Great sounding two way system...help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Russ69
  • 1 Post By Scotth3886
  • 5 Post By Bill Shenefelt
  • 1 Post By 18Hurts
  • 3 Post By CruelInventions
  • 1 Post By Russ69
  • 1 Post By CruelInventions

post #1 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great sounding two way system...help

I would like to buy a great sounding two way system for my bedroom. I do play really loud at times. I've been looking at pre-owned McIntosh integrated units lately. I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake doing so or not. I would like to spend no more than $6k on two speakers and a two way receiver or preamp/amp. I would love any advice. I also looked at McIntosh, because I here the reliability is superior. I've gone through at least 6 different receivers that cost $900 or so per. Speaker recommendation would be appreciated too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked: 614
I would recommend a Musical Fidelity integrated and the loudspeakers of your choice. You have plenty of budget for that.
Scotth3886 likes this.

"Oh I'm sorry, is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?"
post #3 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ69 View Post
I would recommend a Musical Fidelity integrated and the loudspeakers of your choice. You have plenty of budget for that.
Thank you for advice. I'm so open right now to options. No loud speaker recommendation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bush View Post
I would like to buy a great sounding two way system for my bedroom. I do play really loud at times. I've been looking at pre-owned McIntosh integrated units lately. I'm not sure if i'm making a mistake doing so or not. I would like to spend no more than $6k on two speakers and a two way receiver or preamp/amp. I would love any advice. I also looked at McIntosh, because I here the reliability is superior. I've gone through at least 6 different receivers that cost $900 or so per. Speaker recommendation would be appreciated too.
IMO, you are already heading down the right path looking at Mc; too many people do not realize you should buy as good an amp as possible....

How much budget do you have left after the Mc? I am a big fan of Paradigm (Prestige line), not sure where you are but if in the US these are an even better deal for you with the exchange rate. I also like the sound of a lot of the KEFs; both these speakers really sound well with a good amp.

One word on Mc, it is very good, but you also pay a lot for what you get. I really like Bryston for power and AR or Krell for pre. There is a ton of good used stereo gear out there for a steal as many move to multi channel setups. If there are any high end audio stores near you I would suggest going to them and talking about what they have for used...often there is also a lot of gear they know of from customers who want to sell.

Display - Panasonic PT-AE8000 & Grandview 135" 16x9 curved screen
Processing/power - Yamaha CX-A5100 & MX-5000
Player - Oppo 203
Speakers - Polk RTIA9 x 6, RTIA25 x 4, CSIA6
Subs - Velodyne Optimum 12 x 2
post #5 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
if i had space/room in bedroom martin logan or maggies would be cool.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #6 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for advice. I'm so open right now to options. No loud speaker recommendation?
If you mean a two-way bookshelf, no I'm sorry I have tried many and haven't found one I like yet.

post #7 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
if i had space/room in bedroom martin logan or maggies would be cool.
I'll check out. What would you say is a good combo? Speaker and power?
post #8 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you mean a two-way bookshelf, no I'm sorry I have tried many and haven't found one I like yet.
I thought about bookshelf, because that is what I have now. I have a 12 JL powered E sub along with. I want to do two floor standing speakers and have no extra sub. I'll add the JL E sub to the other JL E sub in main room.
post #9 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I own both but I'd recommend M-L ESL-X but you don't want to abuse them. They will play loud but don't try to break the windows with them.

post #10 of 25 Old 06-10-2017, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 962
I'm a big Dynaudio fan, a great combo would be the newly announced Special 40 (40 yr anniversary speaker) $3000 and an Naim Nait XS 2 $3000. Naim and Dynaudio sound fantastic together.

I have heard McIntosh a few times and never really like it. As far as tube amps I think Octave V40 SE would be a much better choice.

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/.../special-forty

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nait-xs-2

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S

Last edited by callas01; 06-10-2017 at 11:07 PM.
post #11 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I'm a big Dynaudio fan, a great combo would be the newly announced Special 40 (40 yr anniversary speaker) $3000 and an Naim Nait XS 2 $3000. Naim and Dynaudio sound fantastic together.

I have heard McIntosh a few times and never really like it. As far as tube amps I think Octave V40 SE would be a much better choice.

https://www.dynaudio.com/home-audio/.../special-forty

https://www.naimaudio.com/product/nait-xs-2
I'm going to have to check out some Dynaudio speakers at some point, I keep hearing good things about them. That grey birch finish on that 40th anniversary special is stunning.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
post #12 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4095 Post(s)
Liked: 2564
Quote:

Problem with that is that both MLs and Maggies need to be way out into the room. I've owned many many dipole planars over 60 years so I've been to that well more times than I can count. You can certainly do it, but keep in mind the positioning issues.
post #13 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I own both but I'd recommend M-L ESL-X but you don't want to abuse them. They will play loud but don't try to break the windows with them.

You'll blow a woofer before you ever hurt the panel. They are really robust these days.
vzphoneman likes this.
post #14 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
I'm going to have to check out some Dynaudio speakers at some point, I keep hearing good things about them. That grey birch finish on that 40th anniversary special is stunning.

I sure like what I heard at Axpona this year.
post #15 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 80
For speakers I recommend you go listen. Ya, I know, if a speaker is a great speaker anyone should like it. Bull! See what you like and go as high in this brand/line as you can afford. Speakers all have some sound that is what their designers/company, consider correct. The biggest variable in good sound systems is in the transducers, where electrical is changed to or from mechanical (Cartridges and speakers). That is where differences are really greatest. Pick your speakers first so that selection of amplifier power and low impedance tolerance can be based on what you need to properly drive them. Speakers that are low impedance or low efficiency really can limit your amp selection. Once you know what you need, look for reliability and desirable control in an amp and preamp.

Try to listen to a lot of different brands of speakers with your music. Take a favorite CD or two to a dealer and listen to it over a range of speakers to see what sounds best to you. There is still a major "room effect" to the sound so if possible buy something you can return if it if at home is does not sound good to you. I feel it is better to pay a little more to get the option of listening in your own home and returning it if not happy. I do know Crutchfield and SVS have great return policies. Not sure about others. I like to listen at a few dealerships if available and then check internet pricing but go back to dealer and see if he can give you a better price, not necessarily undercutting or even duplicating the on line price. If he is even close to within 5 or 10% of your best on line price buy from him! He has the expense of having stuff where you can see and hear it and that is a cost not built into on line pricing. You may get a lot better customer care and even help with repairs.

Bill Shenefelt; JBL 4343 monitors on Audire and Crown 1502 amps. 2 SVS 16 SB subs. 8 cu ft ported enclosure with 18 inch jbl driver on a Crown 1002 XTi amp (below 30 cps cut via eq), 4 Klipsch in-ceiling atmos. Anthem MRX 1120 receiver. Accuphase C-200, PS P600, Sony 4k projector and tv, SOTA Saphire turntable and Oppo 205 disk player .
post #16 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
You a playing music in a bedroom and went through six recievers already?

Noted you said "really loud" so if you are blowing 100 watt recievers, you'll need at least a thousand watts to make it twice as loud.

A McIntosh integrated amp won't do it, almost all consumer grade amplifiers will not do that at any price. When you are saying "really loud" I would have to assume rock concert levels or at least trying to blowing up a receiver in a bedroom.

You need high efficiency speakers to get loud, really loud so they are not small, they are not light weight but they will get you there. There are speakers available that will blow your hearing and get those ears ringing at 50 watts so power won't be a factor.

How large is your bedroom? What type of music do you listen to? Do you like strong and deep bass response? How large can the speakers be? Are subs an option? How LOUD is really loud?

Another concept is the amplifiers should have a clip or limiter light to inform you it is tapping out. All amplifiers can and will be overdriven by the volume knob and that will strongly impact their lifespan. There are amplifiers available that protect themselves from you, limit the output to prevent clipping and will bring in fan cooling to prevent them from overheating when required. They are also available with DSP to prevent overdriving the speaker below tuning to protect the woofers (critical on a 2-way) and the limiters can be set to the limits of the speaker to protect it.

The last time they used McIntosh for industrial use was the Beatles in the 60's--great amps but once there was a market for high output, ultra-reliable amplifiers other companies rolled in. Next time you go to an arena concert or IMAX theater, look at the amplifiers they use. They, like you don't have time to screw around with blown up amplifiers.

The ultimate 2-way would be the JBL M2, it has "free amps" that are included at no extra charge--but they run $20K a pair.
If you like modern music and classical, the JTR 215RT looks like a "2-way" with a concentric (2-way mid/tweet) horn and two 15" drivers. Frequency response is 18Hz to 24KHz with power handling at 2,000 watts and it will punch out SPLs in the high 120dB range. Basically, it will blow out the drywall in your room, smoke your ears and break your back when moving the 6 foot tall 215 pound beasts.

If you don't have a size limit and don't need much below 30Hz, the JBL 4722n cinema speaker could be the ticket. It uses two 15" woofers crossing over to a giant horn at 680Hz and will deafen you within 4 meters at less than 100 watts. They run around $3K a pair and throw in something like a Crown XLS2500 amplifier to use the high pass filters to protect the woofers from being overdriven. The Crown runs $600, has balanced XLR/unbalanced RCA inputs, 440 watts per channel into 8 ohms and 775 watts per channel into 4 ohms and is 2 ohm stable.

The audiophiles of the world like to upgrade the mid/high horn on the 4722n with a $300 Be piece to get the best mid/high they can. Always an option for that upgrade if the bug hits. Be aware the 4722n/XLS2500 combo will get close to 130dB each at one meter so if you see the Crown's limiters tapping red, you are about to blow your hearing.

That is about the only 2-way speaker I know of that will get really, really loud, sound outstanding, is upgradable and easily fits your budget. $3500 or less for a pair shipped and the amp. The downside is it's not small, it's not pretty, quite heavy and you'll have to make your own grills. Professional speakers are meant to be hidden behind screens so no effort was made to make them pretty in any way.

Good luck!
GIEGAR likes this.
post #17 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
This would be like someone walking into a paint store, surrounded by hundreds of paint chip strips on the walls, turning to the store employee and stating that they would like to paint their bedroom, "so what color would you recommend?".

So given that total lack of any context here (other than high volume capable), you may like speakers from PSB, Ascend, JBL, Magnepan, HSU, Revel, SVS, Theil, Paradigm, JTR, Polk, Klipsch, KEF, Definitive Tech, Focal, B&W. Oh, and I should also mention Genelec, Wharfdale, Golden Ear, NHT, Philharmonic Audio, Salk, RBH Sound, Tannoy, Vienna Acoustics, Usher and Fluance.

Gotta run but hang tight, I'll be back with a few dozen more after lunch.

Scotth3886, StephenMH and davidrds like this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #18 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do Your Listening, Research and Homework on what Sound Good to Your Ears and Heart!

Quote:
Hello Andrew,
I'm with You on the McIntosh, I have one MySelf that I got off of Ebay. It's a McIntosh C39 PreAmp(One of My Favorite). My Budget is Really tight and I got a Great Deal. and I have a couple of Receivers(Denon and Yamaha). I've got about four Tube Amps(love Tubes). Odyssey Mono Block Amp(one of My Favorite Solid State) and Two Floor Speakers, one Pair is Definitive Technology BP2002TL and the other Pair is Von Schweikert VR4 Jr(My Favorite But I Love them both).

You will have to do Your own listening and Research Homework, This Hobby is very Subjective to different Ears. A lot of us have really Trained our ears to certain Quality sound Thru Music to the Difference Audio Electronic Equipment and Speakers. They Say the Most Important Audio Equipment to start(and to Put the most money into whatever you can afford) is the Speakers! I Say not only Listen also feel Your Heart use Your Intuition. I'm just sharing, just Saying! Lol... Have Fun in the Process!

I've used to Belong to the Boston Audio Society. About five and a half years ago, Moved to Aurora, Co.(next to Denver); now belong to the Colorado Audio Society. In 2003 and 2005 went to five Audio Shows(then my Budget change after that), went to(and Help) the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest last five years. I've heard many different sounds of audio Equipment & Speakers. I love hearing different kinds of Quality Sounds of Speakers, Amps, Tubes Etc... and Meeting Great People!
So Maybe This can be an Ongoing Process for You Enjoy It Brother!

Peace, Love and Soulful Oneness! Stephen "SATYAM"

P.S. Check Out Golden Ear, Sandy Gross used to Own Definitive Technology for Speakers. Also for Amps, Preamp etc... checkout Parasound, Odyssey(online Only), Jolita and I do like the way Naim sounds. Check out EBay and Read the Consumers Reviews on Amazon.com for Audio related also!~

Last edited by StephenMH; 06-11-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #19 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
....... I do play really loud at times. ......... I've gone through at least 6 different receivers that cost $900 or so per. Speaker recommendation would be appreciated too.
Regardless of what you decide to buy, maybe you need to start thinking about ear damage, and buy an spl meter to check just how loud you are playing, in such a small room as a bedroom, esp if you have blown so many receivers!!!!!
post #20 of 25 Old 06-11-2017, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 2164
McIntosh makes nice gear. If it were in my budget I would certainly consider their stuff. As for speakers in a bedroom you will want something that doesn't take a big footprint (unless you have a huge room). Something like ML or Magnepans take a lot of space. Look at stuff like B&W, Monitor Audio or KEF for starters. There are many others but these three really impress at different price points and all would work well in a bedroom.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #21 of 25 Old 06-12-2017, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
A. What type or types of music will you listen to in your bedroom?

B. What is the size of your bedroom?

C. What is your Listening Position in your bedroom?

D. What do you have in your bedroom for furniture, etc.? This is to get at positioning and openness and damping, etc.....
post #22 of 25 Old 06-12-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
A. What type or types of music will you listen to in your bedroom?
I assume Barry White.
leecreek likes this.

post #23 of 25 Old 06-12-2017, 10:07 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What, no Manilow?
post #24 of 25 Old 06-13-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidrds View Post
What, no Manilow?
you're making sexy cry
davidrds likes this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #25 of 25 Old 06-14-2017, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 187
For floor standing speakers I would recommend you check out Goldenear Technologies Triton series. I love mine.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page