Integrated Amp Suggestions - Just ordered Magnepan LRSs - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #151 of 159 Old 04-29-2019, 09:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
That could be a long time from now because as a class TVs have a pretty good lifetime.
--

I know you've said you don't use it anymore but out of curiosity is that center speaker a Model 90 or Model 100?

It's model 100, It's NOT that good. Dust is so thick when I took it down to take pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kef center 3.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	2560318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kef center 2.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2560320  
m. zillch likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 159 Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
That could be a long time from now because as a class TVs have a pretty good lifetime.
--

I know you've said you don't use it anymore but out of curiosity is that center speaker a Model 90 or Model 100?
No kidding, we bought in the end of 2005. It just refuses to give up. The color is still better than the 65" Samsung LED in the family room. Those new flat panel tv are NOT meant to last. This is the second one already, the first one lasted like 5 years, this one is ready to go already. My bet is the old Mit rear projection is going to out last the Samsung. They are like computers, they are like fashion, you expect to change them every few years and they are not made to last.

I am just too cheap to dump a perfectly working tv.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #153 of 159 Old 04-30-2019, 06:08 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
When I heard about the Maggie LRSs, I decided to try to find a pair. I looked at Magnepan's dealer list and found only two in New York state, one of which is on Long Island, where I live. So, last Saturday, I drove the hour to their store and found that they are a very new Maggie dealer, and have no stock as yet. So, I'm on their list for a call when they get their stock. I also talked with them about needing an amp and mentioned my interest in something with streaming capability, such as the NAD C 368 or C 388. He recommended against anything NAD (he used to be a NAD dealer and had some reliability issues). He suggested I skip BluOS and consider HEOS for my streaming. Any thoughts? I did a little searching for HEOS-equipped stereo amps, but all I could find were AVRs from Denon and Marantz (i.e. no 2-channel ones). Of course, I could get a Node 2i or a HEOS link and use any integrated amp, but I want to keep it simple if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 159 Old 04-30-2019, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
When I heard about the Maggie LRSs, I decided to try to find a pair. I looked at Magnepan's dealer list and found only two in New York state, one of which is on Long Island, where I live. So, last Saturday, I drove the hour to their store and found that they are a very new Maggie dealer, and have no stock as yet. So, I'm on their list for a call when they get their stock. I also talked with them about needing an amp and mentioned my interest in something with streaming capability, such as the NAD C 368 or C 388. He recommended against anything NAD (he used to be a NAD dealer and had some reliability issues). He suggested I skip BluOS and consider HEOS for my streaming. Any thoughts? I did a little searching for HEOS-equipped stereo amps, but all I could find were AVRs from Denon and Marantz (i.e. no 2-channel ones). Of course, I could get a Node 2i or a HEOS link and use any integrated amp, but I want to keep it simple if possible.

Hopefully, I get a shipping notice here one of these days so I can give it a try with various amps. I know my brother will want to try his NAD and Denon on them because he knows his wife won't let him get anything else.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 04-30-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #155 of 159 Old 04-30-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4852 Post(s)
Liked: 3605
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
He recommended against anything NAD (he used to be a NAD dealer and had some reliability issues). . . . . Any thoughts?
Never trust an audio dealer to comment on gear they can't actually sell you. They are sleazy and often unfairly criticize and besmirch the competition. I can call them that, "sleazy", because I was a dealer, not that I was that way nor am I claiming all are, however I know all their tricks including their golden rule.

The number one principal they adhere to is "SWISS":

Sell
What's
In
Stock,
Stupid

Claiming the competition had "reliability issues" is a perfect slam because it is fundamentally undeniable/unprovable. You can't prove he (she) was simply lying. To truly know you'd have to have access to both their sales figures per brand and their returns/defective exchange records (which they aren't about to show you).

You also don't know if they are actually telling you what they believe to be the truth, but only based on their inaccurate perception. For easy math lets say 1 out of 10 products is a dud (i.e. breaks within a year of purchase) and this figure is equally true of ALL brands. If they sold 43 NAD amps last year but only 9 Mark Levinsons, then they would have seen 4 returns of NAD and 0 returns of Mark Levinson. So in their mind those 4 unfortunate events stick out like a sore thumb and they incorrectly conclude "NADs break".

[Beavis:"Huh-huh, he said NADs break"]

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-30-2019 at 10:30 AM.
post #156 of 159 Old 05-01-2019, 05:01 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I understand not necessarily taking his negative comments about NAD seriously, but I still want to find out about HEOS.
post #157 of 159 Old 05-01-2019, 09:47 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Marantz makes other devices that aren't AVR's that use HEOS. Personally, I wouldn't want an integrated amp with features on it like that anyways. Save that for the streaming box/DAC/preamp.

I have a Marantz ND8006 that has HEOS on it and I haven't had one issue with it (the ND8006 is connected to my vintage Marantz 2285B and serves as the DAC/streaming device/CD). The HEOS app itself is ok...but then again I've yet to find an app like that that I'd call excellent. The Yamaha app was way worse.
post #158 of 159 Old 08-11-2019, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
My current Yamaha AS301 in my budget system isn't likely to do very well with these so I'm thinking of a Parasound Halo integrated.

Since I'm a budget minded consumer these days, I'd like to keep this under $2,500.

What other integrateds should I also be thinking about in the $1,500 - $2,500 price range? NO AVRs. I have no issue with late model used. I prefer silver faced. Sub outs are needed and also pre-outs so I can run the subs in stereo if I choose. Speaker A and B selectors are also needed because I'll also run the master bedroom speakers from this amp. Good DAC also because I'll mostly use Tidal. Good Phono stage too. The current Elac F6.2s will be moved to the bedroom. The Yamaha AS301 will be moved to spare bedroom to create system number five.

If you don't mind pre owned, you might be able to get a good deal on this that might fit the top end of your $2,500 budget.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/product...lifiers/MA5300
post #159 of 159 Old 08-11-2019, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 2350
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Alpina View Post
If you don't mind pre owned, you might be able to get a good deal on this that might fit the top end of your $2,500 budget.

https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/product...lifiers/MA5300
Thanks, but no McIntosh for me. I have no idea what I'll end up with.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 08-11-2019 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page