Need speaker placement advice - new room - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By RAART
  • 1 Post By RAART
  • 1 Post By Scotth3886

post #1 of 16 Old 06-05-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need speaker placement advice - new room

Hi Folks -- Need your help! I am setting up a 2-channel listening room in a newly constructed space. We moved into a new house and added a room above a 2-car garage for my office and music listening room. I attached a drawing of the room. Because of the roof slope and dormers, the room has an unusual shape like a big "+". Before the drywall is installed I need to run the speaker wires, power, etc for the system. So I need to know where to place the gear and speakers. I will have a pair of floorstanding tower speakers, 1 or 2-subs, some amps, CD/streamer, turntable...

Look at the pic and let me know how you think I should configure this room. The furniture and gear is movable - the walls/windows are not.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Listening RM.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	2576252  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-05-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1509
I only see two good options, one is the way it is laid out, though perhaps with the desk/couch back a bit farther. Though my math my be a bit off, the straight line distance from the plane of the speaker to the listener is just short of 7 feet, if you could make that a bit farther, it might be helpful. Though obviously there are limit to how far you can go, especially if you want to walk behind the desk. But, farther if you can.

The second option which seems to give more flexibility for speaker placement and a bit more distance between the speakers and the listener, would be to shift everything sideways. Put the Desk/Couch near the stairs, and the speaker near the window on the Right (good view, not great view). That would give you enough distance to place the speakers forward of the wall behind, and inward from the Side Walls.

In all honesty, I think either one of these will work. Can we assume the audio equipment will be between the speakers.

I realize this is only an illustration, but if and how much the speakers will need to be toed-in depends on the individual speakers, and the listener preference. If a speaker seem overly bright, rather than point them directly at you, point them more forward. Typically relative to toe-in there is a sweet spot where you get good tweeter dispersion, and wide sound stage. This is also influenced by the room. Do find the best you can in your room through experimentation.

Myself, it would depend on whether I wanted a more optimum layout or whether I wanted to look out the window (great view). Again, I think either configuration can and will work, but for audio, the best is for things to be sideways with the speaker on the Right side wall.

The placement of the speaker does NOT have to be a perfect equilateral triangle. Speaker placement just need to be symmetrical relative to the Prime Seating Location. The seating distance, straight line distance to the plane of the speakers, is typically from equal to the distance between the speakers to double that distance. The equilateral triangle is a guideline not a law.

Steve/bluewizard
post #3 of 16 Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Actually I think what you have is quite close already for starter. Remember even if you cannot move the speaker too much after the wiring, you can move your desk back and fore a little. That's as good as moving the speakers. As for toe in and out, you have to do it on the fly, just adjust and listen.

I would put the speakers as is, then walk around and listen and pick the spot for best sound and put your desk.

Ha ha, looking at a few of the drawings of rooms here, houses you guys have are so big!!! For cry out loud, my house is not small in my area at 2500sqft, my biggest room is only 14'X20'!!! I so wish I have a bigger room.

Own designed power amp, own designed preamp, JM LAB Spectral 913.1 speakers, Rythmik F12SE sub.
Not hooked up: Nakamichi Stasis PA-7 power amp, Velodyne VA1210 sub, Kef Reference Series center, Kef Bookshelf speaker, Monitor Audio bookshelf speaker, Infinity rear speakers. Acurus 3X200W amp.

Last edited by alan0354; 06-05-2019 at 08:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 37
What I will do...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Listening RM-EDIT.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	2576542  
Scotth3886 and Transmaniacon like this.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAART View Post
What I will do...
Much better IMO. I was concerned about the space behind the speakers in the original setup but much of the setup depends on the speakers and how far from the side and rear walls they need to be for optimal sound quality.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-06-2019, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
What I will do...
post #7 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Some great suggestions everyone -- thank-you. I think I will definitely look at turning my original plan sidewise. I also think I will run speaker wire and power to both locations.... to give me some flexibility in the future.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I just want to mention that you don’t need window behind you at your work desk while window will create glare and reflection on your monitor/display. The couch can be moved back or front depending on your preference if you go with plan I mentioned... trust me on display glare, you will need to avoid this (ex-pro photographer here)...
Transmaniacon likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-08-2019, 01:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
What I will do...
Yea, I like sideways too. One thing you didn't mention was, what speakers? Based on your diagram, if they are rear ported, I'd bring them a bit forward (2 ft from the wall) and a bit inward toward each other (1-2 ft from the wall). Front ported speakers would give you a bit more flexibility. The exact placement is something you can experiment with when you set it up, but I'd start with a couple of ft as a guide.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
post #10 of 16 Old 06-08-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3755 Post(s)
Liked: 2303
Quote:
What I will do...

You don't want MLP at 50% into the room as that's a BIG bass null. Best to get the speakers several feet out into the room from the front wall in most circumstances.

'Rule of Thirds' can be a good place to start with speakers 1/3rd of the way into the room with MLP 1/3rd of the way into the room from the back wall and noodle around from there.
leecreek likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-09-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2610 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
What I will do...
Just put the desk on the opposite side (bottom of pic), so you get the good view .... unless, of course, the view is of a young, shapely, clothing optional sunbather next door ... then you'll never get any work done!

It's a VIRTUAL channel unless stated otherwise.

Last edited by RayGuy; 06-09-2019 at 07:23 PM.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1785 Post(s)
Liked: 1618
Quote:
What I will do...

This is what I would suggest as well, though with the sofa moved back some towards the stairs.

You’ll want those speakers pulled away from the side and right walls as well.

Also as mentioned, having a window behind you is awful for monitor glare. If the desk can fit in that dormer at the top, I think it would work well.

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
post #13 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What I will do...
Though purely your choice, but you do have room to put the Desk behind the Sofa facing the speakers.

They we assume you would be able to use the Stereo system also as your computer sound system.

Original -

LATEST -

There are a lot of aspects that are pure preference. In that room, I would be inclined to put the Computer Desk (I assume Computer Desk) Behind the Couch facing the speakers.

The alcove at the top where the Desk is shown in the second photo could be used for storage of media and office files.

The RED Couch is significantly over sized, relatively speaking it looks about 10ft long. The original Gray Couch seemed closer to scale. I would also be inclined to move the Red Couch back so the back of the couch is about even with the vertical 24ft dimension line. Move the speaker narrower (farther form the side wall) and Forward so you have between 1ft and 2ft behind them. Things are not the clear because they are not to scale, but I think if your rotate the Gray Couch and Desk 90° facing the Right Wall, the scale would be about right. Them move it to the left so the back of the couch is roughly even with the vertical 24ft dimension line.

Using the 15ft right wall as a reference, the Gray Couch is about 6.4ft, the Red Couch is 10ft, so the Gray Couch is more to scale. The Gray Desk, again using the 15ft wall as a reference, is about 5.7ft. A typical desk is in the 4ft to 5ft range. So, the point is, the Gray Couch and Desk are very close to scale.

Difficult to know for sure when I'm not there and can't see the actual furniture. But as stated is my best intuitive guess.

As to getting the sound from the Computer Desk (again, assuming it is a computer desk) if your Computer and Amp have Blueooth, that solves that; transmit from the Computer to the Stereo.

Though there are other potential options. You can extend USB (as an example) using Network Transmiter/Receiver over 100's of feet. (USB over CAT5)

One example, though these are pretty expensive -

https://sewelldirect.com/ul-link-ul10-by-sewell

There are other similar products, I referenced this one for convenience.

Common RCA cable can be run (in theory) up to 100ft.

Again, getting expensive but there are wireless Computer to Stereo systems -

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/adap...-wireless-dac/

Still, in making these suggestions I am making some assumptions about the system and how it will be used, assumptions I can't really know for sure. But in concept, I stand by what I said.

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-11-2019 at 02:33 PM.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This is closer to what I had in mind, though of course, the details are purely up to you -

Actually the Couch and Desk could be a bit more forward (to the right). Best guess assuming scale, the front of the couch is about 12ft from the Plane of the Speakers. You could easily reduce that to 10ft. Best guess the speakers are about 10 ft apart (center to center) and are forward by about 2ft and about 2ft from the side wall. All referencing the 15ft dimension which on my screen is about 5.25".

That should create very good sound. Nicely placed and nicely spaced speakers, at a good listening distance with some flexibility in the distance from the couch to the speakers (10ft to 12ft).

Of course, again, I am making a lot of assumptions and flat out guesses, but as before, in principle, I stand by what I am saying.

Just a thought.

Steve/Bluewizard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Listening RM-Mod1.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	2578868  

Last edited by bluewizard; 06-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewizard View Post
This is closer to what I had in mind, though of course, the details are purely up to you -
Steve/Bluewizard
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. Your assumptions are good. That was closer to my original idea but it seems weird to have my back against the stairway. I was hoping to be able to listen to the system while sitting at my desk or the couch. Because there is not a obvious "perfect" solution, I have decided to place my equipment between the speakers to eliminate the need to run speaker wire in the walls. That will allow me to move everything around more easily and try different options.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skohlmey View Post
.... I was hoping to be able to listen to the system while sitting at my desk or the couch. Because there is not a obvious "perfect" solution, I have decided to place my equipment between the speakers to eliminate the need to run speaker wire in the walls. That will allow me to move everything around more easily and try different options.
Sounds like a plan. Be sure to check back and let us know what you decided and how it worked out.

Looks like a pretty sweet Man Cave.

Steve/bluewizard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Tags
2-channel audio , buildout , speaker placement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page