Options for stylus upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-19-2019, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Options for stylus upgrade

I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to cartridge and stylus specs so I'm not sure which one would be the most worth while to upgrade next. Eventually I'd like to do all of them but in due time.

My everyday cart is a Shure M96lt. Could be upgraded to a N97lt nude hyperelliptical

Next I just recently acquired a Technics P24 with no stylus. For this I saw a Shibata stylus https://www.turntableneedles.com/EPS...SH_p_3717.html

And also newly acquired Shure 500s which I saw was compatable with an SAS https://www.lpgear.com/product/eSHN092ESAS.html

Just wondering what the most bang for my buck would be as I dont have enough money to do all 3 at once. Thanks!

Last edited by brianbrain; 05-19-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-21-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4626 Post(s)
Liked: 3446
I personally would not but styli from third parties that didn't make the cartridge itself.

When a company like Shure says, for example,"Our cartridge has these performance characteristics: X, Y, and Z" that all gets thrown out the window if you substitute part of their design with another company's product.
---
post #3 of 3 Old 05-21-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4626 Post(s)
Liked: 3446
Here it is from the horse's mouth:

"What about third party after-market styli? There are companies that make new styli for discontinued Shure cartridges.

After-market non-Shure styli may perform perfectly well, but let the buyer beware: Shure does not test third-party styli. Therefore, Shure cannot endorse using these styli."

https://www.shure.com/en-US/support/...d-phono-stylus

More details at the link.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page