AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   2-Channel Audio (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/)
-   -   Setting up a Zone 2 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3067044-setting-up-zone-2-a.html)

derekmoore 05-11-2019 08:58 AM

Setting up a Zone 2

I'm looking for input and advice regarding adding a 2nd set of speakers for two channel playback as a separate zone, which will mostly be used in conjunction with zone 1.

My situation is this; I have an open floor plan house. My main system is on one corner of the house and I recently set up a pool table in the opposite corner of the house. In between the two spaces is a mostly open kitchen. Currently, I play vinyl on the main system, and just crank it up when we want to play pool. This is fine, but does not provide the best of sound and of course it's pretty loud for anyone who might be in the kitchen or main living area.

So I'm thinking I'd like to add two speakers in the pool table area. Most of the time I would have it playing the same source as the main system, although occasionally I could see wanting each to play a different source. It is a Denon 4308ci with multi zone capabilities. However, running hard wire to the area is not very feasible. Possible perhaps but not easy in any way. So I'm wondering about a wireless solution.

What are the options I should be considering?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

m. zillch 05-11-2019 11:31 AM

You could add a wireless transmitter to the Denon's RCA zone outs and then convert it back to a wired out pair of RCAs with a receiver such as, for example, this combo:
https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...-audio-adapter

I have not used this specific one [I have others but they no longer exist on the market] but SVS is a good brand. The transmission range varies and can work amazingly well through some building surfaces but not all.

In the receiving room/zone you would connect the wireless receiver's output to a stereo amplifier (or receiver) which powers that room/zone's speakers.

derekmoore 05-11-2019 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58032636)
You could add a wireless transmitter to the Denon's RCA zone outs and then convert it back to a wired out pair of RCAs with a receiver such as, for example, this combo:
https://www.svsound.com/products/sou...-audio-adapter

I have not used this specific one [I have others but they no longer exist on the market] but SVS is a good brand. The transmission range varies and can work amazingly well through some building surfaces but not all.

In the receiving room/zone you would connect the wireless receiver's output to a stereo amplifier (or receiver) which powers that room/zone's speakers.

Thanks for that suggestion. I think something like this is the missing link I needed to open up speaker options.

A few more questions if you don't mind. In this case I would use the pre-outs from my Denon to the SVS adapter, correct?
The other/receiving side of the adaptor would then feed into an amp, integrated amp, AVR, or powered speakers I presume.

I'd be inclined to go with powered speakers for minimalist purposes, (read WAF), but space is also an issue. Speakers will be bookshelves, and reside sitting on an actual bookshelf. So front ported or sealed would be preferred. The lower the extension the better but size is a factor. Something capable of 40ish htz? Is that possible?

If a good argument could be had to add an integrated amp or AVR and non powered speakers, I'd be open to hear it. I'm thinking some added DSP and ability to add another sub, (don't tell the misses please), are too reasons to go this route for starters.

I'd like to keep the budget around 1K. Less is better of course but it's not a firm ceiling either. I'm also willing to purchase used with a reasonable amount of patience for a great value.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I always respect your advice BTW. You are financially sensible and back up your statements with sourced facts and or personal experience which I've appreciated from lurking over the years.

Also do you know how the svs wireless product compares to the Outlaw? https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html

IIRC, the previous version of this Outlaw was fairly well regarded, no?

Thanks again.

brireeves629 05-11-2019 09:23 PM

The only issue I see with this device is that it requires “line of site” when connecting. Did you say these were separate rooms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m. zillch 05-11-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58033948)
In this case I would use the pre-outs from my Denon to the SVS adapter, correct?

Yes, that should work, assuming you can set the volume appropriately. These types of devices take in either line out, or "rec. out" from the main system. [Those are usually at a fixed level.]

They also take pre-out, headphone jack out, or variable zone out but you need to optimize the level going to them. If the signal is too high they distort the sound and if it is too low there is background hiss heard in the receiving end.
If the main Denon has variable zone out RCAs that will let you set the level independently from the main room's volume.

Quote:

The other/receiving side of the adaptor would then feed into an amp, integrated amp, AVR, or powered speakers I presume.

Yup.
Quote:

I'd be inclined to go with powered speakers for minimalist purposes, (read WAF), but space is also an issue. Speakers will be bookshelves, and reside sitting on an actual bookshelf. So front ported or sealed would be preferred.

Rear ports usually work fine as long as they have two inches to "breathe" on a small speaker and 3-4 inches on a large port on large speakers.

Quote:

Something capable of 40ish htz? Is that possible?.

If they are large enough, like a JBL LSR308, yes.

Quote:

If a good argument could be had to add an integrated amp or AVR and non powered speakers, I'd be open to hear it. [/URL]

Both options should work.

Quote:

I'm thinking some added DSP and ability to add another sub, (don't tell the misses please), are too reasons to go this route for starters.[/URL]

Good points. Yes, using passive speakers and an AVR/amp will be more flexible and offer easier sub integration [assuming it has a "sub out"].

Quote:

I always respect your advice BTW. You are financially sensible and back up your statements with sourced facts and or personal experience which I've appreciated from lurking over the years.

Thanks.

Quote:

Also do you know how the svs wireless product compares to the Outlaw? https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW4.html

IIRC, the previous version of this Outlaw was fairly well regarded, no?

My guess is the Outlaw is good too and may even use nearly the same internal electronics.

"Wireless Range Up To: 70ft (130ft w/Line of Sight)" -Outlaw

Be sure to keep your receipts and packing material in case the transmission range they claim doesn't work out in your house and you need to return them.

P.S. There are pricier ones claiming greater range too. I don't have any experience with them but here's a random example I googled up [so don't take it as an endorsement or anything]:
https://www.amazon.com/TP-WIRELESS-D...2004&s=gateway

derekmoore 05-12-2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 58034582)
The only issue I see with this device is that it requires “line of site” when connecting. Did you say these were separate rooms?

They are separate areas, but open to each other to a large extent. Although I would not have a line of site in this case. The Outlaw claims 50-70ft without line of site. Given the good reputation of their previous generation I think I will try it first.

derekmoore 05-12-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58034736)
Yes, that should work, assuming you can set the volume appropriately.

Thank you for such a detailed reply!

Yes, this Denon has separate volume settings by zone.

I'm a bit torn at this point about which direction to go. On one hand I like the simplicity of the powered speaker idea, but I have no experience with them. Are you aware of any sources for researching options/reviews you could point me to for research?

On the other hand, I like the idea of having access to more (better?) speaker options along with the flexibility external power would provide. The downside with this approach being space related. So I'd have to keep it small and aesthetically pleasing to the misses. I have little background knowledge of options for amps/integrated amps. I'm aware Emotiva has an option or two but I'm sure there must be other alternatives. Can you point me to a good starting point for researching options here?

brireeves629 05-12-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58035424)
Thank you for such a detailed reply!

Yes, this Denon has separate volume settings by zone.

I'm a bit torn at this point about which direction to go. On one hand I like the simplicity of the powered speaker idea, but I have no experience with them. Are you aware of any sources for researching options/reviews you could point me to for research?

On the other hand, I like the idea of having access to more (better?) speaker options along with the flexibility external power would provide. The downside with this approach being space related. So I'd have to keep it small and aesthetically pleasing to the misses. I have little background knowledge of options for amps/integrated amps. I'm aware Emotiva has an option or two but I'm sure there must be other alternatives. Can you point me to a good starting point for researching options here?

Powered speakers are a great cost saving option, but be careful. Make sure the inputs included are compatible with what you wish to do now and in the future. I did a lot of research myself on Integrated Amps and I found a lot of Stereo Receivers both have more input options and Power (manufacturer rated) than Integrated Amplifiers for a lot less money. I’m not sure why this is? This is what I got for my bedroom:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-afkaso...SABEgKgOvD_BwE

It includes 4K HDMI which is rare to find in a stereo receiver or Integrated Amp, but for me is perfect to connect our TV to.

m. zillch 05-12-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58035424)
On one hand I like the simplicity of the powered speaker idea, but I have no experience with them. Are you aware of any sources for researching options/reviews you could point me to for research?

I used to sell this stuff but that was over a decade ago so I've lost touch with what's out there, so sorry, I can't get more detailed with specific brands. I also find that the internet is a hodge-podge of both good and bad information. This would include so-called "expert" reviewers and magazines unfortunately. I think if I were in your shoes I'd buy a receiver [even though it sounds like only stereo is needed I wouldn't discount the possibility of buying an AVR since they are amazingly affordable for the feature set they provide: a real work horse] from a brand like Denon or Yamaha [I'm not as well versed on Emotiva and Outlaw but have never heard anything but good reports on them] and bookshelf passive speakers from brands like SVS (Prime) and Polk.

When it comes to audio systems the speakers, the room, and the placement and aiming of the speakers in the room are paramount. I always check the frequency response curves from third party reviewers using professional measurement gear in laboratory settings like the NRC, whom I trust [I don't trust the manufacturers themselves] to get an idea of the speakers tonal accuracy from the bass to the treble. One of the best databases I know of is here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

Here's what to look for in the their frequency response graphs:

- The goal with these frequency response charts is to have a dead flat line from 20-20kHz. Nobody has ever succeeded at that! [Plus the room acoustics will mess it up anyways.]
- If you plan to add a sub, only worry about frequencies above about 60/80 Hz. If truly tiny speakers are needed [say the size of a lunch box or smaller], then only going down to 100Hz is OK, but plan on mounting the sub in the front and center of the room because you may notice the direction the 80-100Hz frequencies are coming from, so they ought to be near the front main speakers.]
- Don't worry as much about where the sound frequency range (or "bandwidth") rolls off (suddenly falls 3 dB or more from the main plateau level, like a cliff) and worry more about the size of the peaks and dips or the "tolerance window" across the entire main plateau, especially in the more critical frequency range, say from 100Hz to 10 KHz. This is where the ear is most critical of peaks and dips.
- focus on the flatness (hoping for the smallest possible) tolerance window, +/- dB error from the main plateau, as possible for your price range. Here are some rough examples:

100-10kHz +/- 3dB [the sound has peaks and dips but no greater than a 3 dB window, up and down, from the bass range (100Hz) to the treble (10kHz): an outstandingly accurate speaker and usually very pricey

100-10kHz +/- 5dB: quite good but usually much more affordable

100-10kHz +/- 7dB: OK, more run of the mill

100-10kHz +/- 10dB: not so hot but tolerable for background music or non-critical listening. Avoid unless looking for very affordable options.

100-10kHz +/- 15-20dB: really bad and should be avoided by all.

-

derekmoore 05-12-2019 11:16 AM

/\ Thanks for another detailed response again.

An AVR could work here. I'd just need to keep it small and/or out of sight. Which creates a new set of complications. I also bounced my ideas off the Mrs and she didn't like the idea of another receiver/amp on display.

So I'm leaning towards active speakers but most of what I'm finding are all wireless ready options with built in streaming, Bluetooth and other capabilities that I don't really need, but could rationalize I suppose.
I've been searching for a list of active speakers but not coming up with much that is very comprehensiv

From what I've found so far, I think the Dynaudio Xeo2 appears to be a solid contender. With RCA connections and impressive spec's (albeit Mfgr stated specs that is). I'll dig on the site you recommended to see if I can verify the performance of these speakers.

I've also looked at the KEF LSX, Airmotive, Kilpch Sixes, JBL305's. All of which I've ruled out for different reasons.

It would be nice to find some active speakers without all the internet connectivity stuff. The JBL's are just a bit too big and I presume rear ported.

Perhaps I should take this question to the Speaker Forum for suggestions?

Thanks again to you both.

derekmoore 05-12-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58036470)

One of the best databases I know of is here: https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/in...=16&Itemid=140

-

Wow. This is a great site. Thanks for sharing that.

The Xeo's not tested unfortunately.

MRAYB 05-12-2019 11:28 AM

Wow. Almost identical scenario here. With one major difference. I was able to hard wire for Zone 2.

Took a wall down between old living room and garage. Room is finished and is now 32'x22'x8'. First thing was a 4'x8' Brunswick pool table. I run a Denon 4311CI. The front 1/3 of the room is where the tv and seating are located. Back 2/3 is pool table, darts, bar. When not shooting and just watching a movie I run it at 11.4. The speakers are spaced out evenly around the room. Just wasn't enough back by the pool table. I ended up adding a Monoprice 2channel amp (able to run wire under baseboards) for two vintage KLH floorstanding speakers I already had. So when shooting it is now 13.4. Sound is great.

The one thing is the older Denons only allow analog sources for extra zones. I just use my Yamaha 5 disc cd player for music at those times.
Good luck and hope it works out for you.

"Rack 'em up!"

Graustark 05-12-2019 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 58034582)

Line of sight, not line of site.

derekmoore 05-12-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRAYB (Post 58036652)
Wow. Almost identical scenario here. With one major difference. I was able to hard wire for Zone 2.

Took a wall down between old living room and garage. Room is finished and is now 32'x22'x8'. First thing was a 4'x8' Brunswick pool table. I run a Denon 4311CI. The front 1/3 of the room is where the tv and seating are located. Back 2/3 is pool table, darts, bar. When not shooting and just watching a movie I run it at 11.4. The speakers are spaced out evenly around the room. Just wasn't enough back by the pool table. I ended up adding a Monoprice 2channel amp (able to run wire under baseboards) for two vintage KLH floorstanding speakers I already had. So when shooting it is now 13.4. Sound is great.

The one thing is the older Denons only allow analog sources for extra zones. I just use my Yamaha 5 disc cd player for music at those times.
Good luck and hope it works out for you.

"Rack 'em up!"

Super nice. I wish I could hard wire without destroying walls, drywall.

My Denon I picked up used for a steal. It has served me well even though it is a little behind the times these days. Still I see no reason to retire it until it dies.

MRAYB 05-12-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58036740)
Super nice. I wish I could hard wire without destroying walls, drywall.

My Denon I picked up used for a steal. It has served me well even though it is a little behind the times these days. Still I see no reason to retire it until it dies.

Yep, found mine at Amazon warehouse. Of course the HDMIs and sound fields are not up to date. But wouldn't trade it for anything.
Are you on a foundation, or basement, crawlspace? No way to go down then back up?

Maybe just wait awhile til you come across another used Denon and go from there?

m. zillch 05-12-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58036594)

An AVR could work here. I'd just need to keep it small and/or out of sight. Which creates a new set of complications. I also bounced my ideas off the Mrs and she didn't like the idea of another receiver/amp on display.

How about hiding the electronics in a nearby closet or [air vented/fan cooled] cabinet and controlling it with an IR remote relay system?

I have sold many systems where everything is in a giant rack of gear, costing thousand of dollars, but it is all 100% stealth and hidden from view in a "media room closet". All that the owner sees is a tiny IR eyeball to aim their remote at plus the speakers and possibly a video display screen, of course. [And there are ways to make those invisible too, BTW.]

derekmoore 05-12-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRAYB (Post 58036768)
Yep, found mine at Amazon warehouse. Of course the HDMIs and sound fields are not up to date. But wouldn't trade it for anything.
Are you on a foundation, or basement, crawlspace? No way to go down then back up?

Maybe just wait awhile til you come across another used Denon and go from there?

On slab. What kind of speakers did you end up getting? EDIT: never mind, I see you had floor standers already.

derekmoore 05-12-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58036792)
How about hiding the electronics in a nearby closet or [air vented/fan cooled] cabinet and controlling it with an IR remote relay system?

I have sold many systems where everything is in a giant rack of gear, costing thousand of dollars, but it is all 100% stealth and hidden from view in a "media room closet". All that the owner sees is a tiny IR eyeball to aim their remote at plus the speakers and possibly a video display screen, of course. [And there are ways to make those invisible too, BTW.]

That would be super cool, but space is limited around here. I could conceive a way to conceal it from the pool table area, but then it would be visible elsewhere. If I were starting from scratch remodeling this place, I would aim for such a set up.

MRAYB 05-12-2019 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58036798)
On slab. What kind of speakers did you end up getting? EDIT: never mind, I see you had floor standers already.

Klipsch for the F/C/R/ and Wide and Height. Polk I previously had for Surround and surround back. Four Klipsch 100sw subs. And my old faithful KLH monsters with 15" woofers for zone 2. Pretty much a budget system, but at times certain songs make the hair stand up on my arms it sounds so good.

MRAYB 05-12-2019 12:17 PM

Have you looked at flat speaker wire? Would that help? Couple different styles out there.

https://www.parts-express.com/jsc-wi...040#lblReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Adhesiv.../dp/B079NTKWS2

derekmoore 05-12-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRAYB (Post 58036900)
Have you looked at flat speaker wire? Would that help? Couple different styles out there.

https://www.parts-express.com/jsc-wi...040#lblReviews

https://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Adhesiv.../dp/B079NTKWS2

I think I'm pretty well set on the active speaker path at this point. A bit disappointing because I was hoping to have a chance to audition some ribbon style tweeters like the mini philharmonitor and other competitive options.

The Airmotiv from Emotiva has one but the rear port design rules that out.

brireeves629 05-13-2019 10:20 AM

Setting up a Zone 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58036998)
I think I'm pretty well set on the active speaker path at this point. A bit disappointing because I was hoping to have a chance to audition some ribbon style tweeters like the mini philharmonitor and other competitive options.

The Airmotiv from Emotiva has one but the rear port design rules that out.

This is a game room right? You want a fun lively sound that will sound good with multiple genres/sources.

If it were me, I would get a pair of The Sixes by Klipsch and not look back. I have a friend who bought some with a Pro Ject turntable (the one in the Klipsch website picture). He didn’t spend a lot of money and the system sounds incredible.

It has a cool vintage look to it and is always a conversation piece!

derekmoore 05-13-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 58040936)
This is a game room right? You want a fun lively sound that will sound good with multiple genres/sources.

If it were me, I would get a pair of The Sixes by Klipsch and not look back. I have a friend who bought some with a Pro Ject turntable (the one in the Klipsch website picture). He didn’t spend a lot of money and the system sounds incredible.

It has a cool vintage look to it and is always a conversation piece!

Thanks @brireeves629 . I did look into the Klipsch but could not determine its port orientation. The retro look was also not appealing to the Mrs, so I quit looking to verify its port design.

I decided to go with the Dynaudio Xeo2's although I could not find any independent verification of their FR claims. I have to admit I'm skeptical they will do 40htz -3dB as claimed. But this I will definitely measure and verify or debunk.

m. zillch 05-13-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58041126)
I decided to go with the Dynaudio Xeo2's although I could not find any independent verification of their FR claims.

As names go I approve of Dynaudio, not that I'm famiiar with this nor any of their other current production units. [They got their start making the drivers for other top names in the inductry, by the way.]

Here is their [similar but newer?] Xeo 20:

https://www.hifi-voice.com/images/te...-XEO-20-m1.png

Measured by hi-fi choice. https://www.hifichoicemag.com/content/dynaudio-xeo-20

The response above 120Hz looks quite nice and adding a good sub for everything below that could make for a really nice setup. That "bumpy bass" they show is likely to be totally acceptable so you may find them to be great even as is.
Other than a brief, likely inconsequential peak at 300Hz above that, they come close to fitting what I wrote here:
Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58036470)
100-10kHz +/- 5dB: quite good but usually much more affordable

brireeves629 05-13-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58041126)
Thanks @brireeves629 . I did look into the Klipsch but could not determine its port orientation. The retro look was also not appealing to the Mrs, so I quit looking to verify its port design.

I decided to go with the Dynaudio Xeo2's although I could not find any independent verification of their FR claims. I have to admit I'm skeptical they will do 40htz -3dB as claimed. But this I will definitely measure and verify or debunk.

Sounds like you have a pretty open space (adjoining rooms) so you probably won’t be able to reach the manufacturers rated extension. That said, you would be surprised what bookshelves can do these days. If this is for music, you should be fine with the Dynaudio. You might look at these while they are still available. They are powered towers so better bass and they are front ported so you can put them closer to the wall.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091EAS...cc=07&tp=72535

derekmoore 05-20-2019 12:10 PM

^ a good suggestion above but space is a priority, so no room for floor standers.

I received the Xeo2's this weekend and got them fired up. They are not currently in their final resting position, which will require some experimentation. So I will hold back on commenting on the speaker SQ for now.

I first tried setting them up hardwired to my main systems to ensure everything is working properly before attempting to add the wireless transmitter. Doing so revealed a connection challenge.

At first, I just connected the RCA Zone 2 Pre-outs from my Denon 4308ci to the active Dynaudio speaker's RCA inputs. While it took a bit to confirm, I am sending a hardwired (and wireless signal via the Outlaw4) to these "wireless" speakers. The wireless connection is a bit spotty but the wireless receiver (Outlaw4) is not in its final resting place, so I will reserve judgement on it until a later time also. For now, I'm getting a semi stable connection in the approximate space I hope the speakers will be.

With this connection path, I am able to play my turntable to both zones 1 and 2 at the same time (although I have some latency issues to address/compromise upon which may require additional advice at a later time). But, I am unable to get my primary streaming/digital source to play through the Pre-outs as is Phono source.

My digital source is a Tivo box, connected via HDMI 3 Input. This is my primary musical streaming source. I would like to play it at the same time in Zone 2 as I do in Zone 1, same as I am doing with the phono source.
Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Setting issues in the Denon? Connection issue? other?

brireeves629 05-20-2019 07:48 PM

Setting up a Zone 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58074484)
^ a good suggestion above but space is a priority, so no room for floor standers.

I received the Xeo2's this weekend and got them fired up. They are not currently in their final resting position, which will require some experimentation. So I will hold back on commenting on the speaker SQ for now.

I first tried setting them up hardwired to my main systems to ensure everything is working properly before attempting to add the wireless transmitter. Doing so revealed a connection challenge.

At first, I just connected the RCA Zone 2 Pre-outs from my Denon 4308ci to the active Dynaudio speaker's RCA inputs. While it took a bit to confirm, I am sending a hardwired (and wireless signal via the Outlaw4) to these "wireless" speakers. The wireless connection is a bit spotty but the wireless receiver (Outlaw4) is not in its final resting place, so I will reserve judgement on it until a later time also. For now, I'm getting a semi stable connection in the approximate space I hope the speakers will be.

With this connection path, I am able to play my turntable to both zones 1 and 2 at the same time (although I have some latency issues to address/compromise upon which may require additional advice at a later time). But, I am unable to get my primary streaming/digital source to play through the Pre-outs as is Phono source.

My digital source is a Tivo box, connected via HDMI 3 Input. This is my primary musical streaming source. I would like to play it at the same time in Zone 2 as I do in Zone 1, same as I am doing with the phono source.
Anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Setting issues in the Denon? Connection issue? other?

I’m not 100% on this, but I believe the Denon have a separate DAC internally for their Zone 2 pre-out that is limited in it’s source compatibility. You might check your manual to be sure.

derekmoore 05-21-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brireeves629 (Post 58076638)
I’m not 100% on this, but I believe the Denon have a separate DAC internally for their Zone 2 pre-out that is limited in it’s source compatibility. You might check your manual to be sure.

The manual is a little light in details but it does indicate that I should be able to play the same, or different, sources in any zone at the same time.

m. zillch 05-21-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekmoore (Post 58077612)
The manual is a little light in details but it does indicate that I should be able to play the same, or different, sources in any zone at the same time.

On some Yamaha and I believe Marantz/Denon units the zones can play any analog source you choose independently of the main room source selected however to play digital incoming sources (of any format) you must stay locked to the same digital source selected for the main room, what my Yamaha in front of me calls "Main Zone Sync". [Sometimes they make exceptions for simple digital sources such as low bite rate, 2 ch only PCM, for example standard CD, which can travel to the zones independently of what source is selected in the main room].

P.S. This is how things are in recent years but about 5-10 years ago the option for "main zone sync" didn't exist.

derekmoore 05-21-2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m. zillch (Post 58079174)
On some Yamaha and I believe Marantz/Denon units the zones can play any analog source you choose independently of the main room source selected however to play digital incoming sources (of any format) you must stay locked to the same digital source selected for the main room, what my Yamaha in front of me calls "Main Zone Sync". [Sometimes they make exceptions for simple digital sources such as low bite rate, 2 ch only PCM, for example standard CD, which can travel to the zones independently of what source is selected in the main room].

P.S. This is how things are in recent years but about 5-10 years ago the option for "main zone sync" didn't exist.

This makes some sense as this model Denon is about 10-12 years old and I have never encountered, nor read in the manual anything about a "main zone sync" nor anything that sounds similar in function.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a CD player. Long ago I burned all my CD's to Windows storage and now play all that material backed up on a storage device which is plugged into this Denon via USB. I have not tried playing this source in both zones will but do tonight and report back my findings.

Thanks again Mr. Zilch!