Striking the right balance - movies and music - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 23Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 01-11-2018, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4672 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Coincidently when I conducted a level matched, blind amp test to settle a small bet with my audiophile, recording engineer friend it was pretty close to that same comparison: a Mark Levinson grade amp [designed and made by the same people in the exact same US factory, but under their more economical chassis series called Proceed] vs. an inexpensive Yamaha integrated amp. . . . No audible difference in sound quality was found through a $16K, 2ch audio only purist system (no surround nor video), of his design, using his selected music of choice.
mbroadus and bear123 like this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 01-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-13-2018, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1357 Post(s)
Liked: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@callas01 - Thanks...someone on the Marantz thread suggested an IA also. I have been going back and forth on whether to purchase a Marantz PM6006, PM7005, or Rotel A14 IA to go with the receiver or spending the money on a more powerful AVR, maybe the Anthem MRX520. I have also thought of purchasing the new Outlaw RR2160 stereo receiver and couple SVS bookshelves in order to have a separate system.

What advantage does having an IA provide to the receiver?

I keep thinking that there has to be plenty of AVRs that provide a wonderful listening experience with analog music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The advantage should be in the real life performance of the musical presentation. I’ve owned the Marantz 7007, Integra 50.1, and now the Marantz 5010, none of them have matched the performance of bass weight, soundstage width and depth, or nearly the deep black background of which the music arrives in. The 5010 and 7007 would both distort powering my Dyn Focus 260s, the integra faired a little better but was leaner and slightly more aggressive sounding.

There will be people saying level match etc but honestly in my room with my ears and my spl meter I choose what I like.

The Anthem receivers are pretty nice, better then Marantz musically I’d say. I’ve heard only the 310 and 710 at a demo and the 510 that my friend owns, he has Dyn speakers also, I got to borrow his for a week once, it was nice but I still missed my Naim amp musically.
mbroadus likes this.

Dynaudio Focus 260s, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #33 of 43 Old 01-14-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Modern day, mainstream AVRs do a splendid job for both music and movies. You aren't compromising the sound quality. The notion one should buy two systems, one for music and one for movies was invented by. . . [wait for it] the industry trying to sell consumers twice the stuff. ...
Almost but not quite.

Yes, there are millions of people using a AVR for both music and movies, and they are quite satisfied...but... there are some, as is the example here, where people are not satisfied with the music playback of their specific AVR and the rest of their system. And equally they are many many people like myself who are using Stereo System for movies and are completely satisfied.

When it comes to Audio, it is clear there is no - one system fits all. Rather there are systems that do what they do best. AVR Surround Sound are great for movies, and they are fine for music, depending on many factors. Stereo systems are great for music, and are fine for movies. It is a matter of evaluating your personal desires and priorities, and deciding accordingly.

You can't get what you want until you know what you want.

By that I mean you have to understand yourself, your environment, your budget, and your personal priorities and your personal wants and needs. In that evaluation, you will narrow down the possible equipment to a short list that serves you specifically. A given amp may be great in general but ill-suited your specific circumstances, budget, and needs. Consequently that is NOT the amp for you despite the fact that it might be a really great amp.

As to needing two system, I would need more systems because I would have more than one locations and more than one application. One Stereo system in my living room for Music, one system in my Home Theater for Movies, an at least one system in my office/computer room. ...and maybe one in my bedroom, and maybe one in the spare bedroom, and so on. But if I can only have one main system, then it is going to be a Stereo, that's just the way it is.

But our goal here in this forum in this thread is to help the Original Poster solve his problem as he has stated it.

His title is - Striking the Right Balance - Movies and Music

He has an AVR that he feels is not adequate for Music.

His ideal option is to use the equipment he has to boost the Musical ability. He posted his EQ settings. 125hz is +5, 250hz is +4. Apparently he has a Subwoofer.

At this points I think we would need the Original Poster to itemize his entire system -

What Front Speakers, what Center Speaker, what Surrounds, and most importantly what Subwoofer?

Then what is the Source of most of his music? If it is MP3, then that is probably the problem. CD Player? BluRay Player? Turntable? Network Streaming, and from where, Streaming Services, MP3, FLAC, ALAC, other?

Then lastly Room Dimensions and Seating Distance?

That would give us the whole picture. It is entirely possible that simply replacing one component would bring the system up to par.

I think to truly evaluate the system and the circumstances, and make appropriate low cost recommendations for improvement, we will have to understand the Room, the Equipment, and the Circumstances to make those recommendations.

So, to the Original Poster -

What Front Speakers, what Center Speaker, what Surrounds, and most importantly what Subwoofer?

Then what is the Source of most of his music? If it is MP3, then that is probably the problem. CD Player? BluRay Player? Turntable? Network Streaming, and from where, Streaming Services, MP3, FLAC, ALAC, other?

Then lastly Room Dimensions and Seating Distance?

Also, a general description of the room? How many windows? Does it open into other spaces either open floor-plan or through large doors. Standard size door don't matter that much. Where is the system placed in the room?

Then we can determine if the system, as is, can be improved on, or if some weak component needs to be replaced, or if some additional component needs to be added.

Steve/bluewizard
derekmoore likes this.

Last edited by bluewizard; 01-14-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 01-14-2018, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
But our goal here in this forum in this thread is to help the Original Poster solve his problem as he has stated it.
OP already said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airsculpture View Post
I said in post #10 I had sorted matters by simple adjustment of EQ on my receiver.

Really no need to bang on about matters , especially as I originally posted something along the lines of "without spending" or something to that effect

Anyway this is déjà vu
Airsculpture likes this.
post #35 of 43 Old 01-14-2018, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
OP already said,

Thank you

In one line you saved me dredging all the crap up yet again despite me stating that spending was not the purpose of the thread and solutions were sort via just adjustments

It turns out just two small adjustments on the low end of the EQ in the Pioneer receiver struck the balance between the movies having too much umph and music having too little

I have now turned down the level adjustment on the sub.

And my equipment has been in my signature since I joined the forum for anyone to look at

Again many thanks. I was unable to PM so had to post again in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CruelInventions and LFEer like this.

Sony XBR65X900E, Oppo UDP-203 Universal Player
Front L&R - Polk TSx550t, Centre - Polk CSiA6 all in Cherry
Surrounds & Rears - Mission 77DS & Mission 780s
Subwoofer - Polk PSW125 in Cherry
Receiver - Marantz SR6012
post #36 of 43 Old 01-16-2018, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
Thank you

In one line you saved me dredging all the crap up yet again despite me stating that spending was not the purpose of the thread and solutions were sort via just adjustments

It turns out just two small adjustments on the low end of the EQ in the Pioneer receiver struck the balance between the movies having too much umph and music having too little

I have now turned down the level adjustment on the sub.

And my equipment has been in my signature since I joined the forum for anyone to look at

Again many thanks. I was unable to PM so had to post again in this thread

FYI - I’m using Tapatalk and unable to see your signature.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #37 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
FYI - I’m using Tapatalk and unable to see your signature.

Yes it does have that disadvantage

mbroadus likes this.

post #38 of 43 Old 01-20-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4672 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
I can't find your owner's manual on Pioneer's site to verify this at the moment, however I thought to mention that rather than finding a setting that seems to be a compromise for your two main uses, movies and music, you might have a means, built in, that allows for two (or more) independent optimization settings to be selected, one for each of your main uses.

Many AVRs allow some settings (including EQ settings and subwoofer output level) to be locked in:

A) per current input selected [e.g. TV/cable/sat. vs. Music device]

B) per custom presets modes [many companies have this but unfortunately they all uses different names for it. My Yamaha, for instance, calls it "Scenes".]

This way you could optimize the sound specifically to your taste rather than striking a balance which is not ideal but "works" for both movies and music.
postrokfan likes this.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I can't find your owner's manual on Pioneer's site to verify this at the moment, however I thought to mention that rather than finding a setting that seems to be a compromise for your two main uses, movies and music, you might have a means, built in, that allows for two (or more) independent optimization settings to be selected, one for each of your main uses.

Many AVRs allow some settings (including EQ settings and subwoofer output level) to be locked in:

A) per current input selected [e.g. TV/cable/sat. vs. Music device]

B) per custom presets modes [many companies have this but unfortunately they all uses different names for it. My Yamaha, for instance, calls it "Scenes".]

This way you could optimize the sound specifically to your taste rather than striking a balance which is not ideal but "works" for both movies and music.
Yes the Pioneer can store up to 5 EQ presets and I have one for movies with the bass freq's dialed down a little and one for music with them up and I just flip between the two.

post #40 of 43 Old 10-04-2018, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFEer View Post
OP already said,
Perhaps you missed the part where I quoted and/or paraphrased the Original Poster? I know what he said, what I am concerned with is what WE are saying, and how and how well it specifically addresses his problem.

Also, there is no one right system for everyone. Every choice compromises something if favor of something else. We just have to work out what compromises will benefit him and which he can best live with. Which... is why I asked for a complete run down of the components in his system, and for detailed information on his room. There are many solutions, and many opinions, our job is not to promoted our favorite solution, but to find and promote the solutions that best serves the Original Poster.

It is also our job to explain the WHY and not just the what of various options. The better the Original Poster understands the options, but easier it is for him to make an informed decision.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-04-2018 at 02:14 PM.
post #41 of 43 Old 10-04-2018, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Perhaps you missed the part where I quoted and/or paraphrased the Original Poster? I know what he said, what I am concerned with is what WE are saying, and how and how well it specifically addresses his problem.

Also, there is no one right system for everyone. Every choice compromises something if favor of something else. We just have to work out what compromises will benefit him and which he can best live with. Which... is why I asked for a complete run down of the components in his system, and for detailed information on his room. There are many solutions, and many opinions, our job is not to promoted our favorite solution, but to find and promote the solutions that best serves the Original Poster.

It is also our job to explain the WHY and not just the what of various options. The better the Original Poster understands the options, but easier it is for him to make an informed decision.
You'll probably get the last word. You're proselytising to a poster who was booted from the forum over 6 months ago.
post #42 of 43 Old 10-04-2018, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
You'll probably get the last word. You're proselytising to a poster who was booted from the forum over 6 months ago.

And it now sounds even better with the Marantz with similar settings

post #43 of 43 Old 10-05-2018, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Sorry, I should have probably check the date. But I stand by what I said.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page