Best and Worst music you've heard at an audio show - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Andy Linkner
  • 1 Post By dunejunkee
  • 1 Post By Scotth3886
  • 1 Post By CDLehner
  • 1 Post By tenthplanet
  • 1 Post By Scotth3886
  • 2 Post By MSchott
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-08-2019, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
Best and Worst music you've heard at an audio show

Ever been at an audio show, or at a dealer for that matter and heard of piece of music that really got your attention for good or bad . Maybe you even bought a copy of it afterwards, or wished you could burn every copy that existed. What was it ?

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 PM
Member
 
Andy Linkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: western USA
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
Ever been at an audio show, or at a dealer for that matter and heard of piece of music that really got your attention for good or bad . Maybe you even bought a copy of it afterwards, or wished you could burn every copy that existed. What was it ?

I'm always struck by how boringly predictable is the music dealers use to show off their gear. It makes me suspect all over again that audiophiles are more about the gear than the music. Diana Krall and Nora Jones, et. al., are not even that good at displaying much that a system can do, if you ask me.

PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's (w/ Brickwall Series Mode Line Conditioner)
Andy Linkner is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Linkner View Post
I'm always struck by how boringly predictable is the music dealers use to show off their gear. It makes me suspect all over again that audiophiles are more about the gear than the music. Diana Krall and Nora Jones, et. al., are not even that good at displaying much that a system can do, if you ask me.
Some good dealers will ask if you brought any music with you, if you audition with classical music you have to bring you're own or submit to lite jazz. Real audiophiles have always had the music vs. gear head split even before the internet. There used to be a running joke about the guy with a lot of money sunk into equipment who only owned ten records that he could stand listen to. Don't be that guy.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Blacklightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton,AB Canada
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1000 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Back in the day I was always turned off of Bose HT demo rooms. I was impressed with the volume that the cubes could do but the sound just did not sound the same for the few really movie clips they did show. And the bass seemed to be the same frequency when ever it was super loud. The only thing I would think was that the sub must be really loud at that frequency so that is why they use that note all the time. I also hated the fact that I could not play any of the DVD/CD's that I bought with me.
Blacklightning is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Member
 
dunejunkee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
At RMAF this year when I went into the Gyphoon room they had Wildfire by Mandolin Orange playing. I put it on spotify at that time. Its one of those songs that brings your system to life.
tenthplanet likes this.

Basement system: Yamaha 2060, Cambridge Azur 851W, Sony HAP-A1ES, Rega RP-1, B&W CM10S2, B&W CM Centre S2, Cambridge Minx XL,2 JL Audio e112
Upstairs: Yamaha R-N803, B&W 606 Continuum, 1 JL Audio D108
dunejunkee is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 10:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,836
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 4067
I've never attended an audio show, but would like to. I enjoy reading about them, and appreciate the pics people furnish at this site.

Show recommendations welcomed. Not interested in listening in someone's hotel room, or a warehouse.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,971
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
I try real hard to bring material no one has ever heard of before as I will again this year.
tenthplanet likes this.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 03-12-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 3146
I've always avoided audio shows, like the plague; for the reasons, listed above. "Pretentious", "predictable", etc.

I went to my local show, Capital Audio Fest...as the first, and only one; a few years back. It's not AXPONA or RMAF; but I guess it's not Joe's Audio Show either.

Best music: mine, lol Seriously; obviously, it's what I wanted to hear...and, tracks I picked, that are recorded well and show-off certain aspects of a system. But also...they're good music; and, outside the audiophile box (as I am an outside-the-box audiophile). Every room I went in...where they let me play my flash drive; people perked-up, smiled...started foot-tapping, and head-bobbing. One room...the guy just handed me, the iPad

"Worst" demo: I waited 30 minutes, for the Zu guys to get their sh*t together. I was super-excited, because they were showing the Soul Supreme, fresh off the stellar review in Stereophile. At that point...super-high efficiency speakers, were a mystery; and therefore, scared the hell out of me. So I wanted to hear for myself. On top of that...they were using my amp (at the time); a Pass XA-30.8, to drive them.

After the wait...they used the 'ole pottery-wheel, to play a musty-old copy of The Firebird. Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely, and challenging piece of music. A favorite. But it takes a while to simmer, and get cooking. I just didn't think, it was the way to kick-off your demo-day; especially when a) people had been waiting, while you hook sh*t up...and b) you're supposed to be the "antithesis", of the stodgy, old audiophile community.

We sat for 5 minutes, to see if they were really going to let the whole side play out (I think it was meant, to appease the crowd...with some "background" music; while they continued, to set-up ); looked at each other, and left. Might have cost Zu, $5k...because I never had the chance, to be wowed by the pair.
postrokfan likes this.

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > Musical Fidelity M2si IA > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA

Last edited by CDLehner; 03-12-2019 at 11:59 AM.
CDLehner is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
I've always avoided audio shows, like the plague; for the reasons, listed above. "Pretentious", "predictable", etc.

I went to my local show, Capital Audio Fest...as the first, and only one; a few years back. It's not AXPONA or RMAF; but I guess it's not Joe's Audio Show either.

Best music: mine, lol Seriously; obviously, it's what I wanted to hear...and, tracks I picked, that are recorded well and show-off certain aspects of a system. But also...they're good music; and, outside the audiophile box (as I am an outside-the-box audiophile). Every room I went in...where they let me play my flash drive; people perked-up, smiled...started foot-tapping, and head-bobbing. One room...the guy just handed me, the iPad

"Worst" demo: I waited 30 minutes, for the Zu guys to get their sh*t together. I was super-excited, because they were showing the Soul Supreme, fresh off the stellar review in Stereophile. At that point...super-high efficiency speakers, were a mystery; and therefore, scared the hell out of me. So I wanted to hear for myself. On top of that...they were using my amp (at the time); a Pass XA-30.8, to drive them.

After the wait...they used the 'ole pottery-wheel, to play a musty-old copy of The Firebird. Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely, and challenging piece of music. A favorite. But it takes a while to simmer, and get cooking. I just didn't think, it was the way to kick-off your demo-day; especially when a) people had been waiting, while you hook sh*t up...and b) you're supposed to be the "antithesis", of the stodgy, old audiophile community.

We sat for 5 minutes, to see if they were really going to let the whole side play out (I think it was meant, to appease the crowd...with some "background" music; while they continued, to set-up ); looked at each other, and left. Might have cost Zu, $5k...because I never had the chance, to be wowed by the pair.
You'll probably like this guy..
https://darko.audio/2019/02/this-mus...ays-thank-you/ scroll down to the music first audiophile video.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #10 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
You'll probably like this guy..
https://darko.audio/2019/02/this-mus...ays-thank-you/ scroll down to the music first audiophile video.
JD, is more into Techno than I am...lol.

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > Musical Fidelity M2si IA > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
CDLehner is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tenthplanet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, West of desert
Posts: 7,184
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2559 Post(s)
Liked: 4263
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
JD, is more into Techno than I am...lol.
I like his music first viewpoint, if it isn't about the music, then why do we have audio systems.
postrokfan likes this.

"Espresso is like tequila, when in doubt apply more shots."
tenthplanet is online now  
post #12 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
CDLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dark Side of the Moon-Right Side of the Bay, MD
Posts: 11,024
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 3146
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post
I like his music first viewpoint, if it isn't about the music, then why do we have audio systems.
Music first! And not just, as a marketing tagline

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > Musical Fidelity M2si IA > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
CDLehner is online now  
post #13 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,971
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
I just posted this Tidal playlist over on another thread.

This what I'm likely to take to Axpona as demo material, Hopefully, no one has heard of any of these.

Oh chit, it's not letting me post links to individual tracks.

Ok, I didn't know how to make a custom playlist. Fixed I hope

https://tidal.com/playlist/2fbaf556-...4-e05cde917f63
fatbulkexpanse likes this.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 03-14-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Scotth3886 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I've never attended an audio show, but would like to. I enjoy reading about them, and appreciate the pics people furnish at this site.

Show recommendations welcomed. Not interested in listening in someone's hotel room, or a warehouse.
I’ve only been to Axpona but the reality is most demos at a large show are in hotel rooms. Convention centers are in hotels and there are limited numbers of meeting rooms or larger demo rooms. Fortunately the rooms at Axpona are mostly suites and are good sized. Not ideal but neither are most of our listening rooms.
Scotth3886 and Panson like this.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
MSchott is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 03-14-2019, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,836
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1240 Post(s)
Liked: 4067
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
I’ve only been to Axpona but the reality is most demos at a large show are in hotel rooms. Convention centers are in hotels and there are limited numbers of meeting rooms or larger demo rooms. Fortunately the rooms at Axpona are mostly suites and are good sized. Not ideal but neither are most of our listening rooms.
Thank you. Suites could be okay, as well as small to medium function rooms.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
Panson is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
Member
 
fatbulkexpanse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Colorado
Posts: 138
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've only been to one audio show, and I was quickly bored with hearing the same stuff over and over again. Also, it made it difficult for me to evaluate the gear. If I don't sit around listening to Diana Krall, it's not going to do a lot of good for me to demo a system with that music. That said, several exhibitors were taking requests. Which leads to the best music I've heard at an audio show...the music I requested, of course.

Philharmonic BMR Philharmonitor | Rythmik F12G | Parasound Halo P6 | PS Audio Stellar M700 | Oppo BDP-103
fatbulkexpanse is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Posts: 686
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Don’t have high expectations of learning how gear sounds, especially micro detail at a show. To me they are great places to see gear most of us only read about. The rooms are usually less than ideal and the combination of gear colors the overall effect.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
MSchott is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 03-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Member
 
OdysseusG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Lars Kristensen, formerly of Raidho and now (I think) with the new Borresen, runs good demos with interesting music. "The Curse" by Agnes Obel really knocked my socks off, just beautiful.
OdysseusG is online now  
post #19 of 19 Old 03-29-2019, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 8,971
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked: 2756
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdysseusG View Post
Lars Kristensen, formerly of Raidho and now (I think) with the new Borresen, runs good demos with interesting music. "The Curse" by Agnes Obel really knocked my socks off, just beautiful.

That's always my goal is to take music that no one has ever heard of.

https://tidal.com/album/89414143

Scotth3886 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off