Good quality USB cable from laptop to DAC - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

post #241 of 242 Old 05-01-2019, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Surprise surprise, an ad hominem attack from someone who doesn't even understand how USB audio works.

I'm sure you "totally owned him" in the comment section that one time 5 years ago though. Way to go dude, and thanks for sharing.
"That one time 5 years ago"?

I had never read that article by computer scientist Ambras, nor the Lavorgna one, until yesterday. I have never commented below them either, ever. [Nor read the other readers' comments for that matter.]

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-01-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 242 Old 05-01-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
I seem to be quoting this ex-Microsoft guy [a co-developer of, among other things, technologies used in HD DVD], below, more and more. . . . Huh, maybe he is finally starting to see the light?

"While differences still show, they are so, so down in level as to not ever be an audible concern. . . .

So as usual, we can show measurements that bother the eye but not the ear.

Summary

For the first time anywhere, we have shown that we can change the analog output of a DAC by changing how we feed it in digital domain in USB. Shorter cables provided improvements that were visible. Alas, two other factors conspire to make this non-news:

1. Schiit Modi 2 that I have tested is horribly designed. It is sensitive to both USB power and data noise. Even a cheaper DAC like Behringer shows that such sensitivity is due to poor DAC design than anything to do with USB cables. The Behringer performance is better than Schiit with any cable and shows no need for tweaking the USB cable.

2. I have hugely magnified these differences. Without this magnification, the differences even with lousy DACs like Schiit are literally in the noise.

So nothing here explains the fantastical subjective differences people report between USB cables. I suggest those people conduct some blind test to get to the truth of whether they are hearing any differences especially if they are using better DACs than Schiit Modi 2."

Source: "Do USB cables make a difference?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page