svs ultra or focal aria 906 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By rocky1
  • 1 Post By alan0354
  • 2 Post By rocky1
  • 1 Post By gbus
  • 1 Post By gbus
  • 1 Post By Class A
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
svs ultra or focal aria 906

I have been researching reviews on these 2 speakers for a while and want to pull the trigger soon.im looking for the highest quality in sound,build quality,and aesthetics.i really love these 2 speakers and are having a hard time decided on which ones to get.i can get them both at 1000 bucks right now.i mainly listen to 2 channel with a subwoofer.i have the svs primes right now with an Hsu subwoofer that is amazing.its come down to really what is the best out of these 2.someone told me that focal aria will be hard to drive with my marantz sr5011 amp.but I thought being 8 ohm speakers it would be fine.i love the look of both speakers and stuck.i really just want the highest quality drivers and crossover.listen to alot mainstream music mostly hip hop but enjoy alot of detail to my music.clear and great vocals something exciting.any thoughts on these 2 right here I appreciate it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 179
svs ultra or focal aria 906

Try and do a search here . There was a shootout thread between the focal 906 ,AA sierra’s and kef ls50 which may be of interest


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #3 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
I tried to find the schematic of SR5011, I can't find it. But I found SR5010 and SR5012. Hopefully SR5011 is in between. I am commenting on SR5010 and SR5012.


You have to be worry about the power amp portion whether it can drive any speaker that is a little hard to drive. Both just have a lot of bells and whistles but the power amp is sub-par at best. Sorry. I attached the schematic of the power amp section, seems like both are very similar, I expect SR5011 to be the same. I kind of explain why I come to the conclusion. Mainly the output section has only ONE pair of output transistors. Natural damping factor is very low to start out. Then the gain of the amp is very low due to the very minimal design, it really does not help to boost the damping factor. A difficult speaker needs high damping factor to tame the impedance swing and this amp cannot have high damping factor.

I own a higher model JM Lab Facal, it's hard to drive.

I have no idea about the SVS Ultra. Can't comment on this one.


But usually the ball part is the 2 channel power amp should be about 50% to 60% of the speaker, I checked, SR5011 is about $750 on Amazon for a 7 ch amp. So the just take 750 X 2/7 = about $220 of the 2channels. It's just too low for a pair of Focal Aria 906 that is about $1500/pair. You can have problem with that.


BUT, talk is cheap, get a pair that you can easily return and try it. All these are just theory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marantz SR5010 power amp.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	2573278  

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 05-29-2019 at 08:46 PM.
alan0354 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I tried to find the schematic of SR5011, I can't find it. But I found SR5010 and SR5012. Hopefully SR5011 is in between. I am commenting on SR5010 and SR5012.


You have to be worry about the power amp portion whether it can drive any speaker that is a little hard to drive. Both just have a lot of bells and whistles but the power amp is sub-par at best. Sorry. I attached the schematic of the power amp section, seems like both are very similar, I expect SR5011 to be the same. I kind of explain why I come to the conclusion. Mainly the output section has only ONE pair of output transistors. Natural damping factor is very low to start out. Then the gain of the amp is very low due to the very minimal design, it really does not help to boost the damping factor. A difficult speaker needs high damping factor to tame the impedance swing and this amp cannot have high damping factor.



I own a higher model JM Lab Facal, it's hard to drive.



I have no idea about the SVS Ultra. Can't comment on this one.
Wow thanks for the response.im new to the audio "hobby".which seems to be getting expensive but the rewards are great.i know the wattage on these receivers are exaggerated.but wasn't sure really what to think.i bought the amp refurbished at accessories 4 less.com but I'm still unsure what to do.i thought the 100 watt per channel would be great.but I understand there are other factors.im looking into buying another amp to use with this marantz in the near future.im just unsure how all this works.i want to get the best performance out what I buy.i know this amplifier has a pre out.but still learning on what all this means.i appreciate your answer.i cant seem to get a straight answer out of anybody I know.any thoughts on a quick inexpensive fix for now and maybe near black Friday maybe invest in a nice amplifier.really need to brush up on this knowledge dont want to buy pointless stuff but just like quality.im leaning towards the svs ultra a little more.or until someone convinces me other wise.appreciate it again

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 09:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
It all depends what's your plan. If you ultimate goal is to have a good system, then Focal is the way to go, then later when you have enough money, get a 2channel power amp as you said you have pre-out on the Marantz. If this is it and you are going to live with in for a long time, then SVS is only 1/3 the price. You have to think long and hard on this. Focal Aria is a high quality speaker, it's for long term, not just today. You can build the system around it.


Depends on whether you are comfortable in buying used power amps, they cost a lot less. Unlike your Marantz that has all the bells and whistles and it's like fashion that can go out of style in a few years, good power amp will last for years/decades to come. I've seen decent used power amp in very good price on ebay. Like my Acurus 3X200, I've seen it on ebay for like $300 or so and that can definitely match the Focal.



BTW, 100W means absolutely NOTHING in quality of the sound. You can have a 200W amp and sounds like crap, and another 50W amp that sounds absolutely sweet. I design amps, due to the size of the heatsink of the chassis, my amps are only [email protected] Let's put it this way, both my 200W/ch Acurus and Nakamichi PA-7 are in the garage sitting on the shelf waiting to be disposed of. These are no dog amps by any stretch particular the PA-7 was designed by Nelson Pass of Pass Lab that cost over $10K.
davidschuld1983 likes this.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,438
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Why not try the marantz as is. If you think u need an amp get it later down the road. My pick would be the focals with the marantz..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbus and davidschuld1983 like this.

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #7 of 24 Old 05-29-2019, 09:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 64
svs ultra or focal aria 906

No personal experience with the Ultras so I can’t comment on those. After some research scouring audio forums and reading reviews I bought the 906’s as upgrades to some Wharfdales I had paired with an Outlaw 2160 stereo receiver in a 2.1 setup.
So far with the Focal’s in that same music only setup, I’ve had no need for the subwoofer as the 906’s sound great on their own and I have zero regrets with the purchase and don’t see myself swapping em out anytime soon.
davidschuld1983 likes this.

Last edited by gbus; 05-29-2019 at 09:59 PM.
gbus is online now  
post #8 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I appreciate all these comments.i kind of burnt up all my review material on Google and YouTube on these specific speakers.so it's a hard decision.every day I seem to change my mind on what to get.coming on this app was a good idea.some good information on the forums.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
No personal experience with the Ultras so I can’t comment on those. After some research scouring audio forums and reading reviews I bought the 906’s as upgrades to some Wharfdales I had paired with an Outlaw 2160 stereo receiver in a 2.1 setup.
So far with the Focal’s in that same music only setup, I’ve had no need for the subwoofer as the 906’s sound great on their own and I have zero regrets with the purchase and don’t see myself swapping em out anytime soon.
Hey thanks for your comment.i like the way the aria look.i think they are a little unique and from what I here you cant go wrong with the focal brand.how do you think your impressions are after you got them in person?does the leather look great in person and do they look like its holding up.i know I'm going to live with this decision for a while just want to make the right one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
It all depends what's your plan. If you ultimate goal is to have a good system, then Focal is the way to go, then later when you have enough money, get a 2channel power amp as you said you have pre-out on the Marantz. If this is it and you are going to live with in for a long time, then SVS is only 1/3 the price. You have to think long and hard on this. Focal Aria is a high quality speaker, it's for long term, not just today. You can build the system around it.


Depends on whether you are comfortable in buying used power amps, they cost a lot less. Unlike your Marantz that has all the bells and whistles and it's like fashion that can go out of style in a few years, good power amp will last for years/decades to come. I've seen decent used power amp in very good price on ebay. Like my Acurus 3X200, I've seen it on ebay for like $300 or so and that can definitely match the Focal.



BTW, 100W means absolutely NOTHING in quality of the sound. You can have a 200W amp and sounds like crap, and another 50W amp that sounds absolutely sweet. I design amps, due to the size of the heatsink of the chassis, my amps are only [email protected] Let's put it this way, both my 200W/ch Acurus and Nakamichi PA-7 are in the garage sitting on the shelf waiting to be disposed of. These are no dog amps by any stretch particular the PA-7 was designed by Nelson Pass of Pass Lab that cost over $10K.
Hey I appreciate your feedback.you have other suggestions on a good 2 to 3 channel power amps.other then the ones you suggested.and what really to look for in these amps.what makes these amps better then the rest.i try to do alot research it's a little fun I guess.maybe between 300-500 dollar range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Hey thanks for your comment.i like the way the aria look.i think they are a little unique and from what I here you cant go wrong with the focal brand.how do you think your impressions are after you got them in person?does the leather look great in person and do they look like its holding up.i know I'm going to live with this decision for a while just want to make the right one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk


My 906’s are the piano white version. The black leather face and the gloss black glass top contrasts very nicely to the gloss white cabinets and the flax driver.
The rear leather panel is also a nice touch but for me it’s not in the field of vision very often but have to give them credit on the follow through.
These materials along with Focal’s fit and finish seem top notch and the speakers sound as good as they look and as previously mentioned I definitely have no sonic driven desire to change or replace them.

Sorry not the best lighting for a picture but here they are in my simple 2.0 setup,
davidschuld1983 likes this.
gbus is online now  
post #12 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

Have you checked out any stores that are in a reasonable driving distance from where you live? Focals have an excellent reputation but not everyone likes them. That goes for every product in the market. I know for example a lot of people like Monitor Audio speakers but they are not for me. Not that it's a bad speaker but just a personal choice. I would go out and try to demo some speakers and you'll be in a better position to make the right choice for you.
Class A is online now  
post #13 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Hey I appreciate your feedback.you have other suggestions on a good 2 to 3 channel power amps.other then the ones you suggested.and what really to look for in these amps.what makes these amps better then the rest.i try to do alot research it's a little fun I guess.maybe between 300-500 dollar range.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I was looking for the Acurus and I found the one exactly like mine, it's Acurus 200X3 3channels 200W each channel amp. The seller asked too much, nobody bit, the asking is $599. I've seen it cheaper. I would contact the seller and offer $400 or $450. Apparently the price has gone up. I cannot put up link as it's not allow here.



I used this amp for 17 years on my JM Lab Spectral 913.1, it was good enough until I really got into designing amps. I am to the point I am shopping for a better speakers as my amps surpassed the quality of my speakers.



Where do you live? I live in Sunnyvale Ca. in the heart of silicon valley close to San Jose. If you live close by, you can come and listen first. I am willing to sell it for say $300. I just do NOT want to deal with shipping and all that. I am NOT into selling, it's just sitting there. I am even willing to sell the Nakamichi PA-7 for $350 to $400, that's half price than anyone on ebay. I just DO NOT SHIP, rather let it sit and die. Don't even want to put on ebay and go through all the hassles. You can buy it, test to your heart content, don't like it, bring it back and I'll pay you back. It's not a business for me and not interested in it. I just buy!!!


Aria 906 is a very good pair of speakers, it deserves a good enough amp.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Have you checked out any stores that are in a reasonable driving distance from where you live? Focals have an excellent reputation but not everyone likes them. That goes for every product in the market. I know for example a lot of people like Monitor Audio speakers but they are not for me. Not that it's a bad speaker but just a personal choice. I would go out and try to demo some speakers and you'll be in a better position to make the right choice for you.



It is not a fair comparison, I do have a pair of bookshelf Monitor Audio Silver series speakers. Monitor Audio is a little darker than my JM Lab, Focal seems to be a brighter speaker. But the Focal has much much better resolution, separation and sound stage. Of cause, my Focal is much higher model than the Monitor Audio, it's not a fair comparison. But I believe the Aria 906 is getting up there.


This is just my experience.


Hell, look at my equipment description, the ones that I am not using are stacking up and collecting dust, I am willing to sell them for really cheap, just no shipping, pick up only.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
It is not a fair comparison, I do have a pair of bookshelf Monitor Audio Silver series speakers. Monitor Audio is a little darker than my JM Lab, Focal seems to be a brighter speaker. But the Focal has much much better resolution, separation and sound stage. Of cause, my Focal is much higher model than the Monitor Audio, it's not a fair comparison. But I believe the Aria 906 is getting up there.


This is just my experience.


Hell, look at my equipment description, the ones that I am not using are stacking up and collecting dust, I am willing to sell them for really cheap, just no shipping, pick up only.
I'm not comparing speakers. What I alluded to was what a person likes is up to them. I'm sure you've heard people rave about a certain speaker and you eventually heard them and were not impressed. Hey I once owned Thiel 2.3's and I know that some people absolutely hated them. That's life.
Class A is online now  
post #16 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
I'm not comparing speakers. What I alluded to was what a person likes is up to them. I'm sure you've heard people rave about a certain speaker and you eventually heard them and were not impressed. Hey I once owned Thiel 2.3's and I know that some people absolutely hated them. That's life.

I know what you mean, I just happen to have both brand so I just share my experience. My stepson gave me the Monitor Audio, I got to choose between the floor standing and the small one. I decided on the small one as I already have a big pair. Can you imagine he gave away two pairs of monitor Audio in favor of a sound bar!!! He gave me a Yamaha receiver which I already gave away.


I thought Thiel are very good speakers. I am interested in listening to one. I am at the process of buying a better pair of speakers, it's going to be big. Big Boss already giving ultimatum of getting rid of some "junk". Next will be from garage to the shed outside!!!

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Class A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NH
Posts: 3,672
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 5250
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I know what you mean, I just happen to have both brand so I just share my experience. My stepson gave me the Monitor Audio, I got to choose between the floor standing and the small one. I decided on the small one as I already have a big pair. Can you imagine he gave away two pairs of monitor Audio in favor of a sound bar!!! He gave me a Yamaha receiver which I already gave away.


I thought Thiel are very good speakers. I am interested in listening to one. I am at the process of buying a better pair of speakers, it's going to be big. Big Boss already giving ultimatum of getting rid of some "junk". Next will be from garage to the shed outside!!!
Thiels love amps w/high current. I used (still have them) a pair of modified Threshold T-50's. I bought them off a former employee of Threshold. He had them modified a Threshold to work as 100 wpm mono block class A amps. They have something like 22 bipolar outputs. The person doing the mod was Michael Bladalius hired by Nelson Pass who developed the Forte 4A amp which I once owned. Michael now owns a Audio company located in Sweden. Those amps added about $25 a month to my electric bill.
alan0354 likes this.
Class A is online now  
post #18 of 24 Old 05-30-2019, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
alan0354's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 2,545
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Thiels love amps w/high current. I used (still have them) a pair of modified Threshold T-50's. I bought them off a former employee of Threshold. He had them modified a Threshold to work as 100 wpm mono block class A amps. They have something like 22 bipolar outputs. The person doing the mod was Michael Bladalius hired by Nelson Pass who developed the Forte 4A amp which I once owned. Michael now owns a Audio company located in Sweden. Those amps added about $25 a month to my electric bill.



Wow, 22 transistor....11 pairs of output transistors. That's nice. I am sure it can source enough current to drive the Thiels. That make me question people that don't like Thiel, whether they have a good enough amp to drive them. If the amp is too weak, it can sound lame.


Yes, for 100W class A, the idle power is like 240W/channel, your amp is burning 500W sitting there. But it must be sweet.



Before I bought my Nakamichi PA-7, I had a chance to buy a Krell KSA250 250W class A amp!! It was relatively cheap of $1800+shipping. It was a really good price. Problem is it's 250W/ch or about 1300W of heat idling. Not only the cost of electricity, it's the air conditioning cost to use the amp!! I ended up buying the PA-7. I regret every bit of it as it's for used as reference for me to design against. PA-7 is just not good enough and is waiting for disposal.



I believe the KSA250 was so cheap because people know it burns too much power. The KSA100 100W/ch costed more than that. I should have bought it just to keep it. Never seen it that cheap anymore.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
alan0354 is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 06-01-2019, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
I was looking for the Acurus and I found the one exactly like mine, it's Acurus 200X3 3channels 200W each channel amp. The seller asked too much, nobody bit, the asking is $599. I've seen it cheaper. I would contact the seller and offer $400 or $450. Apparently the price has gone up. I cannot put up link as it's not allow here.



I used this amp for 17 years on my JM Lab Spectral 913.1, it was good enough until I really got into designing amps. I am to the point I am shopping for a better speakers as my amps surpassed the quality of my speakers.



Where do you live? I live in Sunnyvale Ca. in the heart of silicon valley close to San Jose. If you live close by, you can come and listen first. I am willing to sell it for say $300. I just do NOT want to deal with shipping and all that. I am NOT into selling, it's just sitting there. I am even willing to sell the Nakamichi PA-7 for $350 to $400, that's half price than anyone on ebay. I just DO NOT SHIP, rather let it sit and die. Don't even want to put on ebay and go through all the hassles. You can buy it, test to your heart content, don't like it, bring it back and I'll pay you back. It's not a business for me and not interested in it. I just buy!!!


Aria 906 is a very good pair of speakers, it deserves a good enough amp.
Hey man hows it going?I appreciate your advice.i live in Tampa florida.and other then best buy there really isn't much of audio stores that i know of that are any good.i know I asked you about what makes a good amp to buy to use with the pre out on my marantz sr5011.i was checking out the emotiva basx a-300 to help drive my 2 front speakers.any thoughts on that amp?I know you said you design amps.im just wondering really what to look for when it comes to buying a solid amp to get the best rms wattage to power my 2.1 system.thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 06-01-2019, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Hey man hows it going?I appreciate your advice.i live in Tampa florida.and other then best buy there really isn't much of audio stores that i know of that are any good.i know I asked you about what makes a good amp to buy to use with the pre out on my marantz sr5011.i was checking out the emotiva basx a-300 to help drive my 2 front speakers.any thoughts on that amp?I know you said you design amps.im just wondering really what to look for when it comes to buying a solid amp to get the best rms wattage to power my 2.1 system.thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Another question?are digital amps worth anything?I've been researching the difference in amps.i see that alot of people are switching to class d amps.they seem to be less expensive then a ab amp.any thoughts on that.is it just better sound quality with the older amps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 06-01-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,494
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 11245
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Hey man hows it going?I appreciate your advice.i live in Tampa florida.and other then best buy there really isn't much of audio stores that i know of that are any good.i know I asked you about what makes a good amp to buy to use with the pre out on my marantz sr5011.i was checking out the emotiva basx a-300 to help drive my 2 front speakers.any thoughts on that amp?I know you said you design amps.im just wondering really what to look for when it comes to buying a solid amp to get the best rms wattage to power my 2.1 system.thanks in advance for your comments

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Another question?are digital amps worth anything?I've been researching the difference in amps.i see that alot of people are switching to class d amps.they seem to be less expensive then a ab amp.any thoughts on that.is it just better sound quality with the older amps

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi,

I just happened to see your thread and read through all of the posts. It seems to me that you have switched your focus from what pair of speakers should I buy, to how can I get more amplifier power? Those are completely different questions. A lot of people, including some pretty serious AV professionals and enthusiasts, do not use external amps. A lot depends on the individual, the room, the listening volume, and the speakers, but your Marantz AVR is not inherently underpowered; especially for most 2-channel applications.

If you already like the sound quality of your Primes, then the Ultra's will be similar, but a bit better. In that case, you can take advantage of SVS's free-trial period. You can try a pair of their speakers for 45-days and have free return shipping if they don't satisfy you. On the other hand, if you really want to try a different sound signature, you can try a pair of the Focal's. At the worst, you would only be out return shipping for them if you don't like them. And, at that point, if you do like the speakers, but feel that your AVR is straining a little, you can always look for an external amplifier.

I really think that you would be better served by that more systematic approach to your speaker selection. You won't know for sure what you like until you try something else in your room. And, you won't know for sure whether you need more amplifier power unless you try the Focal's with your Marantz, in your room. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #22 of 24 Old 06-01-2019, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I just happened to see your thread and read through all of the posts. It seems to me that you have switched your focus from what pair of speakers should I buy, to how can I get more amplifier power? Those are completely different questions. A lot of people, including some pretty serious AV professionals and enthusiasts, do not use external amps. A lot depends on the individual, the room, the listening volume, and the speakers, but your Marantz AVR is not inherently underpowered; especially for most 2-channel applications.

If you already like the sound quality of your Primes, then the Ultra's will be similar, but a bit better. In that case, you can take advantage of SVS's free-trial period. You can try a pair of their speakers for 45-days and have free return shipping if they don't satisfy you. On the other hand, if you really want to try a different sound signature, you can try a pair of the Focal's. At the worst, you would only be out return shipping for them if you don't like them. And, at that point, if you do like the speakers, but feel that your AVR is straining a little, you can always look for an external amplifier.

I really think that you would be better served by that more systematic approach to your speaker selection. You won't know for sure what you like until you try something else in your room. And, you won't know for sure whether you need more amplifier power unless you try the Focal's with your Marantz, in your room. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike
Yes I appreciate your comments.i decided to go with the svs ultras.im trading in the primes and going with them.the 45 day period is a really good incentive.i was just thinking of future if the marantz does not power them correctly.just want to get the best performance I can out my system.again I'm really new to the game.this hobby has been fun and rewarding.just looking to future proof as well.main focus is to get the full performance out of the 2 front speakers that's it.i read alot of stuff and sometimes get confused of everybody's opinion.i know its subjective.but I get confused about the true rms wattage.i hear some people say I'm not getting the full 100 watts per channel just confuse me because I thought it would do for the system.but if I'm not getting full 100 watt rms then I want to look elsewhere to get that and more now that these svs ultras recommended up to 150

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
davidschuld1983 is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 06-01-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS ***** Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 8,494
Mentioned: 380 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5668 Post(s)
Liked: 11245
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Yes I appreciate your comments.i decided to go with the svs ultras.im trading in the primes and going with them.the 45 day period is a really good incentive.i was just thinking of future if the marantz does not power them correctly.just want to get the best performance I can out my system.again I'm really new to the game.this hobby has been fun and rewarding.just looking to future proof as well.main focus is to get the full performance out of the 2 front speakers that's it.i read alot of stuff and sometimes get confused of everybody's opinion.i know its subjective.but I get confused about the true rms wattage.i hear some people say I'm not getting the full 100 watts per channel just confuse me because I thought it would do for the system.but if I'm not getting full 100 watt rms then I want to look elsewhere to get that and more now that these svs ultras recommended up to 150

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You are very welcome! That sounds like a good decision to take advantage of the upgrade program. I know that some of the concepts used can be a little confusing at first. SVS is not actually recommending that you use 150 watts, they are simply noting that those speakers can be powered by amplifiers delivering between 20 and 150 watts. In all likelihood, you won't even come close to using the amplifier power that your Marantz produces.

But, for the record, a doubling in RMS watts equals a 3db increase in volume. So, going from a 100 watt per channel amplifier (and the Marantz specs are reliable for 2-channels) to a 150 watt per channel amp, would gain you a grand total of 1.5db more max output. Your Marantz AVR will be perfectly fine for the Ultra's, as many people on the SVS thread can tell you.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #24 of 24 Old 01-10-2020, 09:23 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidschuld1983 View Post
Yes I appreciate your comments.i decided to go with the svs ultras.im trading in the primes and going with them.the 45 day period is a really good incentive.i was just thinking of future if the marantz does not power them correctly.just want to get the best performance I can out my system.again I'm really new to the game.this hobby has been fun and rewarding.just looking to future proof as well.main focus is to get the full performance out of the 2 front speakers that's it.i read alot of stuff and sometimes get confused of everybody's opinion.i know its subjective.but I get confused about the true rms wattage.i hear some people say I'm not getting the full 100 watts per channel just confuse me because I thought it would do for the system.but if I'm not getting full 100 watt rms then I want to look elsewhere to get that and more now that these svs ultras recommended up to 150

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Seeing you ended up with the Ultra's, how do you like them? I have been trying to decide b/w SVS Ultras, Ascend Sierras, and RSL CG25s. Now Focal has entered the picture--love the way they look. Too many options.
Todd Werner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply 2-Channel Audio

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off