N00b Needs Suggestions for "Old" (I mean OLD) School Home "Stereo" System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Question N00b Needs Suggestions for "Old" (I mean OLD) School Home "Stereo" System

Hope this is the right forum to ask. If not, apologies. I'm not a kid but I want to know what to even look for as far as "medium to high" end HOME stereo equipment like from the 70s, 80s. The big "amp" (receiver?) and the big powerful call-the-cops speakers. I would be streaming music from services like Spotify so I assume I'd need Bluetooth. I have that.

What I do NOT need or want is a "home theater" setup. I could not care less about that stuff, I just want to be able to rock out (as we used to say) with an awesome house-shaking "stereo" system. Where do I look? What do I even SEARCH for on, say, Amazon?

I've been looking and I realize I'm a dinosaur but I really miss my old set up and the little bookshelf systems and home theater stuff is NOT what I want. I want to know who is selling what I'm talking about and a few leads I can check out. Is it still 100W per channel with the big heavy floor standing speakers? Is the amp (receiver) capable of handling the most powerful, best-sounding (subjective, I know), rock and roll stuff from Bluetooth Spotify etc.? BIG speakers that shake the floor if I turn it up. That's as best I can explain it. Sorry I'm not a techie or real "audiophile" and I appreciate ANY pointers or links to check out.

I'd rather buy something NEW and decent, not a cheapo set up but NO, not the top of the line, like each speaker is $2000. Not a used vintage setup. Is there such a place?

In the 70s I had some kind of huge amp and speaker wire (thick) connected to a Dual turntable and a pair of KLH or JBL huge powerful "dust falling from the ceiling" speakers. I don't have CDs or vinyl now so I don't need a CD player or turntable.

Thanks so much for not laughing and if this is not the correct place to ask about this can you please tell me where?

THANK YOU!!!

Dinosaur from the 70s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 11:47 AM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
but I want to know what to even look for as far as "medium to high" end HOME stereo equipment like from the 70s, 80s.
Quote:
I'd rather buy something NEW and decent, not a cheapo set up but NO, not the top of the line, like each speaker is $2000. Not a used vintage setup. Is there such a place?

So do you or don't you want vintage equipment? I'm confused. Might help if you clarify what it is you're actually looking for. Or are you saying that you want something modern like the way the equipment was back in the 70's?

If that's the case, there are still plenty of large floorstanding speakers made and amps that provide plenty of watts, but remember that the dedicated subwoofer has replaced the "old school" 3-way speakers with the 12" woofers in them.

Last edited by _tk; 06-14-2018 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This has Klipsch written all over it.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 11:57 AM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking too.
post #5 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblitz74 View Post
Hope this is the right forum to ask. If not, apologies. I'm not a kid but I want to know what to even look for as far as "medium to high" end HOME stereo equipment like from the 70s, 80s. The big "amp" (receiver?) and the big powerful call-the-cops speakers. I would be streaming music from services like Spotify so I assume I'd need Bluetooth. I have that.

What I do NOT need or want is a "home theater" setup. I could not care less about that stuff, I just want to be able to rock out (as we used to say) with an awesome house-shaking "stereo" system. Where do I look? What do I even SEARCH for on, say, Amazon?

I've been looking and I realize I'm a dinosaur but I really miss my old set up and the little bookshelf systems and home theater stuff is NOT what I want. I want to know who is selling what I'm talking about and a few leads I can check out. Is it still 100W per channel with the big heavy floor standing speakers? Is the amp (receiver) capable of handling the most powerful, best-sounding (subjective, I know), rock and roll stuff from Bluetooth Spotify etc.? BIG speakers that shake the floor if I turn it up. That's as best I can explain it. Sorry I'm not a techie or real "audiophile" and I appreciate ANY pointers or links to check out.

In the 70s I had some kind of huge amp and speaker wire (thick) connected to a Dual turntable and a pair of KLH or JBL huge powerful "dust falling from the ceiling" speakers. I don't have CDs or vinyl now so I don't need a CD player or turntable.

Thanks so much for not laughing and if this is not the correct place to ask about this can you please tell me where?

THANK YOU!!!

Dinosaur from the 70s.
Aside from not wanting to spend $4k on speakers alone, what is your total budget? There are many integrated amplifiers with bluetooth and network inputs that allow you to stream directly from a device or the network. So that, some decent speaker cables (you don't need to spend a lot on those) and possibly a sub and cable for that and you would be all set.

What is the size of your room? what is the layout? how far from the speakers will you sit?

You can go with something like this and stream from your phone/device:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16153

Or you can spend 10X that on an amp and just about anything in between.

That amp will push a set of Klipsch speakers nicely. That amp does not have a sub output so if you are looking for a sub, you may want to look elsewhere.

These have the vintage look you may like, and even at 50 watts, these should sound nice connected to that little amp I linked above (link for reference only, I'd shop around)
https://www.klipsch.com/products/her...anding-speaker

this Yamaha would meet your needs too, I know it is small, but with efficient speakers, you don't need hundreds of watts.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18580
altpensacola likes this.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #6 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 1291 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Take a look at, in no particular order:

Naim Audio, Audio Research, Vandersteen, Dali, Rega, Vienna Acoustics, Jolida, Luxman, NAD, McIntosh, Dynavector, Magnapan, Pass, First Watt, Dynaudio, Bryston, Golden Ear, Lyngdorf, ATI, ELAC, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, Anthem, Parasound, Focal, Sonus Faber, B&W, etc.
vzphoneman and Scotth3886 like this.
post #7 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 12:51 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Take a look at, in no particular order:

Naim Audio, Audio Research, Vandersteen, Dali, Rega, Vienna Acoustics, Jolida, Luxman, NAD, McIntosh, Dynavector, Magnapan, Pass, First Watt, Dynaudio, Bryston, Golden Ear, Lyngdorf, ATI, ELAC, Monitor Audio, PSB, Paradigm, Anthem, Parasound, Focal, Sonus Faber, B&W, etc.

OP says he doesn't want to spend a ton of money. I'd steer him toward Yamaha, Onkyo, Elac, Pioneer, Klipsch, etc. Basically a Magnolia Best Buy, not a high-end stereo shop where an appointment is needed.
post #8 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post
OP says he doesn't want to spend a ton of money. I'd steer him toward Yamaha, Onkyo, Elac, Pioneer, Klipsch, etc. Basically a Magnolia Best Buy, not a high-end stereo shop where an appointment is needed.
He also said he wanted "old school" as well as medium to high end 70's -80's.

I'm quite sure anyone living in the US or Canada does not need directions to a Best Buy/Magnolia not to mention most of what they carry barely qualifies as mid-fi.

Most of the brands I referenced have product competitively priced with Yamaha, Onkyo, Elac, Pioneer, Klipsch, etc. and have origins in the 1970's

Additionally, most of the brands I referenced can be bought on-line, in other words, no appointment necessary. Maybe you should get out more.
post #9 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 01:26 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Do tell...what's the cheapest Bryston amp that would suit the OP then?
Muphasta likes this.
post #10 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Do tell...what's the cheapest Bryston amp that would suit the OP then?
I don't know as he did not give a budget number for an amplifier. Bryston makes a lot of them, they are very stable with any impedance load, run forever, come with an unprecedented 20 year warranty, and will probably be the last amplifier one would ever need to buy which makes it an excellent value vs. a commodity, 12 month product cycle AVR from Yamaha, Onkyo, or Pioneer.

But he did say things like "The big "amp", "I want to know who is selling what" and "I'm talking about and a few leads I can check out."

Look, I'm not going to go round and round with you. Get a life or go shop at Best Buy if that floats your boat...
post #11 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
I don't know as he did not give a budget number for an amplifier. Bryston makes a lot of them, they are very stable with any impedance load, run forever, come with an unprecedented 20 year warranty, and will probably be the last amplifier one would ever need to buy which makes it an excellent value vs. a commodity, 12 month product cycle AVR from Yamaha, Onkyo, or Pioneer.

But he did say things like "The big "amp", "I want to know who is selling what" and "I'm talking about and a few leads I can check out."

Look, I'm not going to go round and round with you. Get a life or go shop at Best Buy if that floats your boat...
I've been using a Denon AVR-3803 for at least 15 years, a Denon AVR-2801 since 1999, and my dad is still using my Denon AVR-2500 that I bought in 1997. No need to spend Bryston money to get years worth of use out of gear.

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #12 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 02:53 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I say something about perhaps shooting over the top of OP's budget with expensive and rather boutique audio brands and now you're telling me to "get a life"? It's like someone saying they liked how fast a Mustang was in the 60's and you send them to look at modern day Bugatti's.

Perhaps that advice should be applied to someone, but I don't think it's me.
post #13 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 03:02 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I've been using a Denon AVR-3803 for at least 15 years, a Denon AVR-2801 since 1999, and my dad is still using my Denon AVR-2500 that I bought in 1997. No need to spend Bryston money to get years worth of use out of gear.
Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha makes a decent amp for the money. For a bit more Marantz/NAD/Cambridge makes a decent line of amps around a grand too. I agree that if you want speakers that'll shake the floor and bring back those 1970's memories, something like a Yamaha Integrated amp (with its old school looks) and a set of decent Klipsch tower speakers would get the job done.
Rblitz74 likes this.
post #14 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1051 Post(s)
Liked: 639
I suggest you visit as many audio dealers as possible. Bring along at least two favorite reference recordings and listen to the same songs on every component you audition. If you hear products that you like, ask the dealer if you could borrow demo components off the shelf--such as a pair of speakers and an integrated amplifier--so you could listen to them for a day or two in your home. The dealer typically will ask for your credit card info but not charge you unless you fail to return the items.

Also, here are three helpful and trustworthy dealers (based on my own experience, including obtaining a problem-free refund) that offer a wide selection of gear and have excellent return and refund policies:

https://www.crutchfield.com/secure/a...in.aspx?sout=1

http://www.audioadvisor.com/

https://www.musicdirect.com/
Rblitz74 likes this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #15 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Heresy's ... Chorus's ... Forte's !

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #16 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I would think Emotiva 2ch would be worth looking at.

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #17 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
You seem to be making my point for me.

Yes, they are still working, and that's great. I'm happy for you.

But you won't repair them if they fail. The front end on all of you units are obsolete as they support codecs no higher than Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS. They are all $20 garage sale AVR's. eBay is full of Denon AVR-3803 starting at $49.00. Again warranty on the Denon is 2 years, Bryston 20 years. There's a 21 year old Bryston B2 on eBay for $400.00 or approximately 25% of it's original MSRP. Denon has been sold several times since you bought the Denon AVR-2500. Bryston is still run by the same people and will still repair that 21 year old amp.

I'm not saying Denon is a bad product. I use a Denon AVR for our outdoor backyard theater. And you don't have to buy a Bryston either. I did not say that you should. I answered the OP's question looking for 70's-80's mid to high end with a simple list and nothing more.

Quote:
I say something about perhaps shooting over the top of OP's budget with expensive and rather boutique audio brands and now you're telling me to "get a life"? It's like someone saying they liked how fast a Mustang was in the 60's and you send them to look at modern day Bugatti's.

Perhaps that advice should be applied to someone, but I don't think it's me.
You seem to be delusional.

I simply responded with a list as the OP requested.
post #18 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Heresy's ... Chorus's ... Forte's !
Be careful, those are all speakers costing in excess of $2000.00 each. @_tk is likely to go crazy on you!
post #19 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1974
Outlaw 2160 and a pair of Airmotiv T2's ought to get you there and under budget. http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2160.html https://emotiva.com/collections/loud...ts/airmotiv-t2
post #20 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Be careful, those are all speakers costing in excess of $2000.00 each. @_tk is likely to go crazy on you!

True .... but there's always the used market !

post #21 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 08:18 PM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 797
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, kind of what I was thinking too.

My first thought as well, or Cerwin Vega's. The OP hasn't come back to clarify whether they are interested in vintage gear. I know a thing or three about that old gear, I'm vintage too. I bought my first stereo receiver while I was doing a stint with the USN. It was a Sansui 500a, that was 1965. It had tubes.

Yamaha A-S1000 - Salk Song Towers - HTPC (Linux) - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 (WWG1WGA) --- Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #22 of 75 Old 06-14-2018, 09:14 PM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I did read OP's post. Perhaps you missed this part?

Quote:
not a cheapo set up but NO, not the top of the line, like each speaker is $2000
This is why Magnolia seems to be a potential starting grounds and maybe not a Revel dealer or something
post #23 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 02:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked: 772
If he wants big 70/80s ish type receiver or integrated I'd go with the yamaha as 1100 or 2100. You can't get more retro than having the vu meters. Accessories4less currently has the as1100 factory refurb for 1799. From time to time they get the as2100 as well. You could sign up for availability for the as2100, but the 1100 would serve just fine I'd think.

As far as speakers go, for 2000 a pair I'd look into Salk. Probably the HT2-TL. It will play down to 34 hz. I have the supercharged song tower the HT2-TLs little brother and it sounds sublime. The larger drivers in the HT2-TLs will move a bit more air than mine as well. 4695, and you be pressed to find a speaker more elegantly made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9779.Jpg.png
Views:	44
Size:	929.1 KB
ID:	2416334  

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #24 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi all
I’m not a guy and I’m obviously new to forums so pardon the stupidity with replying or whatever.

I didn’t give a budget but I have heard of and like the looks and what little I know of Denon and those other names a few people listed. I knew someone with Klipsch and the subwoofer and all but it was a high end home theater which again I’m not into.

Sorry I got people riled. My lack of clarity is why I asked the questions. To learn. Some of you have given me some excellent links and I will def be researching those names. I don’t want to set foot in Best Buy.

However I don’t want to spend $2k for each floor standing kickass speaker and apparently a sub woofer. Klipsch sounds about right.

A Denon is a good name I believe as long as it would run Spotify / Bluetooth even off my iPhone and all the other iStuff.

My total “budget” would be $2k - $5k but if there is something so much better it’s worth a bit more I’d like to know about that too.

Thank you all so much!
post #25 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 04:22 AM

You dont have to spend 2k/speaker, look at the reference series from Klipsch. I think you can get away with 1.5k for a pair of 280f (not sure of the model number but check the ones just before the RF7). These will kick butt, and they are very easy to drive. I'm also inclined towards yamaha gear, if you can go for the AS-1100 i'm sure it would be one hell of a match. Never ask if there is something better, that's a never ending story and better is so subjective. My personal opinion on "better" is that beyond a certain quality it doesn't get "better". It is something different that might or might not suit your taste better. Believe me I learned this the hard way $$$$$.
Rblitz74 likes this.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.

Last edited by Francky; 06-15-2018 at 04:40 AM.
post #26 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 04:37 AM

Forgot to mention that I'm also a dino from the seventies.

post #27 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This is why Magnolia seems to be a potential starting grounds and maybe not a Revel dealer or something
Oh boy...

You really do seem to be delusional as you do hold impressions that are contradicted by reality.

Perhaps you need to put on your spectacles and reread the list in my post. I never said anything about a Revel dealer.

Last edited by b curry; 06-15-2018 at 08:33 AM.
post #28 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
True .... but there's always the used market !
Exactly!

Or you could build or have them built for you. At one time Paul Klipsch would sell you the plans for his folded horn speakers. Speaker manufactures like Altec Lansing, University, and Electro-Voice would give you the plans if you bought their drivers. Plans for the Klipschorn, Cornwall, Heresy, and the La Scala are not difficult to come by.
post #29 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I recently did this very thing. I used my existing KLH Model Five speakers and Technics SL-3 turntable, which required a new turntable belt, the old one had petrified in storage. I added a stereo preamp and a new amplifier, and you can't get more nostalgic than my choices of modern tube gear:

and

and

and

As a result, my LP record collection, last heard over 25 years ago, lives again. The nostalgic orange glow of the vacuum tubes is great as well.

Practically speaking, this system is not "pure vacuum tube", as the amplifier is a hybrid design with a 55 watt per channel solid state output stage. Purchasing an amplifier with enough juice to run those inefficient 3-way, four driver, 12" acoustic suspension, wooden box speakers would have cost a fortune.

The amplifier is a modern design, made in China, with two vacuum tube stages and a final hybrid analog integrated circuit output stage. The tube preamp and amplifier had a combined cost of only about $300 and they sound great.

The amplifier accepts USB thumb drives and Bluetooth broadcasts from my Android tablet. I will probably end up copying most of the LPs onto a thumb drive, as I had forgotten what it's like getting up every 20 minutes or so to flip or change a record.
citizen arcane likes this.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #30 of 75 Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 AM
_tk
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh boy...

You really do seem to be delusional as you do hold impressions that are contradicted by reality.

Perhaps you need to put on your spectacles and reread the list in my post. I never said anything about a Revel dealer.
My bad. It was one of the 5-figure options that you omitted. But if OP is looking at Bryston or McIntosh, might as well head over an aisle and take a look at Revel too, right?

Can we stop with this now? OP made it clear what they were looking for, so 80% of your list is null and void.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page