Good Quality Analog Cables from DAC to Amp? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #1 of 42 Old 04-24-2019, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Quality Analog Cables from DAC to Amp?

Starting to get back into the Hi-Fi stereo world. So, I am out of touch a bit. Just recently purchased a Schiit DAC and looking for a good quality brand/model 1mm RCA Analog type to run from the DAC to my integrated amp. Looking in the $50 or under range.

Thanks in advance

Scott

Last edited by scott_francis; 04-24-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I don't think RCA cable is that important, I just look at how big the cable, I won't use those come with the DVD players or some other stuffs that is very small in diameter. Just get those that are thicker and it should be good enough.

I myself just buy from Amazon. The complain is the connectors tend to be loose and won't fit tight enough. I have no complain on the sound quality of the cables.
scott_francis likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #3 of 42 Old 04-24-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I like the SVS SoundPath RCA cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 04-24-2019, 04:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3325 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
I use these from my laptop to dac to amp. https://www.amazon.com/0-5-Foot-Dire...EW2HDZYPA841CR

I also have wireworld/audioquest/xlo/ethereal/ youname it many rca's....

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #5 of 42 Old 04-24-2019, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1482 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Mediabridge or Monoprice. Buy nothing that’s more expensive unless you like wasting money.

Leave it at 8 ohms and call it a day :)
post #6 of 42 Old 04-25-2019, 05:21 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I like bluejeans cable. The only problem with their RCA cables is that the connectors are fairly long (3") and the cables are stiff, so they don't easily bend down from the back of your device(s). Very robust.
post #7 of 42 Old 04-25-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I see a recommendation above for Monoprice but I disagree majorly. Their actual cable itself works fine, but the connectors are generally very loose to the point where I got a bunch of cables from them and threw them out because they would pop off on their own. The cable itself works but is also very stiff. I think it's worth paying a bit more for something like Blue Jeans Cable or the cheaper Audioquest cables (they have some relatively cheap cables and they also have some pretty expensive ones - don't bother with the pretty expensive ones). Also just about anything using Belden, Canare or Gepco cable should be good. You can check Markertek for some of that stuff.
scott_francis and bear123 like this.
post #8 of 42 Old 04-25-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Always wanted to try Tweaker Man's DIY silver ultra high-end interconnects to see if I can hear a difference. Can probably make for under $100

Might be a fun project if you have some time

"Reckon I get me some fried po'taters mmm hmmm"
post #9 of 42 Old 04-25-2019, 07:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_francis View Post
Starting to get back into the Hi-Fi stereo world. So, I am out of touch a bit. Just recently purchased a Schiit DAC and looking for a good quality brand/model 1mm RCA Analog type to run from the DAC to my integrated amp. Looking in the $50 or under range.

Thanks in advance

Scott
And competently made RCA cables are going to sound like any other competently made RCA cables.

Save your money.
post #10 of 42 Old 04-25-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It's really not that critical, just don't use those that comes with the devices which are very thin. Just get any thicker coax type and it's good enough. Just make sure the connectors fit tight and won't fell off.

The more important thing is DO NOT get cable longer than is needed. This is very important if you worry about cable capacitance, loss and all that.(not that I think it's that important) I use a lot of the 18" cables if they can reach.

For example, the best cable is say 15pF/ft. The worst cable is 40pF/ft. If you use 18" of the worst cable, it will be 60pF of capacitance total. By comparing to 6ft of the best of the best cable, it's 6 X 15pF = 75pF total. so an 18" bad cable has lower capacitance than the best and most expensive 6ft cable. This is the same as resistance, inductance and everything else. Keep it reasonably short and don't worry about it.

Don't listen to people that claim what metal the cable is made of and all, it doesn't matter. Input impedance of preamp and power amps are very high, you don't worry about needing a lot of drive. Most modern devices ( DAC, preamps etc.) have very low output impedance, a little capacitance, inductance etc. will not affect the sound. These preamp low level signal is nothing like speaker cables that has to drive down to 2ohm load where inductance becomes importance. It's NOT that critical.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 04-25-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #11 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Check out Signal Cables Silver Resolution.
Tex_Thai and emcdade like this.
post #12 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I've had fantastic luck with Monoprice cables. I've never had any pop off on their own. In fact, I've found the connector to be quite tight.

If you want to get fancy, get two of these: (sold individually so you may want to get some colored tape to differentiate each end)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18534

Those ship free. Remember, you'll need two.

But I've used these and they are great:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346

I made a pair of these and they are somewhere in-between the above two options, again, you'll need two:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21679

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #13 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good Quality Analog Cables from DAC to Amp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fischer View Post
Check out Signal Cables Silver Resolution.

Starting at $289 for a pair of 6ft speaker cables?

No thanks.

Last edited by Russdawg1; 05-23-2019 at 10:38 AM.
post #14 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:34 AM
_tk
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Amazon Basics will do everything you need them to do. Great cables for the money.
post #15 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 45
^^^^^^^^^^ Russdawg1, that was a completely trash comment and totally off base!!!!!
Tom Fischer recommended some VERY good interconnect cables to the OP, Signal Cables Silver Resolution are excellent interconnects, and they start at $79 a pair you were WAY OFF sir!!!!!!!
Frank over at Signal Cables is an excellent resource and can help whomever contacts him, is not selling snake oil, but good quality products.
When someone recommends his product to another, even if it is not your cup of tea, you should be kind enough to get your facts right.
And NOT trash some one's business erroneously.
Be FAIR.
Nobody mentioned looking for 6 ft interconnects anyway (which are $159 a pair).
I am very happy with my Signal Cables, Silver Resolution cables are highly recommended, I second what Mr. Fischer said!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
emcdade likes this.
post #16 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Thai View Post
^^^^^^^^^^ Russdawg1, that was a completely trash comment and totally off base!!!!!
Tom Fischer recommended some VERY good interconnect cables to the OP, Signal Cables Silver Resolution are excellent interconnects, and they start at $79 a pair you were WAY OFF sir!!!!!!!
Frank over at Signal Cables is an excellent resource and can help whomever contacts him, is not selling snake oil, but good quality products.
When someone recommends his product to another, even if it is not your cup of tea, you should be kind enough to get your facts right.
Be FAIR.
I am very happy with my Signal Cables, Silver Resolution cables are highly recommended, I second what Mr. Fischer said!!!!!
God Bless,
Wayne
If someone is asking for good cables under $50, it is ridiculous to suggest something 3x more expensive. The suggestion doesn't belong in this thread at all.
Where was the product trashed BTW? All I saw was someone say, "No Thanks".

Vinyl, tape, digital... I don't care as long as I can listen to my music...
post #17 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Be FAIR.
God Bless,
Wayne
Well, he gave price for a 6 ft pair of speaker cables at $289 and not interconnect RCA cables that starts at $79 for 2 ft, on sale it seems, and $20 per foot for longer cables.
OP was looking for cables less than $50, I believe.
I am glad you like your silver cables.
But there is no good reason to buy silver wired cables and other good cables were recommended, right.
post #18 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta
I've had fantastic luck with Monoprice cables. …
Same here. I have a bunch of them and I've had no issues with any of them.
Out-Of-Phase and Muphasta like this.
post #19 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 12:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Be FAIR.

God Bless,

Wayne

Glad you are happy with your overpriced cable.

Not once did I say they are trash.

If you think they are worth it, then have at it.

I said I would not like to purchase a pair of 6ft speaker cable for $289. Note how I said speaker cable. I read the website. The RCA cables are also overprice too while we’re at it.

There’s no reason for cable to cost this much.

So why don’t you be FAIR and respect my choice of not wanting to grossly overspend on a product that doesn’t provide any audible difference in sound.

post #20 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_francis View Post
1mm RCA Analog type to run from the DAC to my integrated amp. Looking in the $50 or under range.
A 1 mm cable is a bit short, only 0.039 inches. How about 1 meter instead?

AudioQuest offers high-quality interconnects at reasonable prices. A 1-meter Tower is $29.95 with free shipping at Amazon.

Music room: Cary SLI-80 tube integrated amplifier, McIntosh MA6500 integrated amplifier, Quad 99 preamp, Quad 909 power amp, Acoustic Research AR9 loudspeakers, Yamaha CD-N500 CD player, Teac UD-503 DSD DAC, Phase Linear 8000II linear-tracking turntable.
Theater room: Panasonic 65S60 plasma television; Yamaha RX-A2020 (preamp section); Adcom GFA-5503 and GFA-5400 amplifiers; Polk LSi25, LSiC, and LSiF/X loudspeaker system; Velodyne FSR-18 servo-subwoofer.
post #21 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post
A 1 mm cable is a bit short, only 0.039 inches. How about 1 meter instead?

AudioQuest offers high-quality interconnects at reasonable prices. A 1-meter Tower is $29.95 with free shipping at Amazon.
Duly noted on the length and yes I agree the more research I have done the more I think AudioQuest provides entry into the higher quality interconnects without breaking the bank.

Thanks.

Scott
post #22 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4672 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
I'm a critical listener and performance is very important to me, so I use these because they are audibly indistinguishable from the best.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-23-2019 at 07:08 PM.
post #23 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 07:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I'm a critical listener and performance is very important to me, so I use these because they are audibly indistinguishable from the best.
That's even too cheap for El Cheapo like me. I say I'll go with Amazon express for those $7 a pair type. That's what I use, many of them. Only complain is the connector can get loose(cheap).

Last edited by alan0354; 05-23-2019 at 08:02 PM.
post #24 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 08:21 PM

I also use a $1 HDMI cord I bought at The Dollar Tree Store, not that I needed one, but I wanted to be able to say I use $1 cords, both analog and digital.

Both are flawless.
post #25 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 PM

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 195
RCA cables that start at $79? There's a word for that, "Oniomania"

My most recent set of RCA cables purchased were I think RocketFish brand found on clearance at Best Buy for like $8. I don't see any logical reason to go any fancier than what you can get from KabelDirekt or similar.
Graustark likes this.
post #26 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I also use a $1 HDMI cord I bought at The Dollar Tree Store, not that I needed one, but I wanted to be able to say I use $1 cords, both analog and digital.

Both are flawless.
Hey, at least my Amazon express have some fake gold connectors and fatter cables. That's can fool people to think it's more expensive!!!

post #27 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
Hey, at least my Amazon express have some fake gold connectors and fatter cables. That's can fool people to think it's more expensive!!!
Fake gold? You don't think it might be 10k and at a few microns thick?
Yes, fooling people is good.
post #28 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
.... Only complain is the connector can get loose(cheap).
Then stop playing with it. Just leave it alone.
post #29 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 410
I use Straightwire Expressivo interconnects from DAC to Pre and also from Pre to amps. They are great, much better than the Canare and SVS ones I had on hand.

https://www.thecableco.com/cables/in...nect-pair.html
post #30 of 42 Old 05-23-2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJ View Post
Then stop playing with it. Just leave it alone.
In my use they last for years and years without issue. They also have a lifetime warranty, by the way.

I like Amazon/Mediabridge too.

--

P.S. The Monoprice RCAs are nickel plated which is actually superior to thin layers of gold plating because it is a harder metal hence less prone to scraping off, plus it is nearly as good in terms of not oxidizing.

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-23-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page