Is Tidal cutting back on its library? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 1 Post By Class A
  • 1 Post By bluewizard
  • 1 Post By NewAger
  • 3 Post By Ratman
  • 1 Post By qirex
  • 1 Post By Ratman
  • 3 Post By Class A
  • 2 Post By RockAddict
  • 2 Post By NewAger

post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 4138
Thumbs up Is Tidal cutting back on its library?

On my playlist I have Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions 20 greatest Hits. I went to it today and found only six songs listed. I went and looked for the Album and it was no longer listed. Has this happened to anyone else?
Scotth3886 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
I wonder if they don't periodically have to re-negotiate with the Record Labels. Though I have not experienced it directly, I know certain music disappeared from Spotify when the contract ran out, and while they were negotiating a new contract. Once negotiations were complete, the music re-appeared.

I can't say that this is the case with your example, just that is a possible explanation.

Steve/bluewizard
Class A likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
It's the nature of the beast with contracts, and it obviously also affects non-streaming download purchases. Even limited physical product commonly have a set period of time to sell dictated by license. I've bought hundreds of albums through 7Digital over the years, and about a dozen of them are no longer available. Expected, which is why I download immediately and backup, backup, backup.
SuperFist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
Why do you think it's called "Tidal"?
Content ebbs and flows.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #5 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
On my playlist I have Curtis Mayfield and The Impressions 20 greatest Hits. I went to it today and found only six songs listed. I went and looked for the Album and it was no longer listed. Has this happened to anyone else?
I've had that happen with a couple of Prince songs a couple years back. I don't think it happens a lot, but it does happen. Like others have said, it's probably a contract/money thing.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #6 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I've definitely had stuff vanish from playlists and also I've seen albums disappear from my favorites only to be there on the artist page with different cover art, which I'd assume means a re-release licensed under a different contract or whatever. As a fan of 80s and 90s electronic and hip hop I'm used to the selection being kind of whack-a-mole thanks to sample clearance but I mostly use streaming to find music I want to buy.
Newbie789 likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 1948
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
Class A likes this.

If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough – Albert Einstein
post #8 of 11 Old 06-11-2019, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 4138
Thumbs up

I was talking to my dealer today and he told me that Tidal has a reputation of paying their bills late. He was not surprised by the elimination of that record. Basically I still like to have a large collection of physical media. Streaming is an excellent way to demo new music and explore other forms of music that I have not heard. Renting is a gamble and you're at the mercy of the distributor.
RockAddict, NewAger and pappaduke like this.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
I was talking to my dealer today and he told me that Tidal has a reputation of paying their bills late. He was not surprised by the elimination of that record. Basically I still like to have a large collection of physical media. Streaming is an excellent way to demo new music and explore other forms of music that I have not heard. Renting is a gamble and you're at the mercy of the distributor.
A perfect illustration of the reasons why purchasing physical releases or, at the very least, downloading (legal) files is preferable to streaming (at least to me) - notwithstanding the excellent observation about using streaming as a means of exploring new music. I use YouTube similarly.

I guess it's about how someone listens to music. If it's casual listening in the form of personalised radio without being too bothered about individual artists / bands, then streaming makes perfect sense. But, if the interest is artist and/or release specific, then streaming is ultimately going to disappoint and frustrate when releases disappear or move to another platform which would require yet another subscription to get access. Maybe, just maybe, artists will find a way of streaming their own material from their own servers with a nominal pay-per-listen but that's trickier.
NewAger and SuperFist like this.

Main system: Rotel RA-1572 (int amp - looking to upgrade); Cocktail Audio X10 (main source); Sony UHP-H1 Blu-ray/SACD player (secondary source); Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers.
Looking at: Parasound Halo P6 (pre); NAD C 658 (pre); Parasound NewClassic 275 v.2 (power); Parasound NewClassic 2125 v.2 (power); PS Audio Stellar S300 (power)
post #10 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Download purchases are typically the optimal point for me as you still have control over the music, though physical is not an issue if it's the best quality available which is usually the case with limited edition releases mastered and distributed by small labels. A streaming-only world for music would be terrible.
glangford and RockAddict like this.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Yea, sounds like bill paying and contract stuff as well. Not unlike how sometimes a cable channel or two disappears that I like, only to reappear a few months later.

Supercharged Song Towers, Oppo BDP-203, Anthem MRX-520, LG B6 OLED
Headphone Rig: Oppo BDP-95, Burson Audio Soloist MKII Headphone amp/ Sennheiser HD800S, Sennheiser HD650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page