Recommendations for New SPL Meter? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
Already did that, on each battery contact there are two solder joint, I re-soldered both. Though they looked pretty good.

I think I have one of those 9v battery leads laying around, I might give that a try.

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard
Probably not on the battery connector, but someplace else, from the pressure from the battery or whatever pressing on the PCB when you shut the case. With it apart try pressing and flexing gently on the battery leads and PCB to see if it goes on and off.
bluewizard likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
This might be of interest to some considering using the Radio Shack SPL meters for infrasonic bass measurements:

"The Radio Shack meter is a wonderful unit. About a two and a half years ago, I did a calibration curve for the RS meter using lab equipment, with Eric Busch from DLC Design adding the low bass down to 10 Hz. This was published in PSACS Sound Bytes in two issues. These are the corrections that should be added to the meter readout
in order to achieve the correct SPL. These corrections are only valid for the meter set to C weighting, using 1/3 octave pink noise (easily available from various CDs), with the mic pointed at the speaker.

Both my analog meters and my digital meter measured the same in October, 1996. These are corrections, they are to be added to the meter readout for the correct response in dB SPL.

10Hz +20.5
12.5Hz +16.5
16Hz +11.5
20Hz +7.5
25Hz +5
31.5Hz +3
40Hz +2.5
50Hz +1.5
63Hz +1.5
80Hz +1.5
100Hz +2 "

Source

Personally, I'd look elsewhere for such infrasonic applications.

edit to add: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ml#post5120500

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.
post #33 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 05:19 PM

Note the vast majority of (fairly) inexpensive SPL meters are C-weighted and roll off below 31.5 Hz and above 8 kHz. Wikipedia, the OSHA site, and many acoustics handbooks have the curves so you could reverse-engineer the compensation if you wish. As @m. zillch said it is best used above (and below) cut-off. I use an SPL meter to gauge absolute and relative levels using either pink noise or specific test tones. The only thing I do with a sub is to check the crossover frequency so don;t take my SPL meter below about 60 Hz. If you want wideband frequency accuracy use a measurement mic (or compensated UMIK-1 or whatever) and REW or whatever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-weighting

It is probably also worth the reminder that OSHA loudness levels are not meant for audiophiles and/or musicians. Per their definitions (see their website), they are intended to ensure (hopefully) normal conversations can be heard as you age. They are basically meant to keep you able to hear and understand a conversation (voice band), not that you'll be able to hear music like you used to.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #35 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post

It is probably also worth the reminder that OSHA loudness levels are not meant for audiophiles and/or musicians. Per their definitions (see their website), they are intended to ensure (hopefully) normal conversations can be heard as you age. They are basically meant to keep you able to hear and understand a conversation (voice band), not that you'll be able to hear music like you used to.

FWIWFM - Don
Yes. After all, it is most important to be able to communicate with people and not so much to enjoy music.
post #36 of 43 Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4671 Post(s)
Liked: 3470
Another safety tip: SPL meters often show (say) "the average level over the course of the past half second" whereas the super loud, and dangerous ~160 dBSPL blast from a gunshot is a transient lasting a tiny fraction of a second and can cause permanent NIHL [noise induced hearing loss] yet the run-of-the-mill SPL meter will only show a much smaller value from the event because it is a small percentage of that second/half second averaged interval.

You can test for this with a hand clap. Using the NIOSH app on my iphone a single hand clap (close to the standard mic) shot the reading up about 40 dB. Quick repeated claps, however, brought it up 60 dB. Were my repeated claps any louder? No. It shows that a single loud transient is not successfully registered, at least when used in the default, standard mode. [It has all sorts of interesting alternative modes which might be better suited to such a task of properly registering peaks]:

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-22-2019 at 10:43 PM.
post #37 of 43 Old 05-23-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Another safety tip: SPL meters often show (say) "the average level over the course of the past half second" whereas the super loud, and dangerous ~160 dBSPL blast from a gunshot is a transient lasting a tiny fraction of a second and can cause permanent NIHL [noise induced hearing loss] ....
That was one thing I liked about the Radio Shack Digital Meter, while is had a numeric display that was reasonably fast, it had bar-graph that was much faster, and you could more easily determine peak sounds from that. The Ranges, another nice feature, centered on the selected dB, for example 70db, but were ±10db. To some that might seem a drawback, but it always worked well for me.

Steve/bluewizard
post #38 of 43 Old 07-05-2019, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

For those remotely interested, here are my thoughts now.

This is the SPL Meter I am now considering getting -

Holdpeak 882A Digital Sound Level Meter(30-130dB),... - $28 -

https://www.amazon.com/Holdpeak-30-1...dp/B07NYVLCM5/

It must be relatively new since it only has ONE Review.

Accurate to ±1.5dB, three ranges, 31.5hz to 8.5khz response, A/C Weighted, 1/4" Tripod Mount, etc....

It also seems to have an Audio Out that could perhaps be used with REW.

This is the SPL I would prefer, but can't justify the roughly $60 cost.

VLIKE LCD Digital Audio Decibel Meter Sound Level Meter - $56 -

https://www.amazon.com/VLIKE-Digital...dp/B01N2RLJ32/

This is likely a better meter with a 4.5-star rating and 43 customer reviews, and the equivalent device is available from several vendors, but there are a few aspects I don't like. Number one is no embedded nut for a Tripod Mount. I don't think it has an Audio Out that can be run to external devices, though that is probably a minor consideration. And I'm not sure I can justify $60 or a bit more if shipping is included in the price.

At the moment, the only thing I really need it for is to calibrate the SPL APP I plan to download. If in the event I install REW, then I can use the SPL Meter to calibrate REW or to verify the calibration.

The only problem with REW is that I have a Desktop computer which is about 30ft from my Stereo system, which means some very long cables, and if I use a USB Mic that probably means an Active USB Extender/Relay cable, and some very long RCA cables. Not undoable, just expensive and difficult. And considering I'm pretty much broke, I think REW is going to have to wait. Though that is impressive Software for FREE.

I add this here in case others might be looking for SPL Meters.

Just a thought.

Steve/bluewizard
post #39 of 43 Old 07-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Frankly, for something you're going to have for a while, I would pick up something that at least covers the audio band for when you do want to check HF response or use pink noise tests (etc.) The Galaxy CM130 is widely suggested as a fairly inexpensive (~$60) SPL meter. The old RS meter was about $50 when they went out of business so not such a stretch to $60 now for a decent replacement. I'd save up for a bit instead of purchasing something now you'll regret later.

And yah I can identify with the dead broke bit... Worked through last couple of years of HS and college and had a few weeks here and there on the street in HS. Not knowing when your next meal is coming or where you'll sleep that night is not an experience I recommend.

post #40 of 43 Old 07-06-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
.... The Galaxy CM130 is widely suggested as a fairly inexpensive (~$60) SPL meter....
Thanks for the suggestion, but the Galaxy Audio only has a rated top end of 8khz which is pretty common.

https://www.galaxyaudio.com/products/cm-130#details

Here is a list of the ideal features an SPL Meter should have, which pretty much mimic the Radio Shack Digital Meter -

* Ranges - That is I should be able to select a range of volume as was found in the RS Meter
* 10khz - The RS responded reasonably flat from 30hz to 10khz. Though it was rare in that respect. Most are around 8khz.
* 1/4" Tripod Nut - Mounted to a tripod is how I most often use my SPL Meter.
* Bar and Digit Display - The Bar Graph display seemed much more responsive than the numeric read out, making it easier to detect peaks.
* Audio Out - less critical but it would be nice if it had an Audio Out to feed other equipment.

That is Ideal, though I suspect unlikely.

By the way, when I bought my Radio Shack Digital SPL Meter MANY YEARS ago, then were about $25.

Steve/bluewizard
post #41 of 43 Old 07-06-2019, 12:39 PM

Well, shoot, sorry about that! I thought it went to 20 kHz (so said the ad copy I clicked, but nooo...) And it does not have a tripod hole. And I see basically all the cheap SPL meters top out around 8 kHz or so, blah.

My first (analog) RS meter was $19.95 on sale IIRC. I'd love to know what happened to it, have not seen it in years. I bought a digital version (same specs) many years later for (I think) $39.95, again on sale. I rarely do absolute level measurements so don't use it much. I have an ancient B&K (I think) behemoth in a box someplace that had a number of filters for various curves and bandwidths and was very wideband (100 kHz, I think...) It was "portable", about the size of a shoebox, and needed a couple of 45 V batteries to run the tubes inside it. A bit hard to find these days.

Maybe we should go into the SPL meter business...

Sorry Steve, if I happen to see something I'll let you know.

post #42 of 43 Old 07-06-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ebay still has some of those Radio Shack meters:
https://www.ebay.com/p/RadioShack-Re...lay/1200248751
post #43 of 43 Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
I’d be looking at something that is more useful like a calibrated UMIK-1: https://www.minidsp.com/products/aco...urement/umik-1

This will let you take measurements and be much more accurate. I’d just use your phone if you want a quick estimate of SPL.
bluewizard likes this.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page