Narrowing down options for a new setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Narrowing down options for a new setup

I have been out of the 2-channel arena for a while, sticking mainly to home theater. I could really use some input since I feel I am out of my depth here and I’m trying not to have analysis paralysis. My daughter has finally grown out of her “suitcase” record player and for her birthday this summer I would like to set her up with the beginnings of a real sound system. She is still in college with a small apartment, and my A/V dabbling with all the components, racks, cables, and remotes would frustrate her. She watches movies on her laptop with earbuds, listens to a Bluetooth speaker with friends, and used the little record player until recently, so footprint and aesthetics matter. She is a minimalist, so I am thinking plug and play.

I’d like to get her a turntable, desktop/bookshelf speakers, and maybe a sub if the speakers need it, and it “fits.” I am researching the options in my budget, hoping to narrow them down to a few combinations for her to choose from. My initial thoughts were for a good entry-level turntable and a set of powered speakers with a good set of inputs. Passive speakers with a separate amp may work if the amp is small enough and has a phono preamp and the wanted inputs. I’m trying to keep it minimally upgradable, so I’d prefer a phono preamp on the turntable in case she ever adds a receiver without a phono input, but also on the amp/active speakers in case she upgrades the turntable to one without a preamp. I know the amp/passive speakers set up is better and more upgradable, but the simplistic nature of the powered speakers would be more appealing to her. If she ever wanted to go the component route, I would buy the speakers from her for my own small dedicated 2.0 setup in my office. Connections wanted for either setup would be RCA for turntable, Bluetooth, 3.5 mm aux, optical, USB, and sub out. I would consider a sub if the speakers need it to get low enough to sound good. This is not a surround sound system that needs deep rumbling bass for movies, so a smaller one that fits the room and compliments the speakers is all that is needed.

Below are some choices I have narrowed it down to. I am just starting to look at small amps and passive speakers so none are listed and I am definitely open to suggestions. I’d like to keep the sound side to under $600, and the turntable under $400. Help me recruit a potentially budding audiophile.

Turntables:
  • Fluance RT80
  • Fluance RT81
  • Fluance RT82
  • U-Turn Audio Orbit Basic
  • U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus
  • U-Turn Audio Orbit Plus (w/preamp)
  • U-Turn Audio Orbit Custom
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC
  • Pro-Ject Essential III Phono
  • Audio-Technica AT-LPW40WN
  • Audio-Technica AT-LPW30TK
  • Music Hall mmf-1.3
  • Music Hall mmf-1.5
  • TEAC TN-350
  • TEAC TN-400S

Active speakers:
  • Peachtree M24
  • Peachtree M25
  • Kanto YU4
  • Kanto YU6
  • Fluance Ai40
  • Fluance Ai60
  • Klipsch R-41PM
  • Klipsch R-51PM

Subs:
  • Kanto SUB6
  • Kanto SUB8
  • Fluance DB10W
  • Klipsch R-8SW
  • Audioengine S8
  • Polk PSW111
  • Cambridge Audio Minx X201
  • Definitive Tech ProSub 800

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If you want to get super minimal with the cabling Kanto makes the SYD which looks like 2 YU4s mashed into a single box and it maintains the phono preamp. Particularly with the larger ones like the YU6 or the Ai60 most of those subs aren't going to do much more than a 6" driver could in the first place.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-21-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2271 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
And the working budget is ...???

After looking more deeply, it appears to be UNDER $600 for Amp/Speakers and about $400 for the Turntable. So, less than $1000 system total.

That is a pretty considerable system.

One suggestion would be the Edifier R2000DB which are 5.25" speakers with TWO Aux inputs, Optical, Bluetooth, Remote Control - $250/pair. If you want compact, that is compact. But it has a limited number of inputs. Though one Aux for Computer, and one Aux for the Turntable would get the job done, as I understand it.

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speake...th-optical-rca

https://cdn.ventmere.com/edifier-dev...1_BJ8tiDy4.pdf

You can find many video reviews of the R2000DB speakers on YouTube.

All you would then need is a Turntable. You can spend $400, but it is probably not necessary.

Not necessarily the greatest turntable, but the Denon DP-300F is an Auto-Turntable and can be bought with a cartridge upgrade for roughly your budget. The nice thing about this turntable is that it is NOT a manual. Simply push one button and the motor starts, the tonearm lifts and moves to the record, at the end, the tonearm lifts and move to the rest, and shuts the motor off. Very easy and fail safe to use.

Denon DP-300F Auto-Start/Auto-Stop Turntable -

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hifi/turntables/dp300f

https://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-D...atic-Turntable

Denon DP-300F Auto-Start/Auto-Stop Turntable with Ortofon 2M Red Cartridge - $419 -

https://www.needledoctor.com/Denon-D...hono-Cartridge

The Denon DP-300 has a Phono Pre-Amp built in (switchable) so it doesn't need any external component.

That's a complete system in three pieces total for about $670.

There are better Edifier speakers, but they typically only have ONE Aux in. The Edifier S-series are near Studio Quality speakers, and the price reflects that -

Edifier S2000 Pro - 5.5", 1xAux, 1xOptical, 1xCoaxial, Bluetooth - $399/pair -

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speake...tudio-monitors

The S2000 Pro plus the Denon DP300 would be about $820/ set.

Edifier S3000 Pro - 6.5", 1xUSB, 1xOptical, 1xCoaxial, 1xAux, Bluetooth - $799/pr -

https://www.edifier.com/us/en/speakers/s3000pro

The USB would allow a direct connect to a computer, the Aux to the Turntable. All the Edifier Speakers are available from Amazon.

Personally, I would start without a Sub and see where it goes. Many people are more than happy to just listen to bookshelf speakers, especially if space is limited.

The Edifier do not lend themselves well to adding a Subwoofer as there is no Sub-Out.

Nothing wrong with the very fine list of equipment you originally suggested, I'm simply offering a very compact easy to use, easy to move system for under budget.

Also the advantage of the Edifier is that they have a Remote Volume and Source select control. When you are at a desk sitting at a computer, a Remote control is not really necessary. But if you are sitting back in a lounge chair, it saves getting up to control the volume, and you can probably get the TV, BlueRay, and Edifier to all work with a Logitech Universal Remote.

Again, you suggested very fine systems, I suggest the most minimal component system that will be easy to use, very compact, and modestly priced.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 05-21-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-25-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 584
[quote=Adult Beverage;58078234]I have been out of the 2-channel arena for a while, sticking mainly to home theater. I could really use some input since I feel I am out of my depth here and I’m trying not to have analysis paralysis. My daughter has finally grown out of her “suitcase” record player and for her birthday this summer I would like to set her up with the beginnings of a real sound system. She is still in college with a small apartment, and my A/V dabbling with all the components, racks, cables, and remotes would frustrate her. She watches movies on her laptop with earbuds, listens to a Bluetooth speaker with friends, and used the little record player until recently, so footprint and aesthetics matter. She is a minimalist, so I am thinking plug and play.

Active speakers:
  • Peachtree M24
  • Peachtree M25
  • Kanto YU4
  • Kanto YU6
  • Fluance Ai40
  • Fluance Ai60
  • Klipsch R-41PM
  • Klipsch R-51PM

The powered speakers that sound best to me are the PSB Alpha P1.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 28
After discussing the options in the original post with my daughter, I have narrowed it to the choices below. As I mentioned, both aesthetics and footprint matter. She definitely doesn't want any extra "boxes" to deal with, so powered speakers and a preamp built into either the TT or the speakers. She doesn't like a lot of colors, and actually wants the wood look. The list below all seem to be reasonable performers, but does anyone have any first hand pros or cons for them? I narrowed it to larger speakers, so a sub will wait for now (perhaps Christmas after she's had a few months of listening to know what she likes). I am currently leaning towards a Fluance turntable and the Kanto speakers.

Turntables:
  • Fluance RT81
  • Fluance RT82
  • Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC
  • Music Hall mmf-1.5

Active speakers:
  • Kanto YU6
  • Fluance Ai60
  • Klipsch R-51PM

Subs (on hold):
  • Kanto SUB8
  • Klipsch R-8SW
  • Audioengine S8

Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC or Rega Planar 1
Active Speakers: YU Kanto 6 (with Kanto Sub8)

Optional: Consider adding network capable, streaming pre-amplifier (like Yamaha WXC-50 or similar) that will enable you down the road to keep TT (adding a phono stage as well like Schiit Mani) and add passive speaker set with power amp (like Schiit Vidar) after she grows older and discover the audiophile world. This will open a whole new world for her.

Have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page