The $600 Affordable Audiophile System Challenge...Revisited 2018. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Pacodutaco
  • 1 Post By ematcion
  • 1 Post By glangford

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2018, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 2106
The $600 Affordable Audiophile System Challenge...Revisited 2018.

Back in 2015, I compiled a list of 2-channel stereo equipment that a person could select from to start a budget 2-channel stereo system. The intent was to find items that were factory new or factory refurbished all of which still have a warranty from their manufacturer. The goal was to keep within a $500 - $600 price point. This all started while gathering information for my own purchases while on a strict budget. After reviewing my notes, I decided to revisit this topic and put together a new list as of December 2018.

Often times, manufacturers ignore the needs of budget-conscience consumers and try to push out the best and greatest models while ignoring this demographic. Bells and whistles are nice but not everyone needs or desires them. After all, it’s all about the music for 2-channel lovers. The following information is intended to be USED AS A GUIDE. This is by no means an all inclusive list mostly because what is on sale today may not be available tomorrow and vise versa. There may be other good options that I haven’t explored. If you know of any please post them up.

As I stated in 2015, all items selected for this list have had good reviews online and many have been reviewed in numerous forums. Some have been reviewed on cnet.com and by respected reviewers such as Steven Guttenberg “The Audiophiliac”. So, if you want more info about a product on this list, you can check them out by using google.com and do your own search.

All the speakers listed were chosen because they provide decent bass output and still remain affordable. No sub-woofer would be needed with any of these speakers although one could be added later. As a general rule, I recommend purchasing the best speakers you can afford within your budget. Quality speakers are the most important part of any audio system. After all, they are what actually produce the music you hear so don’t go cheap on speakers. Generally speaking, speakers should make up about half or more of the total cost of your stereo system. Another point to note, in most cases, a pair of equally-priced bookshelf speakers will sound better than a pair of floor-standing speakers. This is simply because more materials are needed to make floor speakers so the drivers are usually not as good as a comparably priced bookshelf speaker. I would certainly keep this in mind when considering your speaker choice.

Also, I have listed CD players and turntables as the source devices. Personally, I dig CD’s but some may want a turntable instead of or in addition to a CD player. Originally, I wasn’t into the vinyl craze but after picking up a turntable a while back I too have been bitten by the “vinyl bug”. If you desire both, that can be worked into the mix too. You can still stay in the aforementioned price range but you will need to be a bit more creative in your selections. Finally, if you’re one of the folks who love to stream music or hook to a network as a source for their music you would need to consider one of the network stereo receivers I have listed. Most receivers nowadays have built in network features such as Spotify, Pandora, AirPlay and Bluetooth capable.

Please remember, not all 2-channel receivers have phono capabilities. If the receiver you are looking at doesn’t have a built-in phono stage you will need to get a turntable that has a phono stage built in or you will need a separate phono stage which in most cases will cost as much or more than the receivers listed here. You will need to do the research for yourself to determine if the receiver has the features you want.

So, here is the list of decent quality “audiophile affordable” (as IntelliVolume suggested we call it) gear to get someone started in 2-channel audio. This list takes into account prices as of today, December 5, 2018. As stated earlier, all items listed are either factory new or factory refurbished and all have manufacturer warranties. No used equipment was included since availability and price constantly change and they don’t have any warranty protection. As you will see, there are some real gems listed that would make a terrific addition to your music rig.

2-Channel Receivers:

Yamaha R-S202 Stereo Receiver = $90 (accessories4less.com)
Yamaha R-S300BLK Stereo Receiver = $136 (frys.com)
Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver = $144 (newegg.com)
Pioneer SX-10AE Stereo Receiver = $149 (newegg.com)
Yamaha R-N301 Network Stereo Receiver = $180 (accessories4less.com)
Onkyo TX-8140 Network Stereo Receiver = $189 (accessories4less.com)
Onkyo TX-8220 Network Stereo Receiver = $200 (crutchfield.com)

Integrated Amplifiers (no tuner):

Pioneer Elite 100W 2.0-Ch. Amplifier = $200 (bestbuy.com)

CD Players:

Onkyo DX-C390 5-CD Changer = $100 (accessories4less.com)
Onkyo C-7030 Single CD Player = $ 130 (accessories4less.com)
Pioneer PD-10AE CD Player = $179 (newegg.com)
Yamaha CD-C600 5-CD Changer = $180 (accessories4less.com)
Yamaha CD-S300 Single CD Player = $190 (accessories4less.com)

Turntables:

Audio-Technica AT-LP60-USB Turntable = $89 (newegg.com)
Pioneer PL-990 Fully Automatic Turntable = $119 (newegg.com)
Denon DP-29F Turntable = $150 (cruchfield.com)
Marantz TT42 Automatic Belt Drive Turntable = $160 (accessories4less.com)
U-Turn Audio Basic Turntable = $179 (uturnaudio.com)
Music Hall USB-1 Turntable = $199 (crutchfield.com & musicdirect.com)
Fluance RT-80 Turntable = $199 (amazon.com & fluance.com)
Denon DP-300F Automatic Belt Drive Turntable = $200 (accessories4less.com)
Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB Turntable = $250 (amazon.com, cruchfield.com & bestbuy.com)
Fluance RT-81 Walnut Turntable = $250 (amazon.com & fluance.com)

Bookshelf Speakers:

Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelf Speakers = $90 /pr. (accessories4less.com)
Polk Audio TSx110B Bookshelf Speakers = $138 /pr. (frys.com)
Klipsch R-15M Bookshelf Speakers = $158 /pr. (amazon.com)
Polk Audio TSx220B Bookshelf Speakers = $180 /pr. (frys.com)
Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2 Bookshelf Speakers = $200 /pr. (amazon.com)
Elac Debut B6 (old model) Bookshelf Speakers = $200 /pr. (musicdirect.com)
NHT SuperOne 2.1 Bookshelf Speakers = $232 /pr. (amazon.com)
Polk RTi A3 Bookshelf Speakers = $240 /pr. (crutchfield.com)
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 Bookshelf Speakers = $249 /pr. (musicdirect.com)
Canton GLE426 Bookshelf Speakers = $250 /pr. (accessories4less.com)
Klipsch R-51M Bookshelf Speakers = $250 /pr. (bestbuy.com & crutchfield.com)
Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf Speakers = $250 /pr. (crutchfield.com)
KEF Q150 Bookshelf Speakers = $270 /pr. (accessories4less.com)
Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 Bookshelf Speakers = $300 /pr. (amazon.com & cruchfield.com)

Floorstanding Speakers:

Polk Audio T50 Floorstanding Speakers = $178 /pr. (walmart.com)
Boston Acoustics CS260III Floorstanding Speakers = $200 /pr. (accessories4less.com)
JBL Arena 170 Floorstanding Speakers = $200 /pr. (jbl.com)
Pioneer SP-FS52 Floorstanding Speakers = $200 /pr. (amazon.com)
Polk Audio TSi300 Floorstanding Speakers = $300 /pr. (crutchfield.com)
Boston Acoustics A250 Floorstanding Speakers = $320 /pr. (accessories4less.com)

I hope this info helps guide folks to quality affordable stereo equipment and the pure enjoyment it can bring.

Regards,

John
dstewart51, Scotth3886 and yanks1 like this.

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects

Last edited by Pacodutaco; 12-11-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Prices are as of this post

NHT SuperZero v2.1 - $120/pair

https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...1&keywords=nht

NHT SuperoOne v2.1 - $230/pair

https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperOne-...2&keywords=nht
CSG123 likes this.

Avatar - My guard dog, Bogi - RIP

Part of my ever-growing SACD collection
post #3 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacodutaco View Post
Another point to note, in most cases, a pair of bookshelf speakers will sound better than a equally-priced pair of floor-standing speakers. This is simply because more materials are needed to make floor speakers so the drivers are usually not as good as a comparably priced bookshelf speaker. I would certainly keep this in mind when considering your speaker choice.
Added an important clarification that is implied but not explicitly stated.

Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor | Rythmik F12G | Parasound Halo P6 | PS Audio Stellar M700 | Oppo BDP-103
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-06-2018, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbulkexpanse View Post
Added an important clarification that is implied but not explicitly stated.

Thanks, you're correct. I updated my original post to help clarify that point as you suggested.

John

Marantz PM5005 Integrated Amplifier | Marantz CD5005 Compact Disc Player | Music Hall USB-1 Turntable | Audio-Technica AT95E Cartridge
Denon DRW-830 Cassette Tape Player | Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 Bookshelf Speakers | AudioQuest Evergreen Interconnects
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2018, 02:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 611
I'd add philharmonic audio affordable accuracy monitors to your list of bookshelves.
Lp85253 likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #6 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Update: I just found the Polk Audio T50 Floorstanding Speakers for $89 each or $178 /pr. at walmart.com so I updated it on the list above. If you haven't listened to them they are decent starter speakers for the money.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Polk-Audi...lack/151960946

Regards,

John

post #7 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematcion View Post
Prices are as of this post

NHT SuperZero v2.1 - $120/pair

https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperZero...1&keywords=nht

NHT SuperoOne v2.1 - $230/pair

https://www.amazon.com/NHT-SuperOne-...2&keywords=nht

I'm a huge NHt fanboy and these are GREAT prices for speakers that punch way above their weight (to use that tired cliche). I have three sets of the SuperOne's, two are used as main speakers for Marantz integrated amp based systems and one set are used as L/R rear speakers in my 5.0 (no sub) system. A single SuperOne is still being used as the center channel speaker in that system after 20 years. The SuperZeros are an incredible speaker, in some respects, even better than the SuperOne but probably need a sub for most users. I use my pair in my 2-channel bedroom system powered my a Marantz PM6004. They double as TV speakers and no sub is desired or required in this system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page