would vinyl sound better than MQA? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #31 of 36 Old 04-30-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5947 Post(s)
Liked: 4261
As with all audio evaluations the way to do it properly isn't to hold a low quality cell phone mic up in the air and move it around during the recording..
It should be done in the electrical domain, level matched, and not perceptually compressed by Youtube's FLV process. [I suspect the cellphone uses perceptual codec compression too, plus on top of that dynamic range compression, AGC, so any level changes and "punch" we hear can not reliably be attributed CD vs. LP, even if we pretend to think the sound on the LP and CD came from the same master which it hardly ever does.
---

If one has a gun to their head and has no means to use anything other than a cellphone, here's how you do it:

A. Set up the cellphone on a rigid tripod and don't move it at all between recording sessions. Aim the mic forward towards the sound source, not away from it towards you.
B. Close the room windows, turn off the building HVAC, hard drives, fans, and refrigerators, etc..
C. To avoid recording the room acoustics, at least as much as possible (a tremendous coloration), move the speakers together as much as possible and get that mic up close in the same typical triangular placement.
D. The recording distance should be the minimum possible such that the sound of the tweeter, (midrange), and woofer are still well integrated [i.e., if you are too close you hear too much tweet or too much woof], usually this means a foot or two depending on the driver spacing.
E. If your cellphone can take external mics, do that.
F. If you have an option for manual record level instead of AGC, use that.
G. If the cell phone has either a wind cut filter or a noise reduction circuit, turn them off.
H. Pray

Also don't forget to use perfect speakers and a perfect cartridge, otherwise those things may alter the recording.

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-30-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 05-01-2019, 10:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
This X10

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tk View Post

It depends...
post #33 of 36 Old 05-02-2019, 06:45 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Here's one of the best video explanations of digital audio and the myths surrounding it. It runs over 24 minutes but well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
CruelInventions and m. zillch like this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 Old 05-02-2019, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 863
I had tidal for 3/4 months and streamed MQA and it’s absolutely as good as any of my remastered CDS, very rich & punchy.., I was mildly surprised & impressed.

However, I like vinyl also & own 2 turntables & prefer a well recorded record.. has more warmth & sounds bit more natural to me. But Tidal MQA is the best streamed music I have ever listened to. Enjoy all
shivaji and Scotth3886 like this.

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #35 of 36 Old 05-02-2019, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 4226 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I had tidal for 3/4 months and streamed MQA and it’s absolutely as good as any of my remastered CDS, very rich & punchy.., I was mildly surprised & impressed.

However, I like vinyl also & own 2 turntables & prefer a well recorded record.. has more warmth & sounds bit more natural to me. But Tidal MQA is the best streamed music I have ever listened to. Enjoy all

I freely admit that I've become a convert. It's Tidal almost all of the time. It's just too easy not to. BUT, when I switch to LPs for a while. Tidal still is a ways behind.

disclaimer: IMO (In My Opinion)
shivaji and yanks1 like this.
post #36 of 36 Old 05-02-2019, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked: 2484
I am a fan of MQA, DSD, etc. but it has more to do with how well it was recorded, mixed, and mastered IMO.
vzphoneman likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page