Yamaha as 1100 vs as 2100 review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Francky
  • 1 Post By planed
  • 3 Post By CruelInventions
  • 1 Post By Alex F.
  • 1 Post By Alex F.
  • 1 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By Alex F.
  • 2 Post By Knucklehead90
  • 1 Post By Francky

post #1 of 17 Old 02-25-2018, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Yamaha as 1100 vs as 2100 review

This post is mainly to help those wondering if the 2100 is worth the extra cash. First i must say the 1100 is no slouch, i lived with it for about 1 1/2 year paired with the equipment in my sig. All was well till i bought high end headphones (He560). The headphone jack on the 1100 isn't so bad but compared to my zonar essence stx on my pc it was no match. So i figured that instead of buying a standalone headphone amp i would consider upgrading to the 2100 wich has a better discrete headphone output. I wasn't expecting much difference beetween the two when using speakers. Boy was i wrong. If you can manage the price jump on the 2100 go for it. It is really worth it across the board.

The first listening i did was digital through my Moon 280d, spectacular. Soundstage got way bigger and overall sound got meatier without losing detail. I suspected it was because i was able to use the xlr output on the Moon (the 1100 doesn't have xlr input). So second test was with my turntable, i dont use the onboard phono of the 1100/2100, my turntable is too far. I got the same jump in sound quality using rca line in with the tt. I will remind you that my expectations weren't that high to begin with.

In conclusion both these integrated amps are worth every penny, granted they aren't cheap if you consider the fact that they dont have an onboard dac. I will say it again if you can manage the extra cash go for the 2100, if not the 1100 is also one hell of a beast.

Hope this helps, not much comparisons beetween the two out there. I know, i searched for weeks.
Cle Manuel Vice likes this.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-25-2018, 03:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
This post is mainly to help those wondering if the 2100 is worth the extra cash. First i must say the 1100 is no slouch, i lived with it for about 1 1/2 year paired with the equipment in my sig. All was well till i bought high end headphones (He560). The headphone jack on the 1100 isn't so bad but compared to my zonar essence stx on my pc it was no match. So i figured that instead of buying a standalone headphone amp i would consider upgrading to the 2100 wich has a better discrete headphone output. I wasn't expecting much difference beetween the two when using speakers. Boy was i wrong. If you can manage the price jump on the 2100 go for it. It is really worth it across the board.

The first listening i did was digital through my Moon 280d, spectacular. Soundstage got way bigger and overall sound got meatier without losing detail. I suspected it was because i was able to use the xlr output on the Moon (the 1100 doesn't have xlr input). So second test was with my turntable, i dont use the onboard phono of the 1100/2100, my turntable is too far. I got the same jump in sound quality using rca line in with the tt. I will remind you that my expectations weren't that high to begin with.

In conclusion both these integrated amps are worth every penny, granted they aren't cheap if you consider the fact that they dont have an onboard dac. I will say it again if you can manage the extra cash go for the 2100, if not the 1100 is also one hell of a beast.

Hope this helps, not much comparisons beetween the two out there. I know, i searched for weeks.
Hello

I have the Yamaha 1100 and I like it very much.

but I would like to have the 2100 or 3000

post #3 of 17 Old 02-28-2018, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I did not get something: What was the problem with the headphone jack and headphone amp on 1100?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planed View Post
I did not get something: What was the problem with the headphone jack and headphone amp on 1100?

Hello

in my 1100

I have no problem with the ear headphone jack

post #5 of 17 Old 02-28-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 725 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by planed View Post
The OP was just commenting that the 2100 has an independent discrete headphone amp built in, the 1100 just steps down the main amplifier for a headphone out.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post

IMO they are both low-quality when it comes to the sound.

I would advise buying a Marantz or NAD receiver if you want to hear nicer sound quality.
post #7 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1231 Post(s)
Liked: 1439
^ An opinion which should and will strike many as patently absurd. But you're certainly entitled to it.
jsrtheta, Knucklehead90 and balky like this.

Quote:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool. ~ Richard P. Feynman
post #8 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 901 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
IMO they are both low-quality when it comes to the sound.
As usual, you denigrate Yamaha's amplifiers based on one unit you tried and did not like many, many years ago. You have never heard the 1100 or 2100 in your home, have you?

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
As usual, you denigrate Yamaha's amplifiers based on one unit you tried and did not like many, many years ago. You have never heard the 1100 or 2100 in your home, have you?

hello

de PORTUGAL

YAMAHA A-S1100 e A-S2100 and A-S3000 these amplifiers are excellent

I have the A-S 1100 is excellent

but I have a Mark Levinson 335 and 38S

post #10 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 4819
Thumbs up

The Yamaha Integrated's are excellent. But if your looking at the 2100 or the 3000 I would also check out the Luxman gear. All their products are hand made in Japan. I recently purchased a Luxman CL38U-se all tube preamp amd it just totally tansformed my system. Very impressive line of electronics.
post #11 of 17 Old 03-03-2018, 09:47 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
The Yamaha Integrated's are excellent. But if your looking at the 2100 or the 3000 I would also check out the Luxman gear. All their products are hand made in Japan. I recently purchased a Luxman CL38U-se all tube preamp amd it just totally tansformed my system. Very impressive line of electronics.

Hello

also the price is different from the Luxman

one good thing that Yamaha has is price / quality

or quality at the best price

at this point the Yamaha 1100, 2100 and 3000 are unbeaten
post #12 of 17 Old 03-04-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle Manuel Vice View Post
Hello

also the price is different from the Luxman

one good thing that Yamaha has is price / quality

or quality at the best price

at this point the Yamaha 1100, 2100 and 3000 are unbeaten
True, Luxman does not offer an integrated amplifier in the price range of the Yamaha A-S1100 ($2500) or A-S2100 ($3500), but their A-S3000 ($7000) is pricier than Luxman's L-505uXII ($4500) or L-507uXII ($6500).

I would love to audition a Luxman component someday. But my amplifier shopping days ended a few months ago after testing at home three integrated amps (Yamaha A-S1100, Conrad-Johnson CA150, Cary SLI-80) and two preamps (Cary SL-100, Rogue RP-1) and choosing the Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier. After installing NOS tubes (mostly RCA) and Tung-Sol KT120 power tubes, the Cary's sound is absolutely gorgeous.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
True, Luxman does not offer an integrated amplifier in the price range of the Yamaha A-S1100 ($2500) or A-S2100 ($3500), but their A-S3000 ($7000) is pricier than Luxman's L-505uXII ($4500) or L-507uXII ($6500).

I would love to audition a Luxman component someday. But my amplifier shopping days ended a few months ago after testing at home three integrated amps (Yamaha A-S1100, Conrad-Johnson CA150, Cary SLI-80) and two preamps (Cary SL-100, Rogue RP-1) and choosing the Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier. After installing NOS tubes (mostly RCA) and Tung-Sol KT120 power tubes, the Cary's sound is absolutely gorgeous.
Dennis Had's designs have stood the test of time. Excellent gear. I just mentioned Luxman if they wanted to take the next step up. I sold off my CJ ET-3 SE and outboard phono for the Luxman CL38U SE it just took the whole system to the next level. By the way cost for the preamp after selling the CJ and phono was a little less than the AS-1100.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I sold off my CJ ET-3 SE and outboard phono for the Luxman CL38U SE it just took the whole system to the next level. By the way cost for the preamp after selling the CJ and phono was a little less than the AS-1100.
I really like the appearance and flexibility of the Luxman CL-38u preamp. Bass and treble controls with selectable turnover frequencies! If I had a local dealer I would ask to borrow a demo for an in-home audition.

I am curious what brand(s) of new production 12AU7 (ECC82) and 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes Luxman uses in the CL-38u. I have tried JJ and Electro-Harmonix and found them to be significantly inferior sonically (especially E-H) to even inexpensive new old stock (NOS) tubes from RCA, GE, and others. (My old Audible Illusions preamp uses 12AX7s and I substituted RCA and GE 12AU7s in the Rogue I auditioned.) The sound quality of many tubes manufactured in the 1950s and 1960s is often so much better, it's amazing.

It is possible that you can obtain even better sonics from the Luxman preamp by trying NOS tubes. Here is a dealer that I utilize most often for tubes (Brent is very helpful via email or telephone):

http://www.audiotubes.com/

I have not purchased from this dealer, but he has an excellent reputation:

http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

Both shops have an impressive selection and low prices relative to other dealers.

post #15 of 17 Old 03-06-2018, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
I really like the appearance and flexibility of the Luxman CL-38u preamp. Bass and treble controls with selectable turnover frequencies! If I had a local dealer I would ask to borrow a demo for an in-home audition.

I am curious what brand(s) of new production 12AU7 (ECC82) and 12AX7 (ECC83) tubes Luxman uses in the CL-38u. I have tried JJ and Electro-Harmonix and found them to be significantly inferior sonically (especially E-H) to even inexpensive new old stock (NOS) tubes from RCA, GE, and others. (My old Audible Illusions preamp uses 12AX7s and I substituted RCA and GE 12AU7s in the Rogue I auditioned.) The sound quality of many tubes manufactured in the 1950s and 1960s is often so much better, it's amazing.

It is possible that you can obtain even better sonics from the Luxman preamp by trying NOS tubes. Here is a dealer that I utilize most often for tubes (Brent is very helpful via email or telephone):

http://www.audiotubes.com/

I have not purchased from this dealer, but he has an excellent reputation:

http://www.mcshanedesign.net/tubes.htm

Both shops have an impressive selection and low prices relative to other dealers.
The preamp comes w/JJ Ecc 802s and 803s. These are gray long plate tubes. Very quiet and quite dynamic. I will however look at rolling some tubes down the road but the preamp only has a few hundred hours on it so I'd like to wait for more break in. The CL38U SE will be hard to find as they only made 100 for worldwide sale. They were specially made for their 90th year in business. The tone controls have come in handy. Some of the early mono Beatles albums which sound a bit thin sound much better when adding some bass and lowering the treble. As a side note I read in the British mag Hi Fi News that Yamaha is coming out w/a TT to match the AS integrated's. No details on price but they should make a statement in the next few months.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-08-2018, 05:38 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post
IMO they are both low-quality when it comes to the sound. I would advise buying a Marantz or NAD receiver if you want to hear nicer sound quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruelInventions View Post
^ An opinion which should and will strike many as patently absurd. But you're certainly entitled to it.
I think he lays in wait for any thread containing Yamaha so he can give us all his worldly advice against all things Yamaha. I used to find it tiring to read his posts. I no longer read them. There aren't many people around here that I'd love to ABX - but he is one of 'them'. So he got a bad product once from Yamaha? Or he heard one driving Bose Lifestyle cubes and wasn't impressed. Or maybe some guy on a Yamaha stole his then-GF and he's never forgiven Yamaha.

I just bought a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp - it'll be here on Monday.
grasshoppers and Class A like this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Polk LSiM705's - Denon DCD-1500 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC - (WWG1WGA)
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Polk LSiM706c Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #17 of 17 Old 03-10-2018, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thumbs up

I just bought a Yamaha A-S1000 integrated amp - it'll be here on Monday. [/QUOTE]

And I'm sure you will be very happy with it!

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page