NAD M10 vs. Naim Audio's Atom Uniti - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By FSurbo15
  • 1 Post By KenM10759

post #1 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 265
NAD M10 vs. Naim Audio's Atom Uniti

Here a review of the NAD M10 (unfortunately tested with limited Dirac Live only) including a comparison with Naim's Atom Uniti:
https://www.soundstagesimplifi.com/i...ated-amplifier

Flavio

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
$2500 and it doesn't come with a remote? Seems odd for a device where they look like they're trying to pack as many features and tricks into a tiny box as they can.

The Dirac live is interesting but considering you can add that to a system via a $400 miniDSP I don't see it as that great of a selling point but this seems like it would work well for someone who wants a small compact all-in-one device with a ton of features.
post #3 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1616 Post(s)
Liked: 418
I would get a separate power amp, don't mix in all the DAC and other fancy stuffs in the same unit. Those DAC and stuffs are like fashion, in a few years( or less), you'll have newer and better things coming out and what you have will be out of style, the resale of your unit will be down in the dump( if you can even sell it, like who want an I-phone 5, you can't even give it away even though you paid over $1000 a few years ago!!)

Power amps don't go out of style, a good one will last you decades. Buy separate preamp with all the fashion stuffs, be ready to dump it in the garbage can in 3 years.

BTW, no remote is a deal breaker for me already. There's no way I'd would live with something I need to get up and change volume.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
The Master Series is NAD's flagship line. They have much less expensive options (plus the street price is lower than the list price).

Might I ask your ages?

Older males seem to like remotes. Most women hate them. BlueOS is all about app control. There is no need for a physical remote [or to get up from your seat]. If you want to stack a Bluesound node, MiniDSP and amp or active speakers you can. They've covered all of the bases.

NAD's M10 demo at Axpona was quite impressive for me. This is a beautiful piece of hardware. I love the display!

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 06-03-2019 at 09:46 PM.
post #5 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
NAD is my go-to for AVRs and all-in-ones. Up until I fell in love with separates.
post #6 of 18 Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yep, separate is the way to go for reason I stated in my post already. Also, your selection is a lot greater going separate.

Remote is a must for me, been using remote for over 20 years. My wife loves remote also. I build my own integrated amps, I have to spend like $50 to buy the remote unit with motor volume, more work to mill the panels to fit the stuffs just to make sure I have remote volume control on my amps. I was not that old when I addicted to remote!!!

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
The Master Series is NAD's flagship line. They have much less expensive options (plus the street price is lower than the list price).

Might I ask your ages?

Older males seem to like remotes. Most women hate them. BlueOS is all about app control. There is no need for a physical remote [or to get up from your seat]. If you want to stack a Bluesound node, MiniDSP and amp or active speakers you can. They've covered all of the bases.

NAD's M10 demo at Axpona was quite impressive for me. This is a beautiful piece of hardware. I love the display!
This reminds me how auto-manufacturers thought it was a good idea to remove simple buttons like volume or climate controls to the "infotainment" system on the touch screen. Most of those manufacturers have taken a step back and these basic functions now have physical buttons once again.

I don't want to go to an app every time I want to change the volume or do something simple.
alan0354 likes this.
post #8 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSurbo15 View Post
This reminds me how auto-manufacturers thought it was a good idea to remove simple buttons like volume or climate controls to the "infotainment" system on the touch screen. Most of those manufacturers have taken a step back and these basic functions now have physical buttons once again.

I don't want to go to an app every time I want to change the volume or do something simple.
This is so true, we bought a 2018 car, we regret it. Our car was in the shop at least a month and half in the first half year. The radio keep changing, we finally found out there is a small touch pad on the steering wheel that if your sleeve accidentally touched it, it will change the station. Even the foreman never told us about that and keep looking at the center console touch pad. All that mouse like control is just inconvenient.

Not to mention they are like computers, they are buggy, doing funny things and cannot be repeated.

And for the life of me, I don't understand why the faster the CPU, the slower everything responds.

I have the same brand 2014 SUV, it still have the conventional buttons, never been to the shop yet, everything responds right away instead of waiting for 2 seconds before responding.

OK, enough of the ranting, back to the subject. That's the reason I advice separate power amp. Can you imagine if you have the integrated amp and in a few years new gadgets come out and you have to dump the good power amp along with it? Buy a good power amp that will last for decades, they buy preamp as disposable fashion item and keep changing it.

This is not a cheap unit, from the size, is it a Class D amp? I would spend the money buying a good Class AB power amp instead.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-04-2019 at 09:40 AM.
post #9 of 18 Old 06-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I've been keeping my eye on stuff like the M10 and uniti line and I think little boxes like this are the future of home audio for a lot of people over full sized separate components. It seems like there's still some refinement (remotes, neither the BluOS NADs or Naim uniti do proper bass management, some kind of pass through for home theater) but I'd guess that's just a matter of time. I think the first company to get something like this (with less expensive components) under $999 and then $499 will do well. I think the market is getting over soundbars and the "single box" stereo solution, especially with how good room correction is getting, HDMI ARC and a smaller size than an AVR, is going to become a significant part of the space. The $599 Sonos Amp is almost there, IMO it just needs a couple more inputs and maybe a source indicator.

Last edited by qirex; 06-04-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: typos
post #10 of 18 Old 06-06-2019, 05:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 893
I own the Naim Uniti Star, it’s the middle unit in the lineup, and honestly after owning separate integrated amps and dacs, Mac mini for streaming, CD player etc. this Star is honestly better sounding then all of them separately. I’m powering Dynaudio Contour 20s and this Uniti handles them very well. Also Naim has made this Uniti firmware upgradable, heck it just added Airplay2. A very good piece of all in one gear. IMO
post #11 of 18 Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Here another article about the NAD M10:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/nad-m10

Warning: My posts might be biased even if in good faith, I work for Dirac Research :-)
post #12 of 18 Old 06-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
This is not a cheap unit, from the size, is it a Class D amp? I would spend the money buying a good Class AB power amp instead.

Yes. Class D. Many of these mid-range (<$5k) super integrated amps are going that way. Hypex modules are in a lot of devices these days. You can even build DIY Hypex based monoblocks. Class D is not just for car audio anymore!
post #13 of 18 Old 06-29-2019, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 36
For the same money I could get a pair of monitor audio bronze 2 standa, subwoofer network player and a stereo receiver like the Yamaha RS300, TechnicalPro RX55Uribt (which has amp preouts) and a nice cabinet to put it in and a turntable and preamp.

Id hide the streamer but keep the amp and turntable visible because I prefer the look of a normal amp to an all in one streamer amp which to me looks like a toy

Class D isn't my cup of tea which is why I avoided getting the SMSL AD18 and got Generic stereo receiver with dual subwoofer outs instead lol.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-30-2019, 05:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3279 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post
For the same money I could get a pair of monitor audio bronze 2 standa, subwoofer network player and a stereo receiver like the Yamaha RS300, TechnicalPro RX55Uribt (which has amp preouts) and a nice cabinet to put it in and a turntable and preamp.

Id hide the streamer but keep the amp and turntable visible because I prefer the look of a normal amp to an all in one streamer amp which to me looks like a toy

Class D isn't my cup of tea which is why I avoided getting the SMSL AD18 and got Generic stereo receiver with dual subwoofer outs instead lol.
To each their own. This unit may look like a toy to you, but for me it's pure cool and it's performance stands up to any test.

Class D amps of only a few years ago might have been a bit harsh, but here we are now with VERY refined sound. I'd challenge you to a double-blind test, but have a feeling you wouldn't try because none of it is in your cost-performance range. It took years for mine to evolve to this level, and I have no regrets that it did.

As for bass management, the Dirac Live capabilities of this unit only get better. Just like the BluOS control, it's continuous improvements from Dirac. It works brilliantly and there's more coming from Dirac.
Class A likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #15 of 18 Old 07-01-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1991 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Darko made a nice vid of the M10.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #16 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thumbs up Another perspective on the remote thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan0354 View Post
BTW, no remote is a deal breaker for me already. There's no way I'd would live with something I need to get up and change volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSurbo15 View Post

I have an NAD M10. I had the same initial anxiety, but after the first 5 minutes of figuring out how it works, I haven't ever missed the remote.

Guys, you aren't grasping the way that you use one of these devices. The front panel isn't used at all, you drive the entire user experience from a smartphone. If you want to play Spotify, you play that in the Spotify app. Adjusting volume is done directly there and it causes the unit to change volume.

The same is true for any of the other streaming services, whether controlled in the BluOS app or not. You browse the service, choose your song, and play it. You wouldn't then put down the smartphone and pick up a separate remote to control the volume, you just hit the volume control on the side of the phone at the same time that you're controlling the music. The NAD M10 changes volume instantly. If you're mid-song and need to change volume, you just pick up the smartphone and hit the volume buttons. It works.

For TV volume (via HDMI ARC), my smart TV passes volume +/- commands (from the TV remote) through the HDMI connection, and the NAD changes volume instantly as expected.

The only time I've had to be intentional or think through changing volume is when using an external legacy source like a CD player. But in that case, I either made a quick adjustment on the front panel (since I was there to physically put a CD in the player anyway) or I pulled up the BluOS app on my phone to trim volume. The phone is always in my pocket anyway, so it's not like it's something I have to search for.

Hope this helps.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3279 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
If I have the Bluesound app running in the background on my Android phone and no other app is using the sound, the volume control is live for the M10. Convenient as any remote control and I think I'll see if I can program my Harmony Elite to run it too. I won't use it for that but am curious to know if folks are complaining about something that has multiple ways to solve it.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-16-2019, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I think I'll see if I can program my Harmony Elite to run it too.
In addition to the native functions, the config for the M10 has the ability to trigger various features on received IR signals from any remote from any manufacturer. You can choose the function you want to trigger and the unit will learn the IR code for a button press from whatever remote you want to use. So you can have control via any remote you'd like.

It seems most useful for triggering volume from a device that doesn't natively pass instructions through to the unit, but there are other applications for the IR function as well, either with chained home automation actions, or group commands on something like a Harmony, or simply to support a third party remote of some kind. For example there are some great billet aluminum remotes out there with simple power/volume buttons for people who would like that particular experience, and the device supports that if it's what you're into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page