Let's get shallow -- post what you think is the coolest looking amp/receiver ever - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 522Likes

post #241 of 251 Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
When I was a teenager in the 1980s, we used to dub all the time. Sometimes to make copies, but mostly to make mix tapes.
Same thing here. Made so many mix tapes (cassette to cassette) back in the early 90's when all we had in our cars were cassette decks. Even made straight copies of cassettes themselves because why buy new when a friend already had said tape? The quality was pretty crap, but in the car we didn't care. I suppose that's how XM/Sirius justifies their horribly lossy streams.

Once I got a home CD player then it was CD to tape. I also had more money by that point and it was CD to Metal tape. I still pull out some of those metal cassette copies from time to time and I must say...they still sound pretty damn good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 251 Old 11-08-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I made mix tapes, back then, but every single one was recorded directly from LP tracks exclusively, never other cassettes, until CD showed up and then it was a combination of both LP and CD cuts.
If you are only making one mix tape for yourself, you definitely only need a single deck. If you are making multiple copies of that mix tape for friends, then a dual deck would be handy because doing that track-by-track is too tedious to do multiple times for multiple tapes (at least for me). If I needed to do that, I probably would have bought another single deck to dub from rather than getting a dual deck (my recollection was that quality was pretty poor for most dual decks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I literally never bought a single per-recorded cassette; everything I had was roll-your-own. [largely dbx encoded metal type IV tapes]
I never bought pre-recorded tapes either. Whatever I recorded myself on UDXL-II's sounded much better than the pre-recorded version of the same album. Doing inappropriate things with Dolby, like recording with Dolby on and then playing it with Dolby off, could sometimes make the tapes sound "better" than the album because the treble was more sparkly. Inappropriately sparkly of course, but I sometimes left Dolby off in playback back in the day, particularly in the car.
post #243 of 251 Old 11-13-2019, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Sansui AU-999: (apparently one of their first transistor amps after the tube era):

This makes me wonder if Sansui or McIntosh had that knob style first. They look very similar.

SOTA Nova (III)/Jelco TS-550S/Grado Sonata V2/Parasound JC 3 Jr and Zpre3/Parasound A23+/TEAC A-2520/Philharmonic BMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 251 Old 11-14-2019, 03:14 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
My very first receiver. My father bought it new in Pittsburgh prior to my birth. I received it as a gift at 9 years of age. I used it until I turned 18 and bought a newer Onkyo 100 watt stereo Receiver (which had to be better because it was newer, RIGHT?!?!?! ). I gave this Sony STR-7065 to my best friend at the time. He's still got it, though we haven't spoken in nearly two decades.

It was a real sweetheart. Mine looked exactly like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sony str-7065.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2641230  
m. zillch and fatuglyguy like this.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #245 of 251 Old 11-14-2019, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
My very first receiver. My father bought it new in Pittsburgh prior to my birth. I received it as a gift at 9 years of age. I used it until I turned 18 and bought a newer Onkyo 100 watt stereo Receiver (which had to be better because it was newer, RIGHT?!?!?! ). I gave this Sony STR-7065 to my best friend at the time. He's still got it, though we haven't spoken in nearly two decades.

It was a real sweetheart.
Lucky duck. See Post 100.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #246 of 251 Old 11-14-2019, 04:39 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked: 1057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
Lucky duck. See Post 100.

Well, I can assure you that this hero was worth meeting. I've been fortunate enough to be able to fondle some breathtakingly expensive equipment in my life, and none have surpassed the feel of the controls on the STR-7065.

The weight and damping of the volume knob, the damped ker-chunk of each of those massive switches. The tuning knob was heavily weighted and would actually freewheel if you spun it with your fingers.... traversing the FM band before stopping. The VU meters. And ti actually sounded really decent.

I remember even as a child learning what confirmation bias meant and felt like. I dropped coin on the Onkyo (their most powerful 100 watt RMS stereo receiver) and felt the need to reinforce my biased thought that it sounded better. Except the Sony did. Even in my youth, I remember how etched and fatiguing the Onkyo came across. Getting really stiff headaches even as a young man over FAR shorter periods of time (30 minutes and I'm in pain, versus HOURS).

So I royally screwed up and gave it away as some effort to gain closure. I was feeling deep regret in less than a week. I should have called my buddy and offered to trade, but I was too prideful to do that.

But, please understand that the Sony STR-7065 was excellent. I've had a chance to hear a few since then (but they weren't for sale). Easily on-par with a Hafler DH-220 in good condition, with much less power of course. Cest la vie.

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #247 of 251 Old 11-15-2019, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I grew up with this receiver, anyone recognize what it is, I can’t remember and haven’t been able to find it searching online?

Dad had dual reel to reel players, dual turntables, in the 80’s I mostly listened to cassette tapes and radio on that system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #248 of 251 Old 11-15-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5550 Post(s)
Liked: 3986
^ Looks like a Sansui to me.

Rodrigues_Brazil likes this.
post #249 of 251 Old 11-15-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
I grew up with this receiver, anyone recognize what it is, I can’t remember and haven’t been able to find it searching online?
It is a Sherwood receiver. It will take a bit of research to find the model number.

Edit: It looks like a Sherwood S-7200.
gbus likes this.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000 II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.

Last edited by Alex F.; 11-15-2019 at 03:01 PM.
post #250 of 251 Old 11-15-2019, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks, that’s the one and coincidentally I have a newer Sherwood RV-6030R I set up for my mother to use when the mood strikes.

post #251 of 251 Old 11-15-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
Thanks, that’s the one and coincidentally I have a newer Sherwood RV-6030R I set up for my mother to use when the mood strikes.

You are welcome. A further coincidence is that I, too, have a Sherwood RV-6030R, which is sitting unused in my garage. I purchased it new in the mid-1990s. It was a nice AV receiver. I bought it from the now-defunct J&R Music in Manhattan for (if I recall correctly) $279.
gbus likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page