What's Your Favorite Physical Audio Format - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: What's Your Favorite Physical Audio Format?
Vinyl Records 105 22.48%
Compact Disc 194 41.54%
Super Audio Compact Disc 102 21.84%
8-Track 2 0.43%
Compact Cassette 12 2.57%
Reel to Reel 16 3.43%
Digital Audio Tape 6 1.28%
USB Flash Drive 28 6.00%
HiFi VHS Tapes (for audio recording) 1 0.21%
Wire Recorder 1 0.21%
Voters: 467. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 145Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
I have a single SACD
(Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon)

But I have many Pink Floyd related Blu Ray Audio discs!

DSotM, WYWH, Medle, TDB, TER

SACD = Blu Ray Audio for me on this list.

I bought the Oppo971 DVD player in 2005 so I could listen to SACD's ... and also have only Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon ..


Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post
Recorded a lot of albums onto 8 Track. Had a 65 Mustang Fastback back then. Til this day as I listen to an old album, I sometimes wait for the click-clack of the track change. Still embedded in my head.
What engine is/was in your 65 stang fb? My brother has a 65 fb with 289 still today, I re-built that engine.
Before cc I had 8-track in my 69 Torino GT fb, and the obligatory 8-track huge boom box for when we parked, it took 8 D-cell batteries ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I've got a few early Jethro Tull, Steve Wilson remixes on vinyl (of course) such as Aqualung. Big thing is that Wilson reduces the number of right or left hard pans that were there in the original album making for a more real experience. I also have access to all of it through Tidal, but the vinyl sounds better. I don't listen to too much of this stuff as I'm more of a classical, jazz, big band, etc. fan
Ha - we always joked that aqualung was about "tooking and holding your hit in until you could no longer " .. hey it was the 70's

Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
This reminds me of my childhood years growing up about 5 miles from Norwalk Raceway Park in Ohio in the 80's. If the wind was blowing just right on a summer weekend day, you could hear the dragsters like they were in our backyard. Will always remember the sound of the jet trucks whenever they came to town....sounded like thunder in the distance on a clear summer day.

That, along with a couple other car-related interests at the time, inspired me to seek a career in Engineering....automotive engineering nonetheless. Graduated from General Motors Institute in "beautiful" Flint, MI...now known as Kettering University.
I've had a few Kettering engineering interns work for me over the past 10 years
mtbdudex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I bought the Oppo971 DVD player in 2005 so I could listen to SACD's ... and also have only Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon ..




What engine is/was in your 65 stang fb? My brother has a 65 fb with 289 still today, I re-built that engine.
Before cc I had 8-track in my 69 Torino GT fb, and the obligatory 8-track huge boom box for when we parked, it took 8 D-cell batteries ...

Ha - we always joked that aqualung was about "tooking and holding your hit in until you could no longer " .. hey it was the 70's

I've had a few Kettering engineering interns work for me over the past 10 years
Exactly and probably damaged my memory for life. The 60s wasn't much different, post about 1964 or so.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #93 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skytrooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Baden, Pa.
Posts: 1,245
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 387
[QUOTE=mtbdudex;57001956]I bought the Oppo971 DVD player in 2005 so I could listen to SACD's ... and also have only Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon ..




What engine is/was in your 65 stang fb? My brother has a 65 fb with 289 still today, I re-built that engine.
Before cc I had 8-track in my 69 Torino GT fb, and the obligatory 8-track huge boom box for when we parked, it took 8 D-cell batteries ...


Ha - we always joked that aqualung was about "tooking and holding your hit in until you could no longer " .. hey it was the 70's

The Mustang had 289, 3 speed on the floor. Silver smoke Gray with black interior. Had to sell when I got drafted. Had a Mini- 8, 8 track player. Used in dash speaker for left and cut a hole in rear side panel for a Jensen or JBL 6x9 speaker for right. Had nice bass.

When in Nam, ordered a 428 Cobra Jet Torino at the PX. Loaded. 2800$. Had to pick up in Detroit. Backed out of that deal and bought a Harley. Lucky to still be around after that bike.
mtbdudex likes this.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300
Game - Playstation 3 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K / L&R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Skytrooper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #94 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 09:52 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I don't see the digital formats as physical. They are virtual. The physical medium is not the format, the informational codec is not dependent on the medium per se.



Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
nolowfi likes this.
etyrnal is offline  
post #95 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PrimeTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Lower California
Posts: 3,234
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I still have hundreds of vinyl LPs from my youth, many of which never made it into the modern digital era. The biggest thing about LPs, for me, is the cover art, which never transitioned meaningfully to CDs.

Lots of cassettes, mostly recordings of radio shows like KPFK's Radio Free Oz, KMET's Flo & Eddie By The Fireside, and KFAC's Global Village.

CDs certainly upped the quality a few notches. I too despise the CD jewel cases.

Like it or not -- and I happen to love it -- we are now in the MPEG streaming era (except, of course, for a few holdouts in denial). The incredible range of music that is readily accessible, a lot of it free, is without doubt the best thing ever for those who love and explore musical worlds. I had to laugh reading the posts about those who can't sit still long enough to listen to entire tracks with all that's available -- FOMO finally comes to music appreciation!
CruelInventions likes this.

Last edited by PrimeTime; 10-23-2018 at 11:04 AM.
PrimeTime is offline  
post #96 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mtbdudex's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 6,770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytrooper View Post



The Mustang had 289, 3 speed on the floor. Silver smoke Gray with black interior. Had to sell when I got drafted. Had a Mini- 8, 8 track player. Used in dash speaker for left and cut a hole in rear side panel for a Jensen or JBL 6x9 speaker for right. Had nice bass.



When in Nam, ordered a 428 Cobra Jet Torino at the PX. Loaded. 2800$. Had to pick up in Detroit. Backed out of that deal and bought a Harley. Lucky to still be around after that bike.

Thank you for your military service.
428CJ Torino... dream stuff



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mtbdudex is offline  
post #97 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Suntan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 7,258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 133
These are all storage mediums, not formats.
Suntan is offline  
post #98 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4308
Wink

LP's are my #1 format of choice. Digital formats are fine but not as involving as some Hot Wax spinning on my TT. By the way I never use the term Vinyl. That's reserved for Kitchen floors and side panels for a house. Lp's, 33's, 45's and a few 78's are what I grew up with. And I beg you never say Vinyl Player.
Scotth3886 likes this.
Class A is offline  
post #99 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
R Harkness's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,125
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked: 2662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
LP's are my #1 format of choice. Digital formats are fine but not as involving as some Hot Wax spinning on my TT. By the way I never use the term Vinyl. That's reserved for Kitchen floors and side panels for a house. Lp's, 33's, 45's and a few 78's are what I grew up with. And I beg you never say Vinyl Player.
Yeah, I've got back in to "vinyl" in a big way, but it's damned weird calling it that as we certainly didn't ever call it vinyl growing up when it was the dominant format. I only call it that because...well...seems everyone else is, and people, including those who didn't grow up with the format, know what you are talking about immediately when you reference "vinyl."
R Harkness is offline  
post #100 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citizen arcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: At the gates of delirium
Posts: 7,591
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 18846
"Vinyls" - yuk
R Harkness, Class A and Scotth3886 like this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ

citizen arcane is offline  
post #101 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
tyree91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Colorado High Country
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post
"Vinyls" - yuk
Vinyl, obviously.
Scotth3886 likes this.
tyree91 is offline  
post #102 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
citizen arcane's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: At the gates of delirium
Posts: 7,591
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 18846
I'm 63. I grew up with 45s, records, albums or LPs as we called them; it seems that other term was coined with albums' resurgence and I suspect the younger generation that may be its driving force at this point. The denigrate term just bothers me....Wait - "hey kid, stay outta my yard".......now what was I saying?
Class A and Scotth3886 like this.

¿lɐɯɹou ǝq ʎɥʍ


Last edited by citizen arcane; 10-23-2018 at 07:52 PM.
citizen arcane is offline  
post #103 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 09:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizen arcane View Post
I'm 63. I grew up with 45s, records, albums or LPs as we called them; it seems that other term was coined with albums' resurgence and I suspect the younger generation that may be its driving force at this point. The denigrate term just bothers me....Wait - "hey kid, stay outta my yard".......now what was I saying?
Yeah, that bugs me. I don't mind so much when someone says that they listen to vinyl, although I don't understand how you can listen to your kitchen floor, but when someone calls them 'vinyls' that brings out the little heckler in me.
Class A likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #104 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 10:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Phantom Stranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Between the known and the unknown...
Posts: 4,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I only wish that the major labels had embraced SACD instead of abandoning the format around 2004-2005. We did end up getting some great releases from the audiophile labels and eventually from the Japanese, but it should have been widely adopted as CD's mass market replacement in the 2000s.


http://www.sa-cd.net/
Ovation and Scotth3886 like this.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tiers (updated through July 13, 2017)
Phantom Stranger is offline  
post #105 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4308
Thumbs up

Need to change the name of a "Record Hop" to a "Vinyl Hop"
Class A is offline  
post #106 of 196 Old 10-23-2018, 11:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,759
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Not being able to easily rip an SACD to a typical computer for over a decade is one hurdle and then successfully playing it on your iphone is another. These are largely why it never caught on IMHO.
m. zillch is offline  
post #107 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,172
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Not being able to easily rip an SACD to a typical computer for over a decade is one hurdle and then successfully playing it on your iphone is another. These are largely why it never caught on IMHO.
I disagree. All my SACDs have the CD layer ripped to iTunes for use with my phone while on travel. I only have one SACD that doesn't have a CD layer and that is Diana Krall, when I look into your eyes. For that, I've had to settle for the free download of 256kb mp3 from buying the disc at Amazon.

I tend to think the reason the format didn't catch on to replace CD is the vast majority of consumers felt CD was good enough. The audiophile community just isn't enough to sustain, replacement of a format. But the format lives on, mostly in classical discs, geared at the audiophile community.
Ovation likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #108 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
m. zillch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,759
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post
I disagree. All my SACDs have the CD layer ripped to iTunes for use with my phone while on travel. I only have one SACD that doesn't have a CD layer and that is Diana Krall, when I look into your eyes. For that, I've had to settle for the free download of 256kb mp3 from buying the disc at Amazon..
But then you aren't hearing SACD, you are hearing CD quality (or MP3 in the case of the Diana Krall you mentioned). If, like zillions of others, hearing music on the go and in the car/plane/train is largely how you consume music you might as well have bought the CD versions, not SACD, because they cost less.

Last edited by m. zillch; 10-24-2018 at 01:43 AM.
m. zillch is offline  
post #109 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 03:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,352
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Blu-ray Audio

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #110 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 03:59 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,985
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
But then you aren't hearing SACD, you are hearing CD quality (or MP3 in the case of the Diana Krall you mentioned). If, like zillions of others, hearing music on the go and in the car/plane/train is largely how you consume music you might as well have bought the CD versions, not SACD, because they cost less.
Correct.

It's all about "use cases" for the MBA's driving the marketing of formats.

If mobile use cases dominate the market, then mobile capable formats (file downloads, streams, easily-rippable CD's) "win" in the market as far as profitable mass markets are concerned.

This means streams, purchased file downloads (mostly lossy compressed, Tidal lossless/HDtracks.com notwithstanding) and CD rips (as trivial as a file copy nowadays) for most of the market/consumers.

That said, I'll reiterate my preference for media ownership- CD/SACD/DVDA-V/BDA-V for most of my purchased collection (for lossless quality) and vinyl (part nostalgia, part sound quality for vintage analog studio recorded albums) and cassettes/8 tracks mostly for nostalgia but also to enjoy vintage analog studio "tape sound" at lower cost/hassle than audiophile grade reel to reel.

Philosophically, I don't like the idea of exclusive media streaming (i.e. rent/lease to view). I want to own media, format shift it as needed, curate my collection and resell/gift as I want in the future.

Youtube, Youtube Music, Radio.com, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, Tidal etc are all nice conveniences to discover and sample music and use for cloud storage of purchases, but (physical) ownership will ALWAYS be 11/10ths of the law

BTW, CD's are FAR from a "legacy" format- most vehicles are still sold with a CD player (a sign of a healthy, alive format- cassettes "died" when players were no longer offered in cars/trucks), and last I checked, CD's are still the most used format in current audiophile magazines like Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc to evaluate gear, speakers.

I think most automakers plan to phase out factory CD players over the next 5 years or so since most people link their phone loaded with music via BT to their car audio and/or plug in their phone/stick/SD card/SDD/Hard Drive filled with music via USB and/or do HDradio/Sirius, but also to eliminate the warranty costs of mechanical CD players.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-26-2018 at 05:22 AM.
Rgb is offline  
post #111 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Need to change the name of a "Record Hop" to a "Vinyl Hop"

Oh boy. How old are you? That term dates back to the 50s
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #112 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Correct.

It's all about "use cases" for the MBA's driving the marketing of formats.

If mobile use cases dominate the market, then mobile capable formats (file downloads, streams, ripped CD's) "win" in the market as far as profitable mass markets are concerned.

This means streams, purchased file downloads (mostly lossy compressed, Tidal lossless/HDtracks.com notwithstanding) and CD rips for most of the market/consumers.

That said, I'll reiterate my preference for media ownership- CD/SACD/DVDA-V/BDA-V for most of my purchased collection (for lossless quality) and vinyl (part nostalgia, part sound quality for vintage analog studio recorded albums) and cassettes/8 tracks mostly for nostalgia but also to enjoy vintage analog studio "tape sound" at lower cost/hassle than audiophile grade reel to reel.

Philosophically, I don't like the idea of exclusive media streaming (i.e. rent/lease to view). I want to own media, format shift it as needed, curate my collection and resell/gift as I want in the future.

Youtube, Youtube Music, Radio.com, Google Play Music, Amazon Music, Tidal etc are all nice conveniences to discover and sample music and use for cloud storage of purchases, but (physical) ownership will ALWAYS be 11/10ths of the law

BTW, CD's are FAR from a "legacy" format- most vehicles are still sold with a CD player (a sign of a healthy, alive format- cassettes "died" when players were no longer offered in cars/trucks), and last I checked, CD's are still the most used format in current audiophile magazines like Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc to evaluate gear, speakers.

I think most automakers plan to phase out factory CD players over the next 5 years or so since most people link their phone loaded with music via BT to their car audio and/or plug in their phone/stick/SD card/SDD/Hard Drive filled with music via USB and/or do HDradio/Sirius, but also to eliminate the warranty costs of mechanical CD players.

"most vehicles are still sold with a CD player"

My latest car wasn't, and it's the first year of an all new ground up design. It's got plenty of USB ports and Apple Car Pay and Android Auto, but no CD. And it's aimed at the geezer market who is more likely to have and use an old format.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #113 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 05:31 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,985
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 645
I was actually told by Big 3 infotainment engineers ~10 yrs ago they planned to phase out CD players "In five years" at that time, yet all my ~2yr lease vehicles and family/friend's vehicles obtained in the past year or 2 still were shipped with a CD player.

In March this year my loaded full sized high power Dell laptop lease was up at work, and the replacement removed the internal DVD/CD drive, so optical drives are no longer stock on a lot of notebooks, too.
Trivial to add a USB optical drive for play/ripping, but still a milestone for physical formats.

For kicks I tried plugging in a notebook USB optical drive in my vehicle's USB data port (Meant for charging and USB sticks), but didn't appear to work- could be a power draw issue. Tried to see if the infotainment system would read a CD or DVD burned as data disc with MP3 files. YEs, the in dash CD player reads CD data discs with MP3 files, but it won't read DVD-R's (or BD-R's).

I have a lot of MP3 data discs burned to CD and DVD-R from ~15-20 years ago that I'd like to just pop in and play without having to copy to an SD card or stick first.

Last edited by Rgb; 10-24-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Rgb is offline  
post #114 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
I was actually told by Big 3 infotainment engineers ~10 yrs ago they planned to phase out CD players "In five years" at that time, yet all my ~2yr lease vehicles and family/friend's vehicles obtained in the past year or 2 still were shipped with a CD player.

In March this year my loaded full sized high power Dell laptop lease was up at work, and the replacement removed the internal DVD/CD drive, so optical drives are no longer stock on a lot of notebooks, too.
Trivial to add a USB optical drive for play/ripping, but still a milestone for physical formats.

For kicks I tried plugging in a notebook USB optical drive in my vehicle's USB data port (Meant for charging and USB sticks), but didn't appear to work- could be a power draw issue. Tried to see if the infotainment system would read a CD or DVD burned as data disc with MP3 files. YEs, the in dash CD player reads CD data discs with MP3 files, but it won't read DVD-R's (or BD-R's).

I have a lot of MP3 data discs burned to CD and DVD-R from ~15-20 years ago that I'd like to just pop in and play without having to copy to an SD card or stick first.

"For kicks I tried plugging in a notebook USB optical drive in my vehicle's USB data port"

Also certain hires formats don't work in the USB drive and it's limited to 25,000 titles, which is hard to believe that I, a certified geezer, ran over.

(I shouldn't say 'ran over' as that conjure up certain images of an 80 yr old in a Buick) Exceeded is a better term.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 10-24-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #115 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 07:15 AM
Rgb
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rgb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 7,985
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
"For kicks I tried plugging in a notebook USB optical drive in my vehicle's USB data port"

Also certain hires formats don't work in the USB drive and it's limited to 25,000 titles, which is hard to believe that I, a certified geezer, ran over.

(I shouldn't say 'ran over' as that conjure up certain images of an 80 yr old in a Buick) Exceeded is a better term.
Yes, always gotchas, caveats and quirks with the media player/OS capabilities of car infotainment systems- filesystem issues, file format issues, codec issues, etc.

DSD (dsf/dff) files? Who knows. Lossless .wav files? Maybe. Lossless compressed FLAC playback? If you are lucky. 24/96 or 24/192 lossless wav/flac/aiff/alac/mp4 playback? If the stars align.

Using a phone or portable media player/DAP via Bluetooth or line input solves that.

GOTCHA- many current/recent vehicle brands/lines have removed the line/AUX input, forcing only USB (with infotainment file system/format issues) or Bluetooth (Connection, lossy BT codec issues).

You canna win, cap'n

Last edited by Rgb; 10-24-2018 at 07:28 AM.
Rgb is offline  
post #116 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post

That said, I'll reiterate my preference for media ownership- CD/SACD/DVDA-V/BDA-V for most of my purchased collection (for lossless quality) and vinyl (part nostalgia, part sound quality for vintage analog studio recorded albums) and cassettes/8 tracks mostly for nostalgia but also to enjoy vintage analog studio "tape sound" at lower cost/hassle than audiophile grade reel to reel.
In addition to the vintage analog studio recordings on vinyl, don't overlook new releases on vinyl also.....the dynamic range on the newer LP's we have is incredible. Maybe it's the source material being much better these days, or the recording engineer's decision to not compress the dynamic range of the recording or something else.

The new LP's blow me away on our 2 channel vintage setup with a HK Citation II tube amp, Sony STR-7065 receiver (used as a pre-amp) and Sherwood Tanglewood speakers....all vintage 60's and 70's components.

My 13 y.o. daughter bought Taylor Swift's new double LP and my 15 y.o. son bought the LP soundtrack from the movie Black Panther....both are impressive in terms of dynamic range and fidelity when A/B compared with their digital counterparts using the same 2 channel setup.

Last edited by trhought; 10-24-2018 at 08:02 AM.
trhought is offline  
post #117 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgb View Post
Yes, always gotchas, caveats and quirks with the media player/OS capabilities of car infotainment systems- filesystem issues, file format issues, codec issues, etc.

DSD (dsf/dff) files? Who knows. Lossless .wav files? Maybe. Lossless compressed FLAC playback? If you are lucky. 24/96 or 24/192 lossless wav/flac/aiff/alac/mp4 playback? If the stars align.

Using a phone or portable media player/DAP via Bluetooth or line input solves that.

GOTCHA- many current/recent vehicle brands/lines have removed the line/AUX input, forcing only USB (with infotainment file system/format issues) or Bluetooth (Connection, lossy BT codec issues).

You canna win, cap'n
Funny to think of the typical 80 yr old big Buick sedan buyer dealing with all of this and not only the buyer/owner, but the dealer's sales department. They were so clueless that it was painful.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #118 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
In addition to the vintage analog studio recordings on vinyl, don't overlook new releases on vinyl also.....the dynamic range on the newer LP's we have is incredible. Maybe it's the source material being much better these days, or the recording engineer's decision to not compress the dynamic range of the recording or something else.

The new LP's blow me away on our 2 channel vintage setup with a HK Citation II tube amp, Sony STR-7065 receiver (used as a pre-amp) and Sherwood Tanglewood speakers....all vintage 60's and 70's components.

My 13 y.o. daughter bought Taylor Swift's new double LP and my 15 y.o. son bought the LP soundtrack from the movie Black Panther....both are impressive in terms of dynamic range and fidelity when A/B compared with their digital counterparts using the same 2 channel setup.
And listening to the thoroughly vintage 60 year old LPs on a truly modern system with particular attention paid to the analog playback part of it is revelatory.

The RCA Living Stereos LPs are just mind blowing how good these are. The Merc Living Presence are a touch brighter, but otherwise just as good. And the bass on these …. stereo bass and measured going down into the high 20s.
trhought likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #119 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
trhought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,198
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
And listening to the thoroughly vintage 60 year old LPs on a truly modern system with particular attention paid to the analog playback part of it is revelatory.

The RCA Living Stereos LPs are just mind blowing how good these are. The Merc Living Presence are a touch brighter, but otherwise just as good. And the bass on these …. stereo bass and measured going down into the high 20s.
Thanks for the tip on the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence LP's. Will be on the lookout for those...always looking for new material to demo on the 2 channel setup!

Regarding a modern analog setup, that's something that certainly interests me. Right now, I'm really enjoying the vintage equipment my father has given me piecemeal over the years.

When our 3 kids are all out of college, I certainly plan to start building a modern 2 channel system while keeping the vintage system also for comparison and sentimental reasons

Will have to balance that with the home theater upgrades.....always compromises in our hobby....uhmm....addiction.
trhought is offline  
post #120 of 196 Old 10-24-2018, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,774
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by trhought View Post
Thanks for the tip on the RCA Living Stereo and Mercury Living Presence LP's. Will be on the lookout for those...always looking for new material to demo on the 2 channel setup!

Regarding a modern analog setup, that's something that certainly interests me. Right now, I'm really enjoying the vintage equipment my father has given me piecemeal over the years.

When our 3 kids are all out of college, I certainly plan to start building a modern 2 channel system while keeping the vintage system also for comparison and sentimental reasons

Will have to balance that with the home theater upgrades.....always compromises in our hobby....uhmm....addiction.

I have three complete sets of RCA LSCs, Bluebacks and Living Presence, one set opened and played and two complete collections that are still sealed. Plus Chad Kassem has reissued very high quality LSCs reissues available at Acoustic Sound. I have all of the reissues too. That's how you end up with 20,000 LPs. http://store.acousticsounds.com/

But yes, I get you on the vintage equipment from family passed down.

trhought likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off