• 2 Post By Knucklehead90
  • 2 Post By emcdade

post #1 of 11 Old 12-29-2018, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Starting from Scratch

I haven't had a working stereo system for quite some time, but I'd like to get one, largely to listen to my vinyl. I wound up taking my old Philips 877 Direct Control turntable to a local repair shop, but they want over $250 to repair it, and I'm pretty sure I'd be much better just buying another turntable (not sure if I'd go new or vintage).

The system would be in the basement and would not be integrated with the TV upstairs, so I'm not looking to create a home theater setup.

I also have an old Philips receiver, but it would need some repair work, too.

My budget is to be as close to $1,000 as possible. Is that realistic? I don't need super-sophisticated audiophile gear, but I still want good sound. Here are my questions:

Which is best (also keeping in mind my budget): a turntable with pre-amp, a receiver with pre-amp, or a stand-alone pre-amp?

Is direct drive or a belt-driven turntable better?

I also plan to digitize some of my vinyl and cassettes. What are good ways of accomplishing this? (I already have a cassette deck.)

I would also like to use this system to stream music from the Internet and my PC. Should I get this capability in the receiver, or is it better to get another component for that. Which is more common for this: Bluetooth or WiFi?

I'm sure I'll have other questions! I look forward to all your feedback.

I'm open to new, vintage, or a mix of the two. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
First off do you have speakers?

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
post #3 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 144
TT: https://www.amazon.com/Fluance-RT81-...urntable&psc=1

Amp: https://www.parts-express.com/dayton...mote--300-3832 or for easy ordering https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-...n+Audio+WF150A

I would spend the rest on a subwoofer if you don't already have one, and/or upgrade the TT cartridge. My 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM
The Village Idiot

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked: 719
Spend the least amount you can on a receiver or integrated amp, or even an AVR. Spend the rest on the best speakers you can locate. If you are in or near a large urban area look on you local Craig's List. You might be surprised to find so many great 5-10+ year old speakers that are avaiable.
vzphoneman and Pacodutaco like this.

Yamaha A-S1000 Int. Amp - Salk SongTowers - Oppo 103 - Marantz TT42 - Emo XDA-2 DAC
Multi-Channel: Yamaha RX-A2070 - Custom One-Off Selah Audio Center - Emo ERD-1 Surrounds
Twas a woman who drove me to drink. I never had the decency to write and thank her ~ WC Fields
post #5 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 12:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The Fluance RT81 somebody above suggested is the same $250 you would spend to get your Philips repaired, but for another $50, you can get the new RT82 that appears to be a substantially better turntable than the RT81, which is one of their older models (I say this as a RT80 owner who wishes it was one of the new models).

That does leave you without a built-in pre-amp, though. So you're either going to need a cheap external or make sure your amp has one built in. The rest of what I think can be accomplished really depends on your speaker situation, whether we are including them in the $1000 budget or putting that all just into turntable and amp.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
So you're either going to need a cheap external or make sure your amp has one built in.
The Dayton amp has a built in phono preamp, so should be good to go there (quality unknown though). The RT85 with the 2M Blue seems like a good deal, seeing as how the cartridge alone is ~$250.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by legierk View Post
The Dayton amp has a built in phono preamp, so should be good to go there (quality unknown though). The RT85 with the 2M Blue seems like a good deal, seeing as how the cartridge alone is ~$250.
Does the Dayton have a phono preamp, or just a line-level input labeled "Phono"?

I agree the RT85 is the best deal Fluance has in a turntable at $500, given the cartridge value (compared with the RT84, they are basically giving you a 2M Blue for $50 more than you are paying to get a 2M Red!), but that's half of a $1000 budget. If we only need to get turntable and amp in for the budget, then I would probably bump the turntable up to RT85 (or $400 for a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon... I am undecided as to which of those options is better, may depend on personal preference between the features the two offer). I can tell you if I were to buy another Fluance turntable, I would most likely be going with RT85.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkXLV View Post
Does the Dayton have a phono preamp, or just a line-level input labeled "Phono"?
Good question....the website and manual are not clear on this. Well, it is "labeled" phono, and the others are Input 1 and 2, so not sure what their marketing strategy is if it does not have a phono preamp. Hmmm. Good catch.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-30-2018, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 410
Look at some of Steve Guttenberg's recommendations over at CNET, he spends a lot of time on total systems under the $1k mark.

I believe some of his go-to's are the Elac Debut speakers, and the NAD class AB integrated amps. Turntable maybe one of the Rega's that fit in your budget.
vzphoneman and rkXLV like this.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-02-2019, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
First off do you have speakers?
Thanks to all for the all the feedback. I do not have speakers, and they are to be included in my $1,000 budget. And I am open to pre-owned.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-03-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 171
This could work ... but I have to say I have never heard any of these. Just going by your budget and needs.

Yamaha R-N301 - $170
KEF Q5000 - $640
Teac TN-300SEE - $230

all at - https://www.accessories4less.com

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 01-03-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page