What's the best way to get Tidal and spotify to your 2 channel? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #61 of 64 Old 08-11-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksleo View Post
The node 2i its full decode? Its the same if i buy for example pro ject pre box s2 digital? Or Which its better? (i have a marantz 5012 so the part of the streaming its cover, also i have a yamaha rs700)
The Node 2i is indeed full unfold of MQA. What it doesn't do natively is any DSD files, it must convert those to PCM. I think the DAC in the Node 2i (Burr-Brown PCM5122) is still better than whatever is in your Marantz 5012 for all else though.

The ProJect Pre-Box S2 Digital is a really nice unit with an ESS Sabre 9038Q2M and does all of what the Node 2i does plus all DSD formats. What it doesn't do that the Node 2i does is have it's own apps that work so well for handling the music, and growing the system beyond one unit. You might have that handled with a Roon subscription, though I do not know if a Pre-Box S2 Digital is recognized as a Roon endpoint like the Node 2i.

Imagine a Node 2i on the Yamaha RS700, and you've got a really nice list of songs playing. You can save that current play queue as a playlist, or you can also either transfer that play queue over to a Node 2i on the Marantz. You can join them and have both units playing the same music at the same time, or just move it to the other system completely. That's without Roon, I don't know if doing the same is possible with Roon and as said, don't know if a ProJect Pre-Box S2 Digital works with Roon that way.
Trunksleo likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 64 Old 08-11-2019, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I guess i need to research the node 2i alot more. As i said i presently run roon/tidal to either my sr7012 or oppo 203. Also have a comcast connected to an sr8002 in another room. Would the only advantage/upgrade with the node2i be the full MQA? Being that i have never heard actual full MQA dont know if the node would be worth it. Others here i know dont feel MQA is a big deal . I have no idea if MQA seperates itself SQ wise from hifi or cd quality.. if its minor maybe just stay as i am. Dont know yet . Hope someone who has compared could advise...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
post #63 of 64 Old 08-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The Node 2i is indeed full unfold of MQA. What it doesn't do natively is any DSD files, it must convert those to PCM. I think the DAC in the Node 2i (Burr-Brown PCM5122) is still better than whatever is in your Marantz 5012 for all else though.

The ProJect Pre-Box S2 Digital is a really nice unit with an ESS Sabre 9038Q2M and does all of what the Node 2i does plus all DSD formats. What it doesn't do that the Node 2i does is have it's own apps that work so well for handling the music, and growing the system beyond one unit. You might have that handled with a Roon subscription, though I do not know if a Pre-Box S2 Digital is recognized as a Roon endpoint like the Node 2i.

Imagine a Node 2i on the Yamaha RS700, and you've got a really nice list of songs playing. You can save that current play queue as a playlist, or you can also either transfer that play queue over to a Node 2i on the Marantz. You can join them and have both units playing the same music at the same time, or just move it to the other system completely. That's without Roon, I don't know if doing the same is possible with Roon and as said, don't know if a ProJect Pre-Box S2 Digital works with Roon that way.
Thanks. Also i have a lg g7 but i dont know if full decoder or renderer of mqa.
Im insteresring on the pro ject pre box s2 digital for the mqa/dsd. The problem its that i connect the marantz preouts to the main in of the yamaha so i lost all the analog connection of the yamaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 64 Old 08-11-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunksleo View Post
Thanks. Also i have a lg g7 but i dont know if full decoder or renderer of mqa.
Im insteresring on the pro ject pre box s2 digital for the mqa/dsd. The problem its that i connect the marantz preouts to the main in of the yamaha so i lost all the analog connection of the yamaha.
That's confusing. If you are using the pre-outs of the Marantz AVR-X5012 into the main in of the Yamaha R700, then I'm guessing you are driving just your main 2 speakers with the R700's 50 watts per channel. The Marantz puts out TWICE that in 2-channel modes!

If you do this because you like the amplifier sound of an older 2-channel unit, you would be better-off just using a high-quality speaker switch for when you're watching movies and keep all 2-channel duties with the Yamaha. You could then use the analog outputs of a Node 2i or Pre-Box S2 Digital for what they do in their DAC's.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page