Recommend a DAC to go with a Yamaha AS1100 .. or no DAC? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #31 of 37 Old 12-13-2019, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hey, I have my Yamaha A-S2100 amp paired with a Topping D70 Chi-fi DAC and it is spectacular man. You can get this for 400 bucks on drop.com if you have some patience. I sold my 2500 dollar Shiit Yggdrasil piece of sht after i heard this Topping. I also audited the PS Audio stellar DAC on my system. It did not cut it for me either. Don't underestimate the finesse and value provided by Chinese engineering. I have worked with engineers from different parts of the world and i have yet to see a dumass Chinese engineer. But, i can safely say that i've worked with plenty of dumass engineers in our God's own country and Europe. Give this Chi-fi DAC a shot before you drown 2500 dollars or 5000 dollars on some overpriced piece of sht DAC just because some anti-Asian bigot propagandist audiophool told you so. Most of these bozos source all Chinese parts, source slave labor from Asia on their "Made in the USA/Made in England" hifi anyways and add a 900% markup. God bless.
Shangri-La and yodog like this.

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 12-15-2019, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Abraham View Post
Hey, I have my Yamaha A-S2100 amp paired with a Topping D70 Chi-fi DAC and it is spectacular man. You can get this for 400 bucks on drop.com if you have some patience. I sold my 2500 dollar Shiit Yggdrasil piece of sht after i heard this Topping. I also audited the PS Audio stellar DAC on my system. It did not cut it for me either. Don't underestimate the finesse and value provided by Chinese engineering. I have worked with engineers from different parts of the world and i have yet to see a dumass Chinese engineer. But, i can safely say that i've worked with plenty of dumass engineers in our God's own country and Europe. Give this Chi-fi DAC a shot before you drown 2500 dollars or 5000 dollars on some overpriced piece of sht DAC just because some anti-Asian bigot propagandist audiophool told you so. Most of these bozos source all Chinese parts, source slave labor from Asia on their "Made in the USA/Made in England" hifi anyways and add a 900% markup. God bless.
Do you use the balanced or rca inputs?

Also how do you connect to the dac? Rca digital cable? Or?

Did you get the Bluetooth version or standard?

And are you using it as a preamp?

Do it all or don't do it at all.
post #33 of 37 Old 12-21-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Abraham View Post

The Topping D70 was measured over at another forum and got a rave review. My DAC is the Stellar GCD. It is the first and only DAC I've owned, so I have not frame of reference. And I didn't know anything about DACs when I got it. I assumed that, being by PS Audio, it would be a first class DAC. However, that same forum measured the Stellar DAC and found just about the worst SINAD performance they have ever tested.

Because of that, I'm looking to replace it with a top flight DAC. I do need a product that can also serve as a pre-amp with home theater bypass analog inputs, and that can also drive my Krell power amp. Right now, I'm leaning towards the Benchmark DAC3, which also measures out in the top tier of DACs.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 37 Old 12-23-2019, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodog View Post
Do you use the balanced or rca inputs?

Also how do you connect to the dac? Rca digital cable? Or?

Did you get the Bluetooth version or standard?

And are you using it as a preamp?

Marantz network player streamer or PC--->optical cable or USB--->Topping D70---->balanced--->Yamaha A-S2100 amp----> NS-F901 speaker A///Elac Adante Af61 speaker B

- Don't get too hung up on balanced vs non-balanced (your ears are the best judge on this and it doesn't matter what the kool-aid drinking audiophool said).
- Standard, no bluetooth. I never use bluetooth!!
- No, bypass Dac's preamp

On a similar note, the Topping D90 should be out soon!

2 Channel Music Home Use: Yamaha NS-F901 floorstanders, Yamaha A-S2100 amp, Yamaha A-S801 amp
2.1 Channel Shop use: JBL Loft 50 floorstanders, HSU VTF2 MK5 Sub, Pioneer Elite LX-102
post #35 of 37 Old 12-31-2019, 09:42 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post
"We" aren't complaining about posts. Only you.
Loosen up. It's not only about you. Allow others to share opinions and experiences.

Yes it is

AVR Yamaha RX-V 1800/1900/1500
TT/Cassette ProJect Xpression III/Yamaha KX1200/KX800
BR Yam. BD-S681/Sony X800/Pan. BD30 DPL Sam. 65"/ 55"/50"
Speakers PSB T-45,8C,1B/ PSB 500,200C,RBH A600/Alphas
Subs Rythmic LV12-R/PSB Subsonic 6/5
post #36 of 37 Old 12-31-2019, 09:47 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post
Thank you! I think some people come here just to argue.

The A-S1100 is a fine integrated amp that should serve you well for many years. Some people just do not like Yamaha gear. Many of the naysayers have never owned Yamaha.

Totally agree. Thirty years ago I compared a Yamaha integrated amp being sourced by an Oracle Delphi turntable and a pair of Mirage SM-3 speakers and none of the seperates using the same source and speakers could beat it n sound quality. Yamaha excels in making HIFI.

post #37 of 37 Old 12-31-2019, 09:53 AM
3db
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES000000 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the suggestions. EDIT: sorry, I realized I could run the HDMIs into the TV, and the TV has a digital audio out, so all of the recommendations actually would work.

I was thinking about the possibility of separates but honestly I don't even know where to start.

We are currently using an integrated AV-receiver but it's also definitely the weak link. Speaking of the weak link, I know the Behringer (I know considerably less about hifi than audio for editing and mixing sound) and its weak link isn't the convertors but the analog electronics around them.

Go with the Yamaha. Based on my AVRs, two of which I bought used, and 4 cassette decks that are older 30 years and run like a Swiss wtach movement, their longetivity speaks volumes in their build quality. There stuff just works. As far as DACs go, try without to see if the sond quality is to your liking. If you feel like you rmissing soomething, then by all means purchase something. When listeneing, do it with the lights out or on low in a quiet background so you can focus on hearing, not seeing. IHO, speakers and thier room interaction makes up 99.9 % of the sound quality.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page