New Anthem STR separates - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #31 of 58 Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
I´m using an Anthem MRX-710 for listening to 2-channel audio, will I improve the sound quality if I invest in a STR Pre in my system? I´m listening more to music than watching movies. I have a NAD M22 power amplifier to drive my speakers.

This is my set-up https://www.minhembio.com/deathsquad
Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers View Post
That is a very nice system you have. I'm running something similar.
If you have your Anthem set up properly with ARC then I don't think it
Would be a major difference. But, I can't be sure as I don't own a STR Pre.

My opinion.
I had an Anthem AVM 60 and now own the Marantz AV8805. I can assure you that the STR Pre in the system made a big improvement with 2 channel listening. Check out post 10 in this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 58 Old 10-07-2018, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Anthem STR Preamp, DAC?

What DAC is inside the Anthem STR Preamp? Is the DAC different in the STR Preamp vs STR Integrated unit? Anyone regret buying Anthem STR Preamp, Integrated or the STR AMP? Thanks,
post #33 of 58 Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Enjoying the heck out of my STR integrated. My only quibble is with the MC phono stage. I wish there was the option to adjust the cartridge loading. A MINOR quibble at best, you can adjust the gain, and even choose alternative equalization should you not want the standard RIAA. Adjustable cartridge loading would have been icing on the cake. On the other hand, if you need that level of control you’d be better off in the long run with an external phono pre.
mtrot likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 58 Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Just FYI Audioholics has a couple of videos on You Tube about the STR Pre-Amplifier & the STR AMP.

Measurements:

STR Overview:

Seems with Microsoft Edge you have to follow the links in the grey boxes, Chrome plays the links here.
mtrot likes this.

Last edited by rickcfer; 10-30-2018 at 07:40 PM.
post #35 of 58 Old 11-06-2018, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371 View Post
Just placed an order for the Anthem STR integrated.

What are your thoughts? I’m looking at the STR Integrated for 2 channel audio.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #36 of 58 Old 11-06-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I currently have the MRX-720 and would like to set up a separate 2 channel stereo speaker configuration in my normal listening area using 2 different speakers that are not included in my current HT ARC speaker configuration.

I would like to be able to use a turntable, DAC, stream music and be able to set my SVS sub crossover at 50 Hz for a 2.1 configuration. The zone 2 configuration do not allow for bass management.

I’m currently thinking of getting the STR integrated amp to set up a separate 2 channel system but I still have the problem of having to switch the sub back and forth between HT and 2 channel use.

Because the MRX-720 will not allow me to do what I want, should I:

1) Add the STR Integrated amp for a separate system; or
2) Is there another component or combination of components that will allow me to do what I want?

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #37 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 03:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
I currently have the MRX-720 and would like to set up a separate 2 channel stereo speaker configuration in my normal listening area using 2 different speakers that are not included in my current HT ARC speaker configuration.

I would like to be able to use a turntable, DAC, stream music and be able to set my SVS sub crossover at 50 Hz for a 2.1 configuration. The zone 2 configuration do not allow for bass management.

I’m currently thinking of getting the STR integrated amp to set up a separate 2 channel system but I still have the problem of having to switch the sub back and forth between HT and 2 channel use.

Because the MRX-720 will not allow me to do what I want, should I:

1) Add the STR Integrated amp for a separate system; or
2) Is there another component or combination of components that will allow me to do what I want?

Many thanks!

Did you consider getting a phono pre amp and using its output to to a new input on the MRX-720? Then you are using your ARC and bass management from the 720, not zone 2. I'm not sure you need another integrated/receiver for that. What speakers?

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #38 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Anthem STR separates

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
Did you consider getting a phono pre amp and using its output to to a new input on the MRX-720? Then you are using your ARC and bass management from the 720, not zone 2. I'm not sure you need another integrated/receiver for that. What speakers?

Yes, I have phono preamp connected to analog 1, CD/MacBook on analog 2 but I need them to play on a different set of speakers (Focal). My current set of speakers are on-wall speakers (GE SuperSat 50s) and are fantastic for HT but not very musical. I want to use my Focal speakers for music listening. To do that, I would have to use zone 2 but there’s no bass management and I’m unable to use my sub.

post #39 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What are your thoughts? I’m looking at the STR Integrated for 2 channel audio.
I absolutely love it. The reviews tend to agree, Stereophole class A component. I can’t imagine ever having the need to upgrade. Lots of power. Stable down to 2 ohms. Good phono stage (mc and mm). Bass management. ARC. Excellent dac. Very user friendly menu system with a great remote. Large display that allows you to make menu selections without having to leave your seat. The only minor quibble I can think of is that the mc stage is non adjustable and fixed at 100 ohms. That being said, if you’d want a better, adjustable, phono stage you should plan on spending north of $1k to best the STR’s internal phono stage.
mbroadus likes this.
post #40 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I absolutely love it. The reviews tend to agree, Stereophole class A component. I can’t imagine ever having the need to upgrade. Lots of power. Stable down to 2 ohms. Good phono stage (mc and mm). Bass management. ARC. Excellent dac. Very user friendly menu system with a great remote. Large display that allows you to make menu selections without having to leave your seat. The only minor quibble I can think of is that the mc stage is non adjustable and fixed at 100 ohms. That being said, if you’d want a better, adjustable, phono stage you should plan on spending north of $1k to best the STR’s internal phono stage.

Thank you very much...I read a review from Master Switch that indicated it sounded gorgeous but not for $2K more than the Peachtree nova300. I really do want to stay in the Anthem family since I’m very happy with my 720.

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-stereo-amplifiers

post #41 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Read the reviews in Stereophile, Tone Audio, and Soundstage Hi-Fi.
post #42 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Read the reviews in Stereophile, Tone Audio, and Soundstage Hi-Fi.

Thanks...yes, I’m not sure who master switch is but I trust stereophile’s opinion more than most other review sites.

post #43 of 58 Old 11-07-2018, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3457 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
Thanks...yes, I’m not sure who master switch is but I trust stereophile’s opinion more than most other review sites.

And I trust the SoundStageNetwork reviews and measurements more than Stereophile.

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=17&Itemid=141
mbroadus likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #44 of 58 Old 11-08-2018, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much...I read a review from Master Switch that indicated it sounded gorgeous but not for $2K more than the Peachtree nova300. I really do want to stay in the Anthem family since I’m very happy with my 720.

https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-stereo-amplifiers

The Anthem STR seems like a lot of amp for a pair of focal 906 bookshelves with a recommended amp rating of 25-120 watts. The STR can put out 200 @8 ohms and 400 at 4 ohms. For bass management you could consider the yamaha R-N803, with YPAO and with built in phono preamp; its about 3500 cheaper. For something a bit more 'high end', the parasound halo integrated, also with bass management; its about 1/2 the cost of the anthem.

Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #45 of 58 Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

New Anthem STR separates

Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
The Anthem STR seems like a lot of amp for a pair of focal 906 bookshelves with a recommended amp rating of 25-120 watts. The STR can put out 200 @8 ohms and 400 at 4 ohms. For bass management you could consider the yamaha R-N803, with YPAO and with built in phono preamp; its about 3500 cheaper. For something a bit more 'high end', the parasound halo integrated, also with bass management; its about 1/2 the cost of the anthem.

You’re correct and I was thinking for the next set of floor stand speakers (Goldenear Triton Reference) but that’s several years away. I would move the Focals to the cocktail/lounge area of the house and connect them to a small 2.1 amp or Uniti Atom streamer. Anyway, I have been looking at the Marantz HD-AMP1, Parasound Halo, Peachtree Audio nova300 and Cambridge CXA80.

post #46 of 58 Old 11-08-2018, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You’re correct and I was thinking for the next set of floor stand speakers (Goldenear Triton Reference) but that’s several years away. I would move the Focals to the cocktail/lounge area of the house and connect them to a small 2.1 amp or Uniti Atom streamer. Anyway, I have been looking at the Marantz HD-AMP1, Parasound Halo, Peachtree Audio nova300 and Cambridge CXA80.
All good choices! The Nova in particular is a powerhouse at 300 wpc, the 150 might work fine, but the 300 would be future proof with large floor standers and it's not much more $ than the 150. Both have a loop in/out feature that sounds like it would accommodate dirac room correction/processing if you decided to go that way in the future. (Looking on peachtree's site, I just noticed they have announced a 500 "coming soon". (wow!)

Good luck in your search. That's half the fun.
mbroadus likes this.

Last edited by glangford; 11-08-2018 at 04:52 PM.
post #47 of 58 Old 03-02-2019, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity just put up a review on the Anthem STR Preamplifier and the STR AMP.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/...lifier-review/

"The Anthem STR preamplifier and amplifier are every bit the statement 2-channel products that they are billed as."
post #48 of 58 Old 03-03-2019, 02:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
INow, an even more versatile unit at $1000 is the much less expensive Parasound Halo P5 pre-amp. Has anyone had experience with both the Halo P5 and this new STR pre-amp?

Hello mtrot: I have not had experience with both (though auditioning the STR preamp at home now). I wanted to say, which preamp is more versatile depends on what your needs are. For me, it's the STR, because it has tone controls, adjustable bass management for stereo subs, and ARC. All of those are done in the digital domain, and to my ears they are transparent. I'm not using HT-specific features, so my perspective may be different from many here on the AVS Forum.

Mike
post #49 of 58 Old 03-18-2019, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
Hello mtrot: I have not had experience with both (though auditioning the STR preamp at home now). I wanted to say, which preamp is more versatile depends on what your needs are. For me, it's the STR, because it has tone controls, adjustable bass management for stereo subs, and ARC. All of those are done in the digital domain, and to my ears they are transparent. I'm not using HT-specific features, so my perspective may be different from many here on the AVS Forum.

Mike
Mike, you're exactly right. Depends on your needs.
Perhaps at the time he posted mtrot wasn't aware of all of the STR's functionality & performance.
The P-5 is an awesome value but it has nowhere near the functionality or performance of the STR especially in the digital domain.

BTW, how's the extended audition going?
Is the STR a keeper? Any idiosyncracies for things you like to change?
Thanks

post #50 of 58 Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 PM

The trial's going well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
BTW, how's the extended audition going?
Is the STR a keeper? Any idiosyncracies for things you like to change?
Thanks

Hi Milt-- You are a "special member". Does that mean a dealer or something, or an old hand? Just curious; my answers will be the same, whatever it means .

The audition is going well. After I took Anthem's directions (for ARC) with a grain of salt, I got superb results and I am very likely to keep the unit.

As to quirks, desires, etc.

1. Not critical, but I would like a tilt control as well as the tone controls.
  2. I'd like a more detailed manual. For example, does having a sub level control as well as a bass control mean that the bass control doesn't work below the crossover? And: what do the parameters in the "target" screen mean, exactly?
  3. Could more work be put into making the tone controls, source switching among variations of the same input, and such be noise-free? There are little "bobbles" now that would be great to get rid of.
  4. From what I've read, the hard-to-set "reference level" parameter of ARC adjusts relative average levels of the corrected portion to the uncorrected portion of the response. This is no longer accessible to the user (at least the user without a text editor), but I can see the need for the user to adjust it in a transparent and well-understood way.
  5. I'd love an Android app to control the unit, with at least volume, levels, and source; and maybe more detailed stuff as well.
  6. Finally, it would be nice (though hardly critical) to have actual measurement and graphs of corrected response. I realize this opens a Pandora's box of customer inquiries, but I'd like it. (Not enough so far to set up my OmniMic and measure it, but I will eventually).
I've posted more about my experience in the Genesis thread. I see you've already read and responded to that, so no need to say more here!

Cheers!

Mike (Portland, Oregon -- no longer in North Carolina)

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
post #51 of 58 Old 08-23-2019, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hello All

I am going to be back home by September 22nd and looking forward to getting this. Can you guys recommend a dealer? I was thinking about buying from Crutchfield.
post #52 of 58 Old 08-27-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rramacha View Post
I am going to be back home by September 22nd and looking forward to getting this. Can you guys recommend a dealer? I was thinking about buying from Crutchfield.
In my area, no dealer offered as long a trial period as Crutchfield, though I was able to get close with a little arm twisting. It probably would have been easier for me to buy from Crutchfield, but I like the dealership and want it to stay in business. Here's the Anthem dealer locator page.

Have fun, and good luck!
rramacha likes this.

Main 2.2 system: Auralic Aries G1 streamer, Anthem STR preamp, Bryston 4B3 amp, Janszen Valentina mains, 2x JL Audio F112 subs. Desktop 2.1 system: JRiver Media Center, Classé CP-800 DAC-preamp, Marsh A400s amp, Harbeth P3ESR, B&W ASW610.
post #53 of 58 Old 08-31-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 543
Mike, no I'm nothing special , just been around here since the late 90's. My old userid got lost so I had to create a new one.

I picked up my black STR-Pre in July after the Anthem sent the dealer a 220V model.
Got in on the $800 discount thing.
I too went with a somewhat local dealer as I'm not keen on the closest dealer.
OT but if I'm positive about buying something, if a deal comes up even though I might not be "ready", I jump on it.

I have looking at this Pre for a long time but thorugh reviews I trusted were scarce until the Audioholics one.
The STR integrated had been reviewed by lots of sites.
I have lots of previous experience with Anthem having owned 2 D-2s and an A5 amp.

The 2 early user reviews for the STR-Pre on Crutchfield are total bull*****.

To me the STR-Pre offered performance and functionality not available anywhere else, especially for 2 channel.
Anthem doesn't upgrade or introduce product lines until significant improvements are included.
I've had a D2 in my dedicated theater\music room since it came out.
A bit long in the tooth as far as computer interface\UI and surround features but it's a testment to Anthem design that performance and build quality are still solid.

Love the look, UI & build quality of the STR-Pre are killer.
The computer interfaces, apps etc., have all been updated to current norms.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to actually listen to it yet.
I've finally scheduled floor finishers in to cap off a down to the bones living room reno.
I'm looking forward to getting everything moved out of every nook and cranny I've shoved them and getting it put back together again.

post #54 of 58 Old 09-01-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
...I picked up my black STR-Pre in July after the Anthem sent the dealer a 220V model. Got in on the $800 discount thing. ... To me the STR-Pre offered performance and functionality not available anywhere else, especially for 2 channel. [...] Unfortunately I haven't been able to actually listen to it yet. I've finally scheduled floor finishers in to cap off a down to the bones living room reno. I'm looking forward to getting everything moved out of every nook and cranny I've shoved them and getting it put back together again.
Ah Milt, I think you will like the unit. Congratulations on getting the great price. Unusually for me, I paid almost full price -- but I don't regret it.

I am still tweaking my setup. Most recently, I warmed up the sound noticeably by moving the Room Gain center frequency to 280 Hz and increasing Room Gain about 0.5 dB. My experience is, measurements can take you only so far -- quite far, actually -- but then the ears are king. Since recordings are so different from one another, it takes me quite a while to zero in.

And good luck with finishing up the renovation! I remember how disruptive those can be and how glad I always have been to get the music back.

P.S. Yes, some of the reviews on Crutchfield are bizarre, and definitely don't reflect my experience with the product (well, one review does).

Last edited by Mike in NC; 09-02-2019 at 12:08 PM.
post #55 of 58 Old 10-09-2019, 01:47 PM

Question Phase adjustment in ARC Genesis

I'm asking this here because it's a Genesis question unique to the STR Preamp and STR Integrated.

In ARC Genesis, after you run a correction and upload it, you can run automatic phase adjustment. That uploads the phase settings to the STR.

Let's say you then re-run the correction (maybe changing room gain only) and upload it. Does that reset the phase settings in the STR to their default values until you run the phase module again? Or do they stay set until you upload new ones?

Anyone know? Or have an impression? I asked Anthem Tech Support, but as often happens, the response I got didn't answer my question (they sent general information about phase). Maybe they are too rushed to read the questions before they send an answer.

P.S. My impression, based on muddy sound until I re-run phase adjustment, is that Genesis resets them to zero each time you upload a correction.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 10-09-2019 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Typos
post #56 of 58 Old 10-09-2019, 03:36 PM

Phase adjustment in ARC Genesis

Quote:
In ARC Genesis, after you run a correction and upload it, you can run automatic phase adjustment. That uploads the phase settings to the STR.

Let's say you then re-run the correction (maybe changing room gain only) and upload it. Does that reset the phase settings in the STR to their default values until you run the phase module again? Or do they stay set until you upload new ones?
I got a second answer from Anthem Tech Support. They stated that the phase adjustment is not reset by simply uploading a revised correction.

Last edited by Mike in NC; 10-09-2019 at 03:40 PM.
post #57 of 58 Old 10-17-2019, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Guys, I wrote about my audition with STR amp+preamp vs Cambridge Audio Edge NQ+W in the 2-channel audio. Go have a look. Have a nice day.
I even paired them with Paradigm 7F as mentioned in 1 of those online review.
Also with b&w speakers (803,802)
post #58 of 58 Old 11-09-2019, 02:42 PM

Phase adjustment in ARC Genesis

Quote:
I got a second answer from Anthem Tech Support. They stated that the phase adjustment is not reset by simply uploading a revised correction.
As I noted in the ARC thread, I recently found that the auto-phase adjustment is applied by ARC only to Profile 1. At least, that's what happened in my case. So beware!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page