Which Album (CD or Vinyl) Are you listening to now Part 2 - Page 129 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22789Likes

post #3841 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 30886
VA | nativity in black (a tribute to BLACK SABBATH) vols. I & II

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 5750
Eric Clapton

Crossroads

Disc 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eric Clapton - Crossroads.JPG
Views:	6
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	2653788  

Spoiler!
post #3843 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 24215
vinyl

Quote:
California Feeling is an album by Del Kacher, released in 1979.

Delton "Del" Kacher (aka "Casher"; born 1938, Hammond, Indiana) is an American guitarist and inventor. He invented the Wah-wah pedal, the Ecco-Fonic, and the Fender Electronic Echo Chamber. He was the first to introduce the Roland Guitar Synthesizer for the Roland Corporation.

Kacher is an alumnus of the University of Pittsburgh where he majored in communications. After college, he moved to Hollywood and was invited to perform as the guitar and banjo soloist on the Lawrence Welk TV show.

Kacher was a popular studio guitarist in Hollywood. He appeared with Elvis Presley in his movie Roustabout. Presley invited him for future engagements. Kacher appeared on Gene Autry's TV show. He also played with Eddy Arnold, Connie Francis, Bobby Vinton, Sonny and Cher, and the Mothers of Invention.

In the mid-1960s Thomas Organ Company acquired the Vox amplifier. Kacher was a guitarist and consultant for Vox. The solid state engineering staff at Thomas Organ converted the UK Vox amplifier into the US Vox solid state amplifier. To save costs, Vox had the Mid-Range Boost Switch redesigned into a variable tone control. As Kacher worked on the project, he discovered that when he moved the tone control from left to right on the amplifier, it created a "wah" sound similar to a harmonica player cupping his hands around the microphone and harmonica. It enabled him to express a bluesy feeling on the electric guitar.

Casher asked the engineering team to have a breadboard with that circuit installed into a Vox organ volume pedal. This enabled him to play his guitar while moving the pedal. However, with the rich harmonics of the guitar, the sound was too harsh in the "bright" position and too muddy in the "mellow" position. With a little experimenting, Casher and the Vox engineering staff were able to create a sound similar to a trumpet "wah" mute. Vox saw no use for a "wah" sound for the guitar, believing it would be better for the electric trumpet. In 1967, after some negotiating, Vox agreed to have Del compose and release a record using the new Wah-wah pedal.

50 YEARS AGO THE WAH WAH, DEL KACHER, AND FRANK ZAPPA
“I had a nice garage studio at my place in the Hollywood Hills,” Casher recalls. “One day, Frank Zappa knocks on my door and says, ‘I hear you have a good studio.’ I’m looking at him, with the beard and the hair, wondering who he was.”

Zappa was on assignment to do a song for Roger Corman’s 1966 sci-fi flick Queen of Blood, and he needed an out-of-this-world sound. “Frank brought actress Florence Marly in, she’s singing these really wild lyrics, ‘Space Boy, Space Boy, sex without soul,’ and I thought it’d go nowhere fast.

“I started overdubbing my parts, and Frank says, ‘Make it as spacey and weird as you can.’ So I got my oscillator out, and soon the sounds were whizzing by, really weird and wild. And then Zappa says, ‘Can I overdub the drums now?’ And I thought this wacko is going to screw up everything I just did. In one take, he did it, it was perfect. We hit it off, and he invited me to join his band.”

Soon Casher was leading a double life, doing morning sessions for the squares who watched Autry’s Melody Ranch and at night sitting in with Zappa and the Mothers of Invention at the Whisky a Go-Go. “So I was doing the Hollywood music business from A to Z,” Casher quips.

But the wah was a hard sell, even to musicians who would later embrace it. “I played it for James Brown and he really liked my playing, but he didn’t understand the wah-wah at all,” Casher recalls. “He said, ‘Why the f*** would anyone want a guitar to do that?’ I tried to explain that it was a way to allow the guitar to really be expressive and reach people, like a voice, or a harmonica, to reach the soul. He didn’t see it. I mean, my conventional people who I worked for, Gene Autry, Lawrence Welk, you know, the suits, I couldn’t even try to use the wah with them — it was too weird, way out for them.

I called Frank Zappa and said, ‘I’m having a problem getting people to use it,’ and of course he took one. He was playing it in New York, and Jimi Hendrix heard it and asked him about it, so we made sure he got one. In ’67, Jimi was just getting started with his recording. He used it brilliantly, but it wasn’t until Jimi played it in the rain at Woodstock that everyone just went crazy for it. The rest is history.”

Hendrix would make the sound particularly notable in one chorus of “All Along the Watchtower.” In 1971, Isaac Hayes and Charles Pitts, a Memphis guitarist known as Skip, would use it on the “Shaft” theme. Mr. Casher remembers that when he first heard it, he was stunned. “They’d come up with this wacka-wacka-wacka sound by making the wah-wah move up and down like a cymbal,” he says. “You think you have it all figured out, and then someone comes up with more. I feel gratified that I was there at the beginning,” Mr. Casher says, noting that bands from Pearl Jam to U2 have recorded with the wah.

Casher says. “I still have that original prototype that Vox gave me, and I’d like to see it go into the Smithsonian or Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It’s that significant.”

After this story was originally published online, I received an email from John W. Troutman, curator of American music at the Smithsonian Institution’s division of culture and the arts. He had read the piece and wanted Casher’s contact information. Subsequent exchanges between Casher and Troutman point to the Smithsonian’s impending acquisition of the inventor’s wah-wah pedal prototype.

“Over the last 50 years, only a handful of innovations have truly revolutionized the sound of the electric guitar,” Troutman wrote. “The wah-wah is one of them. It radically transformed the instrument’s voice in a slew of genres, and Del Casher stood at the pedal’s ground zero. Combine that claim to fame with the astonishing fact that Del held the guitar chair for both Lawrence Welk’s and Frank Zappa’s bands, and we find in his work a fascinating contribution to the pantheon of American music.”
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kacher Del.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2653786   Click image for larger version

Name:	Del Kacher.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	2653794   Click image for larger version

Name:	wah-demo.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	2653796  
SuperFist, Class A and Panson like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3844 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Michael Lee Firkins - Yep

Quote:
Michael Lee Firkins, a Blues Rock and Roots Rock guitar virtuoso, went into the studio with Chuck Leavell, keyboardist extraordinaire of The Allman Brothers Band along with the killer rhythm section from Gov't Mule's drummer Matt Abts and (ex-Mule) bassist Andy Hess. These four master musicians meet in Johnny Neel's Nashville Studio to create musical magic. Michael Lee Firkins takes the album home to fine tune it and, almost 10 years later, delivered this blend of classic Blues, Rock and Country.
post #3845 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eric Clapton

Crossroads

Disc 3
Attached Thumbnails

ID:	2653820  

Spoiler!
post #3846 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Rockfish Crossing is an album by Mason Proffit, released in 1972.

Mason Proffit is widely considered by obscure rock aficionados to be one of the best bands who never made it to the big time. Although they are mostly overlooked today, along with the Byrds, Michael Nesmith, and others, they helped to invent country-rock.

Brothers Terry Talbot and John Michael Talbot played together in several local bands around Indianapolis, Indiana and later in Chicago. In 1969, they formed Mason Proffit with a focus on the emerging blend of folk, country and rock that would come to be called country rock. They were among the first to combine the energy and instrumentation of rock with the subject matter and twang of country.

The band's fortunes took a positive turn in 1972 when they were signed by Warner Bros. and released their fourth album, Rockfish Crossing. They used their Warner Bros. connection to tour with the Grateful Dead but it didn't help them with the record buying public. They continued touring, performing up to 300 concerts each year. Their country-rock-bluegrass style was innovative yet difficult to place in a marketing genre. Their live shows were high-energy.

Some of Mason Proffit's opening acts during that time included The Doobie Brothers, Steely Dan, John Denver, and Mac Davis.

Once, while jamming with The Scruggs Review, John Hartford and the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Earl Scruggs called John Talbot "the best banjo player I've ever heard."

In 1973, they released one last album and then broke up. After the break-up, the Talbot brothers began to record contemporary Christian music, earning a Grammy nomination.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Rockfish.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	2653822  
post #3847 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 5257
Thumbs up

Iron Butterfly In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
post #3848 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Troubadour of the Great King is an album by John Michael Talbot, released in 1981.

This 60-minute double recording was created to celebrate the 800th birthday of St. Francis of Assisi. With full orchestra, the lyrics are from St. Francis's writings and favorite scripture passages.

Brothers Terry Talbot and John Michael Talbot formed Mason Proffit in 1969. Earl Scruggs called John Talbot "the best banjo player I've ever heard. After five Mason Proffit albums, the Talbot brothers began to record contemporary Christian music, earning a Grammy in 1983.

John Michael Talbot is a multi-platinum selling, Grammy / Dove award winning Contemporary Christian Music pioneer. His music has been the soundtrack to the faith journey of millions of believers throughout the world. He is celebrating his 55th album. A Best-Selling Author, John Michael’s 31st book, Francis of Assisi's Sermon on the Mount was recently published in 2019.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Talbot John Michael.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	2653872  
post #3849 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 833 Post(s)
Liked: 6012

Bela Bartok
Suite No. 1
Concerto for Orchestra
Thomas Dausgaard, conductor
BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
Nov. 2019

File under: Suite No. 1 (Bartok early years, Classical/Early Romantic style), Concerto for Orchestra (Bartok later years, folk music influence and tonality/modernism)

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF Q150, Nuforce DDA-120, Lenovo Ultrabook
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), NAD 326BEE, B&W ASW608
post #3850 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagtopFE View Post
Eric Clapton

Crossroads

Disc 2
A must own boxed set
RagtopFE likes this.
post #3851 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 27566
Thumbs up

MICHAEL LEE FIRKINS

. . . . . . Yep

(Amazon Prime)

Sounds good so far Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MICHAEL LEE FIRKINS Yep (Amazon Prime).jpg
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	2654078  

Regards, Ken (Retired) Mike's Subwoofer Guide
7.1.2) Denon 4520CI; Aircom T-8, Samsung 55H8000; OPPO 203; 6x SVS Ultra BS,
Ultra Center; FH 2xPolk; Rythmik F12; CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD (x2)
2.1 Ch.) Nak RE-1, CR7A, BD F7500, Denon 300F/Ortofon 2M Bronze;
ADS L1290(x2); PINNACLE BABYBOOMER SUB, PANAMAX MR4300
post #3852 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Eric Clapton

Crossroads

Finishing up with Disc 4
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	5
ID:	2654086  

Spoiler!
post #3853 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Donna Summer

On The Radio
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Donna Summer - On The Radio.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	2654116  

Spoiler!
post #3854 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Songs and Thoughts At Christmastime is an album by Melva Niles.

In 1948, Melva Niles created the role of Solis in the Broadway premiere of “Magdalena,” composed by one of Brazil’s most famous composers, Heitor Villa-Lobos. She also starred in the Broadway production of “Song of Norway.” While touring in Song of Norway, Ms. Niles sang at the National Theater in Washington DC, from November 10 through November 22, 1947, where Mrs. Harry Truman and daughter Margaret attended one of her performances. The ladies were so taken with the stunning voice and the sincerity of the star, she received a personal invitation to lunch at the White House, where she met and dined with President Truman. During the national tour of “Song of Norway,” she met Clifford Joseph Barborka Jr., whom she married in June 1949.

Among her favorite performances was singing at the New York World’s Fair in 1964 and the dedication of the Space Needle in Seattle, Washington.

At the popular musical theater production company Valley Music Hall in Bountiful, Utah, Melva Niles Barborka performed in “Kiss Me, Kate”, “The King and I”, and “I Do, I Do.”

Melva also starred in the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera productions of “Magdalena” and “Song of Norway.” Edwin Lester, the company’s longtime producer and founder, said she had “the most beautiful soprano voice I have ever heard.”

She passed away on March 12, 2012 in South Jordan, Utah, at the age of 86.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Niles Melva.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2654132  
SuperFist and Panson like this.
post #3855 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

BOZ SCAGGS

(cd)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BOZ SCAGGS (cd).jpg
Size:	694.8 KB
ID:	2654140  

post #3856 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 753
Simply Red - Blue Eyed Soul (Deluxe), CD. Mick Hucknall's voice is amazing and Holding Back the Years is a true classic, but a lot of what I've heard from Simply Red hasn't really appealed to me. I'm finding this album, though, with it's more straight forward Soul (at least, once you get past the first track which has an incongruous Pop arrangement) approach quite enjoyable. Overall, it kinda sounds like Rod Stewart backed-up by the JBs, to be clear, not as good as I'd imagine that would be, but in that vein. I picked-up the Deluxe version, because I do that kind of thing, which has a second disc with the "Original Versions" of the first two tracks (the singles, I'm guessing) and some remixes. Especially in the case of the first track, the "Original Versions" are more like the rest of the album and more enjoyable than the versions they actually put on the album.
Morgan
post #3857 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

SIMPLY RED

PICTURE BOOK

(cd)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SIMPLY RED PICTURE BOOK (cd).jpg
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	2654172  

post #3858 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

. . . . a new flame
SIMPLY RED

(CD)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SIMPLY RED a new flame (CD).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	2654192  

post #3859 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Church-The Blurred Crusade
March 1982

File under: New Wave/Psychedelic Rock

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, B&W ASW610, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz CD5004, Lenovo Ideapad, AQ DF Red, Zen Blue
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, SVS SB-1000, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
post #3860 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Mystery Road is the third album by Drivin' n' Cryin', released in 1989.

The album contains some of the band's most memorable songs, such as “Honeysuckle Blue” and “Straight To Hell.”

Cover art by Norma Kinney, Kevn's grandmother.

AllMusic Review:
Though not as strong as Whisper Tames the Lion, Mystery Road keeps Drivin' n' Cryin' in search of the best way to fuse their harder rock leanings with their traditional Southern roots, as they vacillate from the crunch of "You Don't Know Me" to the wistful "Peacemaker." Peter Buck guests on electric dulcimer throughout.
post #3861 of 4730 Old 12-14-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Carly Simon

Anticipation

SACD
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Carly Simon - Anticipation.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2654234  

Spoiler!
post #3862 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
That Casual Country Feeling is an album by Bill Anderson's Po' Boys, released in 1971.

James William Anderson III (age 82), known as Whisperin’ Bill Anderson, is an American country music singer, songwriter and television personality. He has been a member in long standing of the weekly Grand Ole Opry radio program and stage performance in Nashville, Tennessee, since 1961.

He has released more than 40 studio albums and has reached No. 1 on the country charts seven times.

One of the most successful songwriters in country music history, e Ray Price, Wanda Jackson, Connie Smith, Lynn Anderson, Jim Reeves, Conway Twitty, Eddy Arnold, Roy Clark, Con Hunley, Lefty Frizzell, Brad Paisley, Kenny Chesney, and George Strait have recorded his songs.

Anderson has been inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.

He won Song Of The Year honors in both 2005 and 2007 for helping to write “Whiskey Lullaby” for Brad Paisley and Allison Krauss and “Give It Away” for George Strait. He also won a Dove award for co-writing the Country/Gospel Recorded Song of the Year, “Jonah, Job, and Moses” for the Oak Ridge Boys, plus the CMA Vocal Event of the Year, “Too Country,” recorded by Brad Paisley, George Jones, Buck Owens, and Bill himself.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Po Boys.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	2654292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson Bill - Casual.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	2654294  
post #3863 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 07:09 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
A Blues Christmas is an album by various artists, released in 2015.

Koko Taylor - "Merry, Merry Christmas" (4:28)
Lil Ed & The Blues Imperials - "I'm Your Santa" (2:56)
Shemekia Copeland - "Stay A Little, Longer" (4:22)
The Holmes Brothers - "Back Door Santa" (3:05)
Katie Webster - "Deck The Halls With Boogie Woogie" (3:00)
Charlie Musselwhite - "Silent Night" (2:42)
Little Charlie & The Nightcats - "Santa Claus" (2:57)
Michael Iron Man Burks - "Christmas Snow" (3:58)
Marcia Ball - "Christmas Fais Do Do" (3:15)
Roomfull Of Blues - "Santa Claus, Do You Ever Get The Blues?" (3:21)
Tinsley Ellis - "Santa Claus We Want Some Lovin'" (3:23)
Elvin Bishop - "The Little Drummer Boy" (2:51)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Blues Christmas.jpg
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	2654310  
post #3864 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
All Natural Ingredients is an album by The McLain Family Band, released in 1983.

The McLain Family Band is a bluegrass group that was active in the 1970s and 1980s and still occasionally performs today. Formed in 1968, the band consisted of father Raymond K. McLain (1928-2003) on guitar, son Raymond W. McLain (b.1953) on banjo, fiddle, mandolin, vocals, and guitar, Alice McLain (b.1956) on vocals and mandolin, and Ruth McLain (b. 1958) on bass, vocals, and mandolin. In later years Nancy Ann McLain (b.1965) and Michael McLain (b.1967) joined the group, playing bass and guitar respectively. Alice's husband, Al White (b.1952), joined the band in 1977.

Between 1973 and 1986 the band released fourteen LPs, including their 1982 performance at Carnegie Hall.

The group toured 62 countries and all 50 states and have performed at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, Symphony Center's Orchestra Hall, and the Grand Ole Opry, in addition to appearing on The Today Show, CBS Morning News, Good Morning America, The BBC, and the Johnny Cash Christmas Special. The band also performed for a number of years at the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival created by Bill Monroe, the father of bluegrass.

From 1978 until 1988 the McLains hosted a family band festival at their Big Hill Farm near Berea, Kentucky, drawing crowds of more than 6,000 people. Participants included The Whites, Jim and Jesse, The Osborne Brothers, The Lewis Family, The Marshall Family, The Sally Mountain Show, and Blue Night Express (featuring two future members of the Dixie Chicks).
Autographed by Raymond K. McLain and Raymond W. McLain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	McLain.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	2654316  
post #3865 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 30886
ALL THEM WITCHES | atw

post #3866 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post
vinyl

A Blues Christmas

There's some gems on that album. Thx
Clarence likes this.
post #3867 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Baltic Inspiration: Piano Quartets
(Compositions by Arvydas Malcys and Peteris Vasks)
Ippolitiv-Ivanov Piano Quartet
Dec. 2019

File under: Chamber music

post #3868 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Country Weepers is an album by Laurie Loman, released in 1978.

A very popular touring singer of the late 1950's and early 60's, Laurie Loman toured the US during a time when young girl pop singers were very much in vogue and teen idol singers dominated the charts. While still a teen in the early 1950's, Laurie was offered a contact from ABC Paramount and began to tour quite regularly throughout the remainder of the 1950's.

She remained popular throughout the early 1960's and is now best known for her version of "Johnny Angel," which appeared years before TV star Shelley Fabares (Hayden Fox's love interest Christine Armstrong on the sitcom Coach and Elvis Presley's co-star in three films) made it a hit, no doubt inspired by Loman's original version. The Carpenters recorded "Johnny Angel" in 1973.

Years later, in the late 1970's, Laurie was recruited to record the album "Sings Country Weepers" featuring original songs written by pianist Stan Ecton, who accompanied Laurie on the album and well known standards such as "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," "Please Release Me" and Billy Vera's "Storybook Children."

HippieBilly:
Texas-born Laurie Loman was an amiable also-ran in the proto- girl-group pop-vocals scene of the late 1950s, cutting a few tracks for the mega-budget Tops label, as well as a couple of singles for ABC, working with pop producer Don Costa. Her best-known disc was released in 1960, when she recorded an early version of "Johnny Angel," two years ahead of the 1962 hit by Shelley Fabares. Loman quit the music business to have kids and raise a family, but decided to go back to the studio to cut this set of country(ish) material, which includes cover songs as well as some originals penned by pianist Stan Ecton, who backs her on these echo-heavy sessions. This is pretty campy and schmaltzy, but possibly not so exciting for most twangfans.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Loman Laurie.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	2654378  
post #3869 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

vinyl

Quote:
Greatest Hits is an album by The Whites, released in 1988.

The Whites are an American country music vocal group consisting of Sharon White (born 1953), her sister Cheryl (born 1955), and their father Buck (born 1930). In the 1980s, they scored such hits as "You Put The Blue In Me", "Hangin' Around", "Give Me Back That Old Familiar Feeling", "Pins And Needles", "If It Ain't Love (Let's Leave It Alone)", "Hometown Gossip", and "When The New Wears Off of Our Love".

In 1981, Sharon White married Ricky Skaggs, who performed on several of the Whites' early releases. This album was also produced by Ricky Skaggs. Their collaborative album with Ricky Skaggs, "Salt of the Earth" won the 2008 Grammy for Best Southern/Country/Bluegrass Album.

The Whites became members of the Grand Ole Opry in 1984 and are current regulars on the program in Nashville, Tennessee.

The Whites can be heard on the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack with the song "Keep on the Sunny Side". They also appear in Down from the Mountain, the documentary of a concert given by the soundtrack artists. The Whites have been nominated for 5 CMA Awards, including Best New Artist, Vocal Group of the Year, and Instrumental Group of the Year. They won Album of the Year in 2001 for their contribution to "O Brother, Where Art Thou?". In 1987, Sharon White and her husband Ricky Skaggs won the Vocal Duo of the Year award.
Autographed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Whites - Greatest.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	2654390  
post #3870 of 4730 Old 12-15-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dire Straits

Love Over Gold

I'm chasing down some turntable issues. On my current set-up, the arm doesn't lift when the album side is done, and there is humming coming through the speakers.

Dug out my old circa 1990 Pioneer VSX-5300 receiver & Bose 201 speakers to hook it up to for a comparison.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6951.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	413.1 KB
ID:	2654444  

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply 2-Channel Audio

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page