Schiit Modi Multibit DAC - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 42Likes

post #31 of 34 Old 01-01-2018, 05:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
But... for as much of an objectivist as I am and as hard as I often come down on people making unsubstantiated fantastic claims, I can hardly fault the OP here. Using a $17 DAC in the first place tells me he isn't one to frequently pursue audio jewelry. And while the Schiit is more expensive than needed to get the job done, it isn't exhorbitabtly so and seems to be well engineered for what that's worth.
Agree. I bought a Schiit Modi 2 because I read the book Schiit Happened. I bought it for their attention to detail and quality (in hopes that it lasts), it comes in a nice box, and it matches my silver-face vintage stuff, not because I was expecting any difference in sound. As a computer developer, I understand the analog conversion process of a DAC. Theoretically, the only place where a conversion of this magnitude (44,100 times per second for a CD) could get into trouble is at frequencies above the level of human hearing. So unless I'm Superman, or the company wants their DAC to sound different (be inaccurate), I wouldn't expect to hear a difference.

I find these debates kind of interesting. Regardless of how they attack each other, both sides' intentions are good. One side wants to share in the joy of their discovery (perceived or otherwise). The other wants to save people money. The way I look at it is, state the evidence, then if the person still isn't buying it then the perception of joy means more to them than the joy of saving money. In the spirit of the holidays, bottom-line is, pick whichever makes you the happiest. Life is short. There are far more important things to worry about.
GIEGAR and Cla55clown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 Old 01-02-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Does it make sense that a better DAC chip would improve sound?
Not really. It's how the chip is implemented. Any DAC these days designed for quality audio, not cell phones, is capable of performance beyond the hearing range. You just have to build the rest of the circuit correctly to reap that performance. There is little a DAC chip, at least the DAC section, can do or not do to affect sound quality. Be it multibit or single bit, the raw conversion process is rather simple. Now if the DAC has a crappy audio OPAMP built in, then yes, one chip many be better than another. Any DAC is only as good as the analog circuitry after it. And I don't doubt some cheap sound cards are very poor in this regard.

I think LFEer is saying that most AV receivers have reasonably good analog audio circuitry and you really don't get much if any benefit from an external DAC. Now the Schiit unit does seem a good value to me if someone wants an external DAC. But I agree, spend no more.

And then there are some DACs out there with ridiculous prices that are no better than inside a Denon or Sony AV receiver. Some of these ultra high end DACs may even be worse! Many ultra high end audio products are designed by repair technicians following a chip manufactures application note which is supposed to just be an engineering guide or example. They just copy the reference schematic. Then throw the typical audiophile voodoo and pixi dust into the marketing brochure. Yet the product has some fundamental engineering flaws.

One of the most blatant things I have seen wrong with some high end DACs is the lack of good analog filtering. Yes these products sound "bright" and "snappy". But the frequency response is not flat and the output is riddled with clock noise. It may sound good to some but it's wrong. It's not HiFi.
GIEGAR, LFEer and 18Hurts like this.
post #33 of 34 Old 01-06-2018, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 61
All dacs sound the same, all amps sound the same. Here we go again. I dont believe that measurements tell all the story. I've been on the merry go round with my audio equipement for the last 4 years and i can honestly say that dacs dont sound the same. I've had Cambridge, Anthem, BC acoustic and Simaudio dacs and the differences arent subtle. I do believe that implementation of the chip (output stages, filtering etc...) make for a good part of it more so than the chip manufacturer. I believe also that synergy with the rest of the systeme has a lot to do with it. Do you need to spend a gazillion $$$ I dont believe so. Please stop with the all dacs sound the same.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 34 Old 01-06-2018, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
All dacs sound the same, all amps sound the same. Here we go again.
The author of such claim hasn't been found. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-...ame-claim.html
Quote:
I dont believe that measurements tell all the story. I've been on the merry go round with my audio equipement for the last 4 years and i can honestly say that dacs dont sound the same. I've had Cambridge, Anthem, BC acoustic and Simaudio dacs and the differences arent subtle. I do believe that implementation of the chip (output stages, filtering etc...) make for a good part of it more so than the chip manufacturer. I believe also that synergy with the rest of the systeme has a lot to do with it. Do you need to spend a gazillion $$$ I dont believe so.
We are all free to believe what we want. BTW, there is a DBT case which revealed the audible difference between DACs. One was a tubed DAC. http://matrixhifi.com/contenedor_discmandac3.htm
Quote:
Please stop with the all dacs sound the same.
We are all free to pursuit our beliefs. It's not right to tell others to stop posting certain things because it disagrees with your personal belief.
m. zillch and rnsound like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page