AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   2-Channel Audio (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/)
-   -   Marantz 2215b question (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/173-2-channel-audio/3068384-marantz-2215b-question.html)

brianbrain 05-19-2019 01:27 PM

Marantz 2215b question

Hi there, I recently bought a Marantz 2215b on an auction site kind of out of impulse and what I thought was a fair price (I hope :confused:) at $250 after shipping. It was listed as everything working great, mentions all bulbs have been replaced.

Like I said I kind of impulsively put out an offer and it was accepted- I haven't received it yet so don't know how it sounds. I've been reading on what to look for inside and what to listen for if it needs serviced. But with further researching, I'm gathering by default that most likely this will need to be recapped if it hasn't already been.

Just curious on what to kind of expect on pricing to have everything redone.
Any input would get appreciated. I know I could attempt this myself but I've never soldered anything and don't really want to learn on something like this. Cleaning everything with Deoxit is something I can handle but don't trust myself with anything more.

Thanks

Ratman 05-19-2019 01:37 PM

Listen first.
If it doesn't work. Contact the seller.
If it works, enjoy.

If you think it needs work and you're not experienced, you're probably out $250 plus the parts and labor cost to bring it back to life if that's your choice. But at least the bulbs work. :p

brianbrain 05-19-2019 01:46 PM

well yeah, if it absolutely doesn't work then yes I will be returning it back to sender. But going off description- it does.

I just keep reading how redoing everything revitalizes everything (duh) and was just trying to get a ball park cost of what the repair might look like if anyone has experience with this model.

I of course am realizing I'm asking questions in the wrong order and should have before throwing out an offer...but live n learn right

_tk 05-19-2019 02:01 PM

That's about the going price for a 2215B. The lower wattage models hover around the $200-$250 mark, with really, really nice examples going for slightly more.

I'd look around your area to see who works on them and who has a good rep for fixing older receivers like that (impossible to price until you know what needs fixed/addressed). Problem is...it costs about the same for a full rebuild on a 2215 as it does a higher-powered unit, like a 2245. And a rebuilt 2245 will bring a lot more than a rebuilt 2215 (so if you put $200 into your 2215B, it won't instantly become a $450 receiver).

But if you have speakers that run and sound good with the 2215B, there's nothing wrong with that model. People just want the higher powered ones that offer more WPC and more features.

holl_ands 05-19-2019 02:08 PM

Marantz 2215b is an FM Tuner from 1973-1977....so to begin with, the Electrolytic Capacitors (NOT just in Power Supply) have likely dried up a bit and might need to be replaced....after that, there are LOTS of things that could have failed, either so some feature no longer works....or some performance has "simply" been degraded, such as Sensitivity, or Stereo Separation...or less likely Selectivity. Owners's and Service Manuals are found here (FREE Registration):
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ntz/2215.shtml

FWIW: 2215b also has a 15-watt Power Amp....wimpy, wimpy, esp. with today's less efficient Speakers....so you'll likely want to connect LINE OUT to an external Stereo Amp or AVR.

Unfortunately, 2215b was NOT included in fol. review of Marantz FM Tuners....but if you decide to return it, you might want to consider one of the fol. alternates from Marantz....or other brands:
http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/marantz.html

Alex F. 05-19-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holl_ands (Post 58070216)
Marantz 2215b is an FM Tuner from 1973-1977.

The Marantz 2215B is an AM/FM stereo receiver, not an FM tuner.

holl_ands 05-19-2019 02:35 PM

With a whopping 15-wpc....trying to drive today's typically much less efficient Speakers....

brianbrain 05-19-2019 03:13 PM

Thanks for the reply's so far.

[QUOTE=FWIW: 2215b also has a 15-watt Power Amp....wimpy, wimpy, esp. with today's less efficient Speakers....so you'll likely want to connect LINE OUT to an external Stereo Amp or AVR.[/QUOTE]

how would you do this? I have an AVR I was still planning on using for video. Speakers I plan on using are 90db, or 86db, or some vintage kenwood 3 ways, depending on what matches up best.

Is this what I'd need to service the 2215b?
https://www.audio-high-store.com/pro...io-capacitors/

I figure if I were to undergo this project it'd be cheaper for me to have all the parts needed prior to service.

Ratman 05-19-2019 03:16 PM

Parts are inexpensive. Labor is costly. ;)

_tk 05-20-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianbrain (Post 58070474)
Thanks for the reply's so far.

how would you do this? I have an AVR I was still planning on using for video. Speakers I plan on using are 90db, or 86db, or some vintage kenwood 3 ways, depending on what matches up best.

Is this what I'd need to service the 2215b?
https://www.audio-high-store.com/pro...io-capacitors/

I figure if I were to undergo this project it'd be cheaper for me to have all the parts needed prior to service.

I would trust a good tech to choose/recommend the proper parts, even it it meant a few more bucks in the end.

Also, there are plenty of speakers that receiver would run fine, even modern ones. More than likely that amp is probably closer to 20WPC @ 8 ohms. I use a small little 20x2 class T amp in my garage to run a pair of Pioneer BS-22's. Just don't expect head-banging levels, but it'll get loud enough more than likely.

holl_ands 05-23-2019 06:50 PM

Another source for Marantz 2215B Service Manual (FREE, NO Registration required]:
https://www.manualslib.com/download/...ntz-2215b.html

You would connect to External Amp or AVR via "TAPE OUT" (see pg7), which is a standard "Line Level" RCA Output Connector.

I counted about 47 Electrolytic Capacitors in the parts list (WOW, that's a LOT)....so referenced Kit may include a handful of OTHER Caps as well. Sure, you COULD probably save a few quid if you ordered them yourself....but getting the right SIZE incl. whether wires are on either or same end can be tricky....so the 50-Euro price seems reasonable to me...although perhaps it is overkill to replace ALL Audio & Power Supply Caps...and you are still left with the problem of PERHAPS replacing bad Resistors and Transistors...it all depends on the condition of the Receiver....and how much TIME you'll have to expend working on the RF, IF and Stereo Decode circuitry which are likely NOT addressed by the Kit.

IF I were doing it, I would start by replacing all [pricey] Power Supply Electrolytics and other "critical" Electrolytics [start with higher capacitance values]...and those known to be causing a problem...which would total perhaps less than 10 Caps...and only address additional parts when Test Equipment reveals that there is a problem. Absolute minimum would be an FM Signal Generator (preferably with Stereo Modulator) which would be needed for Alignment of the 2-Stage RF Tuner [fortunately, Ceramic Filters in IF Strip (F101, F102) do NOT require any alignment].

Alex F. 05-23-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holl_ands (Post 58091208)
You would connect to External Amp or AVR via "TAPE OUT" (see pg7), which is a standard "Line Level" RCA Output Connector.

No, that would not work. The tape output is a fixed output, not a variable output that would be adjustable by the Marantz's volume control. Thus, the Marantz would not be able to adjust the volume of an external amplifier. The Marantz's bass, treble, and balance controls would not work either when utilizing the tape output.

holl_ands 05-24-2019 02:36 PM

Of course it would work....it's the NORMAL way we all use an AVR. Separate components, whether a stand-alone AM/FM Tuner, CD/SACD/DVD/BD Player(s), OTA/SAT/CABLE Boxes...even a VCR or Phono Cartridge (w or w/o Preamp) ALL have FIXED OUTPUTS (whether L/R RCA Audio, Optical or HDMI) that can feed an AMP or AVR....and you use the AMP or AVR's Volume Control to adjust the Sound Level of whichever Input you select [adjusting individual Volume Controls in EACH Component would be very confusing]. If available, you could also adjust Bass/Treble Tone Controls in AVR and/or Manual Room Equalization Menu [or individual Speaker Level] to adjust Frequency Response [I frequently adjust Sub-Woofer Output Level up and down]. Easy Peasy...

Alex F. 05-24-2019 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holl_ands (Post 58094702)
Of course it would work....it's the NORMAL way we all use an AVR. Separate components, whether a stand-alone AM/FM Tuner, CD/SACD/DVD/BD Player(s), OTA/SAT/CABLE Boxes...even a VCR or Phono Cartridge (w or w/o Preamp) ALL have FIXED OUTPUTS (whether L/R RCA Audio, Optical or HDMI) that can feed an AMP or AVR....and you use the AMP or AVR's Volume Control to adjust the Sound Level of whichever Input you select [adjusting individual Volume Controls in EACH Component would be very confusing]. If available, you could also adjust Bass/Treble Tone Controls in AVR and/or Manual Room Equalization Menu [or individual Speaker Level] to adjust Frequency Response [I frequently adjust Sub-Woofer Output Level up and down]. Easy Peasy...

I am sorry, but no, the OP would not be able to utilize the Marantz's volume control (nor bass, treble, and balance) if he connected the tape out to an external amplifier. A tape output is fixed and it bypasses those controls. You are confusing a fixed output with a variable output. The Marantz 2215B does not have a variable line output. Unfortunately the Marantz receiver does not have what are typically called "preouts," which would indeed work with an outboard amp.

If you do not believe me, take a tape output (or any fixed line output) from your preamp and connect it to an external amp. Then play some music. If that outboard amp does not have level controls that are turned down low, be prepared for a very loud surprise and a string of expletives. You might also find yourself shopping for new loudspeakers later that same day.