First 2 channel setup in 30 years for me - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By bing!

post #1 of 6 Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
First 2 channel setup in 30 years for me

48 year old here. I worked as a tech and roadie for a sound reinforcement company back in the day. I got to play with a lot of quality pro and audiophile equipment. After that era, never had the desire really to do anything special for playback except when I got my first iPod. I got nice headphones that time. Other than that, I have in my workshop an old NAD integrated amp and a couple bookshelves. Worked for me for the last 17 years.

My wife and I are new empty nesters. With our new found freedoms, we went through a renovation of our home. All of sudden, I found myself a decent space to set up a stereo rig inside the home with a comfortable sofa. And thus I set up what to me is a special rig. I started buying stuff I found on Craigslist, and over all, only the cables, DAC, CD and record player were bought new. Most of my tubes are more than 35 years old. Here is what I call the Craigslist stereo rig:

This is the guy that sold me the speakers taking delivery of them from Andrew Jones.

My rig is as follows:

Rega Planar 3 with Rega Carbon cart (waiting on an MC cart)
Sonneteer Sedley Phono Stage
Sony UBP-X700 4K SACD CD player with streaming
Google Cast with Spotify
SMSL Sanskrit DAC
Jolida Fusion tube preamp with Mullard 12AX7s and RCA black plate 12AT7s
Moscode 300 hybrid power amp with Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s and RCA black plate 6FQ7s (150 wpc)
Elac UNI-FI UF5 floorstanders
Audioquest interconnects
Monoprice 12g speaker cables (place holder for something better in the future)

Staging is right up there with a few $7,000-10,000+ systems I've had the pleasure of hearing. Bass is surprisingly powerful. Mids are sweet. Highs are just right. Not bright, not subdued. Vinyl playback is satisfying, especially rock guitar and classical violin renderings. It sounds pretty good.

Currently considering an upgrade to an Odyssey Khartago amp, but then I think it would make me want to upgrade my speakers too. That'll be an issue with the wife
EM3, shivaji, g_bartman and 3 others like this.

Last edited by bing!; 09-20-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-22-2018, 06:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Nice set up! The Mullard 12AX7's are one pre-amp tube I haven't tried yet. Tube rolling is a nice benefit of tube equipment giving you the ability to tweak the sound of your system with just a tube swap.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2018, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

dupe

Last edited by bing!; 09-22-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2018, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
Nice set up! The Mullard 12AX7's are one pre-amp tube I haven't tried yet. Tube rolling is a nice benefit of tube equipment giving you the ability to tweak the sound of your system with just a tube swap.
It's a blessing, and a curse. My rig is very sensitive to the V1 tube position, which takes 12AX7s, on the preamp. It does not like re-issues or second tier tubes. Anything less that US made black plates or the NOS Mullard tubes, Ive tried the proven Telefunkens which did not satisfy, and the sound devolves into nothing special.

That wouldnt be a problem except that it took some experimentation to figure it out. Tube sets vary from from 20 to 200 bucks. It was a fairly costly learning process on what worked with the system.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2018, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3754 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing! View Post
It's a blessing, and a curse. My rig is very sensitive to the V1 tube position, which takes 12AX7s, on the preamp. It does not like re-issues or second tier tubes. Anything less that US made black plates or the NOS Mullard tubes, Ive tried the proven Telefunkens which did not satisfy, and the sound devolves into nothing special.

That wouldnt be a problem except that it took some experimentation to figure it out. Tube sets vary from from 20 to 200 bucks. It was a fairly costly learning process on what worked with the system.
"My rig is very sensitive to the V1 tube position"

Preach it brother !!!!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
My Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp plays well with many brands. According to Rouge the center 12au7 has the most impact on the sound but like to have all 3 the same. I have had good luck with late 50's early 60's RCA black plates with there warmish sound. I'm running 3 Tesla Ecc82 GS right now that have a more clean/analytical sound that I really like. I have also used Bugle Boys with good results. For the 12ax7 my favorites have been Amperex Ecc83 and Sylvania Long plates. All listed have been NOS (new old stock) from the 1960's.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page