Crazy phono cartridge thread.... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-21-2019, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Crazy phono cartridge thread....

This is crazy because its so unique. So unique, nobody may be able to identify.

Here's the situation. I bent the stylus on my Dynavector 20x2L. Didnt feel like buying a new one, so I had it repaired. I sent it to VAS-NY.

Got it back, did a weeks worth of break in and this is what happened. I listen to it and it sounds different.

The repaired stylus puts out a beautiful sound, but it doesnt sound natural live. It sounds amplifed live. Does that make sense?

I've attended a lot of musical events. Intimate - a bunch of musical arts students singing opera to a small party, to public - club venues, up to ginourmous - tens of thousands concert venues.

I feel that I can tell between a live voice and one that comes through a PA system.

And so to mine ears, my vinyl now sounds live amplified. AND, I like it. The voices sound more natural, since I heard live amplified more than live natural.

Because, of that, I like it better.

Is that weird?

LIVE AMPLIFIED - Mildly tinny voice. Smaller sound stage.

LIVE NATURAL - Chesty voice. Larger sound stage.

Last edited by bing!; 03-21-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing! View Post
This is crazy because its so unique. So unique, nobody may be able to identify.

Here's the situation. I bent the stylus on my Dynavector 20x2L. Didnt feel like buying a new one, so I had it repaired. I sent it to VAS-NY.

Got it back, did a weeks worth of break in and this is what happened. I listen to it and it sounds different.

The repaired stylus puts out a beautiful sound, but it doesnt sound natural live. It sounds amplifed live. Does that make sense?

I've attended a lot of musical events. Intimate - a bunch of musical arts students singing opera to a small party, to public - club venues, up to ginourmous - tens of thousands concert venues.

I feel that I can tell between a live voice and one that comes through a PA system.

And so to mine ears, my vinyl now sounds live amplified. AND, I like it. The voices sound more natural, since I heard live amplified more than live natural.

Because, of that, I like it better.

Is that weird?

LIVE AMPLIFIED - Mildly tinny voice. Smaller sound stage.

LIVE NATURAL - Chesty voice. Larger sound stage.

Give it time to break in and supply feedback! I suspect the sound will warm up a bit.

(Theater)Speakers: Martin Logan Expression 13A, Stage X, Dual Depth I Subs, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: Three Moon Simaudio 400m monoblocks,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Martin Logan Montis, Harmony Elite.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-02-2019, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 312
duplicate post

(Theater)Speakers: Martin Logan Expression 13A, Stage X, Dual Depth I Subs, Vanquish in ceiling (surrounds) | Processor: Marantz 8805 | Amp: Three Moon Simaudio 400m monoblocks,One Moon Simaudio 330a, PS Audio Directstream | Sources: DirecTV HR17, Mac Mini, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Panny UB820| Television: Samsung 75Q9FN | Remote: Logitech Harmony Elite
(Loft) Anthem MRX 520, LG 77G6P, Oppo UDP-203, Martin Logan Montis, Harmony Elite.

Last edited by liltalkm; 04-02-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Question is did you have it repaired with the same type of cantilever and diamond tip as the original?

The DV-20X2 has an aluminum pipe (not rod) and a Micro Ridge diamond tip.

If anything deviates from the original specs, the sonic signature of the cartridge will change and never be the same again.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked: 1998
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2...l#post57666740

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #6 of 7 Old 04-03-2019, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by balky View Post
Question is did you have it repaired with the same type of cantilever and diamond tip as the original?

The DV-20X2 has an aluminum pipe (not rod) and a Micro Ridge diamond tip.

If anything deviates from the original specs, the sonic signature of the cartridge will change and never be the same again.
Alu pipe, but fine elliptical diamond. It was either that or a nude line contact cut.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-04-2019, 02:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing! View Post
Alu pipe, but fine elliptical diamond. It was either that or a nude line contact cut.
The nude line contact would have been sounded closer to the cart's original sonic signature than the fine elliptical diamond will.
hope you didn't have to pay too much for it.

The fine elliptical description also needs to be questioned a little... from what I know, it is generally either nude elliptical or bonded elliptical, the guy who did the job needs to be more specific.

If you have been sold a bonded elliptical, hidden under the name fine elliptical, then your cartridge is done.
You aren't ever going to get the same level of details like you had with the original tip, won't even come close, in fact.

Ortofon describes their elliptical DJ carts as "special elliptical" where in fact they are actually bonded elliptical... such is the morale these days...

The only other option I can think of is to send it back and ask for a nude diamond tip.
Elliptical would sound good, and line contact will come closer to what you know.

Good luck!

Last edited by balky; 04-04-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page