Good Quality Analog Cables from DAC to Amp? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
In my use they last for years and years without issue. They also have a lifetime warranty, by the way.

I like Amazon/Mediabridge too.

--

P.S. The Monoprice RCAs are nickle plated which is actually superior to thin layers of gold plating because it is a harder metal and less prone to scraping off and nearly as good in terms of not oxidizing.
That is so true, some I got from Amazon, even it's gold plated, they try to be so cheap and make the metal shield so thin it bend out of shape easily. But it's gold color!!! I much rather them just use the silver color and make it a little thicker so it hold onto the female side stronger. Nothing beats a good tight secure fit.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 43
You guys are a HOOT!!!!

OR

You would be IF..............

Well, like they say, "When you got a bunch of clowns, you are gonna have a Circus!!!!!"

Have a good life, I'm outta here.
God Bless,
Wayne
post #33 of 42 Old 05-24-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
I think you are seeing a pattern in the responses, which is summarized as - Don't get carried away!

Though in all honesty, up to $50 is within reason.

Here is what I have found -

Bad Cables are Bad.
Good Cables are Good.
Great Cables are Good.

Notice anything unusual about that?

The SVS SoundPath RCA ($49.98/pair, 1 meter) seem as good as anyone could need -

https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...rconnect-cable

Bluejean
is very well regarded in custom make cables -

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

Using Belden 1505F wire, we have $42 for a 3ft pair covered in Techflex jacket.

Using Belden 1694A wire, we have $39.75 for a 3ft pair covered in Techflex jacket (assorted colors).

Audioquest Evergreen RCA-RCA 1-Meter - $39.95/set -

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...QEVRR&opt=2323

But in all honesty, you probably don't need more than this -

KabelDirekt RCA Stereo Cable/Cord - 3 ft/feet - $9.49/pr -

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-A...dp/B00DI89I04/

OFC wire, Double Shielding, Gold Plated Contacts.

FosPower (2 Pack) 2 RCA M/M Stereo Audio Cable [24K Gold Plated | Copper Core] Premium Sound Quality Plug - 3FT - $14.99 (2 pair) -

https://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Ster...dp/B01NBVMJOV/

In a survey I did on this forum and on a UK forum, most people pay between 3% and 5% of their system price for All Wire and Cable. I can provide charts if interested. Systems range up to $55,000 in the US and up to £25,000 in the UK.

It might be of value to spend a bit more in a very expensive system because that system is likely to be more transparent and revealing. But there are bounds of reason, in a thread trying to find the most expensive Speaker wire, someone came up with an 8ft pair that were on sale for $25,000. Much like cocaine, $25,000 speaker cables are God's way of telling you that you have TOO MUCH MONEY.

Stay within bounds of reason.

Some will tell you NOT to buy expensive cable, I take a more libertarian approach, do what you want, just - Don't get too carried away.

RCA feed a high impedance so internal cable resistance is swamped by the 47k ohm input of the amp. So, as long as the build quality and reliability are there, and as long as the shielding is good, that's all you need. As the thread seems to be going, most feel it is ridiculous to pay a fortune for RCA cables beyond nice appearance, and general reliability.

Still ...your money ...your system ...your life ...do what you want.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 05-24-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 05-24-2019, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post

Well, like they say, "When you got a bunch of clowns, you are gonna have a Circus!!!!!"
I would think a circus act where they overpay for speaker connectors would be pretty boring. How would that act play out, anyway? Would one Clown hold up a shiny expensive set of AuralExpedition Oregano RCA cables, then the 2nd clown goes and pulls out a string of connected $100 bills from his sleeve a hundred feet long?
Russdawg1 likes this.
post #35 of 42 Old 05-25-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't feel it is my job to tell people what the Can and Can't do. Rather as a responder, it is my job to tell them what can be done, and to include a range of options and let them make up their own mind.

If someone wants to spend $50 on RCA cable, I would advise against it, but it is still their choice. Myself, I don't see why you would need more than this -

KableDirekt RCA Stereo Cable, OFC Copper, Double Shielded, Gold Plated, 3ft - $9.50 -

https://www.amazon.com/KabelDirekt-A...dp/B00DI89I04/

But at the same time, if you want to spend the money, I see nothing wrong with this -

Audioquest Evergreen RCA-RCA 1-Meter - $39.95/set -

https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinf...QEVRR&opt=2323

But when you break above 3-Digits, all I can do is shake my head and say -

...your money ...your system ...your life ...do what you want.

Here is what people typically spend for ALL WIRE AND CABLE -

USA -

UK -

Not how much Should you pay, what Did you pay?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...d-you-pay.html

As you can see from the Charts, most people pay between 1% and 4% of the system cost for All Wire and Cable. In my system I have about 4%.

The constant bickering that occurs in every Wire and Cable post is pointless and unproductive, partly because it has been said 1,000 time before.

Answer the question as asked, supply a range of options, express your opinion as to the wisdom of the OP's suggested path, and then let him make his own decision. Right or Wrong, let him make his own decision.

Or ...at least... that's my opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 05-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.
post #36 of 42 Old 05-25-2019, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Clever, genius marketing:

Quote:
This "X% of your system should be spent on" rule was started by Monster Cable, for those of you who don't know. They realized that by telling people "Everyone knows you should spend 10% of your budget on the speaker wire and interconnects" they'd have a much easier time fleecing rich people who bought expensive systems. Clever.

In truth, what you need to concern yourself with on speaker wires [mostly just what gauge you need for a given run and impedance load as per, say, Roger Russell's guidelines] is the same if you are buying $200 speakers or $200K speakers.

But the truth doesn't help their business model, does it.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-25-2019 at 02:36 PM.
post #37 of 42 Old 05-25-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Clever, genius marketing:
Yeah, if they are claiming you need to spend 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% or more, it is cleaver marketing. Well, more like fraud than clever marketing.

But my charts show that regardless of system price, most people Actually spend between 1% and 4%. Four Percent of $10,000 is only $400 for All Wire and Cable. One Percent is $100. For all wire and cable neither of those is ridiculously high. Perhaps unnecessarily high, but not ridiculously high.

If you look at the charts, there is a guy with a $15,000 system who spend 1%, There is a guy with a +$50,000 system who spend 1%.

There is no one absolute guideline. I use the 3% to 5% range simply to frame the budget, once you have some budget perspective, you can then make decision to spend more or less as you see fit. That's not my call to make.

As I said, I'm not here to tell people you CAN'T do this or you CAN'T do that. I'm here to give them a range of options, and the information and perspective necessary to make the right decision for themselves.

For example, the $10 cables I suggested are Oxygen Free Copper that is Double Shielded and with Gold Plated Contacts. When I examine realistically what I need, I can't see that I need more than that. Is long grain copper really going to make that much difference? I don't see how.

In another thread I analyzed Speaker wire for every parameter available - resistance, reactance, inductance, capacitance, and every thing else I could think of, and assuming reasonable size wire, none of those parameter had any effect on what you hear. Though when you get up around 50 feet or more inductive reactance become significant and start to trim away at high frequencies. But for that to reach a significant dB level, it takes considerably more than 50ft (13ga/2.62mm²). If I recall, all reactance/resistance combined was about -1.3dB, though that is from memory.

RCA cables are generally rated as functional up to 100ft. So, 3ft, 6ft, 10ft, 12ft, etc... are insignificant.

Now if someone wants to spend up to $100 on RCA cable, though I will offer alternatives, that up to them. Not my system, not my wallet, not my life ... do as you please. But, while I will offer Cables in their price range, as I said, I will also offer alternatives are lower and under certain circumstances at higher prices. As to the advisability of spending that kind of money, I will simply offer - Bounds Of Reason, and Don't Get Carried Away. Then, with a range of information, the Original Poster or anyone seeking advice, and make a reasonably informed decision.

The goal should be to help the Original Poster find Wire and Cable within the parameters he/she laid out.

I'm not here to judge, but to simply offer options and reasons why. That ...to me... seems the most helpful.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 05-25-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #38 of 42 Old 05-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Another vote for Blue Jeans with regard to RCA and XLR cables, even though they as well can be priced a bit high for my tastes.

The only time I found expensive cables to be really worthwhile was when analog component video was the best display connector available. It was easy to tell the difference between a run-of-the-mill $30 cable and a $100 Monster cable.
post #39 of 42 Old 05-26-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Another vote for Blue Jeans with regard to RCA and XLR cables, even though they as well can be priced a bit high for my tastes.

The only time I found expensive cables to be really worthwhile was when analog component video was the best display connector available. It was easy to tell the difference between a run-of-the-mill $30 cable and a $100 Monster cable.
Be careful with that analogy though.
Many years ago I read an experiment conducted by an audio club using an old fashioned CRT TV. They use various length of 120v power cable as video cables. Yep, it passed the signal very well.
post #40 of 42 Old 05-26-2019, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Be careful with that analogy though.
Many years ago I read an experiment conducted by an audio club using an old fashioned CRT TV. They use various length of 120v power cable as video cables. Yep, it passed the signal very well.
Though my experience was admittedly limited with cable brands, I don't feel the need to be "careful" about relaying the difference I noticed over a decade ago with component cables connected to a Sony XBR CRT.
post #41 of 42 Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
It is true that analog video is harder to do properly with any old cable, compared to audio, however there are many even under $30 which will do fine.
post #42 of 42 Old 05-30-2019, 06:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I've had fantastic luck with Monoprice cables. I've never had any pop off on their own. In fact, I've found the connector to be quite tight. ...

But I've used these and they are great:
[URL="https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346"]https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346[/URL
I have also used many of these and yet I just picked up a couple of 1.5’ sets and the connectors were very loose on on one of the cables. FYI I ordered these on Amazon and they’re unable to be returned. I ended up with these. I know I went a little over board however I could have spent way more if I wanted to go deeper down the rabbit hole.

HT TCL 55P605, Mitsubishi HC6500, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic LX1000, Firestick 4K, ATV4K, Onkyo TX-NR787, DefTech, Klipsch, Martin Logan, SVS @ 5.2.4 Atmos
Stereo Sansui SR-4050, Dual 1219, Oppo UDP 203, Emotiva PT-100, Be One Audio MA100, Polk Monitor 10, SVS SB1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page