Vinyl Newbie Bought A Turntable - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Vinyl Newbie Bought A Turntable

Welll I acquired a pretty good record collection of about 300 lps from the 70s & 80s not too long ago. Excellent condition, many still in the shrink wrap and some not even opened. Very well taken care of. I always thought vinyl seemed like alot of work and was expensive. I was originally going to try and sell the collection but became fascinated with them and the history they represent.

So I started buying alot of new vinyl too. I knew there was no turning back after that. I finally decided on a turntable and Picked up a Technics 1200GR with Ortofon Blue. Had to figure out how to set it up properly, which took a bit of time on my part since I had never done it. But got it up and running today and so far I really like it. Will have to play with it a bit more and play a variety of lps to really evaluate it. But so far so good. Have it hooked up to a Yamaha 801 with Klipsch Forte III speakers. I've heard the 801 doesn't have the best phono stage but I can always upgrade in the future. but so far it sounds good to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	318.0 KB
ID:	2579234   Click image for larger version

Name:	T3.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	2579236   Click image for larger version

Name:	T4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	2579238  
shivaji likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4904 Post(s)
Liked: 3629
Welcome to vinyl.

I would suggest the best way to make decisions about the difference in sound quality between phono preamps is by listening to them under scientifically controlled conditions. Thanks to the work of a vinyl enthusiast who has made Hi-res recordings of different phono preamps available using a studio quality recording chain, and my synchronization and level matching of the files, you can do that here.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-12-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
Welcome to vinyl.

I would suggest the best way to make decisions about the difference in sound quality between phono preamps is by listening to them under scientifically controlled conditions. Thanks to the work of a vinyl enthusiast who has made Hi-res recordings of different phono preamps available using a studio quality recording chain, and my synchronization and level matching of the files, you can do that here.
thanks for the info. It won't be a while before I actually purchase a phono pre. Need to recoup for now. So I have plenty of time to research. I'll definitely check out the provided link.
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
thanks for the info. It won't be a while before I actually purchase a phono pre. Need to recoup for now. So I have plenty of time to research. I'll definitely check out the provided link.
I think for many the first step after getting everything up and running if getting a good way to clean the LPs and stylus. You good on that front or need help?
post #5 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think for many the first step after getting everything up and running if getting a good way to clean the LPs and stylus. You good on that front or need help?
kind of- I bought a spin clean, carbon fiber brush. Mofi sleeves. Also some nice 4ML outer sleeves and some other accessories. I think I have cleaned close to 200 lps so far, even the new stuff I bought. I know there are better records cleaners but for now it seems to work well. I clean them and semi dry with micro fiber cloth and then let air dry propped up in some plastic dish racks. I played a few lps today and they seem dead quiet.

But you have any suggestions or input I am all ears. Lots to learn.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 05:44 PM

If you are getting good results already I'd stick with that.

I like the dish rack idea for drying. I'll have to add that to my rig! Much better than leaning it against the wall. LOL
post #7 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Congratulations! You have done well young Jedi Knight! Seriously, there's something special about being interactive with your source material. You have a nice set up. Enjoy!
thetman likes this.

Jolida Fusion Preamp, Jolida JD1000P Amp, VPI Scout turntable with Dynavector 10X5 cartridge, Paradigm Studio 100 v.5 speakers, Sonica DAC streaming lossless files. Furman Elite 15 Power Conditioner.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 3858 Post(s)
Liked: 2362
Quote:
kind of- I bought a spin clean, carbon fiber brush. Mofi sleeves. Also some nice 4ML outer sleeves and some other accessories. I think I have cleaned close to 200 lps so far, even the new stuff I bought. I know there are better records cleaners but for now it seems to work well. I clean them and semi dry with micro fiber cloth and then let air dry propped up in some plastic dish racks. I played a few lps today and they seem dead quiet.

But you have any suggestions or input I am all ears. Lots to learn.

And one other toy. If you live in a cold climate where it gets dry and static in the winter. Plus, if you order from Amazon and get any products made in china with the pesky clingy Styrofoam packing, this great for getting that off of you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	zerostat.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2579398  
post #9 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If you are getting good results already I'd stick with that.

I like the dish rack idea for drying. I'll have to add that to my rig! Much better than leaning it against the wall. LOL
my wife picked up three of them for $5 each for me from Walmart I think. they work great.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
And one other toy. If you live in a cold climate where it gets dry and static in the winter. Plus, if you order from Amazon and get any products made in china with the pesky clingy Styrofoam packing, this great for getting that off of you.
It does get cold in the winter here in New England. So this really works then? Seems Vinyl has alot of accessories to go along with this hobby. I'll look into it thanks.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It does get cold in the winter here in New England. So this really works then? Seems Vinyl has alot of accessories to go along with this hobby. I'll look into it thanks.

It must contribute as I have a big bunch of completely tick, click and pop free albums, some of which I've owned for 50 - 70 years.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 09:07 AM

Much like rubbing a balloon against your hair causes a build up of static electricity, the stylus (us old people sometimes call it a "needle") being raked through the vinyl grooves also builds up static electricity after minutes of play. Some turntables have a means to dissipate this charge through the platter by making it out of metal, using a conductive mat, and grounding the platter to the earth ground. Other turntables aren't so lucky and this static electricity can make a loud (through your speakers) "snap", "crackle", or "pop" noise. Since imperfect records themselves have pops and ticks it is difficult if not impossible to differentiate which subtle tick sounds are static discharges and which are groove anomalies.

Besides the Zerostat gun some people report successful relief by buying a room humidifier for the seasons of the year when they are afflicted with the snaps.

Pulling a record out of its sleeve also can cause a static charge.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-13-2019 at 09:12 AM.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Welcome to the world of vinyl. I'm relatively new as well. It's been a fun ride so far. I'm using the Spin Clean, too, since most of my LP's are bought used from local record shops. I think the Spin Clean does a nice job. I like the dish rack idea. At some point, if my collection continues to grow, I'll invest in a good record vacuum.

Nice score on that cache of LP's. Any chance you acquired a mint copy of Steely Dan's Can't Buy a Thrill that you'd be willing to part with relatively cheaply?

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

Dedicated ARC Genesis Thread
post #14 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Welcome to the world of vinyl. I'm relatively new as well. It's been a fun ride so far. I'm using the Spin Clean, too, since most of my LP's are bought used from local record shops. I think the Spin Clean does a nice job. I like the dish rack idea. At some point, if my collection continues to grow, I'll invest in a good record vacuum.

Nice score on that cache of LP's. Any chance you acquired a mint copy of Steely Dan's Can't Buy a Thrill that you'd be willing to part with relatively cheaply?
Yes the spin clean does pretty good. I cleaned about 25 more this morning. Even the new ones I bought. Things do seem to sound different on Vinyl on my system. Again depending on the recording, but I have been spinning records that I have the cd version too to compare with.

I actually did have a mint copy of Can't buy a Thrill in the collection I got. still in the shrink wrap, looks like it never has ben played. Sorry, I think I am hanging onto it though
post #15 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Much like rubbing a balloon against your hair causes a build up of static electricity, the stylus (us old people sometimes call it a "needle") being raked through the vinyl grooves also builds up static electricity after minutes of play. Some turntables have a means to dissipate this charge through the platter by making it out of metal, using a conductive mat, and grounding the platter to the earth ground. Other turntables aren't so lucky and this static electricity can make a loud (through your speakers) "snap", "crackle", or "pop" noise. Since imperfect records themselves have pops and ticks it is difficult if not impossible to differentiate which subtle tick sounds are static discharges and which are groove anomalies.

Besides the Zerostat gun some people report successful relief by buying a room humidifier for the seasons of the year when they are afflicted with the snaps.

So far everything I have played has been relatively quiet, but its been only new vinyl so far. A few very minor clicks here and there. Something I am not used to when listening to music, have to get used to it I guess. Also having to flip the record over. spoiled from cds/sacds I guess. I use a carbon fiber brush on each lp before I play it. I may have to look into the gun thing.
Any other accessories I should know about?
post #16 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I actually did have a mint copy of Can't buy a Thrill in the collection I got. still in the shrink wrap, looks like it never has ben played. Sorry, I think I am hanging onto it though
Aw, you're killing me! But seriously, that's very cool for you, as it seems to be a tough one to find. It's the one Steely Dan album I have not been able to find anywhere in the record shops near me. Not even a beat up copy. I've seen sealed early pressings selling on Discogs and eBay for $250+, so you could very well have something pretty valuable there. Enjoy!

Pre/Pro: Anthem AVR 60 | 5.2.4 Config: MartinLogan ElectroMotion ESL X FL/FR, ESL C Center, Motion LX16 Surrounds, Motion 4i Atmos | Subs: Velodyne DD-15, Martin Logan Dynamo 1100x | Amplification: Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 1 FL/C/FR, Emotiva A-700 Surrounds and Atmos

post #17 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyRider View Post
Aw, you're killing me! But seriously, that's very cool for you, as it seems to be a tough one to find. It's the one Steely Dan album I have not been able to find anywhere in the record shops near me. Not even a beat up copy. I've seen sealed early pressings selling on Discogs and eBay for $250+, so you could very well have something pretty valuable there. Enjoy!
wow, big money for some of these records. crazy, I think I have can't buy a thrill too and some others. will have to check the list
post #18 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Any other accessories I should know about?
You can try different platter mats -- cork, felt, etc. Also consider trying a record clamp or weight. They will all affect the overall sound to a certain extent. I think your TT has a removeable headshell, so you could pick up extra headshells off Amazon and mount up different cartridges that you can swap out. That gives you the option to have a second headshell with a less expensive cartridge mounted up for use with older, worn vinyl.
thetman likes this.

post #19 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 11:01 AM

All Steely Dan music is great music but there's something special about the album Pretzel Logic: It was the world' first record ever made where the mixing was done while listening with the integration of a new-to-audio concept we now call a "subwoofer". It was an experimental design which was so successful the entire band wanted one [they called in "The Bottom End"] so the designers then started the company M&K, the first to market satellite/subwoofer packages.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by m. zillch; 06-13-2019 at 11:05 AM.
post #20 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
All Steely Dan music is great music but there's something special about the album Pretzel Logic: It was the world' first record ever made where the mixing was done while listening with the integration of a new-to-audio concept we now call a "subwoofer". It was an experimental design which was so successful the entire band wanted one [they called in "The Bottom End"] so the designers then started the company M&K, the first to market satellite/subwoofer packages.
That's really interesting! I had never heard that. Any Major Dude off that album is one of the tracks (ripped to FLAC) that I always take along with me when I'm going to audition speakers. It always struck me as a particularly well-mixed, well-balanced track. I would guess it may have something to do with what you mentioned above.
m. zillch likes this.

post #21 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Even if it did nothing for the LP, it's almost worth it for dealing with Chinese packing Styrofoam that breaks into little pieces and jumps on you never to lose its grip.

Once in a while I'll have a pop start up and I go over to the turntable and shoot the LP while its playing and the pop goes away.

Last edited by Scotth3886; 06-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 PM

My turntable is immune to this so I've only experienced static when working with other ones. Does the ionizer gun make the room smell like "freshly fallen rain" or something similar? They say those smoke ionizers do that.
post #23 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My turntable is immune to this so I've only experienced static when working with other ones. Does the ionizer gun make the room smell like "freshly fallen rain" or something similar? They say those smoke ionizers do that.

I didn't understand. Immune to what? The gun produces no smell that I'm aware of. Overall, I've had very little static, but I do use a humidifier in the winter. Static I had was ex-wife.
post #24 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 05:43 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have two Staticmaster brushes. The current ones work using the radioactive isotope Polonium 210, but mine are much older and I think they use Americium 241. I don't know how effective they are; the company recommends replacing the Polonium strip annually; I think mine is 50 years old, so probably not very effective, except as a brush. Po 210 has a half-life of 138 days so one year is about 3 half-lives so its activity would be 1/8 of its original activity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Staticmaster.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	2579776  
post #25 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
I didn't understand. Immune to what?
Static electricity buildup.
post #26 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Static electricity buildup.

I haven't had much of it, at least not in this house.
post #27 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Example of using cheap dish drying racks for lps. Spin clean, then a light drying with micro fiber cloth and sit for a bit. They work great. cleaned my new Queen box set today.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dry.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	2579922  
post #28 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM

Oh I forgot to mention that although I don't frown on necessarily using cleaning compounds, I always apply a final rinse using nothing but 100% distilled water* only. This way any remaining water evaporates entirely rather than leaving mineral deposits.

* you can buy a gallon for cheap at many supermarkets.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #29 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
I can also highly recommend Allsop's Orbitrac record cleaning system for quick record cleanups just before playing. It had been discontinued for some time, but Allsop brought it back last year as the Orbitrac 3. Amazon carries it and the replacement pads and fluid. There's also the Onzow Zerodust for cleaning the stylus. It can be pricy, but prices seem to have dropped since i bought mine a couple of years ago.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #30 of 33 Old 06-14-2019, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention that although I don't frown on necessarily using cleaning compounds, I always apply a final rinse using nothing but 100% distilled water* only. This way any remaining water evaporates entirely rather than leaving mineral deposits.

* you can buy a gallon for cheap at many supermarkets.
yes, I only use distilled water in the spin clean and rinse out the pads with distilled water too. My tap water is pretty good- but like you said, Distilled gallon jugs are pretty cheap. I grabbed a few more today to have on hand.
m. zillch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page