phono preamp upgrade? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jeff Aguilar
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 196
phono preamp upgrade?

I have a Pro Ject 1expression turntable w/ortofon 2mm blue connected via a Pro ject phono box mm to my Marantz.I'm looking to upgrade the phono preamp to something better. Just feel its time to upgrade the pre amp have had it for awhile and want to try something new within reason. Looking up 250-500. to spend for a new pre amp but don't know enough about them as to sound characteristics etc. Small foot print is best for me.Also like the "warm" sounding characteristics if possible.So looking for opinions as to what to look for a new preamp.thanks

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.

Last edited by rocky1; 04-23-2019 at 05:49 AM.
rocky1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 5691
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
I have a Pro Ject 1expression turntable w/ortofon 2mm blue connected via a Pro ject phono box mm to my Marantz.I'm looking to upgrade the phono preamp to something better. Just feel its time to upgrade the pre amp have had it for awhile and want to try something new within reason. Looking up 250-500. to spend for a new pre amp but don't know enough about them as to sound characteristics etc. Small foot print is best for me.Also like the "warm" sounding characteristics if possible.So looking for opinions as to what to look for a new preamp.thanks
I think you need to change the cart if you want a more neutral or warmer sound. I had the 2M Blue and it can be rather hot on the top. For carts I'd look at the Nagaoka MP-200, Goldring G 2300 and the Grado Gold 2. Your current phono, which is quite good, can handle any of these MM carts.
Class A is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 196
didn't think of changing the cart.I guess that would be a more advisable upgrade ?

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 5691
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
didn't think of changing the cart.I guess that would be a more advisable upgrade ?
Years ago when I went from a 2M Blue to a Dynavector 10x5 it was a big improvement. Less surface noise, better bottom end, more detail and soundstage. At the time I had the same Pro-Ject tube phono during the cart change.
Class A is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,533
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Years ago when I went from a 2M Blue to a Dynavector 10x5 it was a big improvement. Less surface noise, better bottom end, more detail and soundstage. At the time I had the same Pro-Ject tube phono during the cart change.
I suppose I should look into that one aswell . My pre amp is not the tube one more of the budget side of things. Makes me still wonder though between the cartridge upgrade or phono pre amp upgrade which should go first. Best scenario would be both if could be managed.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #6 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 5691
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
I suppose I should look into that one aswell . My pre amp is not the tube one more of the budget side of things. Makes me still wonder though between the cartridge upgrade or phono pre amp upgrade which should go first. Best scenario would be both if could be managed.
If you want to do both. I would say the Nagaoka MP200 w/the Lounge Audio MKIII LCR phono will really upgrade your sound. That would be above the $500 by about $100-$150 but you'll you won't want to upgrade for a long time.
Class A is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Jeff Aguilar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Olympia, WA USA
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Aguilar
I think going the route of getting a new cart is the way to go before changing out your pre-amp. I have read really good things about the Nagaoka MP200. When I did my last upgrade it was between that cart and the Denon DL-302MKII. I ended up going with the Denon. Changing the cart was a definite upgrade!

Jeff
Muphasta likes this.
Jeff Aguilar is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 7,058
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1120 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Look at the Cambridge Audio Duo, for $299.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post
I have a Pro Ject 1expression turntable w/ortofon 2mm blue connected via a Pro ject phono box mm to my Marantz.I'm looking to upgrade the phono preamp to something better. Just feel its time to upgrade the pre amp have had it for awhile and want to try something new within reason. Looking up 250-500. to spend for a new pre amp but don't know enough about them as to sound characteristics etc. Small foot print is best for me.Also like the "warm" sounding characteristics if possible.So looking for opinions as to what to look for a new preamp.thanks
commsysman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off