Can someone recommend a preamp for DAC to analogue? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone recommend a preamp for DAC to analogue?

I have a Neoteck DAC toslink to RCA converter which I want to use to connect my LG TV to the aux or tape input of my old analogue receiver. The converter works well and the sound is good but it's coming in at a very low volume so I'm thinking that I need a preamp - a very simple one with 2 RCA inputs and 2 outputs - the most basic and smallest unit possible. Or should the preamp be at the toslink end? Can someone please recommend one? Can I use a phono preamp for this purpose?

Thanks
Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I don't know that you want to over drive the tape input with a preamp, the receiver should have preamp function, what model is it?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 528
One thing to check first....LG should have a Audio Menu where you can select either [default] Dolby Digital Surround (aka "Bitstream") Output on the Optical Interface....or PCM (aka LPCM Stereo)....the latter is what YOU need [cuz Neotek DAC only works correctly with STEREO Optical Input]. For MOST TV programs, MOST of the energy would be carried by the DD5.1 Center Channel and the L/R Channels would be at greatly diminished levels....which wuld explain what you are hearing since Neotek DAC does NOT perform the requisite Surround-to-Stereo "Downmixing" function like some other DACs (those with a DD5.1/Stereo SWITCH).
https://www.amazon.com/Neoteck-Digit.../dp/B01HRJ9P84

IF THAT doesn't fix your problem, then I would suggest that you try a DIFFERENT Optical-to-RCA-Analog Converter, cuz the voltage level of the RCA-Analog interface has been standardized for many, many decades and should NOT require any sort of "Preamplifier"....so I would suspect you either have a bad Converter....or something else is not right in your system.

Last edited by holl_ands; 01-15-2019 at 05:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Carver Magnetic Field Power Amplifier. There's one on YouTube
It has a Video/DAD input that I currently use for a CD player and an Aux input. The converter I bought is here. It's the second one I've bought - the first created a lot of buzz. It actually works OK and would be acceptable if I turn the volume up very high but I don't want to do that in case someone forgets to turn it down when they put on a CD or use the radio.

Last edited by Charles_I; 01-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

If it has volume control then it has preamp function and you wouldnt want to amplify the signal going into the carver. Did you try the aux input or just tape? is there volume control on the tv as well? As holl ands stated you may want to make sure the tv ayfio setting s are correct, it should automatically output stereo pcm though.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

You know what you probably can add a preamp, the manual says high level signals for aux and tape inputs, the other neoteck dac has volume control or something like this http://www.schiit.com/products/sys
post #7 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

No volume control on the Neoteck DAC. The LG TV is model 42LE5400 - no audio menu settings to do with Dolby or PCM only EQ type presets like Sports and Cinema.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
dac , preamp , toslink

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version