amps with good built in eq? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well I did have avr (SC-05) and I did like it but I wanted to downsize and find a smaller 2 channel amp to replace it
fuzzysig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
Nobody didn't read the question, your entire post was 8 words, it was impossible to not read it. Simple questions can be great, but simple questions are totally inappropriate when the question being asked has a huge number of potential answers and where the fit for every single answer is 100 percent dependent upon how you will be using it. Having a sub or not having a sub is directly relevant to amp choice, having an external DAC or needing an internal DAC or no DAC requirement at all is extremely relevant to amp choice, what you want to do with equalization is relevant to amp choice, having a turntable or not is directly relevant to amp choice, whether you need streaming or not is directly relevant to amp choice, what speakers and volumes you listen to are relevant to amp choice, etc.

Why would you chastise people for trying to help you when you couldn't even be bothered to share one bit of information that is necessary to provide you with meaningful recommendations?????

Here is a very simple question for you: "What car should I buy?"

What is wrong with the question above?




ok I play your game


what car should I buy? would be similar to what amp should I buy? which is not what I asked.
what speakers I use or any other details are irrelevant. because there aren't that many 2 channel amps that have built in EQ


what 2 channel amps have built in EQ literally means whats available... so I can see what options I have and make a choice later out of the few options I have mmkay?
literally don't need any more info. you trying to make it extremely complicated when theres no need to be because its a really simple question you either know an amp with EQ or you don't...
fuzzysig is online now  
post #33 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 19,671
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2508 Post(s)
Liked: 2322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
well I did have avr (SC-05) and I did like it but I wanted to downsize and find a smaller 2 channel amp to replace it
2 channel... small footprint and built-in EQ. That may difficult. Good luck.



If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
Ratman is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 12:47 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
because there aren't that many 2 channel amps that have built in EQ
That's a fair response, and I get your point now, but you should have stated in your original post that you've been looking and you can't find anything, so then it would be crystal clear that you are just looking for a raw list.

There is a reason 2-channel with room correction isn't common. It's the same reason AVR's in non-pure-direct mode don't sound good for music. Are you looking to tweak EQ frequencies to your preferences are you looking to correct for a difficult room?
pjp is offline  
post #35 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 01:40 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Anthem room correction, Anthem amp, internal streaming not very refined apparently, but presumably good as an amp, $500 on Amazon, $250ish (USD) shipped on eBay:

https://hometheaterreview.com/paradi...fier-reviewed/

https://www.amazon.com/Paradigm-Shif...ustomerReviews

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Paradigm-Pr...gAAOSweTlcYkW-


.

Last edited by pjp; 05-28-2019 at 01:44 PM.
pjp is offline  
post #36 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
ok I play your game


what car should I buy? would be similar to what amp should I buy? which is not what I asked.
what speakers I use or any other details are irrelevant. because there aren't that many 2 channel amps that have built in EQ


what 2 channel amps have built in EQ literally means whats available... so I can see what options I have and make a choice later out of the few options I have mmkay?
literally don't need any more info. you trying to make it extremely complicated when theres no need to be because its a really simple question you either know an amp with EQ or you don't...

If you want info, you should be a little more polite.
pjp and fill35U like this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #37 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
tweak eq to my preferences.


otherwise I would ask for a 2 channel amp with room correction


alan I would hardly consider these replies as info.. with few exceptions who had no problem understanding what I asked... if they can understand it then others should be able to understand it
if nobody could figure out what I asked then the problem is in the question but if few people got it that means the rest simply cannot comprehend what they read or they choose to ignore the question and reply with irrelevant stuff.


the guy that suggested elac amp. great info thank you .I will probably buy that one unless someone else suggests more options... easy stuff bro … very basic question that needed a basic answer nothing complicated about it.
fuzzysig is online now  
post #38 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Moderator
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 25,295
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 2345
Enough bickering. If the OP doesn't want to provide the necessary information to provide a proper answer, well that's his prerogative. Make your point in a respectful manner and move on.

OP: You need to be respectful, as well. Sometimes, we don't know what we don't know. I would also limit run-on sentences. Your last post is difficult to understand without reading it several times.
rboster is online now  
post #39 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 02:28 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
tweak eq to my preferences.


otherwise I would ask for a 2 channel amp with room correction
So by "EQ" you mean that you are looking for a graphic equalizer and not parametric EQ for room correction. I would politely suggest that that is not an obvious interpretation of your term "EQ" because most people haven't used a graphic equalizer in 30+ years (not that it's a bad idea) and, for the last 15 years, you haven't been able to swing a dead cat without hitting a gazillion AVR's with eq intended for room correction, but at least now we know that you are just looking to tweak frequencies.

The amp in post #35 will do that in the digital domain for $500 (or $250 used) using the same Anthem correction suggested early in the thread that was 10 times your budget. I know you don't want to hear it, but if you have analog sources, the analog equalizer in post #12 (used in conjunction with an analog 2-channel amp) will sound a lot better for tweaking equalization to your preferences than digital EQ will because it eliminates the need to convert analog to digital, tweak the EQ in the digital domain, then reconvert it back to analog.
pjp is offline  
post #40 of 94 Old 05-28-2019, 03:59 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Another option is to look for a vintage Rotel RA-1000, which is an analog combined 2-channel equalizer/amp. Kenwood and several others made eq amps and receivers.
pjp is offline  
post #41 of 94 Old 05-29-2019, 12:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 458
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 252
You might consider a used JVC AX-R87 or AX-R350 integrated amp. You could buy one in working condition for under $50, have it shipped for under $50, and have a local shop recap and refurbish it for maybe $200.

Saying merely "EQ" is useless: How many bands? What frequencies? What Q? How much boost/cut? What filter type? Parametric or graphic? Separate for each channel or linked? Analog or digital? With measuring mic? With signal generator? EQ adjustable or bypassable via remote control? Presets? Loudness compensation? Baffle step compensation? CD horn compensation? Bass/treble controls? Rumble filter? Noise reduction?

Please help us help you...

Sources/processing: stack of stuff that if it isn't vintage now, it will be soon!
Amps: stacks and stacks of old iron
Main speakers: big DIYSG
Surrounds: Bose graveyard
Subs: a bunch
fill35U is offline  
post #42 of 94 Old 05-29-2019, 03:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
glangford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,331
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
are there any 2 ch amps that have a good eq?


in 300-500 price range.


since there is confusion about what im asking:
a 2 channel amp with BUILT IN EQ


even a receiver that has good front stage amp would be ok
but I prefer a smaller digital 2 ch amp instead that has at least optical input.( preferably a network amp with BT and usb input though)
The Yamaha R-n803 I've previously mentioined at accessories4less @549 is the closest thing. 2 channel, network, BT, optical, USB input ect. The previously suggest use of an AVR in two channel mode would also be fine and have most of the same features and there are several at accessories4less that are less than 500.
pjp likes this.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
glangford is offline  
post #43 of 94 Old 05-29-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
im stuck between aventage and pioneer elite sc series


first of all I don't know when pioneer switched to crappie components since sc-05
and I never had Yamaha aventage receiver


If I could find one that plays hi-rez files from usb and has the bt and wifi etc that would be cool. I would be ok with the bulky box


but like I said I only know that sc-05 and sc-07 have that first gen amp in them and dont know which newer models have same one.
dont even know anything about aventage amps


so im open to suggestions on that one.


I found sc-25 for 150 but i dont know if even that has same amp as sc-05 or not
fuzzysig is online now  
post #44 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
im stuck between aventage and pioneer elite sc series


first of all I don't know when pioneer switched to crappie components since sc-05
and I never had Yamaha aventage receiver


If I could find one that plays hi-rez files from usb and has the bt and wifi etc that would be cool. I would be ok with the bulky box


but like I said I only know that sc-05 and sc-07 have that first gen amp in them and dont know which newer models have same one.
dont even know anything about aventage amps


so im open to suggestions on that one.


I found sc-25 for 150 but i dont know if even that has same amp as sc-05 or not
Fuzz, what are you worried about here with the AVR's power amp sections? Is this an amp reliability/longevity concern or a perceived sound quality concern?

If it's the latter, there's no need to get stuck on it; the actual difference in sound between any of these AVR's power amp sections ranges between non-existent and the square root of bugger-all (quite small).
CruelInventions likes this.
GIEGAR is online now  
post #45 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 07:33 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
first of all I don't know when pioneer switched to crappie components since sc-05
and I never had Yamaha aventage receiver

If I could find one that plays hi-rez files from usb and has the bt and wifi etc that would be cool. I would be ok with the bulky box

but like I said I only know that sc-05 and sc-07 have that first gen amp in them and dont know which newer models have same one.

I found sc-25 for 150 but i dont know if even that has same amp as sc-05 or not
I'm not familiar with the transition of amps in Pioneer's AVRs or which models have the better amp, but the reason AVR amps (in general) are designed as cheaply as possible is because they need 9 individual amps. That's a lot of amps and they need to keep the cost/space/size down because of the number required.

If I'm understanding you correctly that you now really only need stereo, most, if not all, name-brand 2-channel amps should not be as prone to the compromises that are almost necessary (to keep cost down) in AVR's that need to deliver 9-channels. Even if Pioneer cheapened their AVR amps at some point, I would guess that change probably didn't extend to Pioneer's 2-channel amps or the 2-channel amps of their competitors' products.

At a glance, the Yamaha 2-channel suggested in post #42 would seem to be a really good match. You probably want to research it more to be sure, but I would be surprised if the amps in that 2-channel Yamaha weren't far better than the amps in Pioneer's new and old AVR's just based on logistics (they can allocate far more dollars/space to the amps in a 2-channel system than is possible in a 9-channel AVR).
pjp is offline  
post #46 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
the sound quality is definitely not perceived...
are you one of those people who cant tell a difference?
I can definitely tell a difference.
I was looking at the Yamaha amps for a while but they seem cheap for some reason. maybe its just because they are same size as cheap Walmart receivers I donno.
I have teac ai-301da and that's the only amp so far that I don't have the urge to adjust EQ but I need more power for the main room and was thinking about the 501DA but the problem that amp has is the really sketchy volume control. its impossible to see when the olume changes when using a remote and I end up having to mash button all the time too much or too little... theres no display


the ELAC amp seems legit though and has display.


the reason I like pioneer is because it has its specific sound its silky smooth and makes sexy time to my ears.
its like sleeping on a newspaper (smsl) vs sleeping in silk sheets (pioneer)




never heard Yamaha that's why im skeptical about it. i love Yamaha speakers those are keepers for sure when paired with pioneer it sounded great






what about nad amps like 3020?
fuzzysig is online now  
post #47 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
the sound quality is definitely not perceived...
are you one of those people who cant tell a difference?
...
Holy crap, do you have to lace an insult into every response???

I never said it was "perceived" and I don't doubt you that the old one sounded much better. Most people don't go through the effort to research something if the area they are concerned about isn't real. It's good that you are now sharing information so we have some idea for what you are using, have used, and what problem you are trying to solve.

As far as amplifier quality, most 2-channels amps are going to have better internal amplifiers than any AVR just based upon logistics. That's not certain, depends on manufacturer design decisions, but likely.

In my experience, the far bigger factor for sound quality of 2-channel music out of AVR's is the digital processing (or hopefully lack thereof) of the signal that happens before the internal AVR amplifier. That difference in processing the signal is usually much larger than any differences in the internal amps themselves.

I have strongly disliked the sound quality of music through all of my AVR's for 2-channel music. I am including Rotel, Krell, and Sunfire AV preamps driving a McIntosh amplifier in those I disliked. It wasn't the preamp section of the Rotel/Krell/Sunfire or the McIntosh amp, but the digital processing (converting analog to digital, processing that signal, and then converting back to analog) that took every bit of expression out of music in my experience. That digital processing, as great as it is for movie content, does exactly what you describe of changing silk to newspaper for analog sources.

My guess is that your old Pioneer was operating in direct mode for your 2-channel music so that it bypassed digital processing. It could be that receiver had a different default or that pure direct mode had been switched on. What was the data source you were using on the Pioneer where you heard the huge difference? Was it an external source or streamer/DAC connected via RCA analog inputs, an external source connected via digital coax/optical, or was it internal Pioneer content/streaming? Understanding the data source and connection type is necessary to determine what is happening to the signal before it hits the internal amp.

What is the signal source for your Teac that you like the sound of and how is it connected?

The difference between pure direct and digital processing is never subtle for 2-channel music in my experience, while the difference between the actual amplifiers themselves is usually very subtle (not nonexistent, but subtle). Equalization cannot restore what digital processing takes away from 2-channel music in my experience.
natchie and alan0354 like this.

Last edited by pjp; 05-30-2019 at 12:56 PM.
pjp is offline  
post #48 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well I was just asking lol. I know a lot of people who cant tell a difference and they are not bothered by it...
even now I gave my smsl amp to my buddy with some plastic advent outdoor speakers. and to me they sound horrible. but they say it sounds amazing...
being extra sensitive is not always an advantage. especially when you cant turn it off and be able to enjoy things without being bothered by the tiny fn details that only you can hear while everyone else is like oh bro its really good. while you sit there grinding your teeth.




I cant hear my wife complaining and im totally cool with that that's the only thing I was able to tune out so far..
fuzzysig is online now  
post #49 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well ive seen many people say that those early models of SC are different from newer ones but I couldn't find a clear answer about what exactly is different and why they are sought after specifically the sc-05 07 09 and the year after that. but not any newer models.
supposedly the front channels amp is somehow different
I didn't adjust any settings manually after reset but I did have room calibration enabled and it made a massive difference. from digital source.


i only use digital source for my music. either through optical or usb or hdmi. i have not used analog soure or connection for some time.
for that reason. where i don't want it converted back and forth before it reaches the speaker.


all my amps are using same source and for the most part optical input.
fuzzysig is online now  
post #50 of 94 Old 05-30-2019, 02:00 PM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
well ive seen many people say that those early models of SC are different from newer ones but I couldn't find a clear answer about what exactly is different and why they are sought after specifically the sc-05 07 09 and the year after that. but not any newer models.
supposedly the front channels amp is somehow different
I didn't adjust any settings manually after reset but I did have room calibration enabled and it made a massive difference. from digital source.


i only use digital source for my music. either through optical or usb or hdmi. i have not used analog soure or connection for some time.
for that reason. where i don't want it converted back and forth before it reaches the speaker.


all my amps are using same source and for the most part optical input.
It's odd to see such a big difference for digital sources. So your SC-0x sounded great, and the Teac sounds great (but not enough power), what AVR did you use that didn't sound good? I'm guessing maybe that AVR had a hidden setting that made it sound bad -- there are a ton settings in modern AVR's, so it's easy to have something set wrong that's difficult to see (for example, if it's set to "night" mode, or set to some effects mode instead of straight 2-channel stereo (music "effect" (hall, jazz club, ..) modes always sound worse than straight 2-channel stereo to me).

That's why I like dedicated 2-channel stereo amps -- it's as much about avoiding complexity as it is about getting a better amp for me. Given that all your sources are digital, it shouldn't matter much whether you use an AVR or a stereo amp. If your Teac sounds great, I suspect any quality 2-channel amp will also sound great -- but you probably can't know for sure until you try it.

It looks like SC-05 and SC-07s are readily available used for less than your budget, so there's always that. Those Pioneer models may sound better than their successors, but I still think a 2-channel amp will be at least a good and likely better.
pjp is offline  
post #51 of 94 Old 05-31-2019, 02:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GIEGAR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,380
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1006 Post(s)
Liked: 1701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
the sound quality is definitely not perceived...
are you one of those people who cant tell a difference?
I can definitely tell a difference.
Actually, hearing is all about perception.

It's not about whether you can hear a difference or not, it's having an understanding of why you hear a difference. And it's got nothing to do with amp topology/construction/parts or an individuals hearing acuity; it's all about the science of human hearing perception.

(To be clear, my comments in post 44 are referring to power amp sections of AVR's, not integrated amps etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
I was looking at the Yamaha amps for a while but they seem cheap for some reason. maybe its just because they are same size as cheap Walmart receivers I donno.
I have teac ai-301da and that's the only amp so far that I don't have the urge to adjust EQ but I need more power for the main room and was thinking about the 501DA but the problem that amp has is the really sketchy volume control. its impossible to see when the olume changes when using a remote and I end up having to mash button all the time too much or too little... theres no display
Well now we're getting down to the business end of understanding the problem.

If your only issue with the TEAC AI-301DA (15WPC @8Ω; 1kHz; 1% THD) is a need for more power, why not set yourself on track for a pair of higher sensitivity speakers? For example, a step up from typical 87dB/2.83V/1m speakers to 95dB/2.83V/1m sensitivity speakers like (secondhand) PSA MT-110's or JTR Single 8HT's effectively increases your rated output more than six-fold. This effectively turns your TEAC into a little ~100WPC beast. As a bonus, you might also get a good bump in clarity and dynamics from a pair of speakers that are just loafing along when when producing quite high SPL's. (Note, a sub is mandatory with either of those speakers as they roll off at 70 - 80Hz.)

As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited by GIEGAR; 05-31-2019 at 06:49 AM.
GIEGAR is online now  
post #52 of 94 Old 05-31-2019, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
so in car stereo world. each brand has its own distinct sound. its a known fact no need to argue about it, everyone knows it.
im somewhat new to home audio where im not picking up old stuff from garbage like when I just came to America lol. and build and fix my own cardboard speakers.


but im noticing also that cheaper models each brand does have its own specific sound. its called branding. how can you convince people to stick to your brand? like Gucci tshirts each of them has specific sound, people come to car stereo shops all the time wanting specific brand because they like how it sounds. or kenwood(because it sounds like robot faquing your ears but it has the most options for the price)
I did too. until you go to few 1000 bucks in price that's when sound starts becoming more similar.
anyway...


I started with onkyo something something 300 series super basic but decent sound I was pretty happy with it
then got Marantz nr1501 which is probably the lamest one I had it has nothing impressive about it feature or sound
Marantz sr6009 which also sounded a bit strange to me
sc-05 I plug it in right after listening to the 6009 and 30 seconds later im moving everything else in the garage because it was a massive difference out of the box with pioneer it was very solid sound I could feel the presence and it was whipping those speakers like a race horse
sony str-dn1060 great features but still has that cheap boombox plastic speaker sound to it for some reason.






Quote:
Originally Posted by pjp View Post
It's odd to see such a big difference for digital sources. So your SC-0x sounded great, and the Teac sounds great (but not enough power), what AVR did you use that didn't sound good? I'm guessing maybe that AVR had a hidden setting that made it sound bad -- there are a ton settings in modern AVR's, so it's easy to have something set wrong that's difficult to see (for example, if it's set to "night" mode, or set to some effects mode instead of straight 2-channel stereo (music "effect" (hall, jazz club, ..) modes always sound worse than straight 2-channel stereo to me).

That's why I like dedicated 2-channel stereo amps -- it's as much about avoiding complexity as it is about getting a better amp for me. Given that all your sources are digital, it shouldn't matter much whether you use an AVR or a stereo amp. If your Teac sounds great, I suspect any quality 2-channel amp will also sound great -- but you probably can't know for sure until you try it.

It looks like SC-05 and SC-07s are readily available used for less than your budget, so there's always that. Those Pioneer models may sound better than their successors, but I still think a 2-channel amp will be at least a good and likely better.
fuzzysig is online now  
post #53 of 94 Old 05-31-2019, 10:16 AM
pjp
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pjp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NJ/NY
Posts: 1,717
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
so in car stereo world. each brand has its own distinct sound. its a known fact no need to argue about it, everyone knows it.
im somewhat new to home audio where im not picking up old stuff from garbage like when I just came to America lol. and build and fix my own cardboard speakers.


but im noticing also that cheaper models each brand does have its own specific sound. its called branding. how can you convince people to stick to your brand? like Gucci tshirts each of them has specific sound, people come to car stereo shops all the time wanting specific brand because they like how it sounds. or kenwood(because it sounds like robot faquing your ears but it has the most options for the price)
I did too. until you go to few 1000 bucks in price that's when sound starts becoming more similar.
anyway...


I started with onkyo something something 300 series super basic but decent sound I was pretty happy with it
then got Marantz nr1501 which is probably the lamest one I had it has nothing impressive about it feature or sound
Marantz sr6009 which also sounded a bit strange to me
sc-05 I plug it in right after listening to the 6009 and 30 seconds later im moving everything else in the garage because it was a massive difference out of the box with pioneer it was very solid sound I could feel the presence and it was whipping those speakers like a race horse
sony str-dn1060 great features but still has that cheap boombox plastic speaker sound to it for some reason.
I agree with you, it's just a difference of terminology. As far as the internal amplifiers buried within any AVR, my experience is that the difference is very subtle between internal amplifiers. As an example, when I added an external 6-channel McIntosh amp to my Rotel AVR (so it was then acting only as a preamp), the difference was subtle even though the amp cost about 6 times the cost of the AVR. I heard the difference most in the quiet scenes where quiet was dead quiet (never realized it wasn't dead quiet before), but it wasn't a huge night and day difference in overall sound. That's why I don't think there is a "magic amp" internally within that Pioneer -- my experience is the difference is in all the stuff inside AVR's surrounding the internal amps.

Although I don't think internal amp design differences make a huge difference in AVR sound, I've never heard two AVR's that sound the same. I agree fully that there are large differences between AVRs by brand and model, but I think that is far less due to the internal amp designs and far more due to all the signal processing that happens before the amps (all still internal to the AVR). AVR's are complex and can do a million things, so they have a lot of "stuff" going on in signal processing before the amp and that's why they all sound different.

That's why I suspect a two channel amp will solve your woes. It's not so much that the internal amplifiers are that much better (though they are likely better), but just that all that processing of the signal before the amp is eliminated or at least minimized. I really dislike AVR's for 2-channel music because of all that processing; however, if the AVR's "true direct" mode really bypasses all the signal processing, then there's no reason they can't sound as good, or nearly as good, as a 2-channel amp.
pjp is offline  
post #54 of 94 Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I don't see why it would not bypass. that's the whole point of direct mode.
I actually got a killer deal today


picked up Yamaha aventage rx-a1030
and a complete set of energy reference connoisseurRC-70b-1 with surround and subwoofer. for 350 bucks for all


so im gonna listen to that one and see how the Yamaha sounds


I do like Yamaha 2 ch amp features and look just never heard Yamaha amp in general
fuzzysig is online now  
post #55 of 94 Old 05-31-2019, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
does anyone here know that info about the receivers?
about their front stage amps?
fuzzysig is online now  
post #56 of 94 Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
ok im still looking.
had the Yamaha for few months listened to all my speakers with it...
not feeling it
just bought the elac eq101eq and posted it right back for sale after 15 minutes of listening. it really sucked the only other amp that irritated me that much was Marantz 1501 which is pretty much like a toyota corolla of amps.


elac had such great reviews everyone was so amazed by its sound but maybe they are using subs or maybe they are not actually hearing the lack of bass
something was off about the sound with and without room correction I could not listen to it for more than 15 minutes.




so now im still looking for same thing
I really don't want to go back to a full size receiver


trying to have a minimalistic setup with a tv, amp and 2 speakers.with a console table.
I want it to look simple and clean not a wall covered with amps and preamps and eqs etc..
fuzzysig is online now  
post #57 of 94 Old 01-06-2020, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
qirex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 617
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Have you heard those speakers in your room with any amp that you actually liked the sound of? You might be chasing a room or speaker issue that no amp could solve.
m. zillch likes this.
qirex is online now  
post #58 of 94 Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
josh6113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus,Ohio
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzysig View Post
ok im still looking.
had the Yamaha for few months listened to all my speakers with it...
not feeling it
just bought the elac eq101eq and posted it right back for sale after 15 minutes of listening. it really sucked the only other amp that irritated me that much was Marantz 1501 which is pretty much like a toyota corolla of amps.


elac had such great reviews everyone was so amazed by its sound but maybe they are using subs or maybe they are not actually hearing the lack of bass
something was off about the sound with and without room correction I could not listen to it for more than 15 minutes.




so now im still looking for same thing
I really don't want to go back to a full size receiver


trying to have a minimalistic setup with a tv, amp and 2 speakers.with a console table.
I want it to look simple and clean not a wall covered with amps and preamps and eqs etc..
See my post #25 ...that option will fit your needs perfectly...I went back through this thread and it seemed you or no one said anything about that 2 channel amp with EQ.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Doing what I do best...LIVIN!
josh6113 is online now  
post #59 of 94 Old 01-08-2020, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
See my post #25 ...that option will fit your needs perfectly...I went back through this thread and it seemed you or no one said anything about that 2 channel amp with EQ.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk



I missed that post thank you for reminding me
but that amp doesn't have EQ
I would have to have a preamp which is not what I want.


I feel like 20 years into having digital audio we should be able to have a true integrated amp that has onboard dsp and all the features


I mean car audio had that for almost 15 years and they are usually behind on everything


Im honestly almost ready to buy a higher end car stereo and use that because for some reason theres nothing available for home audio


this is just politics really


so they can sell you the features you want as "high end" options for 20000 when in reality its so cheap to make that they have them on almost every car stereo now.
fuzzysig is online now  
post #60 of 94 Old 01-08-2020, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by qirex View Post
Have you heard those speakers in your room with any amp that you actually liked the sound of? You might be chasing a room or speaker issue that no amp could solve.
had those speakers for about 5 years now. hooked them up to bunch of different amps already
and have about 5 other pairs of bookshelf that I use on a rotation with every amp as well as a reference
fuzzysig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off