AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   2-Channel Audio (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/)
-   -   Best and Worst music you've heard at an audio show (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3055302-best-worst-music-youve-heard-audio-show.html)

tenthplanet 03-08-2019 06:39 PM

Best and Worst music you've heard at an audio show

Ever been at an audio show, or at a dealer for that matter and heard of piece of music that really got your attention for good :) or bad :eek:. Maybe you even bought a copy of it afterwards, or wished you could burn every copy that existed. What was it ? :)

Andy Linkner 03-11-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 57717086)
Ever been at an audio show, or at a dealer for that matter and heard of piece of music that really got your attention for good :) or bad :eek:. Maybe you even bought a copy of it afterwards, or wished you could burn every copy that existed. What was it ? :)

I'm always struck by how boringly predictable is the music dealers use to show off their gear. It makes me suspect all over again that audiophiles are more about the gear than the music. Diana Krall and Nora Jones, et. al., are not even that good at displaying much that a system can do, if you ask me.

tenthplanet 03-12-2019 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Linkner (Post 57732026)
I'm always struck by how boringly predictable is the music dealers use to show off their gear. It makes me suspect all over again that audiophiles are more about the gear than the music. Diana Krall and Nora Jones, et. al., are not even that good at displaying much that a system can do, if you ask me.

Some good dealers will ask if you brought any music with you, if you audition with classical music you have to bring you're own or submit to lite jazz. Real audiophiles have always had the music vs. gear head split even before the internet. There used to be a running joke about the guy with a lot of money sunk into equipment who only owned ten records that he could stand listen to.:eek: Don't be that guy.

Blacklightning 03-12-2019 06:52 AM

Back in the day I was always turned off of Bose HT demo rooms. I was impressed with the volume that the cubes could do but the sound just did not sound the same for the few really movie clips they did show. And the bass seemed to be the same frequency when ever it was super loud. The only thing I would think was that the sub must be really loud at that frequency so that is why they use that note all the time. I also hated the fact that I could not play any of the DVD/CD's that I bought with me.

dunejunkee 03-12-2019 08:02 AM

At RMAF this year when I went into the Gyphoon room they had Wildfire by Mandolin Orange playing. I put it on spotify at that time. Its one of those songs that brings your system to life.

Panson 03-12-2019 10:22 AM

I've never attended an audio show, but would like to. I enjoy reading about them, and appreciate the pics people furnish at this site.

Show recommendations welcomed. Not interested in listening in someone's hotel room, or a warehouse.

Scotth3886 03-12-2019 11:46 AM

I try real hard to bring material no one has ever heard of before as I will again this year.

CDLehner 03-12-2019 11:51 AM

I've always avoided audio shows, like the plague; for the reasons, listed above. "Pretentious", "predictable", etc.

I went to my local show, Capital Audio Fest...as the first, and only one; a few years back. It's not AXPONA or RMAF; but I guess it's not Joe's Audio Show either.

Best music: mine, lol ;) Seriously; obviously, it's what I wanted to hear...and, tracks I picked, that are recorded well and show-off certain aspects of a system. But also...they're good music; and, outside the audiophile box (as I am an outside-the-box audiophile). Every room I went in...where they let me play my flash drive; people perked-up, smiled...started foot-tapping, and head-bobbing. One room...the guy just handed me, the iPad :D

"Worst" demo: I waited 30 minutes, for the Zu guys to get their sh*t together. I was super-excited, because they were showing the Soul Supreme, fresh off the stellar review in Stereophile. At that point...super-high efficiency speakers, were a mystery; and therefore, scared the hell out of me. So I wanted to hear for myself. On top of that...they were using my amp (at the time); a Pass XA-30.8, to drive them.

After the wait...they used the 'ole pottery-wheel, to play a musty-old copy of The Firebird. Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely, and challenging piece of music. A favorite. But it takes a while to simmer, and get cooking. I just didn't think, it was the way to kick-off your demo-day; especially when a) people had been waiting, while you hook sh*t up...and b) you're supposed to be the "antithesis", of the stodgy, old audiophile community.

We sat for 5 minutes, to see if they were really going to let the whole side play out (I think it was meant, to appease the crowd...with some "background" music; while they continued, to set-up :rolleyes:); looked at each other, and left. Might have cost Zu, $5k...because I never had the chance, to be wowed by the pair.

tenthplanet 03-13-2019 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 57734636)
I've always avoided audio shows, like the plague; for the reasons, listed above. "Pretentious", "predictable", etc.

I went to my local show, Capital Audio Fest...as the first, and only one; a few years back. It's not AXPONA or RMAF; but I guess it's not Joe's Audio Show either.

Best music: mine, lol ;) Seriously; obviously, it's what I wanted to hear...and, tracks I picked, that are recorded well and show-off certain aspects of a system. But also...they're good music; and, outside the audiophile box (as I am an outside-the-box audiophile). Every room I went in...where they let me play my flash drive; people perked-up, smiled...started foot-tapping, and head-bobbing. One room...the guy just handed me, the iPad :D

"Worst" demo: I waited 30 minutes, for the Zu guys to get their sh*t together. I was super-excited, because they were showing the Soul Supreme, fresh off the stellar review in Stereophile. At that point...super-high efficiency speakers, were a mystery; and therefore, scared the hell out of me. So I wanted to hear for myself. On top of that...they were using my amp (at the time); a Pass XA-30.8, to drive them.

After the wait...they used the 'ole pottery-wheel, to play a musty-old copy of The Firebird. Don't get me wrong; it's a lovely, and challenging piece of music. A favorite. But it takes a while to simmer, and get cooking. I just didn't think, it was the way to kick-off your demo-day; especially when a) people had been waiting, while you hook sh*t up...and b) you're supposed to be the "antithesis", of the stodgy, old audiophile community.

We sat for 5 minutes, to see if they were really going to let the whole side play out (I think it was meant, to appease the crowd...with some "background" music; while they continued, to set-up :rolleyes:); looked at each other, and left. Might have cost Zu, $5k...because I never had the chance, to be wowed by the pair.

You'll probably like this guy..
https://darko.audio/2019/02/this-mus...ays-thank-you/ scroll down to the music first audiophile video.

CDLehner 03-13-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 57741434)
You'll probably like this guy..
https://darko.audio/2019/02/this-mus...ays-thank-you/ scroll down to the music first audiophile video.

JD, is more into Techno than I am...lol.

tenthplanet 03-13-2019 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDLehner (Post 57742004)
JD, is more into Techno than I am...lol.

I like his music first viewpoint, if it isn't about the music, then why do we have audio systems.

CDLehner 03-13-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tenthplanet (Post 57742364)
I like his music first viewpoint, if it isn't about the music, then why do we have audio systems.

Music first! And not just, as a marketing tagline :rolleyes:

Scotth3886 03-13-2019 07:23 PM

I just posted this Tidal playlist over on another thread.

This what I'm likely to take to Axpona as demo material, Hopefully, no one has heard of any of these.

Oh chit, it's not letting me post links to individual tracks.

Ok, I didn't know how to make a custom playlist. Fixed I hope

https://tidal.com/playlist/2fbaf556-...4-e05cde917f63

MSchott 03-13-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panson (Post 57734052)
I've never attended an audio show, but would like to. I enjoy reading about them, and appreciate the pics people furnish at this site.

Show recommendations welcomed. Not interested in listening in someone's hotel room, or a warehouse.

I’ve only been to Axpona but the reality is most demos at a large show are in hotel rooms. Convention centers are in hotels and there are limited numbers of meeting rooms or larger demo rooms. Fortunately the rooms at Axpona are mostly suites and are good sized. Not ideal but neither are most of our listening rooms.

Panson 03-14-2019 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSchott (Post 57742972)
I’ve only been to Axpona but the reality is most demos at a large show are in hotel rooms. Convention centers are in hotels and there are limited numbers of meeting rooms or larger demo rooms. Fortunately the rooms at Axpona are mostly suites and are good sized. Not ideal but neither are most of our listening rooms.

Thank you. Suites could be okay, as well as small to medium function rooms.

fatbulkexpanse 03-14-2019 12:43 PM

I've only been to one audio show, and I was quickly bored with hearing the same stuff over and over again. Also, it made it difficult for me to evaluate the gear. If I don't sit around listening to Diana Krall, it's not going to do a lot of good for me to demo a system with that music. That said, several exhibitors were taking requests. Which leads to the best music I've heard at an audio show...the music I requested, of course.

MSchott 03-14-2019 02:20 PM

Don’t have high expectations of learning how gear sounds, especially micro detail at a show. To me they are great places to see gear most of us only read about. The rooms are usually less than ideal and the combination of gear colors the overall effect.

OdysseusG 03-28-2019 03:18 PM

Lars Kristensen, formerly of Raidho and now (I think) with the new Borresen, runs good demos with interesting music. "The Curse" by Agnes Obel really knocked my socks off, just beautiful.

Scotth3886 03-29-2019 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OdysseusG (Post 57819884)
Lars Kristensen, formerly of Raidho and now (I think) with the new Borresen, runs good demos with interesting music. "The Curse" by Agnes Obel really knocked my socks off, just beautiful.

That's always my goal is to take music that no one has ever heard of.

https://tidal.com/album/89414143