Bluetooth transmit from home audio flac player - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanPackMan

post #1 of 7 Old 09-30-2018, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Bluetooth transmit from home audio flac player

Sorry if this is redundant, but I couldn't find anything relevant by searching.

Scenario: I am installing Hi-res Home music player/audio setup with internal storage of my ripped FLAC files. I think I am set on how to handle home speakers and multi-room play.

My question is for very occasional play out on the patio.
I have an existing 4.0 bluetooth speaker and I have the capability to add a Bluetooth Transmitter to the player. Planning on a 4.2 aptX transmitter from Analog out.
While I certainly wouldn't expect sound equal in quality to what I expect inside, would I get reasonable music sound from the FLAC files transmitted this way over Bluetooth to a 4.0 wireless speaker?
In other words would the Flac file transmission degrade worse over Bluetooth transmission than using MP3 ripped files?

I guess other options would include:
1) Converting FLAC files to MP3 for this purpose (Might be a pain to maintain two library files but could also be useful for other devices?) or
2) Still use FLAC files but ensure to Install Bluetooth AptX capabilities to transmit and replace the Bluetooth 4.0 speaker with an Aptx capable speaker

Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-30-2018, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12772
No need to convert the FLAC files to another format. Your initial plan will work fine.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #3 of 7 Old 09-30-2018, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt3905 View Post
In other words would the Flac file transmission degrade worse over Bluetooth transmission than using MP3 ripped files?

It appears you are asking which would sound better, MP3 files played directly by your device or FLAC files transmitted over Bluetooth. I'm not sure I know. Bluetooth has typically not been best for audio quality, but newer Bluetooth versions are likely just as good as local MP3 playback if not better (not an expert though). For occasional listening outdoors, I doubt your Bluetooth speaker is so good that the difference will be significant, so do whatever is easiest and most convenient.
Ratman likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-01-2018, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobt3905 View Post
Scenario: I am installing Hi-res Home music player/audio setup with internal storage of my ripped FLAC files. ...
Thanks
No your are not. That is, there is no way that Hi-Res and Bluetooth are compatible. Bluetooth Compresses and therefore loses some quality. Though that does not mean it can't sound good, it just means it can't sound its best.

Unless I misunderstand, you should have every thing you need now to try FLAC over Bluetooth. You will either like it or not.

How much can you spend to make this happen?

There are reasonably priced Home Network Streaming devices -

Yamaha WXC-50 Network Pre-Amp - $350 -

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022WXC...XC-50&skipvs=T

https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/au...-50/index.html

Network Streaming assures that your Streams are full fidelity.

There is one additional options at a very low 'bluetooth' price, the Google ChromeCast-Audio which in addition to Network Streaming, I believe it also has Bluetooth.

Google ChromeCast-Audio - $35 -

https://store.google.com/us/product/chromecast_audio

Again, try Bluetooth, and see if you are satisfied with it. If you are, then fine.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
If you could spend a little more I would recommend the Avantree Oasis Plus aptX HD Long Range Bluetooth. I use one and it works excellent. I use it to connect a Bose Soundtouch Wave in my kitchen and a Bose Mini for my deck. It is feed via optical from my audio computer.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #6 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 193
I've got a portable music player that's only 2.1+EDR, came out before the aptX thing. I can't say I've ever noticed any sort of compression artifacts, and I've had it connected to various speakers and headphones. When I originally got it, I was going headphone jack to car's aux input by cable. I then bought one of those small plug in BT receivers for the car's aux jack so I could toss the cable tether. No appreciable difference there either, even compared to a same album loaded in the car's CD player.

If you've been happy with the quality of the BT speaker you already own, I think you'll be find the FLAC library playing over transmitter more than "reasonable".
post #7 of 7 Old 10-02-2018, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2275 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
... I would recommend the Avantree Oasis Plus aptX HD Long Range Bluetooth. ....
I would suggest you take a look at the Avantree Oasis Plus also, they are not that expensive - ($79) -

Avantree Oasis Plus aptX HD -

https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blue...dp/B07BQYYDNJ/

Not exactly cheap, but that's about the best you can get.

http://www.avantree.com/long-range-b...asis-plus.html

* Bluetooth version: 4.2
* Support profiles: A2DP, AVRCP
* Audio codec: aptX-HD, aptX-LL, aptX,, SBC
* Operational range: Class I, up to 50 meters (150ft)

Note this is both Transmitter and Receiver so it can take content in from sources like a Smart Phone, or it can transmit to destinations like Bluetooth Headphones.

But, there are perhaps Network Streaming options that are a better choice, but few under $100.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 10-02-2018 at 09:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page