Four New Turntables from Fluance - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #31 of 254 Old 12-31-2018, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Well, I didn't receive any shipping confirmation today, so I assume that I won't be seeing it before next Monday?

I know that they ship by UPS and I am only 650-700 miles (roughly 1000-1100 km?) south of Niagara Falls NY. I was hoping to get it set up along with my SVS Prime elevation speakers this week, but I am retired, so I can be patient... (reluctantly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 254 Old 01-01-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ratledge View Post
Exactly why I went with the RT-85W. Truthfully I will probably go to the 2M Bronze, but for $50 you upgrade from 2M Red? You can't upgrade stylus only for twice that.

I seriously thought that the price for the 84 was $50 too high considering the only real difference is the acrylic vice aluminum platter. They are going to ask $100+ for the acrylic platter alone? (sooner or later, they are barely keeping up with demand for the 85 which is only available on their website for now). That just doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah, even for people who have found they prefer the sound of 2M Red over Blue, it seems too enticing to get that value.

I think the other difference between the 84 and 83 is that, based on the pictures on the website for each model's page, 83 does not appear to have an adjustment dial on the power supply box. I am assuming it is still adjustable on the 83, but I would be curious to know how convenient it is versus the dial the 84 and 85 have. RT80 and 81 are adjustable with a small screwdriver through holes in the bottom of the turntable, which is kind of annoying to do. Does that along with the acrylic platter warrant $100? I have no idea. I do think those differences along with the 2M Blue make the 85 worth $150 more than the 83, though.
post #33 of 254 Old 01-02-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
Yeah, even for people who have found they prefer the sound of 2M Red over Blue, it seems too enticing to get that value.

I think the other difference between the 84 and 83 is that, based on the pictures on the website for each model's page, 83 does not appear to have an adjustment dial on the power supply box. I am assuming it is still adjustable on the 83, but I would be curious to know how convenient it is versus the dial the 84 and 85 have. RT80 and 81 are adjustable with a small screwdriver through holes in the bottom of the turntable, which is kind of annoying to do. Does that along with the acrylic platter warrant $100? I have no idea. I do think those differences along with the 2M Blue make the 85 worth $150 more than the 83, though.
Audio is all about personal tastes, and I have a good friend who replaced his worn red sstylus with the blue version. I prefer brighter sound, which is why I picked Klipsch horn loaded and ML "folded motion" tweeters for my mains and surrounds.

I assume that the pix on their website aren't really the new models, but I didn't look in the past week or two, could easily be, now. Pretty sure they were dummy 81's with Ortofon cartridges at first.

The 2M blue may be just fine, I will have to do some critical listening at the Audio Advisor store next time I am in Charlotte. Many users do not know the details, but I assume most users here know that the red & blue use the same cartridge and bronze & black also share internals. The bronze stylus on a red or blue cartridge probably won't sound like it should. If you happen to own one of the OEM 2M silver cartridges, maybe closer. It uses silver coated wire like the bronze & black "with fewer windings" per their website.

I'll post pix as soon as possible, let's see what we get. I think well be more than pleased with our $450-$475 expenditures!

I see that I have a pending delivery from "Circus World Display" of Niagara Falls Ontario coming next Tuesday. I never knew / equated CWD Limited with "Circus World Display" but there we go.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-02-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 254 Old 01-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Yes, Circus World Display is them (parent company name or something like that).
post #35 of 254 Old 01-02-2019, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:

I'll post pix as soon as possible, let's see what we get. I think well be more than pleased with our $450-$475 expenditures!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
An RT-84 was delivered to me yesterday, I guess I'll be spinning my (small) record collection soon enough. I'll be curious to read your impressions of the RT-85.
Hi guys,

Looking forward to your thoughts and impressions.

Would there be any way for you to acquire a USB microscope and VTA gauge to determine the VTA and the Azmith as set by the factory on this new series of tt from Fluance?

Since they chose not to allow for tonearm height adjustment or VTA or Azmith, you're at their mercy as far as getting all of the settings correct. This is not a criticism on my part, I'd just like to know how accurate is the setup for a $500 Fluance tt v a $500 tt from another manufacturer (Rega, Pro-ject, Music Hall, etc).

Thanks in advance.
rkXLV likes this.

Audio: Triangle Borea BR03 * Musical Fidelity M2si * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
Video: Hisense H8F 55" UHD TV * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * ROKU Streaming Stick +
post #36 of 254 Old 01-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, Circus World Display is them (parent company name or something like that).
Yep, I received the shipping notice from Fluance shortly after I posted here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnin View Post
Hi guys,

Would there be any way for you to acquire a USB microscope and VTA gauge to determine the VTA and the Azmith as set by the factory on this new series of tt from Fluance?

Since they chose not to allow for tonearm height adjustment or VTA or Azmith, you're at their mercy as far as getting all of the settings correct. This is not a criticism on my part, I'd just like to know how accurate is the setup for a $500 Fluance tt v a $500 tt from another manufacturer (Rega, Pro-ject, Music Hall, etc).

Thanks in advance.
I would love to to help, but I don't have the requisite equipment. Unfortunately not an old school audio buff, but I will be taking unboxing video and setup likely as well.

If it is something that I can aquire easily or borrow for the time needed, I can give it a go with adequate instructions.

Vertical Tracking Alignment seems straightforward, but how do you measure azimuth?

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-03-2019 at 04:56 AM.
post #37 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 AM

I do wish more tonearm adjustability had been part of their new designs, but it seems they helped keep cost down by continuing to use the same arm assembly as the previous models. These are still budget turntables, after all. At around this price range, based on my own shopping, AT-LP120 offers tonearm height adjustment, and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon offers azimuth adjustment, but neither of those offers both, or some of the other features and specs Fluance does with the new models (exceptional wow-and-flutter of .07%, auto-stop, and the Pro-Ject makes you remove the platter to change speed). Always compromises somewhere, right? From what I have seen, to get as much of all that as possible, you might have to substantially increase budget and get a MoFi StudioDeck, and even then you don't get the auto-stop.

I assume they are confident they are setting everything correctly for the Ortofon cartridges, and that their market is still mainly people who don't want to take VTA and azimuth into their own hands. And, to be honest, I think azimuth inaccuracy is more a function of stylus/cantilever construction variance. It would be nice to know if Fluance's factory-set tonearm height and headshell positioning tend to be accurate, though.
spinnin likes this.

Last edited by rkXLV; 01-03-2019 at 07:57 AM.
post #38 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9555 Post(s)
Liked: 16966
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.
I wouldn't be able to get this combo in time before heading to CES 2019, but when I get back I could order it.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #39 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to get this combo in time before heading to CES 2019, but when I get back I could order it.

That would be well worth the wait! I'm sure others would like to know this information as well (at least I hope so!).

Enjoy CES!

For reference, I find the HiViNyws channel on Youtube to be excellent in providing this information when reviewing turntables. I hope you do as well.

Audio: Triangle Borea BR03 * Musical Fidelity M2si * Bluesound Node 2i * 12" SVS sub * APC H10
Vinyl: Fluance RT82 * Nagaoka MP-110 * Bottlehead Reduction + Integration * KAB RF1
post #40 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks in advance.

Cool. I had about $60 in eBay bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I found a 5MP USB microscope with 50x to 1000x magnification power that I should have by the 10th and bought the bundle from Hudson HiFi, which should be here on the 8th.

TT is due on the 8th, although it might make it Monday (7th).

Any pointers, guys? I am a total nube with this stuff, but more than willing to contribute to the greater good, as they say. I assume the protractor and VTA / azimuth measurement stuff from Hudson's will have adequate instructions (in English, no less), but what specifically am I looking for with the 'scope?

I will take pix and post here, of course! (with links to the unboxing and setup videos on YouTube).

It won't be my first YouTube video. 2nd or 3rd, perhaps? Ahahahahaha...

I wish I had planned for CES this year, having made 3 of the last 5 and 2 or 3 back in the early 2000'ish time frame. Enjoy!
spinnin likes this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-03-2019 at 07:35 PM.
post #41 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Cool. I had about $60 in eBay bucks burning a hole in my pocket so I found a 5MP USB microscope with 50x to 1000x magnification power that I should have by the 10th and bought the bundle from Hudson HiFi, which should be here on the 8th.

TT is due on the 8th, although it might make it Monday (7th).

Any pointers, guys? I am a total nube with this stuff, but more than willing to contribute to the greater good, as they say. I assume the protractor and VTA / azimuth measurement stuff from Hudson's will have adequate instructions (in English, no less), but what specifically am I looking for with the 'scope?

I will take pix and post here, of course! (with links to the unboxing and setup videos on YouTube).

It won't be my first YouTube video. 2nd or 3rd, perhaps? Ahahahahaha...

I wish I had planned for CES this year, having made 3 of the last 5 and 2 or 3 back in the early 2000'ish time frame. Enjoy!
Mike, thank you so much for taking the plunge!

The YouTube channel I linked to above will describe everything you need to know.

Also, he measures the turntables he reviews and I was very surprised to see how many manufacturers have the wrong VTA & Azimuth set from the factory.

Hopefully, these videos (no affiliation) will help you:

post #42 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Any idea when the rt85 will be back in stock?
Wanted to order one before Christmas and got busy... came back to order one after Christmas and saw they were out of stock. Singed up to be notified but been looking daily for over a week now...
Hopefully soon..

Orotund Desert Theater;7.7.4,14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620,120" ATscreen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5ch ,Crown xls2500, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Inwall Triad Silver LCR, 4 Atmos Core5, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 3 MBM, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats & more.
post #43 of 254 Old 01-03-2019, 08:10 PM

Quote:
I do wish more tonearm adjustability had been part of their new designs, but it seems they helped keep cost down by continuing to use the same arm assembly as the previous models. These are still budget turntables, after all. At around this price range, based on my own shopping, AT-LP120 offers tonearm height adjustment, and Pro-Ject Debut Carbon offers azimuth adjustment, but neither of those offers both, or some of the other features and specs Fluance does with the new models (exceptional wow-and-flutter of .07%, auto-stop, and the Pro-Ject makes you remove the platter to change speed). Always compromises somewhere, right? From what I have seen, to get as much of all that as possible, you might have to substantially increase budget and get a MoFi StudioDeck, and even then you don't get the auto-stop.

I assume they are confident they are setting everything correctly for the Ortofon cartridges, and that their market is still mainly people who don't want to take VTA and azimuth into their own hands. And, to be honest, I think azimuth inaccuracy is more a function of stylus/cantilever construction variance. It would be nice to know if Fluance's factory-set tonearm height and headshell positioning tend to be accurate, though.
Music Direct had the Music Hall mmf 2.2 on closeout for $225. I was all set to pull the trigger but they sold out before I could place my order. The mmf 2.2 allows for arm height and VTA adjustments. It lacks auto stop, as do most manual turntables. I would have ordered the Q Up tonearm lifter had I bought the mmf 2.2.

rkXLV likes this.

post #44 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked: 610
How good are the Uturn turntables?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #45 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
How good are the Uturn turntables?

I have no experience with how they sound, but visually, the parts look pretty cheap to me (specifically the tonearm/headshell, and the dust cover hinges, which seem like they could break...). The options available offer some nice flexibility in what you get within the sub-$500 price range (MDF or acrylic platter, pre-amp built in or not, a variety of factory-aligned cartridge options from a few brands), but these new models from Fluance level that field a bit. I think U-Turn is still a good option to consider at these price points, though.
post #46 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is Fluance better? How about Pro Ject, MH, Rega?

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #47 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 03:18 PM

In this price range, it really seems like which is "better" depends on which compromises you are more willing to accept. There is something appealing about an established brand like Pro-Ject, MH, or Rega, but Fluance has made an effort to pack more features in for the same price, and U-Turn lets you choose from various options, then builds it to order in the USA.

My opinion, assuming the performance specs measure up as advertised and prove reliable (that's where the major brands might have an edge), is that the Fluance RT-85 and RT-82 are the best values at their price points. I think among the models in this series, the RT-82 offers a lot for $300, and the RT-85 steps up to acrylic platter and 2M Blue cart for only $200 more. I am not sure the RT-83 is worth $50 more than the 82 for just the 2M Red upgrade (SuperOM-10 is only a $28 less expensive cart than 2M Red, and the SuperOM can accept any of the OM-series stylus replacements), and between the RT-84 and RT-85 I think you might as well pay just $50 more to get a 2M Blue instead of a 2M Red (the two carts alone are $130+ different in price). So if I were choosing among these, I would choose either the bottom or top in the series, not the two in-between options.

Fluance and U-Turn have 2-year warranties, and the rest are 1 year, for what that's worth. I will, however, disclose that I have had to utilize the warranty multiple times for the Fluance RT80 I own (mine actually crapped out again this week...but they are replacing it). So the "prove reliable" concern comes into play. These new models claim to be improved in this regard, but only time and the experience of those who have bought them all up over the past few weeks will tell. For someone who is more comfortable with a known quantity, I don't know that you can go wrong with Pro-Ject, MH, or Rega.
post #48 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 03:54 PM

Red face

Quote:
Is Fluance better? How about Pro Ject, MH, Rega?
WAY too early to tell, especially exactly / specifics of where these new Fluance "Reference" models turn out. I would not have ordered an RT-85 unless I was confident that they could deliver the walk they are talking.
We'll see, and much will be posted here first, now that I have the ammunition to analyze further and deeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Any idea when the rt85 will be back in stock?
Wanted to order one before Christmas and got busy... came back to order one after Christmas and saw they were out of stock. Singed up to be notified but been looking daily for over a week now...
Hopefully soon..
Basically the same here. I dropped one in my cart the day they were announced, came back two days later and that specific combo was sold out (walnut RT85).

I signed up for notification when it was available and received notice two or three days later, ordered that day.

I now know that they were out of stock on the US side and mine was shipped from Canada, or I probably would have it today. Just sign up, they have to fill the hole soon, especially since they are still sole source as far as I know.

Quote:
Mike, thank you so much for taking the plunge!

The YouTube channel I linked to above will describe everything you need to know

Also, he measures the turntables he reviews and I was very surprised to see how many manufacturers have the wrong VTA & Azimuth set from the factory.

Hopefully, these videos (no affiliation) will help you:

https://youtu.be/2cexQ4DmeoM

https://youtu.be/YE7Brwfwo0U

https://youtu.be/MuuOgT0XBK0
I will be ready! As soon as I get mine I will shoot an unboxing video and post it here, follow with a setup video and then do the measurement stuff.

I am a novice with YouTube more or less, so be gentle, folks.
rkXLV likes this.
post #49 of 254 Old 01-04-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Which Rega is the newest from the 3 series the RP3 or P3?

post #50 of 254 Old 01-05-2019, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Which Rega is the newest from the 3 series the RP3 or P3?
I'm guessing this should be in a different thread (since it has nothing to do with Fluance turntables), but Planar 3 (P3) is their current model.

If your price range is at that level, I am assuming P3 probably outperforms any of the Fluance models, and certainly has the trusted reputation of an established brand. Regas are also extremely modifiable with upgrade parts and accessories, if you're into that. There are multiple other turntables around the P3's price point that should also outperform Fluance.

The choice between Rega and Fluance is likely to be more in line with the P1 or the P2. I think Fluance's market is people who can't or really don't want to spend $1000+ on a turntable and cartridge. They're trying to give you greater than $500 value in their $500 turntable, but I don't know that it's the equivalent of a $1000 deck.
asere, WOKNROX and Mike Ratledge like this.
post #51 of 254 Old 01-05-2019, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Hopefully these will be back in stock soon. I'm finding myself starting to look elsewhere for a TT. I bought a Jolida phono preamp with upgrades and it arrives today. Was really hoping a new RT85 wouldn't be that far behind it...

I was hoping to retire the 40 yr ol Pioneer...lol
post #52 of 254 Old 01-05-2019, 08:32 AM

I forgot to mention above that I am familiar with Ian and HiViNyws and watch most of his videos. Some are better than others, but I am already familiar with the basics, of course.

My previous TT was relieved from duty by a hurricane that destroyed my homes here in coastal South Carolina. I live in Awendaw, about 30 miles north of the city - where I was born and have lived for over 64 years. Now retired, I decided to rebuild my AV setup and started with basics, like the Marantz SR7012, Klipsch RP280F mains with 450C center, some MartinLogan motion 4i surrounds, SVS SB16 Ultra bass pump and their Prime Elevation speakers.

Still have my OG DSotM MoFi OMR vinyl which happened to be at my dad's house with me when I escaped along with wife and animules. Since it is in near mint condition, I bought another from eBay after watching long enough to catch one nearly in as good condition for $60. That will be my source for setup and break-in once I get things just right.

Azimuth is obviously critical for correct playback with L vice R balanced correctly, but I don't have a Fosgometer, so we will be flying by the seat of our pants, so to speak. I am an engineer by trade, but in network security as opposed to AV or related field. The VTA specifics are more a check of whether or not Ortofon checks every single canti vs needle alignment - which I have to believe they do, but to what point or I suppose just how fine tuned with a ~$200 cartridge - we'll see!

Fortunately, being retired I have time on my hands to play with all this, and figure out precisely how much time Fluance spent with the mechanics of the new reference series TTs.

I am an audio purest, so I understand that everything is going to be a compromise to a certain extent, and we aren't dealing with a $10,000 TT or even a $1000 range setup, but I expect great things having done my homework as always. Once you journey beyond the price point to $1000+ platters, many more things are able to be fine tuned, but I feel sure that I can maximize my return on investment.

We'll see starting Monday afternoon. I don't even have any decent video equipment, but I have 4k Android (Pixel XL) and a 4k Canon recent cam, so I will do my best to document my adventures. Any suggestions as far as video editing software? I have not even explored that arena... I do have a half decent mic, so maybe I can get by with some freeware apps. I prefer to keep my investments in new vinyl and other music.
spinnin and rkXLV like this.
post #53 of 254 Old 01-07-2019, 11:37 AM

Angry Not my day with electronics

Well, maybe? The Fluance RT85W did arrive about an hour ago, but my camera is having an off day and as soon as I tried to take a picture with my Pixel XL it died. Battery probs, I think?

In any case, I walked back up to the third floor and grabbed my tablet and took a quick pair of pix, so we'll be trying again tomorrow once I get the batteries in the camera recharged and hopefully the rest of the stuff will be here. Since I originally expected this arrive tomorrow, I didn't rush things from Amazon, Hudson HiFi, etc.

The Hosa RCA grounded CRA202DJ cables came, I have a digital scale ready, but otherwise I would be setting some things up twice.

Looking at the serial number, I apparently have the 15th unit off the line (first four digits are YYMM of manufacturing).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_141312.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2507288   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190107_141253.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	2507290  
spinnin, WOKNROX and rkXLV like this.
post #54 of 254 Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Nice to see it arrived..cool bonus that it came a day early too...

Still no word on availability but Fluance is blowing me up with emails for everything else they have tho...

Orotund Desert Theater;7.7.4,14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620,120" ATscreen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5ch ,Crown xls2500, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Inwall Triad Silver LCR, 4 Atmos Core5, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 3 MBM, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats & more.
post #55 of 254 Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM

I wonder if the availability issue is a limit of 2M Blue supply from Ortofon? Otherwise I would think they would be prioritizing production of RT85, given that appears to be where the demand is.
post #56 of 254 Old 01-07-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well after looking at Rega, Uturn and now reading more and more on the Fluance especially the RT85 I may pull the trigger on the RT85.
I love the idea that it comes with a blue cartridge.

post #57 of 254 Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
FWIW, I have a Project Debut Carbon Esprit SB (Beatles edition), that came with the 2M Red. I upgraded to the 2M Blue and felt it was a night and day difference, I really thought the Red was rather poor in comparison. Definitely worth the extra $50, being as it is normally nearly an extra $150 more by itself...

spinnin and rkXLV like this.

Home Theater: Marantz AV7703 Prepro, B&K Reference 200.2 SII running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds),
Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" screen or Vizio 70"

SYS 2: Quicksilver Linestage Preamp, Proceed BPA2 amp, Tekton Lore-S spks.
post #58 of 254 Old 01-09-2019, 04:38 PM

I'm learning just how little I know about publishing to YouTube!

Anyway, even though I totally dropped the ball so far, I went ahead and created a new account called "No Static at All" and posted VERY raw footage of about 4 1/2 minutes of video taken when I unboxed the RT85 today.

(### Replaced by updated version of the six parts spliced together ###)

I assume this will work for everyone. I went and changed the new account to "Public" and used LightWorks to publish 720P raw video. Somehow I managed to record the entire thing SANS audio. I had my lavalier mic hooked up to the Canon camera and had tested it - which seemed to be just fine - of course. I suppose that I will be able to redo the whole thing, add audio and synchronization and figure out why my attempts to graft the six pieces I hacked out of the 20 minutes total footage I took I had chopped down to roughly 10 minutes, maybe 8 or 9 once I figure out what I am doing wrong, or if perhaps it is simply unwilling to do anything more until I pay for it.

It seems pretty odd that they would cripple it so badly that you can't really figure out if it is worth having, much less paying for. Anyway, this is pretty much horrid, but I didn't want to delay at least posting it here.

Now that I know the problem I will figure out why, and get on with the setup process including the VTA, SRA, Azimuth, etc. I have all the tools I need for everything except for the USB microscope which is apparently just sitting in California for a week now, as far as I can tell. It's either the postal service or the guy printed out the shipping label and didn't actually have the $20 item he sold me on eBay? I have always had great luck there for over 20 years now, but maybe I found my first con? Not certain, but I will figure it out and get one from Amazon by Monday if it appears I was bamboozled.

This is one short step short of embarrassing, but I will get over it and figure things out.

Hudson HiFi protractor & lucite block, 280 gram Viborg record weigh with integrated 60Hz marking and bubble level, Hosa cables, etc. All here save for the microscope.

I am not one to go spend $80-$100 on one of the AudioQuest "Wildcat" or Pangea Audio Premier SE interconnects or similar, but the $8 investment sounded reasonable.

Some things I assumed would be in the documentation is not, but much is obvious once you look. Here's the basic information many have asked for. By the way, just for comparison an Ortofon SH-4 headshell weighs 9.6 grams if you use the short screws and 10.4 if you need the longer version pair of screws. I just weighed a new one I have here already.

That seems to eliminate most metal bodied cartridges like Nagaoka MP-300, but most reasonably priced MM carts should work. Even their MP-200 or lower should, although finding and using a lighter headshell might make it possible to use a 9 gram cart like the MP-300? We'll see, I'm sure! The stated range is 3.5 to 7.5 grams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PSX_20190109_195751_1547082256009.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2508458  
rkXLV likes this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-11-2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the graphic
post #59 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 AM

Exclamation Second try has minimal audio picked up by the camera

Jeez! I will be looking at some YouTube videos for LightWorks this morning. There's still basically nothing WRT to these new spin boxes so I will figure out and post it fixed up.

I will go out on a limb and guess that they want some coin? That is the most likely scenario, I suppose.

Anyway, I will work on it, obviously! What matters most is the sound or sound quality. After critical listening with the wife last night I have to state that the combination of the upgraded 100% analogue electronics, new acrylic platter, three foot balancing mechanism and likely most importantly the move up the scale to the Ortofon 2M Blue phono cartridge the music produced is nothing short of awesome!

I settled on that word after thinking about it overnight and it just fits, is universally recognized and age-proof - obviously from seeing the old goat in the video mumbling, that works. The precision is impressive, as well. Speed triple check finds that the 60Hz markings on the TT are rock solid, to the point at first I figured that I might be doing something wrong, but in fact those 60Hz spaced bars don't even jitter a little bit - at all.

Color me impressed, let's say almost jaded. After rechecking the listings on YouTube this morning I found a second RT82 video which was a mostly live stream that might throw some people. After a few minutes of unpacking his player the video goes blank for several minutes both sound and video, but then resumes with a lengthy interview mostly with himself ("Joe N Tell" is the channel / username). Mostly him talking to himself because only one person had attended the live stream. I obviously should not be critical of anyone else's YouTube skillz at this point but after maybe 15 minutes there were 4 people and it digresses into comparison with his AT120.

Okay, the other thing is that these new RT-82, 83, 84 & 85 are all analogue and don't have a pre-amp at all. Some people might find that off putting, but personally I think Fluance scored again. The result is near alchemy, absolutely perfect, unmatched clarity, sonic purity and true vinyl perfection. I am willing to say that the combination of the improved speed control which is a combination of things, primarily due to the acrylic stability from impetus and the constant feedback from the "up to" 500 times per minute speed correction provided by the new electronics.

So far I did nothing but use the provided setup, zero tweaks save for the swap to the Hosa CRA202DJ cables, and frankly I didn't even try listening with the provided cables. They pack one 3' (didn't measure it, but likely all three are 1 meter in length) plus two ground wires. Smart plan since many people will need a phono stage like the Schiit Mani, so grounds between all three parts.

Technically the terminology "phono stage" is correct and it's not a pre-amp in the traditional sense unless you go with a "pre-pre-amp". I won't try to educate people here further, since I am likely preaching to the choir as they say. The bottom line is that I will state that this $500 investment is the best thing I have done for years and for my sound system.

My specific setup is a Marantz SR7012 and a combination of Klipsch RP280F & RP450C mains, MartinLogan Motion 4i surrounds, SVS SB16 Ultra sub and a pair of SVS Prime Elevation speakers when I play music with Atmos or use the Auro-3D surround upmixer. "Sounds real gooood" as the old school commercials go. (may be that you need to be from coastal South Carolina for that? Not sure...).

I took enough time to figure out that LightWorks is too much trouble for me, anyway. I hadn't even thought about the fact that I have Nero 2019 Platinum including the video editing software so I am going to put a few cycles in that and replace the existing version later today. I clicked a quick pix and added it below. My Zerodust and the Viborg weight / clamp are now resident.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190110_111506.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2508688  
rkXLV likes this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-10-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Additional comments and pix
post #60 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 08:51 AM

This is great information, thank you!

Good to hear the speed is steady. Is there actually any way to adjust the speed, or are we left to trust their calibration? I ask because the old models have screw adjustments, and I thought the promo pics showed a speed box, but it doesn't appear that is the case, based on the manual and another unboxing video I saw (and I don't see it in yours, either). I am guessing that with the servo controller, it might not be as simple to have user adjustability as the more basic DC motor of the old models. As long as it's accurate and stays accurate, I really don't care about that, anyway. I just want 33.3 and 45 to be what they are supposed to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page