Four New Turntables from Fluance - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 114Likes

post #61 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Great write up Mike...thanks for taking the time to do this. Much appreciated.

Now for the real question.....
When the heck are these going to be back in stock!!!
spinnin and rkXLV like this.

Orotund Desert Theater;7.7.4,14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620,120" ATscreen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5ch ,Crown xls2500, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Inwall Triad Silver LCR, 4 Atmos Core5, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 3 MBM, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats & more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
This is great information, thank you!

Good to hear the speed is steady. Is there actually any way to adjust the speed, or are we left to trust their calibration? I ask because the old models have screw adjustments, and I thought the promo pics showed a speed box, but it doesn't appear that is the case, based on the manual and another unboxing video I saw (and I don't see it in yours, either). I am guessing that with the servo controller, it might not be as simple to have user adjustability as the more basic DC motor of the old models. As long as it's accurate and stays accurate, I really don't care about that, anyway. I just want 33.3 and 45 to be what they are supposed to be.
I think not, but I don't think it matters. It is part of the things I will be looking at in depth over the next few days or week or two. Once I get the USB microscope I will be checking the details on everything I can figure out including how the speed feedback loop works. Nothing is apparent at a glance but they have given details about how it works.

Just thinking about it from an engineering perspective, it is probably closed loop since it has to be self adjusting. I have been wrong before.

Thinking about the question of what I am using, the Marantz SR7012 has a built in MM phono stage. I don't have the specs handy, but it should be easy to find. Their website has all recent user guides and specs.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-10-2019 at 03:14 PM.
post #63 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Upgrade my Dual 606 to Fluance RT85?

Looking to upgrade my Dual 606 automatic direct drive turntable with an Ortofon ULM55 Cartridge to a Fluance RT85 with the Ortofon Blue Cartridge. My question is it worth it to upgrade to the Fluance from my Dual?

I have had this turntable since they first came out in the market and never had an issue with it since day 1 (other than replacing the stylus over the years) and still continues to play faithfully. I know that the Fluance is not fully automatic like the Dual but I can live with that. My major concern is will I be able to hear a significant improvement in sound dynamics and clarity or will they be similar in sound! My current turntable runs through a Musical Fidelity V-LPS Phono Stage into a Marantz AV8003 processor out to Definitive Technology Mythos ST's.

Let me know what everyone's thoughts are in regarding this upgrade.

Mike Ratledge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Looking to upgrade my Dual 606 automatic direct drive turntable with an Ortofon ULM55 Cartridge to a Fluance RT85 with the Ortofon Blue Cartridge. My question is it worth it to upgrade to the Fluance from my Dual?
Let me know what everyone's thoughts are in regarding this upgrade.
Well, I would encourage you to look, but that is the thing about sonics: it's all about perspective and fortunately I can't get in your head and decide, that is up to you and what you hear and perceive.

Like I said - truly impressed with the first critical listening and the wife is a great judge of that as well. We're happy we put $475 in the RT-85!
rkXLV likes this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-10-2019 at 04:55 PM.
post #65 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
I will say even my RT80 sounds pretty good, and that has an inferior cartridge and neither the acrylic platter nor the isolated motor. The speed stability is unreliable, but assuming they have actually fixed that with these models, I can only imagine the RT85 sounding excellent for the price.
post #66 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Ratledge View Post
We'll
, I would encourage you to look, but that is the thing about sonics: it's all about perspective and fortunately I can't get in your head and decide, that is up to you and what you hear and perceive.

Like I said - truly impressed with the first critical listening and the wife is a great judge of that as well. We're happy we put $475 in the RT-85!

Glad to hear that you and your wife like the RT85. Sound quality is subjective to the listener and no one but me can decide if it is better or not. The overall specs on the RT85 look good. I guess I'll wait till more reviews come out before I make a decision.
post #67 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I will say even my RT80 sounds pretty good, and that has an inferior cartridge and neither the acrylic platter nor the isolated motor. The speed stability is unreliable, but assuming they have actually fixed that with these models, I can only imagine the RT85 sounding excellent for the price.

The specs on the RT85 overall look great. I think I'll just wait till some more reviews come out. Like I said my Dual 606 is still working.
rkXLV likes this.
post #68 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailblazer View Post
Glad to hear that you and your wife like the RT85. Sound quality is subjective to the listener and no one but me can decide if it is better or not. The overall specs on the RT85 look good. I guess I'll wait till more reviews come out before I make a decision.
Exactly my point. I know what I think, but I am just one voice in a sea of potential future users.

Fortunately I have 40+ years of experience listening to music, was a professional singer back in the day and have always enjoyed being on the vanguard of new electronics, so - as you noted already, let's see what a few other people think.. If they are even as close to a good ear as mine, I will be surprised if they don't mostly agree, although of course there are always a few times things just aren't 100%. If Fluance can keep up the consistency, I bet they will have a winning combination because they focused on what they knew were the weak spots.

My one voice says "home run". We'll see...
rkXLV likes this.
post #69 of 254 Old 01-10-2019, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

There won't be many more voices if they cant produce more then 15 units..."sarcasm"....lol

I'm glad my ol Kenwood 5100 is still spinning.

Orotund Desert Theater;7.7.4,14'x20'x10',100amp service, JVC RS620,120" ATscreen, Carada Masquerade Masking, OPPO203 & Panny ub820, Anthem AVM60, Simaudio Moon Titan 7&5ch ,Crown xls2500, ACInfinity Fans, L&R Polk SDA SRStl Fully built, CC 2 Polk RTA15tl in Custom Cabinets Fully build, SS-BS Inwall Triad Silver LCR, 4 Atmos Core5, Subs-miniDSP-HD2x4, 4 HSU VTF-15H-MK2, 3 MBM, 2 Rows of 3 Seatcraft Excalibur Lx Seats & more.
post #70 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 03:54 AM

True, but I suspect that there are plenty more on the way to Fluance. You don't re-engineer something like that and only order a couple dozen units to be manufactured.

Of course we may find out that there is some issue with making them, available parts, etc?

By the way I forgot to mention that with my Marantz SR7012 phono stage there is no sibilance and fidelity is perfect. As always your mileage WILL vary, each and every setup will be different and the smallest difference or change in a phono setup can make huge differences in the sonic performance.

That's the big problem with vinyl analysis and comparisons, where people try to objectify things. Everything is subjective to begin with and there will always be a slight difference. Even if you have basically identical equipment and perhaps an AV8803, it's bound to have a different phono stage, just as an example.

Who's to say those 15 weren't labeled as 82, 83, 84 or 85 depending on what setup was used for each unit? We just don't know yet. I suspect not, but there is nothing specific to the RT-85(W) edition in the serial number.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-11-2019 at 04:21 AM.
post #71 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 AM

I am guessing they underestimated the extend to which RT85 would outsell the other models. I see RT84 is also out of stock in walnut, but black finish and all the lower models appear to be available. I would guess most people interested in one of these are holding out for RT85.
post #72 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah... I think the hold up is the lack of "Blue" ...

Myself trying to hold out for a RT-85 in black..
Mike Ratledge and rkXLV like this.

post #73 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 11:02 AM

Wink

Quote:
I am guessing they underestimated the extend to which RT85 would outsell the other models. I see RT84 is also out of stock in walnut, but black finish and all the lower models appear to be available. I would guess most people interested in one of these are holding out for RT85.
Obviously, which I was going to point out. Then again, shows lack of market sense not knowing people who have the sense to buy a $350-$450 model with everything they have but the 2M Red» - > 2M Blue model upgrade has been caught not paying attention to the market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Yeah... I think the hold up is the lack of "Blue" ...

Myself trying to hold out for a RT-85 in black..
I
know that I would do the same thing. Fortunately my position was that I was ready to pounce on an RT-81 and pay $250 to move up to the Ortofon 2M Blue, and I would have been happy. Not so much when I found it about the newer models, perhaps, but sometimes life throwz curvz.

I had the RT-81 with my 5% discount code already in my cart when the new models were announced. I still had to think overnight and ended up having to wait for the second group for a couple of days.
rkXLV likes this.
post #74 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2526 Post(s)
Liked: 3808
These look really sleek and nice, and the timing couldn't be better. My wife has been after me for a couple of years to pull out my old Technics SL-B5 I bought back in 1982 for $166 so she could play her old vinyl albums. So after more prodding, yesterday I did just that. The needle is usable but I need a new one. The lift arm and cueing lever don't work. I took the bottom cover off to analyze the situation and could get the parts for a cheap price, but honestly, after 36 years I feel I deserve a new turntable. I know, vintage and all that stuff, but once I remove everything I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get it back together correctly, and I'm mechanically inclined.

One thing I notice on these models is the lack of an easy/quick speed control. I was so anal when I played albums I was constantly watching the speed of the turntable to make sure it was always perfect. How reliable and how often must you adjust the speed on these? This will be for my wife's use in her sewing room, but I know it's only a matter of time until I pick it up and take it to my entertainment room and play my old albums. The decision comes in which model to choose from. The RT82 looks to be a definite upgrade over the RT81 but it's $50 more, however, the motor upgrade looks to be very enticing. The RT80 would be all my wife would ever need, but I have thousands invested in my system, and as I said before, I deserve a new turntable. But I have to ask myself how often will I be spinning albums. As I wrap this up, I realize this has been more of a conversation with myself. Spend the extra money or not, and is it justifiable? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Mike Ratledge likes this.
post #75 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Well... the way I look at things.. especially AV gear... is that you only live once, I work hard for my money and I cant take it with me. So with that said, I'm getting older now, I'm all set for retirement "that's still a few year off...."
I buy the things I want.. I want a new tt so as soon as they're in stock I'll be placing my order.

Hopefully some of this way of thinking will work for you...

Go get yourself a new tt... like you said you've waited long enough...lol
Aliens likes this.

post #76 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 04:44 PM

Wink RT85 (walnut) unboxing video with OG camera audio - VERY RAW!

Okay, I have not been feeling well, so instead of recording new audio that sounds like a toad I just used Nero 2019 video recoder to splice the six trimmed pieces of video together and left the OG camera mic audio in for now. It is awful, but the video almost makes sense, even with the camera sounds in there - I didn't really clean it up much better than it was.

Never the less it should show the unboxing roughly in order, perhaps I should have reviewed it before I uploaded? Nah... After 45 minutes of coding it was finished and I just tossed it up there. WHEN I feel somewhat better I will record a new audio track, glue it together and do better next time when I do the setup and calibration including checking everything with the Hudson HiFi protractor and alignment tools, 500x USB microscope, use the 0.001 gram scale to verify / adjust the VTF and check behind Fluance for the VTA, SRA, azimuth, etc, etc. and run down the timing feedback loop ("up to 500 times per second") amongst others.

Here is the intermediate unboxing video with OG audio:
### As I noted, I should have reviewed it before uploading: first 2 mins 53 secs are blank and silent. Strange! ###

It is roughly 11 1/2 minutes as it is simply concatenated together. When I chop out a couple of noisy sections it will probably be 10 minutes or so.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-12-2019 at 04:48 AM. Reason: Fixed URL / link to new video
post #77 of 254 Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
These look really sleek and nice, and the timing couldn't be better. My wife has been after me for a couple of years to pull out my old Technics SL-B5 I bought back in 1982 for $166 so she could play her old vinyl
The decision comes in which model to choose from. The RT82 looks to be a definite upgrade over the RT81 but it's $50 more, however, the motor upgrade looks to be very enticing. The RT80 would be all my wife would ever need, but I have thousands invested in my system, and as I said before, I deserve a new turntable. But I have to ask myself how often will I be spinning albums. As I wrap this up, I realize this has been more of a conversation with myself. Spend the extra money or not, and is it justifiable? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Heck, go for the gold! $500 will give you everything including the best speed control (adjusted 500 / second), acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M Blue - which likely will keep you from deciding to upgrade later for $250+ but only add $50 over the RT84 which is everything but the 2M red instead of the 2M blue Ortofon cartridge. Your Denon 4400 has a good MM phono stage, but if you are so inclined you might want to consider a Schiit Mani or whatever floats your boat ($129 when it's in stock).

As I have noted here, you can't take my word for it because everything is subjective with vinyl. Your mileage will vary!

Realize that the 82, 83, 84 & 85 models all have the new speed automatic precision correction as stated, but the older 80 & 81 don't. They have a manual adjustment method requiring you to spin a screw under the plinth to change it.

All together the RT85 adds up to a gigantic bargain, especially when you consider that the red to blue cart is only $50. You should be able to find a $10 coupon on their website. If not, ask the CSR what they can tell you about current online incentives. There is almost always a code available for up to 5% off, but you have to ask.
Aliens and rkXLV like this.
post #78 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 06:28 AM

Exclamation

This morning the RT-82 & 83 models are both available either base and there is at least one RT-84 in piano black.

It appears that the 2M Blue or the Walnut plinth / base is sold out or in limited supply still - no RT-85 or 84 in walnut. If you want the 84, I would go get it. Online indicates delivery by the 21st for me, anyway. There is no way to check stock AFAIK. Maybe by phone? (1.888.61.SOUND (1.888.617.6863) is their phone number, Circus World Display LTD is the parent company, so don't be thrown by that).

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-12-2019 at 06:39 AM.
post #79 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Heck, go for the gold! $500 will give you everything including the best speed control (adjusted 500 / second), acrylic platter, Ortofon 2M Blue - which likely will keep you from deciding to upgrade later for $250+ but only add $50 over the RT84 which is everything but the 2M red instead of the 2M blue Ortofon cartridge. Your Denon 4400 has a good MM phono stage, but if you are so inclined you might want to consider a Schiit Mani or whatever floats your boat ($129 when it's in stock).

As I have noted here, you can't take my word for it because everything is subjective with vinyl. Your mileage will vary!

Realize that the 82, 83, 84 & 85 models all have the new speed automatic precision correction as stated, but the older 80 & 81 don't. They have a manual adjustment method requiring you to spin a screw under the plinth to change it.

All together the RT85 adds up to a gigantic bargain, especially when you consider that the red to blue cart is only $50. You should be able to find a $10 coupon on their website. If not, ask the CSR what they can tell you about current online incentives. There is almost always a code available for up to 5% off, but you have to ask.
Thanks, Mike. As much as I would like to buy the RT85, my wife's rinky-dink system doesn't justify it. I don't play music to the extent I did decades ago so I don't know how much use I would get out of it. For the extra $50, the RT82 seems like a no-brainer over the RT81.

Regarding the Schiit Mani. I currently have a cheap phono pre-amp that I need for my wife's setup. Granted, the SM has lots of control switches for adjusting the sound that my cheapo doesn't, but it serves its purpose. Anyway, the reason I bring up the SM is that I've also looked at the very popular Audio-Technica AT-LP120 that has a built-in phono pre-amp. Many say that mucks up the sound quality and unsolder the connections to remove it from the equation and notice the sound is much better. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and anyone else if they choose to do so, and why I would want to add it. Thanks.
rkXLV likes this.
post #80 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
These look really sleek and nice, and the timing couldn't be better. My wife has been after me for a couple of years to pull out my old Technics SL-B5 I bought back in 1982 for $166 so she could play her old vinyl albums. So after more prodding, yesterday I did just that. The needle is usable but I need a new one. The lift arm and cueing lever don't work. I took the bottom cover off to analyze the situation and could get the parts for a cheap price, but honestly, after 36 years I feel I deserve a new turntable. I know, vintage and all that stuff, but once I remove everything I'm not 100% sure I'm going to get it back together correctly, and I'm mechanically inclined.

One thing I notice on these models is the lack of an easy/quick speed control. I was so anal when I played albums I was constantly watching the speed of the turntable to make sure it was always perfect. How reliable and how often must you adjust the speed on these? This will be for my wife's use in her sewing room, but I know it's only a matter of time until I pick it up and take it to my entertainment room and play my old albums. The decision comes in which model to choose from. The RT82 looks to be a definite upgrade over the RT81 but it's $50 more, however, the motor upgrade looks to be very enticing. The RT80 would be all my wife would ever need, but I have thousands invested in my system, and as I said before, I deserve a new turntable. But I have to ask myself how often will I be spinning albums. As I wrap this up, I realize this has been more of a conversation with myself. Spend the extra money or not, and is it justifiable? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I own the RT80, and while it mostly serves me well, I wouldn't recommend it now that the better models are available, unless somebody had a hard budget of $200 for a turntable. Like you, I can't stand speed inconsistency, and it is a problem I have had to occasionally deal with on the RT80 (it's actually in for warranty service as we speak because of this... Fluance is fantastic to work with if you do have problems, though!). The servo speed regulation of the new motors promises to be the hugest upgrade from the 80/81 models, based on my experience with the RT80. To answer your question about speed adjustment, I have had to adjust with the screws underneath a few times. It is annoying to do, but I am glad it's at least an option. However, my understanding of the new models is this should never be necessary (and may not even be possible) because of the servo controller. It is supposed to check and adjust speed up to 500 times per second, so as long as they have their calibration right on for the two speeds, it should be fine in this regard.

I also think, if you are going to use an external phono stage or even a built-in on a receiver/amp, I would rather not have the built-in phono that comes on the 80/81. I actually do use it, and it sounds good enough to me for now, but I do plan to upgrade to an external phono stage at some point. You can switch it off to bypass, but not having it in the chain at all is appealing to me.

I have said before, but I really think the best deals are either the RT82 at $300 or the RT85 at $500. If you really do not care about having an acrylic platter or 2M Blue cartridge, I think the RT82 is probably fine, and is definitely worth the extra money over the older models. However, the acrylic platter and 2M Blue are well over $200 retail worth of upgrades from what comes with the RT82, were you to want to upgrade those parts eventually, anyway.
Aliens likes this.
post #81 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 473 Post(s)
Quoted: 9555 Post(s)
Liked: 16966
This is arriving tomorrow, at which point I'll unpack and set up the RT84. After the Eagles/Saints game, that is.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #82 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Mike. As much as I would like to buy the RT85, my wife's rinky-dink system doesn't justify it. I don't play music to the extent I did decades ago so I don't know how much use I would get out of it. For the extra $50, the RT82 seems like a no-brainer over the RT81.

Regarding the Schiit Mani. I currently have a cheap phono pre-amp that I need for my wife's setup. Granted, the SM has lots of control switches for adjusting the sound that my cheapo doesn't, but it serves its purpose. Anyway, the reason I bring up the SM is that I've also looked at the very popular Audio-Technica AT-LP120 that has a built-in phono pre-amp. Many say that mucks up the sound quality and unsolder the connections to remove it from the equation and notice the sound is much better. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, and anyone else if they choose to do so, and why I would want to add it. Thanks.
It sounds like the RT82 might be the one for you. The added bonus is it's actually in stock now, unlike RT85...

As for Schiit Mani, I think that is just widely considered one of the best bang-for-buck phono stages, as it supposedly performs much better than anything in the $129-ish price range. Your cheapo model may be just fine, so I would at least give that a shot and only revisit if you and your wife find something lacking with it. The Mani is more a recommendation for anyone who doesn't already have any sort of phono stage or wants to hear some improvement for less than $150.

I think the issue with the AT-LP120 built-in is that a lot of people aren't happy with how that sounds, but I assume AT is using a really bad pre-amp. The one you already have may be better than that, so as I said, I would give it a shot first and see if it sounds good enough to you. A Mani probably is an improvement over what you have, but I think it comes down to whether it's an improvement you actually find necessary.
Aliens likes this.
post #83 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 09:33 AM

Lightbulb

It does sound like the RT-82 is right down your lane. The built-in phono stages have been a nitemare for some, but I am pretty sure that the one in the 80/81 was completely defeat able, unlike the AT120 which reportedly needs to be gutted in order to eliminate the sonic sticky chocolate mess. As I recall they both use different Texas Instruments mini versions of their good phono stages, but the way Fluance designed it they were totally isolated when the switch was thrown, unlike the AT model(s), not sure about others than the 120 requirement to be neutered for audio purity sake. There are how-to videos on YouTube by at least two people who properly show how to excise the circuitry. (I am not 100% my memory is completely right about which one had a truly isolated circuit). The problem was that even when it was switched off, it was still coloring the sound.

The problem is that each person hears things somewhat differently and my perspective is not the same as yours nor anyone else's - which as I noted before is both a blessing and a curse. I might be perfectly happy with the built-in phono stage in my SR7012 and someone else think it blows. The obvious observation there is that for them it does exactly that. My obsession with certain aspects of the audio purity might be totally inane for you. Conversely you may hear things I don't, that's just human nature and everything being subjective is amplified by the way vinyl is the only input source that has a true three stage amplification. Nothing else uses the equivalent of the phono stage, and nothing else is anywhere near as sensitive to changes and even environmentals.
Aliens and rkXLV like this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-12-2019 at 09:51 AM.
post #84 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 10:04 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
This is arriving tomorrow, at which point I'll unpack and set up the RT84. After the Eagles/Saints game, that is.
I expected to be doing the same thing today, but it appears that the USB microscope is not going to be here today like my postal service "Informed Delivery" says. Maybe, but more likely to be Monday. I wanted to get better video of the details of the set-up process and measurements of the precise way each possible setting came in the box and if any truly need adjustment or not. Of course we will both find similarities and differences also because we have different although in this case they are almost identical specification wise. The OM10 setup in the RT-82 will have the most variations from our 84/85 models, and of course the 83 is a kilo lighter, as is the 82 because of the aluminum platter instead of the acrylic ones we have.

It will be interesting to compare notes, more likely differences we find as opposed to similar traits as far as setup parameters and settings. You would expect the Ortofon 2M series carts to be very uniform, but that is not necessarily true. Weight, size, etc should be identical for both but who knows if exact settings will be? We will once we have the detes for both. Hopefully we find more similar than uniqueness.
imagic likes this.
post #85 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Maybe suitable for a separate post / thread, but we have a good, dedicated vinyl group of people here!

Even though I already said that I was unlikely to be going beyond the upgrade to Hosa CRA-202DJ RCA + ground cables ($8), I keep seeing more and more people who have gone to the high end interconnects especially with their vinyl.

The two I see and read most about are the Pangea Audio 1.25 meter "Premier SE" cables and the AudioQuest 1.5 meter Wildcat set, each with interwoven ground cables. Those are $79 and $99 respectively.

I also started seeing people who are wild about silver interconnects like the Silver Serpent set from Better Cables, currently $69 for the pair of RCA cables, each 1.5 meters. I suppose at this level you might spring for the Saturn version of AudioQuest "Ground Goody" cable? ($29?)

Does anyone have specific knowledge or experience with any of these high end solutions? Comment with respect to the use of silver or silver coated cables with their vinyl setup?

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-12-2019 at 11:23 AM.
post #86 of 254 Old 01-12-2019, 02:30 PM

Thumbs up

I'm still at half past dead, but I put together the very first quick analysis of the speed - checks / tests of the 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM feedback loop "up to 500 times per second" and found that both with and without the additional 10 oz (280 gram) "Viborg" weight / clamp I use the speed is absolutely rock solid at a variance under 0.03% (0.0003) variance max, mostly closer to 0.01% = 0.0001 total.

It's a quick 12-to-15 secs each at 33 1/3 RPM and 45 RPM without the added weight and with the 280 grams sitting on top of the platter. I used one of the Android apps on my Pixel XL running "Pie" (OS 9.0.1). The tests show absolutely NO variation whatsoever for 45 RPM both with and without the extra weight, and at 33 1/3 RPM the speed (actually should be stated as decimal 33.3333_) moves occasionally between 33.3 displayed and 33.4 which again only requires about 0.02% (0.0002 total) speed variation "up" and never slows down whatsoever at either speed.

Total length on this one is under 1 minute and I just added an audio track from the Nero video app (royalty free), so it's likely silent because I didn't hook up the external lavalier mic or speak while I was taking those four quick clips.

Here you go:
rkXLV likes this.

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #87 of 254 Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Maybe suitable for a separate post / thread, but we have a good, dedicated vinyl group of people here!

Even though I already said that I was unlikely to be going beyond the upgrade to Hosa CRA-202DJ RCA + ground cables ($8), I keep seeing more and more people who have gone to the high end interconnects especially with their vinyl.

The two I see and read most about are the Pangea Audio 1.25 meter "Premier SE" cables and the AudioQuest 1.5 meter Wildcat set, each with interwoven ground cables. Those are $79 and $99 respectively.

I also started seeing people who are wild about silver interconnects like the Silver Serpent set from Better Cables, currently $69 for the pair of RCA cables, each 1.5 meters. I suppose at this level you might spring for the Saturn version of AudioQuest "Ground Goody" cable? ($29?)

Does anyone have specific knowledge or experience with any of these high end solutions? Comment with respect to the use of silver or silver coated cables with their vinyl setup?
Save your money and buy the Hosa or something comparable. The worse fights on this forum are between people who swear by expensive cables and speaker wire, and those who don't. Those who don't outnumber those who do. Do a Google search on the subject. If there is a difference, at our age we won't be able to hear it. I'll leave it at that.
post #88 of 254 Old 01-13-2019, 04:25 AM

I ordered the RT82 yesterday. I hope to have it by next weekend. I told my wife I was going to set it up on my system first because if there is a problem I don't want to ruin hers. And to make sure it works properly, it may take a few days before I hand it over.
post #89 of 254 Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 AM

Talking Covering all of the bases - add an RT-82 owner to our mix

Quote:
Save your money and buy the Hosa or something comparable. The worse fights on this forum are between people who swear by expensive cables and speaker wire, and those who don't. Those who don't outnumber those who do. Do a Google search on the subject. If there is a difference, at our age we won't be able to hear it. I'll leave it at that.
I know that is right! I am 64 and know that I miss something in the way of the top end I used to be able to hear. Low bass extensions? All I want!

I already have their CRA-202DJ which is the 2 meter version with right angle connex on one side. Maybe invest in a CRA-201? ALL of $6. I do have 10AWG OFC speaker wire but I can buy that for under 20¢ per foot. It is well worth that price and both my "folded motion" and horn loaded tweaters thank me when I crank them "up to 11".

Quote:
I ordered the RT82 yesterday. I hope to have it by next weekend. I told my wife I was going to set it up on my system first because if there is a problem I don't want to ruin hers. And to make sure it works properly, it may take a few days before I hand it over.
That's perfect! We will have everything except for the RT-83 model and frankly it is an 84 without the acrylic platter. We for sure have all of the native cartridges amongst the three of us. Heck, I might be convinced to try a Nagaoka MP-150 or more likely MP-200 to check out the properties of the orchestral works and jazz / blues albums that I so much love... Not right now, but soon enough.

I am so happy with the RT-85 and its 2M blue that I want to try it out in as many divergent scenarios as possible. I expect great results from the cart since I have experienced the 2M bronze & black and neither impressed me for their price point. Going to a MC cart is a whole "nother animal", for sure. Maybe? I have always subscribed to the theory that I should have invested in $1000 worth of TT if I wanted to try carts up in that range. YMMV as with everything else.

I look at the RT-85 value proposition as around $350 worth of TT plus the cartridge, and the Ortofon 2M Blue by itself would easily have been $250. The best prices I can find are the thacker.eu online pricing and it is usually close to $300 here in the states listed on eBay or similar. They have it listed for 320€ but that includes 19% VAT you don't pay if you check out with a USA or Canada delivery address. Their website is down this morning so I can't check that to verify current pricing, but their "williamthakker_com" eBay handle is active. Odd, I know that I looked at the site ten days ago, no more than two weeks?

Last edited by Mike Ratledge; 01-13-2019 at 12:16 PM.
post #90 of 254 Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:

I just can't imagine $29 for a ground wire pays off. Even if upgrading the RCA cables, I would probably still use the grounds Fluance supplied.

On the interconnects themselves, my only real experience is going from Fluance's included cables to SVS Soundpath, which I think were just under $50 for a 1 meter pair (they are individual cables, as SVS sells the same RCA cable for both subwoofer cable and interconnects). That was a noticeable improvement. I don't know how much, if any, difference those would give over your HOSA cables, though. I also don't know if spending even more gets even more noticeable improvement, but, as Aliens said, there is quite a bit of argument on this for your reading enjoyment on this forum, if you really want to dig in. It's actually pretty amazing how vitriolic those get...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page