Original versus Remastered/Remixed - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By m. zillch
  • 1 Post By vzphoneman

post #1 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Original versus Remastered/Remixed

I did a search and did not see a thread on this topic, so pardon if there is one, delete it and direct me to that thread.

Equipment note: Yamaha RX-V373 AVR, ATV 4K, Bose 301 series II, Apple Music, PS3 (4X up sampling) HDMI connected, Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player HDMI connected, late 2013 27” iMac, CenturyLink GPON. Recent CDs are ripped using Apple lossless, older rips in AAC. Sound Check is disabled.

I’ve been listening to more music since we subscribed to Apple Music. I have over 200 cd’s that I have not ripped to my Mac. The ones I have ripped allow me to compare them to Apple Music versions, along with the remastered or remixed versions. In one case, the Steve Miller band, there are original and remastered versions on Apple Music. This is what started my comparisons.

I was browsing/searching Apple Music and searched Steve Miller. They are pushing new 180g vinyl box sets on Facebook, so I decided to listen to some on Apple Music. I found the typical list, albums and “greatest hits.” In this case, there is an “ultimate hits” remastered in 2017. The remastered versions actually sound muted compared to the originals, most notably the “China boy cymbal” at the beginning of “Rock’n Me” This was surprising because comparing the original to the remastered Led Zeppelin’s, the remasters sound better. This could be because the Led Zeppelin recordings were originally mastered and remastered by Jimmy Page.

In most case I can’t tell any difference between my ripped copy and the Apple Music version. I have a combo Rykodisc release of Frank Zappa’s Apostrophe(‘)/Over-Nite Sensation. Apple Music has them as separate releases. There is a noticeable difference in volume between the cd and streaming versions. I have to increase the volume from -20 to -10 to hear the cd/ripped version at the same level as the streamed version.

I have yet to compare my Sgt Peppers CD to the remixed versions yet.

I would love to hear what others think of the practice of remastering/remixing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-20-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
A lot of people wholesale dismiss modern remasters as overcompressed garbage, but there are some gems out there. Case in point are the Sean Magee remasters of the Rush catalog which are absolute perfection. The Zeppelin deluxe remasters are good with much better clarity, even if on the loud side.

Then you of course have specialty limited edition releases that are noteworthy for greatly improved dynamics. Rage Against the Machine's original album on the Audio Fidelity label is a godsend.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 156
One thing you have to be aware of is different volume levels. People tend to find the louder version sounds better, which is not always true .... hence the “loudness wars”. Remember with ripped files, different rippers programs output at different levels and some can be set to whatever average level you like. The same is true with streaming. I would guess that they would set it so all their streamed music is at the same volume level.
When I’m comparing files to figure out which one sounds better I use Foobar2000 and apply replay gain to them so I’m hearing them at the same volume level. I always remove it when I done.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 05-21-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I typically avoid recent remasters because making it louder doesn't make it better. But that is the current trend. Remixing is a entirely different issue and it boils down to a case by case basis. Sometimes, a remix is not necessarily a bad thing such as CHiCAGO II remix done by Steve Wilson or those done by Mark Wilder on certain Miles Davis albums. However, I think differently of the recent Beatles remixes.
post #5 of 8 Old 05-21-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman View Post
One thing you have to be aware of is different volume levels. People tend to find the louder version sounds better, which is not always true .... hence the “loudness wars”. Remember with ripped files, different rippers programs output at different levels and some can be set to whatever average level you like. The same is true with streaming. I would guess that they would set it so all their streamed music is at the same volume level.
When I’m comparing files to figure out which one sounds better I use Foobar2000 and apply replay gain to them so I’m hearing them at the same volume level. I always remove it when I done.
Michael Fremer explains bad remastering in the Quincy Jones V the estate of Michael Jackson. At the 16:50 mark he shows an audicy file of both masters.

post #6 of 8 Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 4630 Post(s)
Liked: 3453
Remixing and remastering is not necessarily bad and it is not necessarily good. I just think of it as "version 2".
vzphoneman and SteveC356 like this.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

I see on Apple Music there often is two versions available of reissues. Saxophone Colossus, for example, has a reissue and a “Rudy Van Gelder remaster” There are other jazz reissued recordings that have a Van Gelder remaster.

Last edited by machavez00; 05-27-2019 at 02:01 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Rudy Van Geldar remasters are very good as he was the one who recorded them in the first place. A lot of his recording from the 50's and 60's sound better than modern recordings. Here's a little history on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudy_Van_Gelder
natchie likes this.

The lazy man finds the easiest way ... Ben Franklin

Rouge Audio Cronus Magnum II integrated amp, Goldenear Technology's Triton 2+ speakers, Schiit Bifrost Multibit Dac, Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable with Audio Technica 440ml cartridge, Teac X-1000R reel to reel, custom computer as main music source

Last edited by vzphoneman; 05-25-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page