Axpona 2019 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 222 Old 01-23-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Axpona 2019

Axpona 2019 is coming up.

It's getting toward that time of the year again. Remember that it's at the Schaumberg Convention Center, which is the new site as of last year

It's April 12-14th

http://www.axpona.com/

Hotels are filling up. I have reservation at the Springhill Suites right across the I-90 from the convention center and host hotel. I'll be there the entire time.

Also, for those driving to the show, parking was a muther last year so you might want to choose a hotel that has a shuttle. I should be close enough that I can easily walk across the I-90 bridge and lease the car at the hotel (weather Permitting).

I don't know what the plans are yet for the show review, whether we'll be doing a 'live blog' such as last year or @imagic will be doing it himself. Since I generally do something, I'm going to reserve the next few post spaces for use at that time.

Anyway, who is coming?
natchie, Knucklehead90 and JA Fant like this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 222 Old 01-28-2019, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I will be there. Forgot to buy the early bird tickets yesterday, but looking forward to the show regardless. It will be my second time and now that I know a lot more brands and faces, it'll be even more enjoyable.

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
6TCycleHum is offline  
post #3 of 222 Old 01-28-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TCycleHum View Post
I will be there. Forgot to buy the early bird tickets yesterday, but looking forward to the show regardless. It will be my second time and now that I know a lot more brands and faces, it'll be even more enjoyable.

You just reminded me. I also forgot. Still going because they already charged me for the hotel.

And 2nd year for the new location so hopefully more folks have better luck with the sound this year.
Scotth3886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 222 Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Out-Of-Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I can't go, but I am curious. I've never been to a large 'audiophile' show before.

I'd mainly be auditioning speakers of all sizes, shapes, design and prices.

Save your money.
Out-Of-Phase is offline  
post #5 of 222 Old 01-28-2019, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Chicago
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
I can't go, but I am curious. I've never been to a large 'audiophile' show before.

I'd mainly be auditioning speakers of all sizes, shapes, design and prices.

The "main" floor has vendor booths and some companies even rent out additional suites to demo all of their equipment. I remember Emotiva had their own suite off to the side last year, as did a few local retailers. The hotel rooms have systems set up and become pretty crowded, as they're just rows of chairs in a small room. Depending on the system and how well the vendors/company set it up, things have the potential to sound far less than ideal.

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
6TCycleHum is offline  
post #6 of 222 Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
I can't go, but I am curious. I've never been to a large 'audiophile' show before.

I'd mainly be auditioning speakers of all sizes, shapes, design and prices.
We did sort of a 'live blog' format last year reporting from the show for AVS because Mark Henninger, editor, couldn't go so three of us did the show report. So I spent all three days there and was in every room IIRC.

Last year was a new venue and many folks were struggling with the rooms a bit, but I expect it all to sound better this year.

I've gone to shows forever with the first being the last year or two when the Summer CES was still in NYC so 1968 or 69 then 1970 (again IIRC) was move to McCormick Place in Chicago. For years we had a summer show and then later a Winter CES in Vegas and I think this year was the last for high-end audio at the CES. AXPONA in the US and Munich in Europe are the BFDs going forward.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #7 of 222 Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
g_bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: cleveland, oh
Posts: 3,802
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 222
I went 4 years ago. It was quite an experience having access to so many companies products in one location but the overcrowded, poor sounding hotel rooms did nothing to give you a true sense of how something sounded.

g_bartman is offline  
post #8 of 222 Old 01-29-2019, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman View Post
I went 4 years ago. It was quite an experience having access to so many companies products in one location but the overcrowded, poor sounding hotel rooms did nothing to give you a true sense of how something sounded.

Overcrowding is why I go up on Friday. I was the only one in many rooms. The show was moved to a new much larger facility last year, but poor sound again. Since most of the non-suite rooms are the same, equally poor sound for all exhibitors.

Hopefully, this year, the second year at this hotel, they start getting a handle on the rooms
Garman likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #9 of 222 Old 01-29-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Roper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 4,559
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 433
No Harman brands...

HDR Colorist and Conversions
INTO THE CAVE OF WONDERS
Directed by MANUEL BENITO DE VALLE Produced by PEDRO PABLO FIGUEROA
Cast MANUEL ANGEL REINA, CLAUDIA GARROTE
LOVETHEFRAME STORIES, SOUNDTRACKS AND FILMS
Tom Roper is offline  
post #10 of 222 Old 01-29-2019, 07:34 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Overcrowding is why I go up on Friday. I was the only one in many rooms. The show was moved to a new much larger facility last year, but poor sound again. Since most of the non-suite rooms are the same, equally poor sound for all exhibitors.

Hopefully, this year, the second year at this hotel, they start getting a handle on the rooms
Some did better than others but a hotel room is generally going to be a terrible listening space. Even Magico with the A3's had a hard time getting them to sound good. A few did OK, I can't remember the company but it was Czech based and they did a nice job.

Last year was meh first trip to Axpona and I was there only on Sunday. It was still pretty crowded. For me, it's an opportunity to see audio equipment I have only read about like VAC, Zesto, Carver and a few others.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
MSchott is offline  
post #11 of 222 Old 01-29-2019, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Some did better than others but a hotel room is generally going to be a terrible listening space. Even Magico with the A3's had a hard time getting them to sound good. A few did OK, I can't remember the company but it was Czech based and they did a nice job.

Last year was meh first trip to Axpona and I was there only on Sunday. It was still pretty crowded. For me, it's an opportunity to see audio equipment I have only read about like VAC, Zesto, Carver and a few others.
I wasn't at all impressed with those either. The MLs really stunk in 2 of their 3 rooms

"it's an opportunity to see audio equipment I have only read about"

It's great for that as there sure aren't many dealers around that have this stuff for demo. Plus sorta family reunion for old friends in the business that I only see once a year.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 01-29-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #12 of 222 Old 01-30-2019, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
I can't go, but I am curious. I've never been to a large 'audiophile' show before.

I'd mainly be auditioning speakers of all sizes, shapes, design and prices.
It's a great experience, I highly recommend it. I went last year and loved it. This year I'm going to the first-ever Florida Audio Expo (a little over a week away) so I'm not sure if I'm going to do the Axpona thing this year or not.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
TuteTibiImperes is offline  
post #13 of 222 Old 01-30-2019, 07:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Out-Of-Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
It's a great experience, I highly recommend it. I went last year and loved it. This year I'm going to the first-ever Florida Audio Expo (a little over a week away) so I'm not sure if I'm going to do the Axpona thing this year or not.
Were there any particular speakers that you liked?

And that includes all designs large and small, low price, high price, bookshelf, panels, towers, electrostats.

Save your money.
Out-Of-Phase is offline  
post #14 of 222 Old 01-30-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
Were there any particular speakers that you liked?

And that includes all designs large and small, low price, high price, bookshelf, panels, towers, electrostats.
There was a ton I liked. The Salk Song3As, Revel F228Be/M126Be, Legacy Aeris and Valor, Hsu CCB-8s, Eikon Audio towers, and the big MBLs really stand out in my mind though. Myself and some other forum members (Scott included) did a liveblog on the show last year, and Mark organized it all, here's a link to the first part if you'd like to see some of the stuff.

HT: Sony 940C, Oppo 203, Harman/Kardon DPR1001, Infinity Interlude IL40 x2, Infinity Interlude IL36C, Infinity MS-1 ii x2, Infinity MSW-1
Computer: Elac Uni-Fi UB5 x2, Elac Element EA101EQ integrated amp, SVS SB-12NSD
Dedicated 2-channel: Infinity Intermezzo 4.1t towers, Bluesound Node 2, Emotiva PT-100, Crown XLS 1502, Furman PL-8C
TuteTibiImperes is offline  
post #15 of 222 Old 01-31-2019, 07:31 AM
Senior Member
 
Out-Of-Phase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 495
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuteTibiImperes View Post
There was a ton I liked. The Salk Song3As, Revel F228Be/M126Be, Legacy Aeris and Valor, Hsu CCB-8s, Eikon Audio towers, and the big MBLs really stand out in my mind though. Myself and some other forum members (Scott included) did a liveblog on the show last year, and Mark organized it all, here's a link to the first part if you'd like to see some of the stuff.
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to audition some of those speakers.

Save your money.
Out-Of-Phase is offline  
post #16 of 222 Old 01-31-2019, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-Of-Phase View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'd like to audition some of those speakers.

http://www.axpona.com/

I don't know where you are, but there's generally great deals for flights in and out of Chicago when reserved this early. However, HOtel rooms generally start filling up now.

We'll also likely do some kind of get together with other AVSers on one of the evenings, likely Friday night.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #17 of 222 Old 01-31-2019, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 119
The show is well worth it, there's a large room to buy acc's at discount and while the small rooms tended to make big speakers sound like crap the big rooms were impressive. I live a 1/2 hour away in normal traffic and will absolutely spend at least 1 day there.
Scotth3886 likes this.

Meridian dsp8000se upgrade, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's, Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,
steven59 is offline  
post #18 of 222 Old 02-13-2019, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
The show is well worth it, there's a large room to buy acc's at discount and while the small rooms tended to make big speakers sound like crap the big rooms were impressive. I live a 1/2 hour away in normal traffic and will absolutely spend at least 1 day there.

As long as I'm able to see and drive, I'll never miss it. Just too much fun.
steven59 likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #19 of 222 Old 03-19-2019, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Remember everyone to order your show tickets in advance as it's way more expensive at the door. $50 in advance or $90 at the door.

http://www.axpona.com/register.asp
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #20 of 222 Old 03-19-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold
 
sdrucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 4,458
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
I'm sadly going to miss the show this year, since my biannual work-related conference I go to is happening that weekend, and it's out of the country. See you guys in 2020...

Audio Gear: Trinnov Altitude 32 (24 channel), NAD M27 amps (3)
Video: JVC RS600, Seymour 100" UF Screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4444 (coming soon)
Speakers: PSB Imagine T3 LCR, Imagine T Wides/Side Surround 1, T2 Side Surrounds, Imagine XB rears, Image B6 screens, PSB CS1000 ceilings (6), HSU ULS-15 Mk 2 subs (4) - 13.4.6
HAA HT1 and HT2 Certification
sdrucker is offline  
post #21 of 222 Old 03-22-2019, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Show thread had been up here since January

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...na-2019-a.html

Mark will likely combine threads into a common thread linked with the home page for AVS
imagic likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #22 of 222 Old 03-22-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
We did a meetup with about seven or eight folks at a pizza restaurant, named Moretti's, that's toward the east side of the parking lot last year. This was on Friday night.
sdrucker likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #23 of 222 Old 03-22-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
@imagic , There's another 2019 Axpona thread in the HT section of AVS.

I have zero interest in any of those brands on that side of the business and likely won't be reporting on them.

Should we have an high-end audio report and a HT report as two threads or combine?
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #24 of 222 Old 03-22-2019, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
@imagic I think what might be best is keep the pre-show chatter in these two threads. However, on show day, Mark, open a new article on the homepage with one thread being HT related and the other audio and everyone post their show report comments on whichever thread they think is most appropriate as there is a little bit of crossover. What do you think?

The above is posted in both threads
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #25 of 222 Old 03-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
Superman07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Virginia
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
@imagic I think what might be best is keep the pre-show chatter in these two threads. However, on show day, Mark, open a new article on the homepage with one thread being HT related and the other audio and everyone post their show report comments on whichever thread they think is most appropriate as there is a little bit of crossover. What do you think?



The above is posted in both threads


I tho k you’d get more traction with one thread. Besides, maybe bridge some areas of the forums! =)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Superman07 is offline  
post #26 of 222 Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 PM
Senior Member
 
Cutler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 303
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I will be there, this year will mainly be spending time listening to Music servers and power conditioning....
Cutler is offline  
post #27 of 222 Old 03-27-2019, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Are we going to do a GTG ? Maybe at Moretti's or something else close?
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #28 of 222 Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Btw, I was tipped off to a Magneplanar 30.7 demo AXPONA afterparty, but this event is at their Evanston store a few blocks from the lake. So it's a 20 mile+/- across Chicago during rush hour from Axpona.

The 30.7 aren't going to be at the show because Wendell couldn't get a large enough room.

As much as I'd like to hear the 30.7s, I'll think I'll take a pass on that drive.

For anyone who is willing to make that drive.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/ma...sultants.4065/

There is a sign up page on FB that I'll post as soon as I can find it

Found it

https://d.facebook.com/events/210370...id=17&__tn__=H
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #29 of 222 Old 03-31-2019, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,651
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #30 of 222 Old 03-31-2019, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 652
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
Btw, I was tipped off to a Magneplanar 30.7 demo AXPONA afterparty, but this event is at their Evanston store a few blocks from the lake. So it's a 20 mile+/- across Chicago during rush hour from Axpona.

The 30.7 aren't going to be at the show because Wendell couldn't get a large enough room.

As much as I'd like to hear the 30.7s, I'll think I'll take a pass on that drive.

For anyone who is willing to make that drive.

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/ma...sultants.4065/

There is a sign up page on FB that I'll post as soon as I can find it

Found it

https://d.facebook.com/events/210370...id=17&__tn__=H
Magnepan couldn’t get one of the larger main floor rooms? Too bad, I’d love to hear the 30.7’s. I’ll be there Saturday with a few friends.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
MSchott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off