #21 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 1506
Quote:
Yes. LP and CD (s) are not going away anytime soon...
post #22 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I've got you penciled in for a major cardiac episode in 17 months. So you're fine. Except for the dying part.

Russ, who has left the forum, btw, is five years younger than me so am I long overdue for an episode or two?
post #23 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1302 Post(s)
Liked: 1517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Russ, who has left the forum, btw, is five years younger than me so am I long overdue for an episode or two?
I predict you'll be around long enough to see the followup to streaming. Cochlear-enhanced, inner-cranial music service, obviously.

Anyway, sorry you lost one of your forum running buddies. oh well. People come and go over the years. Many that I really miss, many that I really don't. And some of whom return in a different guise over and over an over...

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #24 of 30 Old 07-04-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
I predict you'll be around long enough to see the followup to streaming. Cochlear-enhanced, inner-cranial music service, obviously.

Anyway, sorry you lost one of your forum running buddies. oh well. People come and go over the years. Many that I really miss, many that I really don't. And some of whom return in a different guise over and over an over...

Penmanship no different than a fingerprint. Regardless of how many socks, one or two posts and it become obvious who it is.
post #25 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Penmanship no different than a fingerprint. Regardless of how many socks, one or two posts and it become obvious who it is.
I'm lost, I think? Russ left? and is someone inferring that he was a sock puppet???/
post #26 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jady Jenkins View Post
I'm lost, I think? Russ left? and is someone inferring that he was a sock puppet???/

No, no, he is very much real, but he left. We had a few other sock puppets though, now gone. Plus, I'm not referring to just here.
post #27 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
No, no, he is very much real, but he left. We had a few other sock puppets though, now gone. Plus, I'm not referring to just here.
10/4... is he okay (health wise) or did get tired of fighting the good fight?
post #28 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
10/4... is he okay (health wise) or did get tired of fighting the good fight?

He's a great guy, but he's much more of a high-ender and the discussions here regarding $200 - $300 speakers and AVRs just didn't do much for him. He found something else to do with his time.
post #29 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
He's a great guy, but he's much more of a high-ender and the discussions here regarding $200 - $300 speakers and AVRs just didn't do much for him. He found something else to do with his time.

Makes sense to me.

I just had my frontal lobe upgraded so I'm still good to go, and then some.
post #30 of 30 Old 07-05-2017, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Makes sense to me.

I just had my frontal lobe upgraded so I'm still good to go, and then some.

So you're back into vinyl! Great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page