playing Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB through iMac and Audioengine 5+ - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-13-2018, 01:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question playing Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB through iMac and Audioengine 5+

First post, please be gentle.

I am baffled by this feedback that I am getting whenever I try to play a record on my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB Turntable through my iMac using Audacity. I have tried everything to eliminate the buzzing noise, but I wonder if I am wiring this setup correctly. I have the turntable connected to the iMac using the USB cord. It is plugged in and grounded to a different outlet than the iMac and the speakers. I have tried using RCA cables between the turntable and the iMac, but that was just as bad. I own the Audioengine D1 DAC, but I have been trying to keep things simple until I figure this buzzing noise out so I am not using it right now. So the only cord I need is the USB cord from turntable to iMac, right?

If so, then why am I getting incredibly strong buzzing noise whenever I try to play through this setup? I don't even turn the turntable on, and I have buzzing noise. If I turn the turntable on, then the buzzing is slightly louder, but it's loud anyway. I can barely hear the music over the buzzing when it plays. What am I doing wrong?

If I just want to send the music directly from the turntable through my speakers (without going through the iMac), how do I wire that up?

Thank you!

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-13-2018, 04:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 14244
If you google "Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB hum" you'll see that you are not alone. Quick glance didn't uncover a solution except for returning the unit.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #3 of 3 Old 05-13-2018, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper View Post
If you google "Pro-Ject Debut Carbon USB hum" you'll see that you are not alone. Quick glance didn't uncover a solution except for returning the unit.
Yes, I have read dozens of pages on these forums about the hum, but I think this is different. This is an electrical hum, and I've tried the various fixes suggested on this forum to no avail (removed the "transport screws" and placed neoprene washers, etc.). Those pages speak of motor hum, but mine happens when the motor is not even moving; it's just turned on. The buzz is in the system, being registered by Audacity and my ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page