How to record stereo mic using USB audio interface - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-16-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 75
How to record stereo mic using USB audio interface

I'm not sure if this is the best forum to place this thread, but I'll take the chance that it is.

I own a Crown SASS-P microphone.The following link tells just about everything about this stereo mic.

http://coutant.org/sass/

My question is simple. How do I record the separate R and L outputs of this mic, using say a two-XLR-input USB audio interface, as two distinct, independent R and L channels on a computer?

I understand that the typical use for these interfaces with two microphones is to combine the two mics into either a single channel, or as two channels that are merely "clones" of this single, "mono" channel. Again, what I want to do is to record two separate, independent channels -- where the motion of the sound source is captured/reproduced as that sound source travels across the sound stage. For example, if the SASS is placed on a stand to record the music from a marching band (or a Harley) that passes by, when that recording is played back on a stereo system or on headphones the music will similarly "pass by" through the sound stage or through ones head, if one is wearing headphones.

Here is an owner of a SASS who has managed to record a video that has discrete two-channel audio that is exactly what I want to achieve (except that I'd swap the two channels so that when he's on the viewer's right side of the mic that the majority of the sound is in the viewer's right ear rather then the left):
Unfortunately, the guy who made the video does not explain how he recorded the audio, so I'm here seeking the solution.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2019, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 238
The first part is converting the mic signal into digital. You'll need something like a Focusrite Scarlett Solo.

After the signal is converted to USB, its up to you now how you want to mix and convert it, usually by a recording software loaded in your computer.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...udio-interface

Here is short tutorial https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/hom...io-essentials/

Last edited by bing!; 03-16-2019 at 02:22 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-17-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 336
As bing noted, you will need a USB interface. But to maintain a discrete stereo signal from the Crown mic, the interface needs to be one with two mic inputs. Audacity is a decent free digital recording program.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This may be another option:
https://www.store.calrad.com/10-162
Attached Thumbnails