What audio component did you most regret purchasing - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 206Likes

post #31 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1951 Post(s)
Liked: 2748
The gently-used DUAL turntable I picked up a few years ago when I thought it might be fun to spin a few of my old LPs. The nostalgic novelty of retro wore off pretty quickly.
hhawk, adjutant and drh3b like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
I wanted to gouge my eyes out when I heard the Adcom, does that count?

This is all by reading the schematic, not by real listening as I NEVER listened to any Adcom. I don't like 555, the circuit is ordinary. To me, it's not any better than my Acurus 3X200 which is a so so amp. BUT I really like the design of the GFA565 monoblock. I pick that circuit out in favor of the big name like Krell or ML.

Adcom uses different designers, they even have Nelson Pass designed a few. I am pretty sure GFA565 was not designed by the person that design the 555. It's totally different and so so much better. But I never read any comment about 565 here.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #33 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I had the resources back then to pretty much buy whatever I wanted (I wish I had some of that $$$ now) so I generally had the ability to do direct A vs B and long term comparisons between speakers, cables, equipment, etc, I spent much time going back and forth between amps/preamps using two sets of huge ESLs and a pair of Maggies. We also did blind testing, although it was single blind, but I could not see my helper so I'm pretty dead nuts sure of what I heard and was able to not only note a difference, but accurately note which component I was listening to.

It is beyond me why people claim you cannot hear the difference without level matching and all the things. I might not have experience on other areas. I test amps, I spent 3 years doing nothing but comparing amps. People I had tested with consistently pick their favorite amp every time. They consistently tell the characteristic of each amp. they even picked their same favorite amp 3 months apart!!! No level matching ( all my amps have the same gain anyway, they sound to same level).

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2113
Very simple way to figure out the question,

If you went back in time, would your audio purchases differ in any way--with what you know now? For me, they sure would! Not with amps or CD players, those would remain the same for the most part. Speakers is my black hole that drained my wallet, time and caused grief. My issue was ignorance of what I wanted the speaker to do and underestimate my needs that I didn't understand. My first speakers (beyond the boom boxes) were very good but lacked in SPL, deep bass response and style. (I was 21...sue me!) I replaced them with stylish speakers with higher SPL capability and a very stout amp. However, they did not have the bass response I assumed they would have--and they died a horrible death within 18 months. So, I learned the hard way that I needed both larger and more efficient speakers--only blew them up 3 times in a year of ownership. After burning the voice coil on the woofer, replaced the driver and sold the speakers--it forced me to do a terrible thing! I bought a book on audio, speaker design, setup, how drivers are made and all that jazz. After a few books, I then realized I could not get speakers that could provide all my requirements in one pair--and fit where I lived.

So, I bought a small pair of speakers that had great sound quality, no bass response and decent but not very high SPL capability. I then mated them with a subwoofer, did the crawl and EQ to get that system to sound as good as I could (with limited acoustic panels and tricks) To get high SPL for party mode, I purchased a pair of 3-way 15" PA speakers and high passed them at 40Hz to protect the woofers. The PA speakers made great speaker stands for the much smaller sub/sat system and I was content--for the next 10 years. The amps/pre-amps etc. went away once my kids figured out how to turn it on so I put that system away and went with an AVR in 3.1 mode--moving to 5.1 mode years later once they understood it's operation. That AVR was used for 15 years so I got my money out of it! The mega amp I used drove subs until it fried...call that a win.

These days I do the same concept, the HT system in the house with an AVR, very efficient speakers and subs. The crazy train is out in the garage with old school amps, pre-amps, some EQ and large speakers and subs to play around with. Just like in my early 20's, one smaller system to do sound quality and clarity with the garage system to go full rockstar block party mode. I'm wise enough to know to have the party in the garage instead of the house because a spray hose can clean your garage easily.

My greatest regret was to not purchase, read and understand a few audio books I used to define the correct design requirements I needed from the start. If I did that, it would of saved me quite a bit of money, time and aggrivation by getting the proper speakers first. I admit it, I could of skipped purchasing 3 pairs of speakers and spent that money on something completely useless...dating! Since I have an electronics background, I didn't waste money on cables, amps and CD players--I'd still purchase the same ones (maybe a little less on the cassette deck--get off my lawn!) After reading a few audio books, I was smart enough to get an SPL meter, an Autosound 2000 test CD and the art of learning and correcting things really helped with home, PA and car audio games.

The best audio component I ever purchased happened by accident. I had $90 worth of stuff in my Parts Express cart which would of cost $17 in shipping. If I bought 99 bucks worth, free shipping so I looked for a gadget to get me there to save 13 bucks. The Lepai 2020+ with 13.5V 3 amp power supply was on sale for $19--why not? The cost difference was about $6.50 because of the free shipping so off I went. In the past 5 years, I've used it to test speakers (it is stable to 2 ohms) check subwoofer builds for friends in their cars, ran speakers from it off a car battery, used it when I'm filling the air with sawdust and general screwing around. The teenagers would crank that poor thing for so long the chip would mute the output allowing it to cool. About as close to idiot-proof as you can get and it gets the award for most abused audio component I've ever owned.

Biggest regret of a video component was a Laser Disc player--heavy and built like a tank but... I lost the thrill after owning 5 movies. Fun to scare children with, the huge tray and the giant, shiny discs give an appreciation for improvements in technology. This is NOT a record!

If you don't have any regrets after doing something over a long period of time, you are not doing it right At least I did better with audio than with cars and women--we don't need to talk about that.
post #35 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4095 Post(s)
Liked: 2564
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
It is beyond me why people claim you cannot hear the difference without level matching and all the things. I might not have experience on other areas. I test amps, I spent 3 years doing nothing but comparing amps. People I had tested with consistently pick their favorite amp every time. They consistently tell the characteristic of each amp. they even picked their same favorite amp 3 months apart!!! No level matching ( all my amps have the same gain anyway, they sound to same level).

Soundstage difference I hear regardless of volume. And soundstage and imagining are the BFD to me. Now true, side to side tracking with regards to FR is super important, but other than that and in spite of all of the other measurements and DBTs, etc., I still have to live with it on longer term use before I get to the 'do I like or do I don't'
post #36 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2814 Post(s)
Liked: 2731
^^^^ There's a man truly dedicated to bass!

It's funny how different the criteria is among listeners. I just never go chasing bass frequencies (I've had subwoofers and a crossover I bought now lying around for over a year unused, which tells you something about my priorities for adding more bass). For me it's tone, tone, tone first. Without it I can't listen to a high end system with any pleasure.

But that's all through a developing criteria through personal history and exigencies. When I was young and played in a funk band you can be darned sure when I went to choose a stereo it was the biggest speakers I could afford with lots of bass! (I know btw that 18Hurts chases quality bass, not "just bass.")
18Hurts likes this.
post #37 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

It's funny how different the criteria is among listeners. I just never go chasing bass frequencies (I've had subwoofers and a crossover I bought now lying around for over a year unused, which tells you something about my priorities for adding more bass). For me it's tone, tone, tone first. Without it I can't listen to a high end system with any pleasure.

But that's all through a developing criteria through personal history and exigencies. When I was young and played in a funk band you can be darned sure when I went to choose a stereo it was the biggest speakers I could afford with lots of bass! (I know btw that 18Hurts chases quality bass, not "just bass.")

I'm actually not that unusually so
post #38 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 1879
Bought a Sony Quadradial Stereo Pre Amplifier in 1974 and never got it hooked up to see what it would do before it was stolen. I hope the unit burned down the house or where ever it was installed.
emcdade and 18Hurts like this.
post #39 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
Bought a Sony Quadradial Stereo Pre Amplifier in 1974 and never got it hooked up to see what it would do before it was stolen. I hope the unit burned down the house or where ever it was installed.
This is America, they would sue you and win a large settlement because you allowed them to steal faulty equipment.
emcdade likes this.

Last edited by pjp; 12-12-2018 at 12:58 PM.
post #40 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked: 2071
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
So you bought a product and didn't take the time to try to learn it? Not everything is plug and play. Its one of the best $200 components you can buy. If you know how to use REW then minidsp is much easier to learn. Just follow the minidsp guide and its pretty straight forward. If you don't have the guide let me know and I'll PM it to you.

I watched a couple youtube videos on minidsp and that has given me the courage to try again...if you have a guide send it...I will read/watch anything that helps. I even contacted an avs member that lives near me to help...but that didnt pan out.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #41 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked: 1647
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I watched a couple youtube videos on minidsp and that has given me the courage to try again...if you have a guide send it...I will read/watch anything that helps. I even contacted an avs member that lives near me to help...but that didnt pan out.
just PMed you
torii likes this.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #42 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
This is America, they would sue you and win a large settlement because you allowed them to steal faulty equipment.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #43 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Impulse bought a pair of upfiring Atmos speakers (Pioneer). At least in my room I got no discernible Atmos effects. Couldn't install in-ceiling speakers (beadboard ceiling in an old house with bedroom above), so I ended up mounting speakers at wall/ceiling juncture about 2' in front of MLP. Now I can definitely appreciate a soundtrack that has a good Atmos mix. Ready Player One is a lot of fun.
post #44 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness View Post

For music, it's really not that important to have a sub for me. For tv, a sub will shake the floor. But it's the tone that matters.

post #45 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Soundstage difference I hear regardless of volume. And soundstage and imagining are the BFD to me. Now true, side to side tracking with regards to FR is super important, but other than that and in spite of all of the other measurements and DBTs, etc., I still have to live with it on longer term use before I get to the 'do I like or do I don't'

Sound stage, separation, 3D are what's important!!! That's what separate mid fi and hifi. You expect the system has good highs and bass already.
Scotth3886 likes this.

post #46 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 500
AKG K702 headphones. They have absolutely zero bass. From that day on I realised how little bass the majority of headphones (even expensive ones!) have.

Swapped them for a pair of Denon D5000, and thats the minimum bass quantity/extension/quality for me.
post #47 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 308
The only thing I regret purchasing is the boat load of Monster Cable I purchased before I knew any better.
post #48 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2330 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Pioneer Cassette Player, though this was back in the '80's. These were not very reliable devices, and once broke were hard to fix. However, I liked other Pioneer Equipment - good turntables, good tuners, good amps - which is why I assumed the Cassette Player would also be good ... it was not.

I've done a lot of mail order of equipment in my lifetime, always with good results. But the Cassette Player was a complete waste of money.

Steve/bluewizard
vzphoneman likes this.
post #49 of 270 Old 12-12-2018, 10:47 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Nakamichi BX-100 cassette deck, purchased around 1979. Not to be confused with Nakamichi's "Dragon" deck, the BX-100 was just a drag. Literally. From brand new, the tape transport would just stop randomly. I sent it back to the factory, it took a VERY long time to get back, months if I recall correctly, only for it to do the same thing. It was their bottom-of-the-line tape deck at the time, but still a large investment to me as a high-schooler. I had a cheap Akai tape deck before that Nak, and that sounded better and worked a lot better. Fortunately I held onto the Akai. I think I finally ended up throwing away the BX-100 -- I didn't want to deal with it, nor did I want to inflict its wrath on others by selling it. I guess today you could sell it on eBay as "for parts", but back then I felt better throwing it out.
post #50 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked: 5076
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm actually not that unusually so
I must have missed it. Did you ever solve the dual SVS sub problem you were having?
post #51 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I must have missed it. Did you ever solve the dual SVS sub problem you were having?
I gave up. The SVSs are sitting in the back of the room not connected to anything.

However, given that I've made big strides in curing the mid bass issues I've always had since the beginning in this room, I just might give them a try again.

The little ML Dynamo 700 subs have got to be within an inch of their lives when the electronica gets dialed up and things start pounding away at 110db or so. So they need a rest.
post #52 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Toshiba HD-XA2 player. we all know how that turned out. sold it on craigslist a while back.
post #53 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
Toshiba HD-XA2 player. we all know how that turned out. sold it on craigslist a while back.
Funny there's still a active thread for the Toshiba HD players on the Blu-Ray forum. Also did anyone you know buy a Divix player. The player that buried Circuit City.
post #54 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Funny there's still a active thread for the Toshiba HD players on the Blu-Ray forum. Also did anyone you know buy a Divix player. The player that buried Circuit City.
the player itself was very good. built like a tank. a bit slow to load. Just should've been more patient at the time and wait it out. Divx? wow totally forgot about that.

for a laugh:
fill35U and 18Hurts like this.
post #55 of 270 Old 12-13-2018, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Wink

I'm sold where can I get me a Divix player. They said going under is almost impossible!!!
18Hurts likes this.
post #56 of 270 Old 12-14-2018, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Denon dbp bluray 1800 and Samsung bluray, and Nad T something AVR receiver.

All was returned, with money back.

I love Denon and Nad and own components today from both.

But Samsung I don't think I buy again. But never say never.
post #57 of 270 Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 673 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Well its between an outlaw audio 1050 receiver or my denon x4000 receiver lol. The outlaw I got screwed on because I went off ebay prices but it works well and is a tank for 160 bucks its done a good job since Ive owned it. The x4000 was more money and the hdmi board is going bad, its doing the static noise from the speakers with and without sources, cant notice it when its loud but on quiet scenes its starting to piss me off. Denon should be fixing this for free.

Oh shoot, and an OPPO bdp83 thats a box weight. I still mean to send it in for repair but with dolby atmos discs coming out and it struggles with those I dont know.

- 6 BA CR6 array center channel, QSC AD-S82 L/R, 4 jbl 8330a surr , 8 jbl 12" subs w/Inuke 6000. JVC rs420, Denon x4000, Sony x800 -
post #58 of 270 Old 12-14-2018, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Ultra expensive components cables and RCA sub cable

I knew nothing about audio back 15 years ago...
Ted99 and Scotth3886 like this.

MAKE AUDIO GREAT AGAIN | Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #59 of 270 Old 12-14-2018, 06:31 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIDexII View Post
But Samsung I don't think I buy again. But never say never.
Samsung makes some really high performance equipment, but the reliability and durability of their products in general seems to be less than ideal.
post #60 of 270 Old 12-14-2018, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
PS Audio Directstream DAC -- sold that one within a week.

Martin Logan Montis -- they ended up sounding exactly like they looked: a panel on top of a cheap subwoofer. Disjointed and incoherent. Martin Logans SUCK for playing rock music.

Can you elaborate on the PS Audio? That is not cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page