AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   2-Channel Audio (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/)
-   -   What's the best way to get Tidal and spotify to your 2 channel? (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3063846-whats-best-way-get-tidal-spotify-your-2-channel.html)

Captain Crunch 04-23-2019 12:53 PM

What's the best way to get Tidal and spotify to your 2 channel?

What's the best way to get Tidal and spotify to your speakers for 2 channel audio?

How do you do it?

Right now I have a pioneer that works great with spotify but crashes Tidal every other song when I'm on wifi so I was wondering what other methods you guys use.

Maybe you dont use your wifi maybe you jack in on aux cable or some other way?

I have a time sensitive problem I need to resolve and your answers may help me decide.

Just wondering how you guys do it?

_tk 04-23-2019 12:58 PM

Chromecast Audio is the easiest. Too bad they are discontinued now.

Otherwise, a lot of separate DAC's have built-in features specifically for this.

torii 04-23-2019 01:19 PM

i use a bluesound node 2 for tidal...or sometimes bluetooth

_tk 04-23-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torii (Post 57944256)
bluetooth

*cringe*

Even on cheapo systems I can tell the difference between a wired connection vs bluetooth.

torii 04-23-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tk (Post 57944282)
*cringe*

Even on cheapo systems I can tell the difference between a wired connection vs bluetooth.

sometimes I bluetooth to get video on my tv from my laptop or phone...dont know any other way... edit...err not video, the tidal app instead of bluesound node 2 app...sigh brain fart.

Russdawg1 04-23-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch (Post 57944052)
What's the best way to get Tidal and spotify to your speakers for 2 channel audio?

How do you do it?

Right now I have a pioneer that works great with spotify but crashes Tidal every other song when I'm on wifi so I was wondering what other methods you guys use.

I have a time sensitive problem I need to resolve and your answers may help me decide.

You can use a normal chromecast.

Or wire your phone up using an aux to rca jack.

Hdmi though a computer of some sort would also work.

rocky1 04-23-2019 01:59 PM

I actually picked up a package of 2 chromecast audio on ebay this month. they are out there

brireeves629 04-23-2019 02:07 PM

I have an Integra AVR. Their AVR and Int Amps have MQA and Tidal built in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gajCA 04-23-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Crunch (Post 57944052)

How do you do it?

Hard wired connection from my PC.

Paopawdecarabao 04-23-2019 05:32 PM

Bluesound Node 2i

pjp 04-23-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky1 (Post 57944456)
I actually picked up a package of 2 chromecast audio on ebay this month. they are out there

I did the same thing. Chromecast Audio is awesome in many ways. Do you know what data rate you get with Tidal via Chromecast audio? I have the same question about Spotify premium -- can be up to 320kbps on iPhone, but it's not clear what you get from Spotify Premium through Chromecast Audio.

rocky1 04-24-2019 04:44 AM

Not sure. I use tidal via roon .

ChromeJob 04-24-2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tk (Post 57944092)
Chromecast Audio is the easiest. Too bad they are discontinued now.

Otherwise, a lot of separate DAC's have built-in features specifically for this.

Or regular Chromecast.

Aja1 04-24-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 57944494)
I have an Integra AVR. Their AVR and Int Amps have MQA and Tidal built in.

I have the Integra DRC-R1.1 processor. How do you stream Tidal through it? I use Savant, but I can't tell if I'm getting MQA.

brireeves629 04-24-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aja1 (Post 57947716)
I have the Integra DRC-R1.1 processor. How do you stream Tidal through it? I use Savant, but I can't tell if I'm getting MQA.

When I pull up my Source options and choose NET, Tidal is one of the options. I use the Integra Control app. I think that Integra doesn’t advertise as MQA but rather they call it hi-res audio. It is MQA though.

_tk 04-24-2019 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob (Post 57947308)
Or regular Chromecast.

Then you have to convert from HDMI to whatever input your 2-channel amp has.

Chromecast Audio gave you a choice of 3.5mm (via the onboard DAC) or mini-toslink to the DAC of your choice.

Aja1 04-24-2019 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 57947766)
When I pull up my Source options and choose NET, Tidal is one of the options. I use the Integra Control app. I think that Integra doesn’t advertise as MQA but rather they call it hi-res audio. It is MQA though.

Hey, this worked and I confirmed that it's MQA, thanks!

brireeves629 04-24-2019 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aja1 (Post 57948986)
Hey, this worked and I confirmed that it's MQA, thanks!

Good to hear! I have really enjoyed Tidal on my Integra. For me it is a huge audible difference compared to AirPlay.

stngray72 04-24-2019 02:43 PM

a usb dac hooked up to a pc that way the dac gets the power from usb and not the wall.

This is a good one for cheap that i use...
https://www.amazon.com/Signstek-Coax...gateway&sr=8-3

ChromeJob 04-25-2019 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tk (Post 57947826)
Then you have to convert from HDMI to whatever input your 2-channel amp has.

Chromecast Audio gave you a choice of 3.5mm (via the onboard DAC) or mini-toslink to the DAC of your choice.

It’s trivially easy to buy an HDMI DAC converter or splitter that outputs 2 channel digital or analog.

Since the CC Audio has been discontinued, but the CC is still sold, my suggestion stands.

Aja1 04-25-2019 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 57949612)
Good to hear! I have really enjoyed Tidal on my Integra. For me it is a huge audible difference compared to AirPlay.

Absolutely an improvement! Curious how you set your Integra for audio preference? I have it set on "direct" because I prefer to eliminate as much of the Integra as possible. What do you do?

I will say that the Integra control app with Tidal isn't that great. I wish it was more like the actual app interface.

brireeves629 04-25-2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aja1 (Post 57952726)
Absolutely an improvement! Curious how you set your Integra for audio preference? I have it set on "direct" because I prefer to eliminate as much of the Integra as possible. What do you do?

I will say that the Integra control app with Tidal isn't that great. I wish it was more like the actual app interface.

I listen either to stereo or all channel stereo.

I know what you mean about the app. I have found it easiest to create playlists in the Tidal app, then choosing the playlist through the Integra app.

_tk 04-25-2019 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob (Post 57952682)
It’s trivially easy to buy an HDMI DAC converter or splitter that outputs 2 channel digital or analog.

Since the CC Audio has been discontinued, but the CC is still sold, my suggestion stands.

You'd be better off paying a slight premium for a CC Audio on ebay though. Once you figure in the cost of the CC, a decent HDMI to analog converter, you'd have more plugs, more wires and more cost. And I'm not sure if sound would be any better as the DAC in the CC Audio wasn't horrible.

The market is ripe for a CC Audio replacement. I don't think people realized how nice and easy those things really were.

rocky1 04-25-2019 12:39 PM

I did my cc audio with rca to marantz sr 8002 i have in a small room and works great..

pjp 04-25-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tk (Post 57954262)
You'd be better off paying a slight premium for a CC Audio on ebay though. Once you figure in the cost of the CC, a decent HDMI to analog converter, you'd have more plugs, more wires and more cost. And I'm not sure if sound would be any better as the DAC in the CC Audio wasn't horrible.

The market is ripe for a CC Audio replacement. I don't think people realized how nice and easy those things really were.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky1 (Post 57954276)
I did my cc audio with rca to marantz sr 8002 i have in a small room and works great.

Truer words were never spoken. I love, love, love Chromecast Audio -- have it on a tube-based two channel system, a theater system, and (soon to be) a deck system. Better sound quality than bluetooth, you control it with the convenience of your phone as a remote, and (unlike bluetooth) you can walk away with your phone and it just keeps on playing. Also (although I haven't tried this yet), you can group CA's to play the same content for whole-house audio or partial house audio. I'm using the optical out on one CA into a DAC and that works great also.

As much as I love Chromecast Audio, I'm not sure what bit rate you get out of it for either Tidal or Spotify Premium. Spotify Premium will go up to 320kbps on a smartphone when you select extreme mode, but there are no sound quality controls when streaming through CA and it isn't clear what the default bit rate is (my ears say it's less than 320kbps for Spotify Premium, I don't have Tidal, so can't comment on that). I wish my DAC displayed bit rate, then I would know, but it does not.

torii 04-25-2019 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the app that comes with my bluesound node 2 allows all sorts of music servers to include you name it...

rocky1 04-25-2019 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by torii (Post 57954674)
the app that comes with my bluesound node 2 allows all sorts of music servers to include you name it...

That looks great but bluesound big difference between cca pricewise. Have streaming tidal Etc also to marantz via roon aswell as to oppo in main room.. thru pc or phone.cca is in other room

adjutant 04-27-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paopawdecarabao (Post 57945518)
Bluesound Node 2i

Same here. I can’t imagine it sounding any better. I LOVE the audio quality. Never had a drop off

ChromeJob 04-28-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjp (Post 57954640)
Truer words were never spoken. I love, love, love Chromecast Audio -- have it on a tube-based two channel system, a theater system, and (soon to be) a deck system. Better sound quality than bluetooth, you control it with the convenience of your phone as a remote, and (unlike bluetooth) you can walk away with your phone and it just keeps on playing. Also (although I haven't tried this yet), you can group CA's to play the same content for whole-house audio or partial house audio. I'm using the optical out on one CA into a DAC and that works great also.
As much as I love Chromecast Audio, I'm not sure what bit rate you get out of it for either Tidal or Spotify Premium. Spotify Premium will go up to 320kbps on a smartphone when you select extreme mode, but there are no sound quality controls when streaming through CA and it isn't clear what the default bit rate is (my ears say it's less than 320kbps for Spotify Premium, I don't have Tidal, so can't comment on that). I wish my DAC displayed bit rate, then I would know, but it does not.

All true, it is useful for more than just “adding wi-fi audio capability to non-wireless speakers.” I don’t know the specs, but you can enable “high quality audio” on a CCA in teh Google Home app; “high quality audio” is enabled automagically if you use the TOSlink connection. Both my 1gen CC and CCA send PCM to my AVR and the AVR doesn’t indicate bitrate. :-\

You can group a CCA with other speakers in Google Home, but that capability was extended to all but the first gen of Chromecasts last year. The CCA, for the same $35, was an economical way to provide multiroom wi-fi playback to older speakers, absolutely agree with others on that. I got one for $15 over the holidays from Google, I now wish i’d bought a few.… :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tk (Post 57954262)

Perhaps, but if the cost of a CCA from some vendor exceeds a Chromecast and DAC from Monoprice ($15 when I was considering one last year), then I’m skeptical. An HDMI CC can be repurposed, while a CCA is pretty much single purpose. YMMV.

pjp 04-28-2019 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChromeJob (Post 57966282)
I don’t know the specs, but you can enable “high quality audio” on a CCA in teh Google Home app; “high quality audio” is enabled automagically if you use the TOSlink connection.

Good info in your post. Do you know where the high quality audio setting is in the Google Home app? I only see "Equalizer" and "Group delay correction" as sound options on the CCA (and only "Group delay correction" on my regular (non-audio) Chromecast).